Football (soccer) in Melbourne

Guest Davido900

Guest Davido900

Hi,

I'm a 27 year old and, having just moved to Melbourne, am missing the football. Does anyone know of any teams (11 or 5 aside) in or around Melbourne and the inner suburbs. Strictly amateur (think Sunday League) but keen to get back on the pitch!

Cheers,

Dave :smile:

Guest chris_mac
Hi,

I'm a 27 year old and, having just moved to Melbourne, am missing the football. Does anyone know of any teams (11 or 5 aside) in or around Melbourne and the inner suburbs. Strictly amateur (think Sunday League) but keen to get back on the pitch!

Cheers,

Hi Dave

Try this link, it may point you in the right direction..

Melbourne Sporting Clubs Guide - Melbourne CommunityGuide

Best wishes

Chris

Have a look at Britvics, they have their own 5 a side team, Bordy may be able to tell you more.

Kate

The 5 a side teams play down Mornington way, if thats any good to you log into Britvics & pm Fred the red, he runs the team & is always looking for new players.

Dave,

I have been here 3 weeks (Warrandyte) and I am going to look into getting hooked up with a team soon.

I played / managed in England and I am pretty keen to do it here.

See the link

Football Federation Victoria

You should be able to find a team on here.

Where abouts are you?

Gary

Hi

Try this link Futsal Oz (Brunswick)

I played there on Monday filling in for my mates team in the lowest division (4) and it was pretty good, better than the indoor footy in England cos more skill is required.

Unfortunately, my dodgy knee didn't agree with me playing so I'm now going to have to register with the league and see if anyone wants a good goalkeeper.

Jim

Mate

wouldn't hesitate reccomending my footy club Middle Park. We are in one the top amateur leagues but plans are afoot to staring playing the Victorian Federation etc.

Main +ve's are it's cosmopolitan ie. not drawn along clear ethnic lines eg. All Greek or Croat etc. Not xenophobic but at least there's a spectrum of lads - plenty of Scousers (me included), Jocks, Irish, Southerners, Aussies, Canadians, Kiwis...

We play in the city (home games) then v's mainly Eastern Suburbs.

Home ground is in Albert Park so trams etc easy to get to (depends where you live of course)

Three teams + vets - be warned though pre-season started last Thursday (yep' in 40+ degree heat!) and last year they had to stop members joining 'cos we always get loads of lads so be quick.

Regualr social stuff.

Only costs approx. $260 for the year (they take care of kits, ref's, laundry...) better than gym membership!

all info etc here Middle Park Football Club | Kicking goals since 1969

Maybe see you down there?

Got a little baby girl this year though so only make Thursday nights.

Tararfornow & welcome to Melbourne.

Guest Davido900

Cheers guys for the ideas.

Both Futsal and Middle park sound great. Don't have a car so am unlikely to be able to make Britvics - but its great that there is so much amateur soccer in Melbourne.

For anyone who is interested on an even more casual level I've met a group of people who play in Fawkner park (basically social 5-10 aside) on the weekends.

• 4 months later...
Guest matdaddy

email info@dreamachievers.info

they organize floodlit social 8-a-side soccer games in Melbourne near CBD on astro-turf.

good standard organized games, no need to register a whole team

a few of us lads play regularly couple of nights a week. definitely recommend it

Guest taffyinoz

hey dave try the vfs website, victoriasoccerfederation.com.au, joing a club was the best thing i done when i moved out here, i played for cranbourne in state league 2 , great atmosphere at the club mostly british people there. if u haven't got transprot cranbourne will most prob be too far to travel.

• 1 month later...
Guest TonyF1983

Hi David,

Can you let me know if you have any luck finding regular 5-a-sides? I'm moving to Melbourne from Scotland in October and would be well up for getting involved in this.

Cheers,

Tony

• 5 months later...
Guest Dylan1986

alright guys, saw this link when searching google for Melbourne football clubs and thought i'd sign up and say hi :) My name's Dylan, i'm 23 and will be moving to Melbourne from Sussex in May, (decided finally to use the passport my father's nationallity has granted me!). So anyway, to keep on topic, I currently play for a club here in England, amateur league but a decent standard, (Search for Salvington FC if you're interested) and i'm desperate to find a good 11-a-side club to join.

More than anything it'd be great to make some contacts with like minded people before i come, have the feeling that will make the transition a bit easier.

cheers

Hi,

Cheers,

Hi David, my boyfriend is looking to play some football, is missing it terribly, if you could keep us posted of anything you find?!

Thanks

• 4 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
Guest samanthaj

Both Futsal and Middle park sound great. Don't have a car so am unlikely to be able to make Britvics - but its great that there is so much amateur soccer in Melbourne.

For anyone who is interested on an even more casual level I've met a group of people who play in Fawkner park (basically social 5-10 aside) on the weekends.

Hi, just wondering if you still play on the weekends at Fawkner Park, my husband is looking for a social kick about - originally from Scotland he is missing hanging out with Brits.

Guest Matty1985

To all who are interested

We have an indoor 5 a side team playing in Prahran Sunday nights. All the guys are Poms who met through this website.

We could use 2 or 3 more players in the squad. Next game is at 5pm this Sunday (2nd May). Anyone is welcome to come down. I've attached a map on the bottom of this email. It's easily accessible by train (5 minutes walk from Toorak station) and tram.

Cheers

Futsal – Indoor Soccer by Aussie Indoor Sports

Guest samanthaj
To all who are interested

We have an indoor 5 a side team playing in Prahran Sunday nights. All the guys are Poms who met through this website.

We could use 2 or 3 more players in the squad. Next game is at 5pm this Sunday (2nd May). Anyone is welcome to come down. I've attached a map on the bottom of this email. It's easily accessible by train (5 minutes walk from Toorak station) and tram.

Cheers

Futsal – Indoor Soccer by Aussie Indoor Sports

Thanks for the post - my husband is working this Sunday but will definately join you next week, who should he ask for?

Cheers

Guest Matty1985

Hi Samantha

Game this Sunday is at 7pm. Ask for the "Mighty Poms" team, or just give me a call when you arrive.

Any other queries give me a buzz - 0451125298

Cheers

Matt

• 2 weeks later...
Guest richefc

Matt - do you have room for any more players?

If so I'd be keen to get involved, my number is 0433368797

Cheers

Rich

Guest Chief

Umm ... I would love to see some Aussie Rules ... used to play it during the summer months at high school in the UK to stay fit for the Rugby Union winter season ...

I would also love to join a proper weights gym ... and do some scuba too ... any clues ?

Chief

• 5 months later...
Guest paul1981

Hi I have also just arrived in Melbourne and would be keen to play any football that is going in the city ans surrounding districts.

If anyone has space on any nights/teams then you please PM me.

Cheers

Paul

Hi I have also just arrived in Melbourne and would be keen to play any football that is going in the city ans surrounding districts.

If anyone has space on any nights/teams then you please PM me

Cheers

Paul

Check your emails mate, our club is having a recruitment drive at the moment, if anyone else is interested, leave your details here and ill get in touch :o)

Hi,

Cheers,

Hey

Did you manage to find a football team??? ... My boyfriend has been looking, he is missing it!! Been away from UK 12months however only in Melbourne 6 weeks!

Do you still meet up for football?

• 1 month later...
Guest ben row

hi i have been melbounre a few weeks i am desperate to start playing football i played at a good level at home conference north and also had trials when i was younger at Bolton BUry and stockport. i have been recently playing in perth at morley

Archived