the negative thoughts thread, no positives please.

Guest kazmatt

Guest kazmatt

i think pommy really comes from the prisoner of her majesty thing, but a lot of aussies are related to these, and not us now who have come over, so are the aussies themselves not the real poms??

• Replies 100
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Guest mandisfam

the think that use to bug me when I was out in oz, was that someone would ask,whereabouts in england you are from, I would say not too far from London (for ease). They would say my cousin lives near London, I would say whereabouts, they would say Birmingham, do you know him??? arrgghhh, do they not realise how big the population of england is???

I want to hear more about the pies. Are they anything like the ones they make in Wigan with the meat and potato and pepper and crusty pastry mmmmmmm...or not :)

Guest earlswood
Don'T think this will work this thread ,cos every negative has a positive.

:tongue:

eddie

And every positive has a negative.....:v_SPIN:

Guest earlswood

I hate how it is soooo hot for half the year that you cannot breath and cool down....and then so cold and wet for the other half that you cant get warm.:GEEK:

its hard for some people in aus sometimes and not everyone likes it, but it gets on my nerves a bit when as soon as someone puts something negative on like going home, that people jump on there backs and say how happy they would be to swap with them, usually people who have never lived in australia, its not right to judge someone, its easy to think the grass is greener on the other side, but until you climb over the fence and grab a handful you cant be sure its not covered in s**t. so use this thread to put your negative thoughts on and hopefully no one will attack you for your views, no positives please.

I think it is sad that you felt you had to start this thread as it only causes trouble & pain to people who need help & guidance.

Guest proud2beaussie
the think that use to bug me when I was out in oz, was that someone would ask,whereabouts in england you are from, I would say not too far from London (for ease). They would say my cousin lives near London, I would say whereabouts, they would say Birmingham, do you know him??? arrgghhh, do they not realise how big the population of england is???

That is no different to me being asked (When I was last in London) "Oh your from Melbourne,my sister lives in Melbourne,do you know her?,so there is no monopoly on idiotic remarks .

:huh:WHen was Rolf Harris positive???LOL

Sorry I'm gonna have to put a positive. We met him at the national finals of a schools art competition, he was at the gallery all day with his family, he spoke to every single child, posed for pics and signed autographs. He's very genuine and very sincere

Ali

Agreed. They also believe Australian is a language too! Aussies note; g'day (good day)has been a greeting all over Europe ever since the Aborigines smeared poo up their cave walls and called it art:rolleyes:

don't like it when they claim aussie aussie aussie oi! oi! oi! to be theirs, when it was oggie oggie oggie oi oi oi started by the Cornish

Lager should be served cold, and of course there is the recent overdrive into super chill etc I've never known it to be served any other way in the uk.

Pies - I meant they did not originate from Australia. When I became a citizen someone actually said that I'd have to start eating pies...... cos its so Austalian :err:

Pies are very Australian! Don't think it was ever claimed that they originated here.

i think pommy really comes from the prisoner of her majesty thing, but a lot of aussies are related to these, and not us now who have come over, so are the aussies themselves not the real poms??

The first incomers or POME if you like were actually English and Irish criminals . The first non indigenous Australians were the children born here. I'm sure there are just as many families still in Britain related to these early convicts.

By the way you can't insult an Aussie by calling him a convict. Being able to trace your history back to the First Fleet is "True Blue Aussie Royalty" LOL

dalhousie

Guest proud2beaussie

Actually the term "pommie" has nothing to do with the prisoners at all,it refers to the pom poms on the top of the helmets of the officers assigned to watch the prisoners.

From British Naval records the term "Pommie" came about from the red "pom-pon" on the top of the hats of British sailors who were involved in the transfer of prisoners to the Colonies. It was used as a derogatory term, but has since become a generalised term for English people. The term pommy or pom is commonly used by speakers of Australian English, New Zealand English, South African English and Afrikaans.

Some Australians have been known to call (to their ears 'well spoken' or British sounding) people from New Zealand - South Sea Poms[citation needed], or even to call fellow citizens that lack a perceptibly noticeable broad or general Australian English accent (typically cultivated Australian English) - Poms - whether mistakenly or purposely as a playful insult.

It is often shortened to pom. The origin of this term is not confirmed and there are several persistent false etymologies, most being backronyms, an example of which would be P.O.M.E, Prisoner Of Mother England. The Oxford English Dictionary (OED) strongly supports the theory that pommy originated as a contraction of "pomegranate".[2] The OED also suggests that the reason for this is that pomegranate is extinct Australian rhyming slang for immigrant; it cites an article from 14 November 1912, in a once-prominent Australian weekly magazine The Bulletin: "The other day a Pummy Grant (assisted immigrant) was handed a bridle and told to catch a horse." A popular alternative explanation for the theory that pommy is a contraction of "pomegranate", relates to the purported frequency of sunburn among British people in Australia, turning their fair skin the colour of pomegranates.[3] However, there is no hard evidence for the theory regarding sunburn.

Afalse etymology (or "backronym") common in both Australia and New Zealand is that pom originated as an acronym for "prisoner of (his/her) majesty" or "prisoner of mother England". Although many of the first British settlers in Australia were convicts sentenced to transportation to Australia, there is no evidence for this. Some proponents of this theory claim that upon arrival in the country they would be given a uniform with "POHM" or "POME" emblazoned on the back, which apparently stood for Prisoners Of Her Majesty but there are no images or examples of these uniforms.In addition, it is used to mean 'Product of Mother England'.

Guest kazmatt
I think it is sad that you felt you had to start this thread as it only causes trouble & pain to people who need help & guidance.

i am sorry if you feel this way ,i created this thread not to cause trouble but it was intended for people who wanted to post something negative to be able to do so without getting attacked by the usual poms in oz school bullies, just to be able to express there feelings without being scared of the abuse they will recieve for doing so, we were the same as everyone else a year ago, all our dreams where resting upon this move to australia, and we did not intentionally come here and dislike it, i could have thought of something better to blow the 25,000 pounds it has cost us to follow this dream, but i am glad we did try it, it took guts the same as all the other families on this forum, that have done the same thing, we will take positives away from this, and for some people the dream will come true and good luck to you all, if negative threads offend you, then should not have wondered onto this one, it says what it is on the title, thanks.

Guest kazmatt
Actually the term "pommie" has nothing to do with the prisoners at all,it refers to the pom poms on the top of the helmets of the officers assigned to watch the prisoners.

From British Naval records the term "Pommie" came about from the red "pom-pon" on the top of the hats of British sailors who were involved in the transfer of prisoners to the Colonies. It was used as a derogatory term, but has since become a generalised term for English people. The term pommy or pom is commonly used by speakers of Australian English, New Zealand English, South African English and Afrikaans.

Some Australians have been known to call (to their ears 'well spoken' or British sounding) people from New Zealand - South Sea Poms[citation needed], or even to call fellow citizens that lack a perceptibly noticeable broad or general Australian English accent (typically cultivated Australian English) - Poms - whether mistakenly or purposely as a playful insult.

It is often shortened to pom. The origin of this term is not confirmed and there are several persistent false etymologies, most being backronyms, an example of which would be P.O.M.E, Prisoner Of Mother England. The Oxford English Dictionary (OED) strongly supports the theory that pommy originated as a contraction of "pomegranate".[2] The OED also suggests that the reason for this is that pomegranate is extinct Australian rhyming slang for immigrant; it cites an article from 14 November 1912, in a once-prominent Australian weekly magazine The Bulletin: "The other day a Pummy Grant (assisted immigrant) was handed a bridle and told to catch a horse." A popular alternative explanation for the theory that pommy is a contraction of "pomegranate", relates to the purported frequency of sunburn among British people in Australia, turning their fair skin the colour of pomegranates.[3] However, there is no hard evidence for the theory regarding sunburn.

Afalse etymology (or "backronym") common in both Australia and New Zealand is that pom originated as an acronym for "prisoner of (his/her) majesty" or "prisoner of mother England". Although many of the first British settlers in Australia were convicts sentenced to transportation to Australia, there is no evidence for this. Some proponents of this theory claim that upon arrival in the country they would be given a uniform with "POHM" or "POME" emblazoned on the back, which apparently stood for Prisoners Of Her Majesty but there are no images or examples of these uniforms.In addition, it is used to mean 'Product of Mother England'.

well youl earn something new every day.

Guest proud2beaussie
well youl earn something new every day

Now that's a positive statement.,this thread is getting out of hand!

i am sorry if you feel this way ,i created this thread not to cause trouble but it was intended for people who wanted to post something negative to be able to do so without getting attacked by the usual poms in oz school bullies, just to be able to express there feelings without being scared of the abuse they will recieve for doing so, we were the same as everyone else a year ago, all our dreams where resting upon this move to australia, and we did not intentionally come here and dislike it, i could have thought of something better to blow the 25,000 pounds it has cost us to follow this dream, but i am glad we did try it, it took guts the same as all the other families on this forum, that have done the same thing, we will take positives away from this, and for some people the dream will come true and good luck to you all, if negative threads offend you, then should not have wondered onto this one, it says what it is on the title, thanks.

They do not offend me but if you go back into the thread history things have got very abusive to the point of being very vicious.

They do not offend me but if you go back into the thread history things have got very abusive to the point of being very vicious.

Kirk and Co, Im sorry mate but are we reading the same thread, I have just been through it and can find nothing abusive and certainly nothing vicious, just the usual suspects having a laugh, or am I missing something! andy

Guest proud2beaussie

I think the thing that really gets up some peoples noses is the fact that it appears that there are some people on here for whom,sadly,their Australian experience has not been a positive one,however these people see the need to create endless negative posts and slag off every single aspect of Australia,in order,it seems,to discourage others from making the journey.

Pio exists as a forum about the positives and negatives of migrating to Australia,but it should not be used as a tool for individuals to air their personal grievances about Australia.

Yes.by all means warn prospective migrants that Australia is not a land of milk and honey,and advise people about the possible pitfalls of moving your life half way across the world.but I don't think PIO should be used to denigrate Australia,or Australians just because it hasn't worked out to your satisfaction.

BTW I am not pointing the finger at any particular person in the above post.

Kirk and Co, Im sorry mate but are we reading the same thread, I have just been through it and can find nothing abusive and certainly nothing vicious, just the usual suspects having a laugh, or am I missing something! andy

This one has been very adult in replys but when I first posted I did not think people would stay sivale were previous threads on this matter have been closed down.

Archived