the negative thoughts thread, no positives please.

Guest kazmatt

Guest kazmatt

its hard for some people in aus sometimes and not everyone likes it, but it gets on my nerves a bit when as soon as someone puts something negative on like going home, that people jump on there backs and say how happy they would be to swap with them, usually people who have never lived in australia, its not right to judge someone, its easy to think the grass is greener on the other side, but until you climb over the fence and grab a handful you cant be sure its not covered in s**t. so use this thread to put your negative thoughts on and hopefully no one will attack you for your views, no positives please.

• Replies 100
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Guest kazmatt

aussie sayings get on my nerves, too easy, no worries, g-day. nothings too easy, i have plenty of worries and i aint having a good day.

Guest 0405delboy

Hello,

Great idea but I doubt many people will have the nuts to respond!! People complain about 'all these negative threads' but I think Poms in Oz is all quite tame and above board - probably too much so!! When I sober up I'll contribute........................:goofy:

0405delboy

Guest proud2beaussie
When I sober up I'll contribute........................:goofy:

So we can expect a contribution in.ah,July? LOL, (Just kidding mate,!)

Guest Working to fish

Don'T think this will work this thread ,cos every negative has a positive.

:tongue::biglaugh:

eddie

Guest proud2beaussie
Don'T think this will work this thread ,cos every negative has a positive.

:tongue::biglaugh:

eddie

I am absolutely positive you're wrong,eddie.

(Sorry don't mean to be negative about your post)

aussie sayings get on my nerves, too easy, no worries, g-day. nothings too easy, i have plenty of worries and i aint having a good day.

Agreed. They also believe Australian is a language too! Aussies note; g'day (good day)has been a greeting all over Europe ever since the Aborigines smeared poo up their cave walls and called it art:rolleyes:

Guest PommieLady
Agreed. They also believe Australian is a language too! Aussies note; g'day (good day)has been a greeting all over Europe ever since the Aborigines smeared poo up their cave walls and called it art:rolleyes:

I think that the Australians also don't understand the origins of what they consider Australian lingo..... this place was a creole predominantly of working class dialects, so whilst all british people don't use a word, saying or shortened version of the word does not mean it originated in Australia. Plus as London is not a good representative of England it probably not a good idea to generalise your experience to the rest of the English language.

Also when will the Australians accept that warm beer is bitter and that bitter is not lager, no one drinks warm lager, not even in Britain. This really offends me even though I hate the stuff.

I hate the way stuff is called Australian when its not, pies are not Australian.

Rant over

It was good to get that out

Thank you

I think that the Australians also don't understand the origins of what they consider Australian lingo..... this place was a creole predominantly of working class dialects, so whilst all british people don't use a word, saying or shortened version of the word does not mean it originated in Australia. Plus as London is not a good representative of England it probably not a good idea to generalise your experience to the rest of the English language.

Also when will the Australians accept that warm beer is bitter and that bitter is not lager, no one drinks warm lager, not even in Britain. This really offends me even though I hate the stuff.

I hate the way stuff is called Australian when its not, pies are not Australian.

Rant over

Thank you

Mel Gibson, Olivia Newton John, Nichole Kidman, Russle Crow.

Guest proud2beaussie
no one drinks warm lager, not even in Britain.

You obviously haven't been to the London pubs that I visited on my last visit.

pies are not Australian.

They are if they are made in Australia,like National scallop pies in Tasmania,you are unlikely to find them anywhere else.

Guest PommieLady
You obviously haven't been to the London pubs that I visited on my last visit.

They are if they are made in Australia,like National scallop pies in Tasmania,you are unlikely to find them anywhere else.

Lager should be served cold, and of course there is the recent overdrive into super chill etc I've never known it to be served any other way in the uk.

Pies - I meant they did not originate from Australia. When I became a citizen someone actually said that I'd have to start eating pies...... cos its so Austalian :err:

Guest proud2beaussie
Russle Crow

Russell Crowe?.nah he's a kiwi,Nicole Kidman was born in Honolulu,Mel Gibson was born in NY.and Olivia was born in Cambridge,BUT one thing they all have in common is that they ALL consider themselves Australian,and 95% of the Australian population realise that they were not born here,they all learnt there respective trades in Australia.

Mel Gibson actually owns about 2000 acres of prime dairy land not too far from here and rumour has it that he is planning on retiring from the movie industry and settling down here,he was seen in a pub about 50'ks from here over christmas talking to the locals and saying how much he loved the country.

Guest proud2beaussie
When I became a citizen someone actually said that I'd have to start eating pies...... cos its so Austalian

Well it is ,you don't see Americans eating pies at baseball games,but Aussies eat meat pies at football matches.

I've never known it to be served any other way in the uk.

Well it was in at least half of the pubs I visited in the UK last year.,in fact in one pub it was so warm I asked for a bucket of ice so I could put my glass in it and chill it down,when I asked the barman about it he said "the locals don't like it too cold"

Rant over

Thank you

Hate to interrupt you guys on this thread as it looks like your having fun but just a few points of view from the other side.

I think a lot of us do realise that many of the sayings came from British English. "Good Day" is an obvious one. We see it used in formal British English mostly when someone is saying goodbye. I think the Australian use of the phrase "Gidday mate (how ya going)" (hello only), and the way we say it, is unique to here and that is what most of us think of as Australian, rather than thinking we invented the phrase "good day" or even "g'day".

We are also often told that rhyming slang was adapted/copied from British English. As the original British settlers who became the first Australians spoke British English I don't think the connection is too hard to make.

Also, when someone says pies, they generally mean the specific way we make meat pies and consume as take away meals. Didn't see the same habit in my time in the UK but I'm sure its done somewhere :) Have to check Greggs next time I'm there. Most people know "pies" in general are not Australian.

Guest kazmatt

was just wondering why is it these so called aussie celebs do not reside in australia, they either go to the u.k. or america, they couldnt even keep hold of peter andre or jason donovan. has anyone come accross an aussie celeb who lives here, and you cant use skippy.

its hard for some people in aus sometimes and not everyone likes it, but it gets on my nerves a bit when as soon as someone puts something negative on like going home, that people jump on there backs and say how happy they would be to swap with them, usually people who have never lived in australia, its not right to judge someone, its easy to think the grass is greener on the other side, but until you climb over the fence and grab a handful you cant be sure its not covered in s**t. so use this thread to put your negative thoughts on and hopefully no one will attack you for your views, no positives please.

Well said kazmatt, it needed saying, I've been in sydney for a bit, not bowled over by it to be honest, but like you say, if you say something negative people back in the uk think your mad

Guest proud2beaussie

The reason that Australian actors and celebrities don't live here is that the major movies etc are made in the United States and you can't possibly expect someone of the standing of say,Nicole Kidman to fly backwards and forwards to the states all the time,it has nothing whatever to do with not wanting to be here,and as I pointed out in a post on another thread Mel Gibson is seriously considering moving back to Australia,he was in a pub not half an hour from here over christmas talking about how he loves Australia,BTW he owns about 2000 acres of prime dairy cattle land valued at conservatively $8,000,000.and is a regular visitor.

Guest JoanneHattersley
if you say something negative people back in the uk think your mad

Ive found that it is not that people think you are mad, its that they perceive a better quality of life here. I actually had to give up giving info about life here on emails to family members for a while as all I would get was "so another day in f***ing paradise then!". I couldnt believe what I was hearing!

People perceive a perfect life here, whether thats down to media or what who knows! Its the same life here for me, better quality!

Guest kazmatt

last time i saw rolf harris he was on animal hospital in london, i could be wrong. is this thread getting positive????????????????????.

Guest JoanneHattersley
last time i saw rolf harris he was on animal hospital in london, i could be wrong. is this thread getting positive????????????????????.

:huh:WHen was Rolf Harris positive???LOL

Guest kazmatt
:huh:WHen was Rolf Harris positive???LOL

good point, but i liked the way he always cried when an animal had to be put down, his hearts in the right place.

Guest 0405delboy

Hello,

One of my faves is the all time classic 'pommy'! I dont mind being called one but ask an aussie what it means and youll get 12 different answers - none of which really apply to me!! Theres some bollocks about pomegranates but its lost on me and I'm not from convict stock!! It baffled me more when I was young and inquisitive though!

Another thing that bugs me is when the Aussies take a British show , scrap the original voice over and let an Aussie narrate. Some of the humour and expressions dont translate and its a bit empty. An example is that show about meerkats - wouldve prefered to hear the original person just to get a fix of the accents I dont hear anymore.

regard 0405delboy

Archived