Regret returning to the UK?

Guest boomerangpommie

Hi, we moved out to Oz in 2001 from a lovely village in N.Yorks. Just before we moved we had the chance to buy the house we were in but couldn't manage it because of the time scale ( 8 weeks to buy , rent it out and move to Oz) so we went to Brisbane. Our first impressions when we arrived were what have we done. Coming from the airport it was hot ( and that was August). I will say it took a good 2 years not to regret the move. My husband was a bit disappointed in his job. It was not as high level as in UK, but gradually we made friends. The kiddies started schools and kindy and we had another 2 beautiful children there. We loved our time in Brisbane and could have stayed. The people were lovely especially towards the kiddies. The wildlife was exciting and exotic, the beaches were fantastic although I did find the bush land a bit boring. People were upbeat and friendly. Life was simple and easy and we fitted in but we rented a house and didn't quite put down roots so after 6 years so we returned in 2007. It was a big decision as we could so easily have stayed and we were quite happy there.

We now live in a rented house which is lovely in a village in the Cotswolds. Apart from my OH working in London 3 days a week life is good here. The kids are settled in school and my eldest will start secondary school next year (sept 210) however we miss things about Oz. Hubby not working away, easy going approach to life, what does the future hold for our kids after all this money being borrowed by the government. Short term it has been great here seeing family more regularly although we are not that close and having a cold Christmas. But we only live in a rented house so we would have to leave this village at some point in the future anyway.

My husband has now been offered a job in Canberra and we absolutely cannot decide what to do. Do we go back to Oz and see a different part of the country or do we stay here. We had thought if we went back we would return to Brisbane. We are worried if we turn the job down we will close the door on Oz but the thought of packing up in the next few weeks churns me up too. This time we would be moving for good so its a bigger decision than before.

I love life here at present but having taught in secondary school the kids here are more aggressive and disruptive in class and I don't want to short change our kids in the future. It would be much harder to get back to Oz under our own steam than through a company move. Does anyone live in Canberra who can let me know how they've found it ASAP as we have to decide in the next 2 days.

Thanks for your help if you can.

Canberra is one of the better places to live IMHO but I am thinking that it probably wont tick your boxes. Canberra is in the middle of the bush, you can see the bush from pretty much anywhere in town so if you dont like the bush then it will be somewhat boring. We are just under 2 hrs away from some superb beaches and just over 2 hours away from Australia's premiere ski fields. The city is built around lakes so there is water but just not the ocean.

Education is OK but when close to 50% of the population send their kids to private schools you do have to wonder what the govt system is doing wrong. It's very PC but the rat bag kids still populate classrooms because the Dept wont allow them to be excluded. Of course the vast majority of kids are just kids but we have our behaviourally challenging element just like everywhere else.

The federal govt is following the same path as UK and successfully turned a thriving economy into a basket case within months (not as bad as UK tho at the moment) and we will be paying for their stupidity for years to come - borrowing billions to put pink batts in peoples' homes and giving handouts which went largely into repaying debt or into the pokies - not to mention those which went to dead people and people living overseas. At least the UK has the prospect of choosing someone new, we are stuck with this mob for a while yet:arghh: I am not sure that Canberra would think it has an easy going approach to life - the public servants are being worked very hard and under threat of being slashed, there is a pervasive PC air to the place and although the people are friendly enough they are all encumbered with huge mortgages and most are, of necessity, two income families so not really that much sense of community.

The wildlife will still be exciting - the cockies will wake you up with their screeching at 6am like it or not:biglaugh: Fewer skinks here and more flies especially in the summer. 4 distinct seasons and it can be quite cool in winter. Spring and autumn are the best however we could do with some rain, we have been in drought for about 7 years now and the countryside, although it has a greenish tinge, is looking very tired.

Our facilities are second to none really and there is plenty going on in the community if you want to get out and take part. There are good sporting and artistic opportunities for kids.

If you can treat this as one of life's little adventures then go for it. Watch out for the educational implications for your children though - there gets a point where returning to UK is difficult because of GCSEs and A levels and you basically then have to sit it out until after they are done with uni by which time they might well decide to go back to UK for a better future career (bigger pond, more opportunities)

The ultimate "moving for good" is a crippling thing IMHO, as long as you feel you have a choice in your life then it makes it easier to settle and to make objective decisions. If you come here knowing that "this is it" and some little things just dont gel then they take on enormous proportions and you can get yourself into all sorts of emotional anguish. Just keep all your doors open I reckon.

• Replies 257
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Guest hymie

Thank you everyone out there for your kind advice especially the very useful info on Canberra. I think my OH and I have made the decision to stay here for the next 6 months and see how things go. If we do decide to go to Oz we will aim to go back to Brisbane as it was lovely there and we could make things easier for ourselves with knowing schools,kindies etc. We may even make a holiday out of it first to suss out the job climate. My youngest two children were born there so we do want to take them back to the place of their birth at some point and see the wonderful wildlife. In the meantime I think we'll just try to see lots of the UK. I'm sure there will be some regrets when we finally turn the job down but my gut instinct is that now is not the right time for us to go. Perhaps the decision will be easier when my hubbie is making the trips to London in the winter. Sometimes I think my mother-in-law had it easy as she has never left the town she was born in so has not had to deal with dilemmas like this!

Anyway to those of you in Oz give it a fair go as it took us a good 18 months to meet people and connect, but it really is a wonderful country as is the UK.

All the best

Hymie:hug:

Guest falconkestral

Just a quick line I think the UK will be paying out for generations to come. Politians have really mucked up.

I'd also read some views on the get me the hell out of the UK thread.

Im my opinion theres nothing left here.

Just a quick line I think the UK will be paying out for generations to come. Politians have really mucked up.

In my opinion the UK is full of negative people with chips on their shoulders. Lucxkly alot are leaving

Guest LondonGal

What makes you think the Australian politians are any better. Aus too now has a deficit that future generations will have to pay for.

I disagree with there being nothing left in the UK but if that's what you think you may be better off in Aus. Maybe when you get here you will realise the same problems are everywhere.

Guest themussonsUK
What makes you think the Australian politians are any better. Aus too now has a deficit that future generations will have to pay for.

I disagree with there being nothing left in the UK but if that's what you think you may be better off in Aus. Maybe when you get here you will realise the same problems are everywhere.

I'm trying to compare the 'differences' between Oz and UK - both good and bad. If the politicians are no different in Oz, why are there so many people desperate to get into Oz but can't due to lack of qualifications, yet the UK lets just about anyone in - qualified or not??? Oz may have a deficit but as you said the same problems are everywhere. With this in mind....can someone tell me the 'good' reasons to move to Oz compared to staying in the UK? It seems that the weather is too hot and people stay in, the chocolates no good, the people are arrogant (all quotes from this forum!)....can someone tell me the positives?????!!!!!!

I'm trying to compare the 'differences' between Oz and UK - both good and bad. If the politicians are no different in Oz, why are there so many people desperate to get into Oz but can't due to lack of qualifications, yet the UK lets just about anyone in - qualified or not??? Oz may have a deficit but as you said the same problems are everywhere. With this in mind....can someone tell me the 'good' reasons to move to Oz compared to staying in the UK? It seems that the weather is too hot and people stay in, the chocolates no good, the people are arrogant (all quotes from this forum!)....can someone tell me the positives?????!!!!!!

The car parking spaces are wider and the coffee is much better.

Guest themussonsUK

LOL!!! Great!....someone with a sense of humour and 'happy' sounding at last!!! :biglaugh:

Guest LondonGal

Have to agree on the coffee, that is something I would miss as I need my daily buzz :jiggy:.

Positive for Australia..

Bigger house for your money though not necessarily better built!

I would miss my house as we built it to our own design, just wouldn't be able to afford the same size or design in the UK. Wouldn't miss the bloody housework though! :laugh:

Guest LondonGal

Just thought of another couple...

being able to see the stars most nights....

having my bags packed every time I go shopping at the supermarket which IMO is one of the few good things about Aus supermarkets ;-).

Guest falconkestral
In my opinion the UK is full of negative people with chips on their shoulders. Luckly alot are leaving

I would say a lot of professional people are leaving the UK because we're fed up of paying into the government pot for what ? We pay high taxes including road tax yet I still need to pay for parking permit on top of this, and I don't live in London.

Our schools no longer teach our traditions, primary schools are not allowed to have a nativity play, but may have a Christmas concert. I always thought this country was predominantly christian / catholic yet we can not have a nativity play in school concert !!!!If you find it offensive don't buy a ticket.

If you want to fly your national flag you need to apply to the council first.If given permission it will be revoked as soon as the first person complains at it.

In the 16 years I've lived in the midlands it has just got worse. ie;

Family asked to leave premises as their 5 yr old was wearing st George's flag on his t shirt, reason given because some find it offensive.

Lady taken to court to remove her collection of statue pig money box off her window sill, apparently they have been there over 15 years and had collected them from her bank, but she was made to move them.As some find it offensive

The kids coming home with bindi mark on their head and feet & hands covered in orange dye carrying a Diwali mat in hand, is not the image you expect from an English school.

I'm all for religious education but wish the school would at least cover our own religions.

Kids complaining they have been on the cheese pie table again as was not enough room on normal diet table. School segregates tables none pork eaters none beef ,halal ect.

We have Calais up in arms complaining of all migrants there waiting to come to UK and that we needed to revise our benefit system,Its bad when another country is telling us to sort it out don't you think,

I have no problem with anyone coming to this country if they are prepared to do it properly. They should not be-able to claim benefit's indefinitely.

At least Australia don't even allow refuges to land, and stick them on a island off Australia.

The Australian Government dose not appear to be as weak as ours. I realise this can change, but what realistically is the future for Britain ? Given enough time and being a democratic society we will be out voted and our kids will probably be stuck on the cheese pie table then !

What positive points are there about the UK ? Maybe I need enlightening

Guest themussonsUK
I would say a lot of professional people are leaving the UK because we're fed up of paying into the government pot for what ? We pay high taxes including road tax yet I still need to pay for parking permit on top of this, and I don't live in London.

Our schools no longer teach our traditions, primary schools are not allowed to have a nativity play, but may have a Christmas concert. I always thought this country was predominantly christian / catholic yet we can not have a nativity play in school concert !!!!If you find it offensive don't buy a ticket.

If you want to fly your national flag you need to apply to the council first.If given permission it will be revoked as soon as the first person complains at it.

Family asked to leave premises as their 5 yr old was wearing st George's flag on his t shirt, reason given because some find it offensive.

Lady taken to court to remove her collection of statue pig money box off her window sill, apparently they have been there over 15 years and had collected them from her bank, but she was made to move them.As some find it offensive

The kids coming home with bindi mark on their head and feet & hands covered in orange dye carrying a Diwali mat in hand, is not the image you expect from an English school.

I'm all for religious education but wish the school would at least cover our own religions.

Kids complaining they have been on the cheese pie table again as was not enough room on normal diet table. School segregates tables none pork eaters none beef ,halal ect.

We have Calais up in arms complaining of all migrants there waiting to come to UK and that we needed to revise our benefit system,Its bad when another country is telling us to sort it out don't you think,

I have no problem with anyone coming to this country if they are prepared to do it properly. They should not be-able to claim benefit's indefinitely.

At least Australia don't even allow refuges to land, and stick them on a island off Australia.

The Australian Government dose not appear to be as weak as ours. I realise this can change, but what realistically is the future for Britain ? Given enough time and being a democratic society we will be out voted and our kids will probably be stuck on the cheese pie table then !

I saw the ITN news last night and watched afghans climbing over barbed-wire fences in a Greek port on their way to Patros where they were stowing themselves in lorries. One who was interviewed said they were all coming to England....not the UK....England! There were thousands of them trying to get here and I don't suppose Greece is the only place there coming from. They are all seeking a 'better life' which I can understand....but the better life here for them consists of free money, food, housing, cars etc etc....something that me and my OH have been paying for out of our own pockets for years. This is what grates at me and this is why we are looking to 'better our lives' by going to oz. However, I am still feeling scared to do this, because if Im honest....I don't want to be pushed out of my country, which is what I feel is happening. It is breaking my heart to see what is happening here because 20 years ago it wasn't like this and I worry what it will be like in 20 years time, when my kids are all in there 20's. I have family and friends I love here, a nice house, good schools around us....yet I am still feeling pressured into making a huge decision because of the state this government has let OUR country get in....and I don't know that it will ever get any better. If i knew the answer to that it would make my decision for me. My 7 year old goes to a predominantly christian/catholic school and i have NEVER seen her in a nativity play....and when your kid starts school, thats' one of the things you would treasure to see. But I've not had that opportuntity becasue of all this red tape c*!p and that saddens me beyond belief. She goes into Juniors this year wher we'll have Diwali day and all the rest of it, which i agree is fine for them to be educated about, but NOT at the expense of our 'christian' days, such as the xmas nativity. I don't want this to become a religious dispute but lets face it ..... the whole of the UK IS a religious dispute and the real British people are the ones suffering.

PLease will someone tell me .... with all this in mind... will mine and my families lives be better in OZ? We work hard, are NOT spongers and want the best possible future for ourwelves and our children. Is OZ the place for this?

There are things that are good in th UK of course there is...but how much longer will the good things last??? :unsure:

Guest Tracy1

Family asked to leave premises as their 5 yr old was wearing st George's flag on his t shirt, reason given because some find it offensive

People from Scotland = Scottish

People from Ireland = Irish

People from Wales = Welsh

People from England = ......British!

I dont want to be called 'British'. I dont want to be called 'White British'. :no: I want to be called English just like my parents were and my grandparents and my great grandparents etc etc.

Will it stop at British?? Will my grandchildren or great grandchildren be called 'BritAfri's or 'NigeBrits' or PoleBrits'.

Is it too much to ask for my children to learn the alphabet in the English language in school in England.

We are not allowed to say 'normal' things anymore, however, there are certain 'groups' marching on Parliament calling for our troops to be beheaded and they are allowed to do so!

England is finished - it cannot carry on the way it is there is going to be an eruption and I dont want my children here to see it so we are getting out. If that makes me a bad person then I hold my hands up.

Has anyone noticed how many people have left their St. George cross flags still flying from their houses and workplaces after St. Georges day here just to make a point?

Yes me and my kids are deserting a sinking ship and we wont be looking back!!:yes:

FK what is your profession?

Guest LondonGal
I saw the ITN news last night and watched afghans climbing over barbed-wire fences in a Greek port on their way to Patros where they were stowing themselves in lorries. One who was interviewed said they were all coming to England....not the UK....England! There were thousands of them trying to get here and I don't suppose Greece is the only place there coming from. They are all seeking a 'better life' which I can understand....but the better life here for them consists of free money, food, housing, cars etc etc....something that me and my OH have been paying for out of our own pockets for years. This is what grates at me and this is why we are looking to 'better our lives' by going to oz. However, I am still feeling scared to do this, because if Im honest....I don't want to be pushed out of my country, which is what I feel is happening. It is breaking my heart to see what is happening here because 20 years ago it wasn't like this and I worry what it will be like in 20 years time, when my kids are all in there 20's. I have family and friends I love here, a nice house, good schools around us....yet I am still feeling pressured into making a huge decision because of the state this government has let OUR country get in....and I don't know that it will ever get any better. If i knew the answer to that it would make my decision for me. My 7 year old goes to a predominantly christian/catholic school and i have NEVER seen her in a nativity play....and when your kid starts school, thats' one of the things you would treasure to see. But I've not had that opportuntity becasue of all this red tape c*!p and that saddens me beyond belief. She goes into Juniors this year wher we'll have Diwali day and all the rest of it, which i agree is fine for them to be educated about, but NOT at the expense of our 'christian' days, such as the xmas nativity. I don't want this to become a religious dispute but lets face it ..... the whole of the UK IS a religious dispute and the real British people are the ones suffering.

PLease will someone tell me .... with all this in mind... will mine and my families lives be better in OZ? We work hard, are NOT spongers and want the best possible future for ourwelves and our children. Is OZ the place for this?

There are things that are good in th UK of course there is...but how much longer will the good things last??? :unsure:

All of the things you mention happen in Oz too. They are worldwide problems.

My children have never been in a nativity play here in Oz and that included the 2 years they were at a Catholic Primary School. Traditional christmas hymns are not sung in school, instead we have ones about Santa on kangaroos's!!! Thankfully we have a local church that always has a carol night at Christmas in the local park for anyone who wants a bit of tradition.

I wish you luck with your decision, Oz may offer you a better lifestyle but please don't think it doesn't have it's issues as well.

I find the food fresher in Australia, the people friendlier, the lifestyle more relaxed, being able to take the kids out to a local park and cook on the free BBQ.

Now you will find some people that live near markets in the UK that will disagree about the freshness, others that have grown up knowing everyone and moving to Australia knowing no-one that will disagree over the friendliness, others that think to much and worry about who has used the BBQ or heard all the horror stories. Take all coments including mine with a pinch of salt

It's all about you and what you are looking for out of your new move Australia is one huge Island and each state has something going for it find the state for you and I'm sure you will have a big smile on your face.

Guest falconkestral

Forensic Nurse, worked for NHS 19years. And that too has also gone down the pan with cut backs

Guest boomerangpommie

Traditional christmas hymns are not sung in school, instead we have ones about Santa on kangaroos's!!! Thankfully we have a local church that always has a carol night at Christmas in the local park for anyone who wants a bit of tradition.

QUOTE]

I don't know about Perth but in Sydney, they hold a massive open-air carol night in the CBD, where thousands of people sing tradtional Christmas carols together, along with the ever-present Wiggles and other Aussie celebs. When we lived there, our local art gallery also had one in their grounds and local school and community choirs were leading the singing.

Guest falconkestral

Traditional christmas hymns are not sung in school, instead we have ones about Santa on kangaroos's!!! Thankfully we have a local church that always has a carol night at Christmas in the local park for anyone who wants a bit of tradition.

QUOTE]

I don't know about Perth but in Sydney, they hold a massive open-air carol night in the CBD, where thousands of people sing tradtional Christmas carols together, along with the ever-present Wiggles and other Aussie celebs. When we lived there, our local art gallery also had one in their grounds and local school and community choirs were leading the singing.

I remember as a child queuing to see Santa with his red shorts on, he was giving out ice poles and a balloon, I also remember fat cat who would come on tv same time every night with his bottle of milk and go to bed, It was a main key in our house for us to kiss him good night and go bed. I also have fond memories of attending a Christmas carol service in Adelaide , every one was holding a candle as we sang.

Australia made an impression on me as a child and I wish we had never left.

I really don't have rose glasses on, and know there will be many hurdles to cross, but I do believe in paying into a system that is a strong system, I respect how the Australian dealt with refugees arriving. And I just don't see the Aussie government making such a mess of it, as our politicians have. Lets face it all we have is wolves in suits, with no backbone.

No my decision is made and Im looking forward to Making Australia my home

Guest falconkestral

QUOTE]

I remember as a child queuing to see Santa with his red shorts on, he was giving out ice poles and a balloon, I also remember fat cat who would come on tv same time every night with his bottle of milk and go to bed, It was a main key in our house for us to kiss him good night and go bed. I also have fond memories of attending a Christmas carol service in Adelaide , every one was holding a candle as we sang.

Australia made an impression on me as a child and I wish we had never left.

I really don't have rose glasses on, and know there will be many hurdles to cross, but I do believe in paying into a system that is a strong system, I respect how the Australian dealt with refugees arriving. And I just don't see the Aussie government making such a mess of it, as our politicians have. Lets face it all we have is wolves in suits, with no backbone.

No my decision is made and Im looking forward to Making Australia my home, when my visa gets here!

Guest Tracy1
Forensic Nurse, worked for NHS 19years. And that too has also gone down the pan with cut backs

I still work for the NHS and I'm sick of seeing what I see day in day out....I'm sure you know exactly what I'm talking about.

I have to arrive early for work to get a parking space so we sit in the car, have a coffee and watch the night shift come out to the car park and I can honestly say there is only one 'type of female nurse' that spits on the ground as they are walking along!! Its disgusting and unnecessary.:arghh:

Roll on next year:biggrin:

People from Scotland = Scottish

People from Ireland = Irish

People from Wales = Welsh

People from England = ......British!

I dont want to be called 'British'. I dont want to be called 'White British'. :no: I want to be called English just like my parents were and my grandparents and my great grandparents etc etc.

Will it stop at British?? Will my grandchildren or great grandchildren be called 'BritAfri's or 'NigeBrits' or PoleBrits'.

Is it too much to ask for my children to learn the alphabet in the English language in school in England.

We are not allowed to say 'normal' things anymore, however, there are certain 'groups' marching on Parliament calling for our troops to be beheaded and they are allowed to do so!

England is finished - it cannot carry on the way it is there is going to be an eruption and I dont want my children here to see it so we are getting out. If that makes me a bad person then I hold my hands up.

Has anyone noticed how many people have left their St. George cross flags still flying from their houses and workplaces after St. Georges day here just to make a point?

Yes me and my kids are deserting a sinking ship and we wont be looking back!!:yes:

I wonder if there was an election and the Conservatives got in - would there be any changes back to the 'old' traditions - maybe that could be the answer - the British demand an election and vote for the opposition.... I am returning after 13 years in Oz - I live in a very multicultural community - but my honest opinion is that it isn't working here either - the 'ethnic minorities stick with their own ethnic groups and look down on Australians - I even heard of someone saying that Australia has no culture that it is waiting for one.... the little girl over the road just had a pre-school photo taken and all the names of the kids were listed - she had the only 'British' sounding name - you go into the local supermarket/fruit barn and it is full of people from Asia (India, Fijian Indian, Pakestani, Bangladeshi, Afghani, Lebanese etc) and I honest get the impression that they would really rather not have any Australians there at all - beware where you choose to move to in Oz - Sydney has very defined suburbs where certain ethnic groups congregate and you won't be made welcome if you move into a predominatly say Indian street - that is my experience anyway - just look at Cabramatta in Sydney's South West - you would honestly think you were in Vietnam - its know as Vietnamatta!!! Which is nice to visit occasionally to sample some Vietnamese food and have a look at the markets - but what about those Aussies who moved there and brought their families up there and then becuase everytime a house went on the market a Vietnamese family moved in until they were the only non-Vietnamese family in the street - that must be heartbreaking!! But I can see the same thing happening in my suburb and that is why I can't wait to move back to the UK - and where I'm going there isn't a problem like that AT ALL!!! Can't wait.

Guest guest30038
I still work for the NHS and I'm sick of seeing what I see day in day out....I'm sure you know exactly what I'm talking about.

I have to arrive early for work to get a parking space so we sit in the car, have a coffee and watch the night shift come out to the car park

My father lay on a trolley for 3 days before they found him a bed............he died shortly after..............that was at the start of the "Trust" system..............Maggie Thatchers doing.

My wife, who is a nurse and was working on the ward next door, had to pass him by at regular intervals....she decided there and then that she wanted out of the UK.

The hospital that she works at now, allows you to work your shifts out amongst yourselves, allows sick leave if you are looking after a sick relative, gives you an extra 10 weeks leave after 10 yrs service, and even gets security to walk you down to your car in the car park when you finish a shift in the dark.

She's valued..................as are all the nurses where she works, unlike her experience in the UK. That to me is a major difference between OZ culture and UK culture, at least in our experience. The nurses are all of different ethnicity and work well together despite some from less developed countries not being as highly skilled.............they all help each other out and teach each other new skills.

People value people here. We're all part of a melting pot that somehow gels. "Mateship" is highly valued, as are those who sacrificed for others and their country. We never felt valued in the UK, and I can assure you, that was how most of the folk in our street and workplace felt. I've never felt like that here. I've always felt welcomed, valued, and befriended. I haven't read the whole thread but someone I believe mentioned "Aussie arrogance" but I have never experienced that in the 13 yrs that we've been here. They can be downright frustrating at times with their "she'll be right mate" attitude whilst your house is burning down :biggrin: but that in itself carries a kind of charm that is hard to ignore or warm to.

The more I read here, and the more I see others' disappointment (mainly from other States) the more I know that I made the right decision in picking queensland.

kev

Guest boomerangpommie
the little girl over the road just had a pre-school photo taken and all the names of the kids were listed - she had the only 'British' sounding name - you go into the local supermarket/fruit barn and it is full of people from Asia (India, Fijian Indian, Pakestani, Bangladeshi, Afghani, Lebanese etc) beware where you choose to move to in Oz - Sydney has very defined suburbs where certain ethnic groups congregate and you won't be made welcome if you move into a predominatly say Indian street - that is my experience anyway - just look at Cabramatta in Sydney's South West - you would honestly think you were in Vietnam - its know as Vietnamatta!!!

Why is being an immigrant from England, Ireland, Wales or Scotland any different? Is it the white skin and speaking English? Go to Coogee or Manly - it's predominantly British migrants living there now - what happened to all of the Australians living there previously as each house for sale was bought up by a Brit? Or even further back, the Aborigines living there before the arrival of the First Fleet? Immigration is what has made Australia the nation that it is today and all of the different nationalities and foods etc add to the appeal IMHO. We will be/are/were all migrants to Oz and shouldn't begrudge others the same.

Archived