family assistance 176

neilo

Guest chris_mac
hi can you claim family assistance on a 176 pr state sponsored visa? do you have to wait 2 years , the centrelink web site is unclear!

Hi Neil

No you cant claim any benefits unfortunately, you have to wait two years, however, once you have PR you are entitled to medicare if thats anything!

Best wishes

Chris

Guest proud2beaussie

Hi neilo,

It is my understanding from reading the Immi website that you can claim both Family Tax Benefit and Childcare rebates whilst on a PR visa.

The following is copied direct from http://www.immi.gov.au/allforms/pdf/994i.pdf

Quote"

Help for families with children

New migrants with dependent children may be able to

receive Family Assistance payments to help with the cost of

raising children. Generally, you must hold a permanent visa

in order to be eligible, but there are some exceptions. There

is no waiting period for these payments. Family Assistance

payments are intended only as an income supplement and

do not provide enough to live on.

Family Assistance benefits include Family Tax Benefit Part A,

Family Tax Benefit Part B, Child Care Benefit and Child Care

Tax Rebate. The amount of Family Tax Benefit you may be

entitled to depends on the age and number of children in

your family and on your family’s total annual income over the

current income year. Child Care Benefit may be paid to help

with the cost of putting your child into child care. The

amount of Child Care Benefit you may receive will depend on

your family’s annual income over the current income year,

the type of child care you choose (approved or registered),

the number of children in child care, the reason you are

using care and how many hours of child care you use. Your

child must also be up-to-date with immunisation or have an

immunisation exemption for you to be eligible to receive the

Child Care Benefit."

I would either call Centrelink Family Assistance Office on 136150 or email them

from the website https://secure.centrelink.gov.au/sims/sims_main.cfm

to clarify your entitlements.

Generally chris mac is correct and most people on PR have to serve a waiting period before being eligible for any benefits,but this is not the case for all types of payment.

HTH

N'OZ

Guest proud2beaussie

It certainly is confusing when governments set waiting periods of two years for 99% of benefits but exempt other benefits from waiting periods,but the upshot is that it seems that neilo and others can claim at least something.

Actually it is extremely confusing because the centrelink website says that you may qualify for Family Tax Benefit if you meet the residence requirement for special benefit (IE 104 weeks) but then on another page it says there is no waiting period for benefits such as family assistance and costs associated with bringing up children! I might send an email to the minister and ask him to ensure that the centrelink website says one thing or another.

Ok - I was under the impression that we can apply for the family tax benefits A and B. I have spoken to somebody who has returned from QLD two years ago and she claimed it as soon as they were working.

You cannot claim anything if you dont work for 2 years etc as we all know - but this is different. Its a tax benefit not a social security payment.

Guest Birdiesinoz

Hi

Anyone on a permanent visa can claim Family Benefit as long as they do not earn over the threshold. As our new tax year starts in July anyone coming between now and then will only have earnings for maximum of 5 months (Feb - July).

When you go to the Medicare office most of them have a family assistance section and they are usually very helpful in what you are entitled to claim. Benefits can be claimed weekly/fortnightly or at the end of the tax year. When you do your annual tax return (which can be easily done online) it will ask you certain questions and establish if they think you are entitled to Family Benefit, if so then you will usually get a lump sum back and they are quick with their refunds.

You can claim for children up to age 25 as long as they are still in full time study and not earning themselves. I still get benefit for my Daughter who is 22 and studying for a degree at Uni.

Hope this helps

Kind regards

• 1 month later...

Some people on here are saying yes we can claim some benefits then others say no we cant claim any benifits :arghh:

CAN WE PLEASE HAVE COMMENTS FROM PEOPLE WHO HAVE ACTUALLY GONE DOWN THIS ROAD(176) AND HAVE A CLEAR CUT ANSWER.

THIS YES,NO,YES,NO,YES,NO IS DOING MY HEAD IN !!!!:arghh:

Guest Birdiesinoz
Some people on here are saying yes we can claim some benefits then others say no we cant claim any benifits :arghh:

CAN WE PLEASE HAVE COMMENTS FROM PEOPLE WHO HAVE ACTUALLY GONE DOWN THIS ROAD(176) AND HAVE A CLEAR CUT ANSWER.

THIS YES,NO,YES,NO,YES,NO IS DOING MY HEAD IN !!!!:arghh:

Hi MyLady

Though i am a migration agent i am also a pommy immigrant (5 years) and can categorically confirm that you can claim family assistance from when you step off the plane and register with medicare (most medicare offices have a section for family assistance in them)

kind regards

Cheryl

Archived