transferring from R.N to R.A.N royal navy to royal australian navy

Guest guest25493

When all aspects of your application are complete, your RAN contact will raise a 'Intend to Enlist' signal. This signal informs all the authorities including housing and removals etc of your intended transfer details. Housing send you login details for their site for you to view potential homes.

www.dha.gov.au

Aha- Thankyou v much RN2RAAF- I know I'm jumping the gun a bit (/ a lot!) but I just wanted to have a look at jobs for me before we took the step! That is so exciting that you're off soon... Eeekk!! Are you going to have to drop a rank for a while or are you keeping your PO's? When did you start the whole process? And finally (:cute:) did you have to do the full 12 months notice period or have you managed to get out sooner?

• Replies 1.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Aha- Thankyou v much RN2RAAF- I know I'm jumping the gun a bit (/ a lot!) but I just wanted to have a look at jobs for me before we took the step! That is so exciting that you're off soon... Eeekk!! Are you going to have to drop a rank for a while or are you keeping your PO's? When did you start the whole process? And finally (:cute:) did you have to do the full 12 months notice period or have you managed to get out sooner?

Not dropping a rank, no. CPO engineers often do as, in the RAN, their CPO engineers are 'charge qualified' where as in the RN, they are not.

We initially started in May 2011 but the reasons for delays are long and plentiful so I won't bore you with them. The process is longer for submariners as the additional medical takes about 4 months to be granted. Being in a shortage branch in the RN, yes, I had to serve a full 12 months notice. However, I did have a month waivered on the understanding that I forego my 4 weeks terminal leave. I needed to do this in order to make my enlistment date before visa expiry (12 months after initial application). Hope this all helps.

Not dropping a rank, no. CPO engineers often do as, in the RAN, their CPO engineers are 'charge qualified' where as in the RN, they are not.

We initially started in May 2011 but the reasons for delays are long and plentiful so I won't bore you with them. The process is longer for submariners as the additional medical takes about 4 months to be granted. Being in a shortage branch in the RN, yes, I had to serve a full 12 months notice. However, I did have a month waivered on the understanding that I forego my 4 weeks terminal leave. I needed to do this in order to make my enlistment date before visa expiry (12 months after initial application). Hope this all helps.

Ah cool- thanks for all the info.. It seems that this whole process is completely mind boggling from start to finish!! We initially started the process last year and my husband had his medical etc etc but then things seemed to fall into place over here (he got extended in the RN and I got the job I wanted) so we called a halt to everything but now we're both having the 'what if's?' and wondering if we did actually make the right decision... (I suspect not :0( )

Anyway- we're planning to get the ball rolling again in the next couple of months and then go from there- it may be that we've missed our opportunity or it may turn out that it is all meant to be, either way, it'll be an exciting (/painful!) few months waiting to find out!

Ah cool- thanks for all the info.. It seems that this whole process is completely mind boggling from start to finish!! We initially started the process last year and my husband had his medical etc etc but then things seemed to fall into place over here (he got extended in the RN and I got the job I wanted) so we called a halt to everything but now we're both having the 'what if's?' and wondering if we did actually make the right decision... (I suspect not :0( )

Anyway- we're planning to get the ball rolling again in the next couple of months and then go from there- it may be that we've missed our opportunity or it may turn out that it is all meant to be, either way, it'll be an exciting (/painful!) few months waiting to find out!

Cool. Well, good luck with it all. Hope it all goes well. Our decision to make the move was as much to do with the direction the UK is currently going than service life in the RN. Transferring into the RAN made the move a whole lot easier. It's 'money for old rope' only in warmer climes and better living and working conditions. Apart from those who we leave behind, I can't find a reason NOT to do it! ;)

Hi again!

Congrats on your date :-)

Could I ask you......when you made your visa application did you automatically attach all that they 'recommend' ( that very long list for all family members travelling!!) or were you contacted by immigration to confirm/request the documentation they required??? I am thinking we should 'attach' it to prevent further delays.... I am a bit mind boggled by it all!!! Glad to hear I'm not the only one torn with excitement and reservations!!

Hi from down under

I made the move in early November 2013 and I am based in HMAS Stirling WA (yes a submariner). I used this site for reference during my 18 month application process, I never posted but did a lot of reading. What I will say to those people thinking about it or actually in the process is get everything in writing. We were promissed one weeks car hire on arrival, well they stopped that we found out just before we left the UK, so be prepared to sort out and pay for your own hire car (transport is essential). Check with the DHA for housing as we were promissed a house and on arrival were told no houses available and it will remain that way for the a good while yet. I have had to arrange my own private rental which is a minefield in WA. Well some of you are now thinking either whinging git or OMG, well if I could turn back time and start again I would still grab it with both hands so I'm not a whinging git I'm someone that has been there and done it and would do it all over again. Its not all peachy, you have got some tough times ahead but if you persevere it will be worth it.

Hi from down under

I made the move in early November 2013 and I am based in HMAS Stirling WA (yes a submariner). I used this site for reference during my 18 month application process, I never posted but did a lot of reading. What I will say to those people thinking about it or actually in the process is get everything in writing. We were promissed one weeks car hire on arrival, well they stopped that we found out just before we left the UK, so be prepared to sort out and pay for your own hire car (transport is essential). Check with the DHA for housing as we were promissed a house and on arrival were told no houses available and it will remain that way for the a good while yet. I have had to arrange my own private rental which is a minefield in WA. Well some of you are now thinking either whinging git or OMG, well if I could turn back time and start again I would still grab it with both hands so I'm not a whinging git I'm someone that has been there and done it and would do it all over again. Its not all peachy, you have got some tough times ahead but if you persevere it will be worth it.

Craig, for me, this information is very valuable so I thank you for posting it. It's often difficult to get up-to-date info like this. So this is priceless for me and many others I'm sure. I can now plan to have a personally funded hire car until I buy and sort out housing too.

Being a submariner and also about to be based at HMAS Stirling means this info is even more valuable to me personally.

Never accept being accused of being a 'winging git' for sharing your personal experiences of the biggest move you'll probably ever make in your life, good or bad. Fore warned is fore armed!

Thanks again!

Ady

cheers for that Ady, nobody has called me a whinging git (yet). Everything that has happened to me has been sorted out now, it was just a lot of little things that added to the stress pile, stress we didn't need. My wife an I were fortunate that we weren't dragging little kids around when we were sorting everything out. As I said in my earlier post don't let what happened to me put you off, I don't regret the move, I just wish someone had pre warned me. Again all I can say is do your research, expect the unexpected but most of all remember that there are plenty of ex RN out here so if you have any snags/?s just shout. Please feel free to PM me if have any ?s or if I can assist in smoothing your transition. When are you due to make the move?

Hello Craig,

thanks for the real time info. We are moving out to perth in March 14. My husband is also a submariner, WE so I'm sure he will see u soon lol

re the house situation, were u offered a house prior to moving. We have reserved a house on homefinder with dha, we have a baby and toddler so I hope we get the house we have reserved.

Thanks, Kirsty

Hi Kirsty

We were trying online for about 3 months before we arrived and it just kept saying nothing available, I e-mailed DHA thinking it might be a problem with the web site and again told nothing available. I have heard of people rejecting 2 or 3 houses before accepting one, but I think I was just unlucky. If you get offered a house and you can get someone to scope the area before you make the decision to lock it down that might a good idea. Where have you reserved your house? I'm living about 27Km from the base so it's a bit of a trek each way every day, we have a 6 month rental contract and when it expires we might try for a a DHA house if any available.

Good luck with the move.

Hi Debbs,

Can I please PM you? We have a move date of 10 April to Sydney and I have a million questions about the move and no one to ask!

Many Thanks

Sharon:biggrin:

Hi, we have been in Sydney 7 weeks now and loving every minute. When you arrive you will be put in temporary accommodation hotel or apartment. We were here 3 days before my husband popped in for the morning and got all his kit. They are very good and will help with finding areas to live. You really need to take your time and decide where you want to live. We are renting through DHA but you can rent privately. Good luck

Hi Sharon,

yes pm me we have been here in Sydney 4 months now and should be able to help with most things.

Debbs

Hi Debbs,

Can I please PM you? We have a move date of 10 April to Sydney and I have a million questions about the move and no one to ask!

Many Thanks

Sharon:biggrin:

• 2 weeks later...

Hi again all, just about ready to submit my 186 Visa now and had a quick query before committing....

On the skills assessment page does it really matter what I select? I mean i've chosen something that pretty much described my role within the RN but I don't have a skills assessment as I thought this was wrapped up in my labour agreement? I have read that it's not applicable for our visa type but just wanted to be sure.

Also I have read people attaching copies of supporting documentation, I assume this asked for after you submit the visa as there appears to be no point during the online application to attach documents unless i've missed it?

thanks, Lee

Hi Lee,

All supporting docs you attach after completing the application. - there are a lot!! Regarding skills assessment, can't remember that question, but you need to attach a copy of all your Quals as supplied to the Lateral entries team. (print out from JPA and CV) .

Hope that helps.

Smurph

Hi again all, just about ready to submit my 186 Visa now and had a quick query before committing....

On the skills assessment page does it really matter what I select? I mean i've chosen something that pretty much described my role within the RN but I don't have a skills assessment as I thought this was wrapped up in my labour agreement? I have read that it's not applicable for our visa type but just wanted to be sure.

Also I have read people attaching copies of supporting documentation, I assume this asked for after you submit the visa as there appears to be no point during the online application to attach documents unless i've missed it?

thanks, Lee

Hi,

we are just about to submit the visa also!

What part of oz are you going to?

My OH has dropped down one rate, so will go across as a PO (also a tiff) We have been told by our contact in OZ to put down Senior non commissioned defence force member (on the skills assessment page)

We keep getting an error message on our visa app. It appears on page 4... (Critical data error?) Don't suppose this happened with you guys?

Good luck!

Emma

QUOTE=smurph;1936423330]Hi Lee,

All supporting docs you attach after completing the application. - there are a lot!! Regarding skills assessment, can't remember that question, but you need to attach a copy of all your Quals as supplied to the Lateral entries team. (print out from JPA and CV) .

Hope that helps.

Smurph

• 2 weeks later...

Archived