the negative thoughts thread, no positives please.

Guest kazmatt

Visted Perth in Nov08 - loved it completely but stayed with mates who moved over about 3years ago and they have the 'o' lingo going and its REALLY mind irrating annoying, to name but a few that gratted- Smoke break is called a Smoke'o', Fremantle is called Free'o', they even have a bleach called pine'o'. Why why why why? makes no sense and just sounds plan dumb.

....and breattttthhhhh.......feel a little better........

• Replies 100
  • Created
  • Last Reply

oooooohhh, I'm going to love it being a bit of a pedant for good English. The hearing's starting to go though so by the time we get there I should be stone deaf :) "Smoke'o'", say it's not true

Guest proud2beaussie
oooooohhh, I'm going to love it being a bit of a pedant for good English. The hearing's starting to go though so by the time we get there I should be stone deaf :) "Smoke'o'", say it's not true

Wouldn't be any worse than being told about "sarf london" !

I used to work with a guy who was always complaining about the way Australians speak,that was until he owned up to the fact that he couldn't read.

Funny,he never complained much after that.

Fair enough - It should have said one thread out of a few hundred posted every day, not individual posts. From an born and bred Aussi - whats your thoughts on newly arrived Brits?

I didn't mean it all nitpicky. I just mean that on top of your few posts out of hundred each day there are threads like this. But I agree. So, moving on.

I'm not a born and bred Aussie. I'm an ex-pom. I've been here a few years. And I have no problem with newly arrived brits, and I'm only too happy to help everyone. I just get a little upset (as you've probably guessed lol) when they are rude about the country that's taken them in. Especially about the people. I just worry so much about how Australia will end up, and whether it will end up like the UK. With little areas of certain ethnic backgrounds exclusively and with people starting to resent immigrants that refuse to assimilate ad be fully appreciative. I'm not saying you're not all extremely happy to be here, I can see how much people seem to celebrate. Lol. I just don't want the Aussie's to pigeon-hole the brits as whiney whingers.

To delboy - I'm not denying you freedom of speech. I guess I'm just trying to make the point (as is my right) that everyone has to be careful of what they say. (I'm not trying to encourage overt PC-ness) I'm just saying that every little thing someone says comes back to them in the end in reputation. And if some poms are always whinging then guess what kind of reputation they'll get.

My point is the age old one yes. Be grateful for what you get, and don't be disrespectful of other people's cultures. Simple as.

Actually the term "pommie" has nothing to do with the prisoners at all,it refers to the pom poms on the top of the helmets of the officers assigned to watch the prisoners.

From British Naval records the term "Pommie" came about from the red "pom-pon" on the top of the hats of British sailors who were involved in the transfer of prisoners to the Colonies. It was used as a derogatory term, but has since become a generalised term for English people. The term pommy or pom is commonly used by speakers of Australian English, New Zealand English, South African English and Afrikaans.

Some Australians have been known to call (to their ears 'well spoken' or British sounding) people from New Zealand - South Sea Poms[citation needed], or even to call fellow citizens that lack a perceptibly noticeable broad or general Australian English accent (typically cultivated Australian English) - Poms - whether mistakenly or purposely as a playful insult.

It is often shortened to pom. The origin of this term is not confirmed and there are several persistent false etymologies, most being backronyms, an example of which would be P.O.M.E, Prisoner Of Mother England. The Oxford English Dictionary (OED) strongly supports the theory that pommy originated as a contraction of "pomegranate".[2] The OED also suggests that the reason for this is that pomegranate is extinct Australian rhyming slang for immigrant; it cites an article from 14 November 1912, in a once-prominent Australian weekly magazine The Bulletin: "The other day a Pummy Grant (assisted immigrant) was handed a bridle and told to catch a horse." A popular alternative explanation for the theory that pommy is a contraction of "pomegranate", relates to the purported frequency of sunburn among British people in Australia, turning their fair skin the colour of pomegranates.[3] However, there is no hard evidence for the theory regarding sunburn.

Afalse etymology (or "backronym") common in both Australia and New Zealand is that pom originated as an acronym for "prisoner of (his/her) majesty" or "prisoner of mother England". Although many of the first British settlers in Australia were convicts sentenced to transportation to Australia, there is no evidence for this. Some proponents of this theory claim that upon arrival in the country they would be given a uniform with "POHM" or "POME" emblazoned on the back, which apparently stood for Prisoners Of Her Majesty but there are no images or examples of these uniforms.In addition, it is used to mean 'Product of Mother England'.

According to the Australia History musium in Canbera pom means pomegranate

Guest Graham&kym

Unless you are indigenous, Then you are a pom, or a european, or an immigrant. Yes you may have been born there, but Australia is, in terms of whites (can you say that still?) made of 1st, 2nd, 3rd, 4th generation immigrants!! accents? get over it.

Guest earlswood
Unless you are indigenous, Then you are a pom, or a european, or an immigrant. Yes you may have been born there, but Australia is, in terms of whites (can you say that still?) made of 1st, 2nd, 3rd, 4th generation immigrants!! accents? get over it.

Spot on......if you are a pom you are a pom...no matter what you try and change yourself into..you can scrub and srub but you are still British.....and be bloody proud of it.:jiggy:as the Aussiea are of being Australian.

Guest family guy
Spot on......if you are a pom you are a pom...no matter what you try and change yourself into..you can scrub and srub but you are still British.....and be bloody proud of it.:jiggy:as the Aussiea are of being Australian.

i agree most of australia celebrated australia day showing pride in there country, its a shame st georges day comes and goes each year without anyone batting an eyelid, should we not celebrate this great day the same?????????

i agree most of australia celebrated australia day showing pride in there country, its a shame st georges day comes and goes each year without anyone batting an eyelid, should we not celebrate this great day the same?????????

I expect most of them wouldn't know when it was!

I expect most of them wouldn't know when it was!

I think that is a very good point Kernow, if you asked 100 15-25 year olds how many would know? I have had quite a few lads work for me and most of them can hardly spell there own name! andy

Ahhh yes!! Just like the poms were invaded by the Angles, Saxons and Jutes, then there were the Romans and Vikings and....:wink:

Cheers, Bobj.

Ahhh yes!! Just like the poms were invaded by the Angles, Saxons and Jutes, then there were the Romans and Vikings and....:wink:

Cheers, Bobj.

1st, 2nd, 3rd, 4th generation immigrants!!
Angles, Saxons and Jutes, then there were the Romans and Vikings

:err: come on bobby!

Guest earlswood

100% we should celebrate it...first lets have a national holiday like the aussies do and then people would do it.....pity Australia day was ruined by some fools over there.

Guest kazmatt

i agree it should be a bank holiday, i think we do celebrate our great nation the same way the aussie do theres, but its usually when we are playing some kind of sport, i think the great way we support our country like we do in the world cup in football reflects how proud we are to be british, i also agree there is always a small minority that tries to destroy it. there were aussie flags flying everywhere on australia day and it would be great to see the same thing in britain on st georges day.

Guest kazmatt

there were aussie flags flying everywhere on australia day and it would be great to see the same thing in britain on st georges day.

obviously i mean the union jack not the aussie flag.

he who laughs last laughs loudest

Guest earlswood
i agree it should be a bank holiday, i think we do celebrate our great nation the same way the aussie do theres, but its usually when we are playing some kind of sport, i think the great way we support our country like we do in the world cup in football reflects how proud we are to be british, i also agree there is always a small minority that tries to destroy it. there were aussie flags flying everywhere on australia day and it would be great to see the same thing in britain on st georges day.

100% look how we go mental at sport with flags coming out of every orifice…the Brits are all passionate about their respective Countries and the spirit is the best in the world when it comes to adversity and times of trouble….Rule *********.:jiggy:

Rule *********.

Thread title says, 'Negative Thoughts Thread, No Positives Please', so I'm going to try to adhere to this.

Pommies: generally speaking .. generally being the operative word .. are GREAT communicators ! Cultural or an inherent trait I don't know, but I do know that Pommies enjoy communicating. They enjoy people. They enjoy the ridiculousness of life and of people. They can find something interesting and/or funny in any situation, no matter how bad it is. Pommies reach out to others. It's in their voices and the inflection. They express with enthusiasm, whether they're expressing rage, pain, humour, sarcasm, etc. Pommies express their feelings, opinions. The flow is outwards . Pommies are brave ! They say it, and let the chips fall where they may. They're prepared to take a risk .. to risk a punch to the jaw .. to risk rejection.

In a crowded bus, when fifteen men are sitting with their eyes down and headphones on, ingnoring the pregnant woman standing in the aisle, nine times out of ten it's a Pommie who'll offer their seat. And if the Pommie doesn't have a seat to offer and is also standing in the aisle, nine times out of ten they will say what others are thinking, namely .. 'Are any of you blokes going to get up and give this woman a seat ! '.

Then there's the sense of 'justice'. Again, cultural or inherent, I don't know. But Pommies instinctively seem to know what justice is and also what comprises injustice.

And be they introverted or extroverted, they're generally naturally forthcoming in standing for justice and opposing injustice, regardless that in doing so, they risk making themselves unpopular and risk embarrassment.

Now the negatives. In Australia, the average Pommie is often regarded as having a 'big' personality .. bigger than the average Aussie. Thus, Pommies are often described by Aussies as being 'loud mouths' and as 'having a chip on his/her shoulder'. When in fact, it's just Pommies being their natural, outgoing, enthusiastic, justice-aware, brave selves.

If we take this to a backyard bar-b-que type situation, we'll hear the Pommies shortly after entering the gate. The Pommies are those who're enthusiastically discussing last-night's tv show or last night's football game, or who're laughing about an absurdity that completely escapes the Aussies.

Compared to Pommies, Aussies often appear as if they've had a collective humour by-pass. Similar with their powers of observation. Their sense of justice/injustice isn't highly developed either. Enthusiasm isn't their strong point. And emotionally, they're repressed. UNTIL of course, they've had sufficient alcohol, which acts as a release.

Pommies give free expression to their opinions, emotions, humour, etc. with or without alcohol. And they're brave enough to own their emotions and opinions and innate enthusiasm anywhere: in supermarkets, at work, in social situations, on buses, etc. It comes naturally. And they're used to being around other Pommies who're the same, when they're in the UK.

Put them in the backyard bar-b-que situation after their arrival in Oz. Then watch the Ozzies and how they respond the the Natural Pom. No matter what the topic, the Pom is there .. right there .. finding absurdity or humour. The Pom is 'interested'. He's communicating .. or trying to. He'll make something interesting to liven a boring situation. Aussies by comparison are often permanently bored and boring. It's as if the life-force has departed many Aussies, maybe killed by the heat and vast empty spaces.

You'll hear a Pommie say (with enthusiastic inflection) ' Look at that bastard ! What the hell does he think he's doing !'. To which the average Aussie (who's failed to notice whatever it is) will do one of two things, generally speaking: (1) he'll remain unmoving, won't bother looking to see what the Pommie is talking about and will sometimes manage a shrug before taking another swig or (2) will turn in mild interest to see what the Pommie is talking about .. return to original position..take another swig ..and shrug.

The Pommie is focused outwards. The Aussie is turned inwards. What the Pommie finds or makes interesting .. the Aussie will dismiss as having no interest to him/her.

The Pommie is affected by everyone and everything around him. The Aussie is mainly concerned only about what has the potential to benefit or harm him/herself.

Pommies carved an empire. Aussies couldn't be bothered carving an empire if you lit a fire under their bums.

Pommies can turn an ordinary event such as buying ice-cream, into an adventure !

Aussies could manage to turn a Lottery win into a personal tragedy.

Don't tell me Pommies are whingers. Pommies are explosive ! They're alive !

Aussies appear to save their life-force for ' later '.

Generally speaking

Thread title says, 'Negative Thoughts Thread, No Positives Please', so I'm going to try to adhere to this.

Pommies: generally speaking .. generally being the operative word .. are GREAT communicators ! Cultural or an inherent trait I don't know, but I do know that Pommies enjoy communicating. They enjoy people. They enjoy the ridiculousness of life and of people. They can find something interesting and/or funny in any situation, no matter how bad it is. Pommies reach out to others. It's in their voices and the inflection. They express with enthusiasm, whether they're expressing rage, pain, humour, sarcasm, etc. Pommies express their feelings, opinions. The flow is outwards . Pommies are brave ! They say it, and let the chips fall where they may. They're prepared to take a risk .. to risk a punch to the jaw .. to risk rejection.

In a crowded bus, when fifteen men are sitting with their eyes down and headphones on, ingnoring the pregnant woman standing in the aisle, nine times out of ten it's a Pommie who'll offer their seat. And if the Pommie doesn't have a seat to offer and is also standing in the aisle, nine times out of ten they will say what others are thinking, namely .. 'Are any of you blokes going to get up and give this woman a seat ! '.

Then there's the sense of 'justice'. Again, cultural or inherent, I don't know. But Pommies instinctively seem to know what justice is and also what comprises injustice.

And be they introverted or extroverted, they're generally naturally forthcoming in standing for justice and opposing injustice, regardless that in doing so, they risk making themselves unpopular and risk embarrassment.

Now the negatives. In Australia, the average Pommie is often regarded as having a 'big' personality .. bigger than the average Aussie. Thus, Pommies are often described by Aussies as being 'loud mouths' and as 'having a chip on his/her shoulder'. When in fact, it's just Pommies being their natural, outgoing, enthusiastic, justice-aware, brave selves.

If we take this to a backyard bar-b-que type situation, we'll hear the Pommies shortly after entering the gate. The Pommies are those who're enthusiastically discussing last-night's tv show or last night's football game, or who're laughing about an absurdity that completely escapes the Aussies.

Compared to Pommies, Aussies often appear as if they've had a collective humour by-pass. Similar with their powers of observation. Their sense of justice/injustice isn't highly developed either. Enthusiasm isn't their strong point. And emotionally, they're repressed. UNTIL of course, they've had sufficient alcohol, which acts as a release.

Pommies give free expression to their opinions, emotions, humour, etc. with or without alcohol. And they're brave enough to own their emotions and opinions and innate enthusiasm anywhere: in supermarkets, at work, in social situations, on buses, etc. It comes naturally. And they're used to being around other Pommies who're the same, when they're in the UK.

Put them in the backyard bar-b-que situation after their arrival in Oz. Then watch the Ozzies and how they respond the the Natural Pom. No matter what the topic, the Pom is there .. right there .. finding absurdity or humour. The Pom is 'interested'. He's communicating .. or trying to. He'll make something interesting to liven a boring situation. Aussies by comparison are often permanently bored and boring. It's as if the life-force has departed many Aussies, maybe killed by the heat and vast empty spaces.

You'll hear a Pommie say (with enthusiastic inflection) ' Look at that bastard ! What the hell does he think he's doing !'. To which the average Aussie (who's failed to notice whatever it is) will do one of two things, generally speaking: (1) he'll remain unmoving, won't bother looking to see what the Pommie is talking about and will sometimes manage a shrug before taking another swig or (2) will turn in mild interest to see what the Pommie is talking about .. return to original position..take another swig ..and shrug.

The Pommie is focused outwards. The Aussie is turned inwards. What the Pommie finds or makes interesting .. the Aussie will dismiss as having no interest to him/her.

The Pommie is affected by everyone and everything around him. The Aussie is mainly concerned only about what has the potential to benefit or harm him/herself.

Pommies carved an empire. Aussies couldn't be bothered carving an empire if you lit a fire under their bums.

Pommies can turn an ordinary event such as buying ice-cream, into an adventure !

Aussies could manage to turn a Lottery win into a personal tragedy.

Don't tell me Pommies are whingers. Pommies are explosive ! They're alive !

Aussies appear to save their life-force for ' later '.

Generally speaking

Generally speaking I take it your not that taken with our Aussie cousins then?

Guest Tony.London Suburbs
you should of stayed on here fancy putting a comercial on 3 minutes before final whisel & missed the bloody goal (SORRY for that but under standable i hope) & you all complain about oz tv LOL

I've never seen that happen b4 but, to be fair, I'm sure it was an accident as they cut back thru' an advert and straight after the programme finished ITV went off the air for 3 minutes!

Unbelievable that they showed 127 minutes and no goals and yet the second it went off was the only goal!:goofy:

That one really messed with my head, I thought they'd flipped to an old match. The brain couldn't compute Everton scoring like that. That's our trick, dammit!

Archived