transferring from R.N to R.A.N royal navy to royal australian navy

Guest guest25493

Hi. We are interested in doing a lateral move into the RAN, my husband is now out of the RN after 22 years. The difference with us is I am Australian so my husband already has a permanent residency spouse visa (granted last year). What do the RAN pay for with a transfer? Do they cover your flights, shipping, accommodation on arrival? Once they request your documents what happens next? Thank you to anyone who can help!

• Replies 1.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Hi, we have just gone through the process. Once you put in your expression of interest they will let you know if they want you or not.

They will then ask for your service history and your husband will have to do a medical which will get sent off to Australia with his dental records they will the review it if everything is ok with them they will then go forward by offering you a condition of service it does take quite a few weeks for you to receive it. Once this is done and you have accepted it they will nominate you under the labour agreement for your job offer. As you already have your visa's it will not take you anywhere as long as everyone else as that part is the longest wait.

you will be given a date to transfer and then they will arrange for your furniture to be shipped over and book your flights( they cover the cost for all this) the RAN accommodate you in house's rented by DHE they pay so much towards your monthly rent there is a chart on how much they will pay upto for you, I think I found it by searching for dhe housing website.

Hope this helps

Debbs

Hi. We are interested in doing a lateral move into the RAN, my husband is now out of the RN after 22 years. The difference with us is I am Australian so my husband already has a permanent residency spouse visa (granted last year). What do the RAN pay for with a transfer? Do they cover your flights, shipping, accommodation on arrival? Once they request your documents what happens next? Thank you to anyone who can help!

Hi, we have just gone through the process. Once you put in your expression of interest they will let you know if they want you or not.

They will then ask for your service history and your husband will have to do a medical which will get sent off to Australia with his dental records they will the review it if everything is ok with them they will then go forward by offering you a condition of service it does take quite a few weeks for you to receive it. Once this is done and you have accepted it they will nominate you under the labour agreement for your job offer. As you already have your visa's it will not take you anywhere as long as everyone else as that part is the longest wait.

you will be given a date to transfer and then they will arrange for your furniture to be shipped over and book your flights( they cover the cost for all this) the RAN accommodate you in house's rented by DHE they pay so much towards your monthly rent there is a chart on how much they will pay upto for you, I think I found it by searching for dhe housing website.

Hope this helps

Debbs

Thank you that's incredibly helpful. We have done the expression of interest and been asked for a whole range of documents. Does this mean they want him!? I won't look at housing just yet but thanks for the heads up of where to look. What does your husband do? Mine was in avionics but was teaching the cadets when he came out. What part of Australia are you headed to? Wishing you lots of luck with it all and thanks for replying.

Hi again,

they don't normally ask if they are not interested they will want his documents to see what skills he has to offer, so i think your definitely on the right road

we are going to Sydney in September.

good luck let me know how you get on.

​Debs

Thank you that's incredibly helpful. We have done the expression of interest and been asked for a whole range of documents. Does this mean they want him!? I won't look at housing just yet but thanks for the heads up of where to look. What does your husband do? Mine was in avionics but was teaching the cadets when he came out. What part of Australia are you headed to? Wishing you lots of luck with it all and thanks for replying.

Hi,

we are aLao going to Sydney but not until 26 sept just got our case officer for visa needing one lat thing.

as far as I am aware you go in a hotel for a few days to start. You will be given something called she keys to look on see if you like any of the houses, they do not have married quarters they rent private properties. You are going to similar area to us have a look on line at these areas to get a feel for properties Gymea, Cronulla, Caringbah, Kiwweee, Sylvania waters, Miranda.

my very good friend lives in Sydney and has advised us they are the best areas. If there are none of the houses on Che you like they will put you in temporary accomadtion until you find one, I have been advised that its sometimes better to wait.

let me know if you need any more info been researching for weeks with help from my friend.

​debs

Hi Debs, thanks very much for that its a great help. I am getting excited/nervous now as less than 12 weeks to go eeek!! Thats good that you have a friend there already. We have friends going but they wont be going until November so its us going into the unknown!!! I will check out these areas now and forward them onto my husband for him to have a look. Thanks again. Marie.

• 2 weeks later...

Wow Debbs72. That was quick. Congratulations.

We have delayed our application. Wont be putting in the expression of interest until next December (2014). Seems a long way off, but it will fly i am sure. I start uni in sept and we need to time it so that we don't go out until i have qualified as a midwife. We are likely to get Sydney too.

I don't post on here often but i like to keep an eye out and see how everyones visas are going. Hope this means you will be moving soon.

I cant believe its only 74 days until we fly! Its going so quickly now. Removals booked just waiting on flight details. The next couple of months are already so hectic with visiting family and friends to say our goodbyes and the continuing of clearing and sorting. Its definatley keeping us busy thats for sure!

Good Luck to all those just starting out on the journey it can be a long and emotinal one BUT well worth it.

Perth here we come!!!!!!!!!!! :biggrin:

Good luck neenie,

we have our pre assessment removals on Wednesday everything is moving so fast now we fly on 26th September. Can't believe it's happening sometimes. There seems so much to,do. Anyway hope everything goes well.

debbs

I cant believe its only 74 days until we fly! Its going so quickly now. Removals booked just waiting on flight details. The next couple of months are already so hectic with visiting family and friends to say our goodbyes and the continuing of clearing and sorting. Its definatley keeping us busy thats for sure!

Good Luck to all those just starting out on the journey it can be a long and emotinal one BUT well worth it.

73 days now, I can't wait, fed up with waiting!!! Removals are booked for the 10th July, which is only 4 weeks away, and then we'll be homeless and living with in-laws!!!

We spoke to the contact at the HC last week, he said will be looking to start booking up our flights in a couple of weeks.

Just got to find somewhere to live now, there is nothing at all on homefind, apparently a big shortage of houses in Perth area at the minute, which is a bit worrying.

73 days now, I can't wait, fed up with waiting!!! Removals are booked for the 10th July, which is only 4 weeks away, and then we'll be homeless and living with in-laws!!!

We spoke to the contact at the HC last week, he said will be looking to start booking up our flights in a couple of weeks.

Just got to find somewhere to live now, there is nothing at all on homefind, apparently a big shortage of houses in Perth area at the minute, which is a bit worrying.

If you find something independently there is loads on the market. We have just had a friend get a place at Harbour Rise and got it discounted from 1100 per week to 800 per week, so it looks like the rental market over here is dying for customers.

Our removals coming beginning of Augaust as have no relatives to stay with! So bit of a pain leaving it until the last minute, but means the children will be settled a tiny bit longer.

Debbs, not much longer for you either. What an adventure we are all embarking on!

Tell me about it, I am not even checking daily at the moment as there is nothing. Hey ho it will all come right in the end.

Dont you just wish they would book them already LOL, I like to plan so really want to know where our stopover is, I am more patient than when we started the process though.

Time seems to be flying by at the moment. We are fed up with waiting too, but the next couple of months are very busy so we will be at the airport before we know it.

Hi neenie we had contact with our officer from high commission to give us loads of details as we are going to sydney our stop over will be Hong Kong we were asked if we wanted a short or few day stop.

We also will not have anyone to live with but are going to live without our stuff for as long as needed I will,up and down to my mums with washing lol.

we are buying some new stuff there so not to bad at least by Christmas we will be all settled in and ready for the summer sounds strange can't wait to watch the fireworks over sydney harbour.

Our removals coming beginning of Augaust as have no relatives to stay with! So bit of a pain leaving it until the last minute, but means the children will be settled a tiny bit longer.

Debbs, not much longer for you either. What an adventure we are all embarking on!

Tell me about it, I am not even checking daily at the moment as there is nothing. Hey ho it will all come right in the end.

Dont you just wish they would book them already LOL, I like to plan so really want to know where our stopover is, I am more patient than when we started the process though.

Time seems to be flying by at the moment. We are fed up with waiting too, but the next couple of months are very busy so we will be at the airport before we know it.

hope you find a place soon, must feel a bit stressful but wishing you lots of luck.

Well unfortunately our application has come to a halt. After submitting an application and told they were positions, after waiting for a few months for a CoS instead I received an e mail to say they are now no longer recruiting in my area. I am currently WO2ET(WE) a real bombshell as all was looking good and we were looking forward to a new life down under.

Good luck to those who are successful

Has anyone heard of this happening, and have they been lucky enough to be selected at a later time

Well unfortunately our application has come to a halt. After submitting an application and told they were positions, after waiting for a few months for a CoS instead I received an e mail to say they are now no longer recruiting in my area. I am currently WO2ET(WE) a real bombshell as all was looking good and we were looking forward to a new life down under.

Has anyone heard of this happening, and have they been lucky enough to be selected at a later time

Hi Andy,

You are not the first this has happened to in the last few months, I am a Submariner (CPOET(WESM)) and a few others that I know of have been waiting on medical clearance and CoS and have had Emails to say they have no more vacancies. Couldn't say if it's the same for the surface world, but a friend of mine out there has told me it is a temporary pause as there are too many people in the pipeline for them to train. I think it will stop for a while and then start again later, couldn't say when though.

It seems to be that the CoS is the cut-off stage, if you can get that far you are ok.

Hopefully you might be able to have another crack in the future.

Chris

Hi Andy

Personally I think you have had a lucky escape! However this happened to my husband. He applied, was led to believe that there were vacancies, and then got turned down. We decided to apply for a visa in our own right and come out anyway (as my husbands role was on the SOL). Six months later, as our visa application was being submitted, he got a call to say that 2 departments had not talked to eachother and he was supposed to have been offered a job and could he start the following January (this year). Initially he accepted, but we continued applying for our own visa as we did not trust the RAN. They were so inefficient and incompetent that they made the RN look efficient. We endured several months of being mucked around and lied to (including about the CoS) and eventually we got fed up and withdrew, shortly after getting a visa in our own right.

We came out at the same time we would have come if my husband had gone into the RAN and it is the best thing we ever did. My husband has a lovely job that he really enjoys, on a decent salary and best of all, we, as his family, don't have to endure being moved around the country every couple of years.

Just because the RAN have said no, does not mean you can't come out here under your own steam if you want to.

We did and we know of several others who have also got fed up of the way the RAN behaved (even before they were recruited) and also said no to them and have come out on their own. All are doing well.

Best of luck!

Hi,

near enough the same happened to me. I got accepted, then towards the end was told there were too many people joining. I was told to try againg in 18/24 months. My wife applied for a 457 visa, got accepted, moved in 6 months, we got PR with in a year of moving and bought a house. I am just serving out my last 10 months in the RN before I move permenantly to find a civvy job. Much as I would have liked the security of the RAN this is better for us. I have heard a fair number of these sorts of stories now. If Australia is where you want to be there are more ways to get there than with the RAN. However if I had of been successful I would have accepted it and enjoyed it but I honestly believe I would have only have served the minimum time.

Good luck which ever way you choose.

RAS.

10 Weeks today until we fly to Perth........Excited!!!

Less than four weeks until the packers come, I have no idea what to do with the house, it's not like moving house normally when you can start to pack things away and take pictures down because someone is going to do it all, its a bit of a strange time tbh!

Hopefully going to get some news on flights and stopover in the next week or so.

Hi,

we are aLao going to Sydney but not until 26 sept just got our case officer for visa needing one lat thing.

as far as I am aware you go in a hotel for a few days to start. You will be given something called she keys to look on see if you like any of the houses, they do not have married quarters they rent private properties. You are going to similar area to us have a look on line at these areas to get a feel for properties Gymea, Cronulla, Caringbah, Kiwweee, Sylvania waters, Miranda.

my very good friend lives in Sydney and has advised us they are the best areas. If there are none of the houses on Che you like they will put you in temporary accomadtion until you find one, I have been advised that its sometimes better to wait.

let me know if you need any more info been researching for weeks with help from my friend.

​debs

Hi I dont come on here very often now. I dont know who said there are no such thng as MQ there are loads all over Sydney, and you have said that you are looking in the areas in the shire, I think there are more MQ here than anywhere else. I live in Caringbah and have been here nearly 5 years. I have a 4 bed house 5 mins fro the beach good shopping loads of parks for kids and great for shopping,plus the train that takes you to the city within 50 mins...

The Navy put you up in a hotel for a few weeks until you find somewhere to live. The one thing you have to rememeber is that if you live in the shire the houses are a lot smaller than other areas.

Hope this helps. If you need to know anything else just ask, I know you sad your friend lives here but always happy to help :)

Hi Anita,

what I meant by no married quarters as in not like the uk all together on an estate. We've been in touch DHA and there is only one house available at the moment but they have said there maybe something else nearer the time, And my friend has told me there are always more available when you arrive to look at. So not to worried. Thanks anyway

Debbs

Hi I dont come on here very often now. I dont know who said there are no such thng as MQ there are loads all over Sydney, and you have said that you are looking in the areas in the shire, I think there are more MQ here than anywhere else. I live in Caringbah and have been here nearly 5 years. I have a 4 bed house 5 mins fro the beach good shopping loads of parks for kids and great for shopping,plus the train that takes you to the city within 50 mins...

The Navy put you up in a hotel for a few weeks until you find somewhere to live. The one thing you have to rememeber is that if you live in the shire the houses are a lot smaller than other areas.

Hope this helps. If you need to know anything else just ask, I know you sad your friend lives here but always happy to help :)

Hi Anita,

what I meant by no married quarters as in not like the uk all together on an estate. We've been in touch DHA and there is only one house available at the moment but they have said there maybe something else nearer the time, And my friend has told me there are always more available when you arrive to look at. So not to worried. Thanks anyway

Debbs

No probs at all. We didnt get on homefinder until we got here, I found that worked better for us. We had people telling us where to live all the time. I already knew I wanted to look at the shire I had an Aussie tell me to look here, being Cornish he said it would suit me down to the ground and it does.. Wait untill you get here and have a good look around. Just because it works for some doesnt meean it will work for you. There are some other great areas to live in too. You have Manly, Dee Why and frencs forest are all nice places for others coming over :)

10 Weeks today until we fly to Perth........Excited!!!

Less than four weeks until the packers come, I have no idea what to do with the house, it's not like moving house normally when you can start to pack things away and take pictures down because someone is going to do it all, its a bit of a strange time tbh!

Hopefully going to get some news on flights and stopover in the next week or so.

Cant believe how quickly the time is going! We start our rounds of goodbyes next week its going to be so strange saying bye to aunts and uncles we know we wont see for a long time (They dont visit us here they wont come to Aus!) ALready had one tearful goodbye on Friday when the toddler group we went to closed for summer, been going there for 5 yrs it was dreadful saying goodbye and they arent family!!!!

Here's hoping we get flight/stopover info soon, getting excited to know where we are stopping over and who we are flying with!!!! :D

Archived