You're currently viewing the forum as a Guest
register-now-button_orig.png
and join in with discussions   
ask migration questions
message other members

..and much much more!

Guest earnie

Any secondary teachers in Oz? What's it like there?

Guest earnie

Hi All,

I'm currently a science teacher in the UK at a High school with 70% A* - C passes with a real mix of catchment, (the good, the bad, and the very very ugly!:wacko:). I wondered if teaching is massively different out there, is there as much paperwork, OFSTED(Ouch! did I really say that!) etc. i.e is it better or worse in your experience. I know that this can depend on which type of school that you go for. I'm hoping that you guys can give me the benefit of your experience.

All comments are welcome, both good and bad!)

Cheers!:smile:

No Ofsted:notworthy: but states have their own assessment processes. Kids - well, most of them are kids and some of them are downright evil little monsters while others are perfectly angelic.

Still a lot of PC and paperwork though. It all depends on where you go really and how career driven your principal is as to how much extra stuff you will be required to do. Teaching in the Western Suburbs of Sydney for example is going to be totally different from the High School in Alice Springs which will be totally different from the High School in Mosman or Toorak

Guest earnie

Is your job better in Oz or the UK?

Is your job better in Oz or the UK?

Not really comparable, I changed career when I got here.

Guest hazel and dave

Hi,

I've been working in here for 3 weeks now and I am absolutely loving it! The school I work in is a bog standard comp in Victoria in a pretty poor area, but it's great. Kids are kids, but there is so much more freedom to be creative and the pace is so much more laid back. I started work 6 days after arriving and I was.... well..... slightly nervous to say the least, but my fears were unfounded - it's great!

Go for it!

Guest brandyoz

Hi I am a teacher too moving to QLD in August. Good luck on the move and hope you get some good advice.

Guest earnie

Hi All,

Could anyone tell me how long you have to validate you visa if you go down the state sponsored route. Is this the same for teaching in all states?

Thanks!