transferring from R.N to R.A.N royal navy to royal australian navy

Guest guest25493

Hi,

System changed last sept/oct....well that's what they told us! Every case seems to be different tbh.

Here's how ours has panned out -

told successful after med board in August, awaiting LA to be drawn up.

Mid October informed there was a selection panel mid November and there was a possibility of interview /video conference.

2 days before selection board received a questionnaire ...actually it was more like an interview on paper! Also had to be hand written tbh it was very thorough.

Beginning of DEC - successful in selection board however still fully expected to have interview or video conference as stated prior.

19th December job Offer received.

Mid january LA Received.

certainly is a roller coaster of emotions this process! I'm sure your OH should be ok. Not really sure this message will help put your mind at ease, you need that LA in your hand for that!

good luck

thanks for that info CCB70, it is a roller coaster of emotions indeed I never really know what to think. We filled in that questionnaire with our application pack (like you said was almost like a interview on paper) think we just expected our next correspondence following the selection board to be a COS but then after receiving that following email kinda felt like they were back tracking slightly and has made us a little anxious!! What is your enlistment date? they proposed in their email to us June 25th 2015 or September 25th 2015 if OH is successful following face to face interview.

• Replies 1.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
thanks for that info CCB70, it is a roller coaster of emotions indeed I never really know what to think. We filled in that questionnaire with our application pack (like you said was almost like a interview on paper) think we just expected our next correspondence following the selection board to be a COS but then after receiving that following email kinda felt like they were back tracking slightly and has made us a little anxious!! What is your enlistment date? they proposed in their email to us June 25th 2015 or September 25th 2015 if OH is successful following face to face interview.

I know now exactly what you mean about the anxiety of the whole process and the feeling of being backtracked. We have felt that so many times with the whole process and the stress...scream! We are hoping to get over to Perth June 26th 2014 :-)...just waiting for all clear on visa. Remarkably, incredibly chilled now!

Im sure your OH will be fine with his interview. Inbox me if you do have any questions and hopefully I will be able to help.

• 2 weeks later...

I was also selected for lateral selection in April, and given dates of either June or Sept 15 as my to join date. It did state in my email that the RAN decide that date, but as they seem to have gone straight on leave, i can't see them getting everything done ready for a condition of service offer prior to June this year. Obviously with having to submit 12 months notice, they need to start moving. Personally happier to join in Sept 15 as it means schooling for our daughter will be complete at Primary level.

Does anyone know how flexible they are with the two dates? I'm also hoping for a Perth posting, as all our Brit oppos are in that area, and the support for the family would be much improved, which leads to the 2nd question - How much choice, and chance of that choice, is there for a lateral Entry ( currently CPOET(WE))?

I appreciate the answers are within the Forum, but there have been lots of changes recently, and all 165 pages is a lot of reading!!

I was also selected for lateral selection in April, and given dates of either June or Sept 15 as my to join date. It did state in my email that the RAN decide that date, but as they seem to have gone straight on leave, i can't see them getting everything done ready for a condition of service offer prior to June this year. Obviously with having to submit 12 months notice, they need to start moving. Personally happier to join in Sept 15 as it means schooling for our daughter will be complete at Primary level.

Does anyone know how flexible they are with the two dates? I'm also hoping for a Perth posting, as all our Brit oppos are in that area, and the support for the family would be much improved, which leads to the 2nd question - How much choice, and chance of that choice, is there for a lateral Entry ( currently CPOET(WE))?

I appreciate the answers are within the Forum, but there have been lots of changes recently, and all 165 pages is a lot of reading!!

Congratulations on your acceptance!

My OH applied July 13 and had his job offer Dec 13. We applied for early release (6 months notice) and his lovely boss agreed to take the gap (couldn't fill his job till the Oct) as the RAN wanted him for June 14!!!! So if all the ducks are lined up it can be done -needless to say it's headless chicken (or duck!) time now -61 days left but who's counting. Return requests promptly and although they are pretty good at replying you may at the start (until you get a dedicated contact) need to give a few prompts but they are a very friendly and helpful bunch.

You didn't say if your visa has been granted or not. Ours took about 2 months. If not get this process started (& book the medicals) as it's all dependent on ALL the family being granted visa's.

They have set intake date periods so if they have given you a couple of dates then I guess it's up to you which you choose.

I know location is dependent on where you are needed but I guess if you don't ask you don't get...

We still don't know exactly where my OH will be working -just 'Sydney area'.

It's very frustrating I know not having the whole picture -only having parts open up as you progress through the application process and it does tend to be a big rush at the end but it will all be worth it.

Good luck and keep the questions coming...

IslandBoo :cool:

Congratulations on your acceptance!

I'm right at the start of the process. IE, Passed the preliminary board, then australia went on easter leave! Got an email today sating that my case officer would be in touch in due course.

the questions i am trying to find out answers to at this juncture are

1. Although date of move is defined by RAN, can factors be taken into account to influence decision (schooling - first date is one month before the end of UK primary education for daughter (June 15 or Sept 15))

2. What costs are borne by the RAN for the move to Australia. Pets, cars, furniture, insurance etc. (seen a quote for £2250 for a cat - reckon she will be re-homed if the costs are not RAN borne)

3. What influence can I have on my home base.

This is all a balancing act for us, as we are already posted into Europe, and are looking to finish this draft, get the RN to pack all of our kit up, and take it to a UK Quarter where it will be collected already in boxes for the move down under. we will then stay for a month, using pussers furniture and move on from there. This is the plan on paper at least!!!

How long was it between furniture being collected, and people moving? and how long do furnishings take to make the journey.

I'm right at the start of the process. IE, Passed the preliminary board, then australia went on easter leave! Got an email today sating that my case officer would be in touch in due course.

the questions i am trying to find out answers to at this juncture are

1. Although date of move is defined by RAN, can factors be taken into account to influence decision (schooling - first date is one month before the end of UK primary education for daughter (June 15 or Sept 15))

2. What costs are borne by the RAN for the move to Australia. Pets, cars, furniture, insurance etc. (seen a quote for £2250 for a cat - reckon she will be re-homed if the costs are not RAN borne)

3. What influence can I have on my home base.

This is all a balancing act for us, as we are already posted into Europe, and are looking to finish this draft, get the RN to pack all of our kit up, and take it to a UK Quarter where it will be collected already in boxes for the move down under. we will then stay for a month, using pussers furniture and move on from there. This is the plan on paper at least!!!

How long was it between furniture being collected, and people moving? and how long do furnishings take to make the journey.

1. There are set dates for intakes each year and these are fixed. If you are given a choice between months then it will be your choice which month you choose.

2. You have to pay for your visa application 'upfront' yourself (ours cost approx £3,600 in total for 2 adults -this includes the private medicals (£552) /police checks (£90 UK & £10 Gibraltar /photos £10 etc). The visa can be paid using a credit card (in AUS $ though). We were lucky with the exchange rate at the time of payment. This cost is not refundable if you are unsuccessful in the visa application. If successful then this is eventually refunded once you are in Aus.

They will move your belongings but you have to pay for insurance, pet relocation, car (not recommended shipping if worth 6k or less) etc.

If you intend packing abroad for Aus be very careful. Check the Aus Gov websites for prohibited/goods of interest. They are VERY strict. They will need to be packed separately for inspection. Also clean shoes etc to within an inch of their life as a couple of months in a container can cause mould and people have been charged Aus$75 to have them destroyed or $200 to have them irradiated if you want to keep them!!

3. Not sure if you have an influence on which base you get as you are joining to fill a need but you can discuss this with them when they're back from hols.

4. You are flown out business class so have a good suitcase allowance. You are also given a small 'air freight' allowance of approx 16 cu ft / 0.5 m3 each person so this arrives shortly after you as a stop gap till your sea freight arrives -which can take up to 8-10 weeks to clear customs etc. You will negotiate with whichever comp' is doing your packing when it is done.

Hope this helps :cool:

Woke up this morning to recieve an email stating the offer had been withdrawn, which i found quite unprofessional, ie why build some one up, then pull it away.

Time to look elsewhere for the dream...not much more to say really. just glad i hadn't put extended family through heart ache at this juncture!

:mad:

Woke up this morning to recieve an email stating the offer had been withdrawn, which i found quite unprofessional, ie why build some one up, then pull it away.

Time to look elsewhere for the dream...not much more to say really. just glad i hadn't put extended family through heart ache at this juncture!

:mad:

really sorry to hear that. Did they give you a reason?

TV License refunds.

You don't need a TV license if you are not watching LIVE TV! e.g. only watching i player or DVD's but if like me you pay for your TV license a year at a time be aware that they will only refund in multiples of whole quarters! (Don't know how legal this is as you are effectively paying for a service you won't be receiving). We decided we didn't have enough time to watch TV from last January and luckily I had exactly 1/2 year (2 quarters) worth but even then they 'try it on'. You can apply online then send them back the license with hard copy 'evidence'. I sent them a copy of my cancelled Sky subscription and an explanation that I was emigrating but they still sent a letter to say that this was insufficient evidence(!) so when I rang them up to challenge this suddenly it was OK and they sent the refund cheque.

We have loads of films to watch but you could also try subscribing to something like Love Films etc (free for 30 days) then when that is up subscribe to another etc till you leave.

Don't know how we found time to watch TV (only 55 days left now) so hopefully this will save someone some money!

There seems to be an issue with UK TV's working out in Aus so we are selling ours. :cool:

There seems to be an issue with UK TV's working out in Aus so we are selling ours. :cool:

Your standard digital TV will not pick anything up in Australia. However, external digiboxes can be purchased from, for instance, Big W quite cheaply. Also if you get something like Foxtel or Optus TV then they work fine too.

• 2 weeks later...

My friend has just moved from temporary accom' in Sydney into her townhouse and gave a very good tip -pack duvets/blankets in your airfreight if you can as the ones they provide in the moving in pack to tide you over till your sea freight arrives are very thin and she was cold overnight and had to go buy more -also found that feather duvets are hard to come by or very expensive. :cool:

• 3 weeks later...

For us the process is nearly at its end :) this site has been invaluable to ease the stress of the waiting game. So thanks every who has ever posted or given us advice, it's very much appreciated.

Less than a month left in the UK :wink: before we start our wonderful adventure in Australia. We have sorted most things out (apart from our poor dog who has to wait a few months before he can fly out) already house, car and school to ease the pressure. The whole family are remarkably chilled even with NO furniture in our house ;-)

Wishing everyone good luck and please feel free to ask questions, we will do our best to answer them honestly x

For us the process is nearly at its end :) this site has been invaluable to ease the stress of the waiting game. So thanks every who has ever posted or given us advice, it's very much appreciated.

Less than a month left in the UK :wink: before we start our wonderful adventure in Australia. We have sorted most things out (apart from our poor dog who has to wait a few months before he can fly out) already house, car and school to ease the pressure. The whole family are remarkably chilled even with NO furniture in our house ;-)

Wishing everyone good luck and please feel free to ask questions, we will do our best to answer them honestly x

Ditto!

We have a sign on date at Aus House 26 June 14 -so maybe see you there?? Where have you been posted? -We've got Sydney with a stop over in Hong Kong (but OH still doesn't know exactly where he'll be working!!)

We wish you all the best... :cool:

Hello!!

We're flying out on 26 June and trying to decide on defence housing.... Does anyone have any thoughts or opinions on the Carlingford suburb? School and shopping seem good....not sure about transport links.... Is it a safe area? We have 2 kids ( 7 & 8) and I'm a nurse so was thinking Westmead hospital is close by. What's the childcare situation like? I've read there's OOSH attached to Carlingford West primary....

We'd appreciate any help....

Thanks

Hello!!

We're flying out on 26 June and trying to decide on defence housing.... Does anyone have any thoughts or opinions on the Carlingford suburb? School and shopping seem good....not sure about transport links.... Is it a safe area? We have 2 kids ( 7 & 8) and I'm a nurse so was thinking Westmead hospital is close by. What's the childcare situation like? I've read there's OOSH attached to Carlingford West primary....

Thanks

Hi! Can't help re schooling as we don't have kids but it may be best to ask Tony (if going Sydney side). It seems that most of business class will be taken up with lateral entries! :D Our flight is at 1700 so perhaps we'll see you there. :cool:

Ditto!

We have a sign on date at Aus House 26 June 14 -so maybe see you there?? Where have you been posted? -We've got Sydney with a stop over in Hong Kong (but OH still doesn't know exactly where he'll be working!!)

We wish you all the best... :cool:

I think we will most prob see each other and most probably be on the same flight, We're heading to Perth via HK! Interesting for your OH still not knowing where he will be working, hope you are all remaining chilled.

All the best to you also.

Well, I have been here now for nearly two months now and I can honestly say that all the hard work, effort and stress that you go through over the two years is totally worth it. This place is amazing and everyday throws up something new and exciting, and that's even after I have arrived in their winter, it's still glorious 80% of the time.

There is a lot to learn work wise (especially the admin aspect) but once you get stuck in, its like anything, you learn as you go on.

I've come over on my own (girlfriend inbound from UK in a month) and I know from experience that after looking on this site prior to coming, I had loads of Qs regarding the process after you arrive so if anyone does have anything they would like to ask, then just fire away, either on here or private message is fine.

I'm based in Sydney as a POET (WE) btw and I know it's only my opinion but I'd recommend anyone who has the chance to get out here to just do it, the good times outweigh the bad enormously.

Sheaks- were you a CPO before the move? How long will you stay as a PO before picking up your chiefs? We are in the (slowwwww!) process of applying at the moment and will be sydney based too, so any information will be gratefully received!

Its so nice hearing that you're enjoying things over there because there is so much stuff to be sorted prior to going (and being accepted too I guess) that you can often lose sight of the end goal unfortunately!

:wink:

I have yet another question...! Once you have sent off the application form and accompanying docs, how long is it till you hear back from the selection board as to whether its a yey or nay? Assuming we get the nod, my husband will need to submit his notice in September for the September 2015 provisional joining date that they have given us, which isn't really that far away so once against getting anxious about time frames etc! (Hmm... Maybe I just need to chill out a bit?! :wink:)

We understand the stress of trying to work out time scales :-/ I would allow 18 to 24 months from EOI being submitted. This is with the new system in place.

By the way ....There is a face book page 'OLT' with lots of useful info.

We understand the stress of trying to work out time scales :-/ I would allow 18 to 24 months from EOI being submitted. This is with the new system in place.

By the way ....There is a face book page 'OLT' with lots of useful info.

ooohhhh... Thanks for the info on the fb page- I've sent a friend request so hopefully I'll be able to have a gander soon and ask my non-stop questions on there rather than on here!! ??

we've an email this morning basically just saying thanks for all the paperwork, now you need to sit and wait for a response??....

ooohhhh... Thanks for the info on the fb page- I've sent a friend request so hopefully I'll be able to have a gander soon and ask my non-stop questions on there rather than on here!! 

we've an email this morning basically just saying thanks for all the paperwork, now you need to sit and wait for a response....

Fire away with questions on here, that's what it's here for. Believe me it's kept us sane through the constant waiting, checking email and what if scenarios. Good luck :)

Hello!!

Thanks

Hi I have been on this site for well over a year.

We moved to Sydney nearly 6 years ago. We where told to move to this and that place b4 we got here. Well I didn't move to any of the areas that people told me where nice. We hired a car and drove around with the kids looking at houses and areas. From the northern beaches to the Sutherland shire.

People don't realise how big Sydney is until they get here. I would tell everyone to do the same. Just because one area is good for one family doesn't mean it will be good for you. Think very carefully b4 you lock a house down, its very hard to unlock it once done. Good luck with the move, hope everything goes well

Archived