transferring from R.N to R.A.N royal navy to royal australian navy

Guest guest25493

• Replies 1.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Hello, my husband is currently serving in the Royal Navy as a leading aircraft engineer technician and we are discussing a move to australia and him transferring to the Australian navy or army dependent on recruitment as he also served in the British Army as a mechanic. Could anyone give us as much info as possible please? We have 4 children under 6 so would need info on australian schooling? housing? finacial pro's and con's? and what the Australian Forces are like? Thank you so much to anyone that can help.

Hi all,

I have been reading through this website over the past few months and love it - so thanks. My OH is desperate to get over to OZ and it must be said that I am quite keen too. Anyway, we are currently in the research stage. MY OH is the RN (fleet air arm) and could potentially transfer to the RAN or RAAF. I would love to get over the Perth, but OH is not a submarine. Is this possible?

Also, how much time do they tend to spend at sea???

Thanks, Jo

Hi my husband is currently fleet air armat Yeovil, How did your research go? If you decided to move how easy was it to transfer from his job to RAN?

Hope to here from you soon x

So, months after submitting an online EOI and subsequently completing the lengthy OLTS application form I had heard nothing. I sent an email querying and received a reply that I had made a paper board sitting at the end of May. Anybody any experience of this?

Hi all meds went fine, no problems. Just wondering how long we will wait for a case officer for visa as our date for leaving is 26 sept how long did it take you all.

​debbs

Thats great news Debbs.

We applied for visa 1/9/12 meds done 7/10/12 CO contacted us 1/5/13 visa granted 2/5/13:jiggy: and we go 22nd August. But others have had it a lot quicker, there really is no exact time scale, more like how long is a piece of string!

Hope you hear soon, xx

Hi,

Been following this thread for a while now with great interesr, currently in my last 6 months of service in RN and have been going through the process of applying as a Marine Engineer for the RAN. Got a Conditions of Service letter on the 16th March and then applied for the 186 visa on the 20th March. Reading through all of your experiences anticipated a long wait, however got up this morning and there was an email with the visa approval. 7 weeks later!!

We are all looking forward to going down under later on in the year, this includes 2 teenagers as well.

I guess this only adds more weight to the argument that no 2 visa applications are the same, I hope you all have success with your applications as well.

I will be reading with interest

Hi,

Been following this thread for a while now with great interesr, currently in my last 6 months of service in RN and have been going through the process of applying as a Marine Engineer for the RAN. Got a Conditions of Service letter on the 16th March and then applied for the 186 visa on the 20th March. Reading through all of your expriences anticipated a long wait, however got up this morning and there was an email with the visa approval. 7 weeks later!!

We are all looking forward to going down under later on in the year, this includes 2 teenagers as well.

I guess this only adds more weight to the argument that no 2 visa applications are the same, I hope you all have success with your applications as well.

I will be reading with interest

Congratulations! When do you go? Where are you off to?

I find it very strange that some people get visa grants really quickly and others (yes us!) have to wait so long, it really makes you wonder how the catagorise the applications.

At least we know we are very nearly there now!

Hi, Been following this thread for a while now with great interesr, currently in my last 6 months of service in RN and have been going through the process of applying as a Marine Engineer for the RAN. Got a Conditions of Service letter on the 16th March and then applied for the 186 visa on the 20th March. Reading through all of your experiences anticipated a long wait, however got up this morning and there was an email with the visa approval. 7 weeks later!! We are all looking forward to going down under later on in the year, this includes 2 teenagers as well. I guess this only adds more weight to the argument that no 2 visa applications are the same, I hope you all have success with your applications as well. I will be reading with interest ​

Hi,

my god that was quick what's your date for going?

If you don't mind me asking how old are your teenagers? I've got a 16 year old who's a little apprehensive but looking forward to the move.

we uploaded everything we possibly could within the first few days of applying for visa so hoping ours will be quick to. I've noticed if your over a year before you go they seem to put you to the back of que.

well 5 months to go so fingers crossed everything will go ok for us as it did for you.

​Debbs

Hi all,

Yes it does seem a bit quick, after waiting around for months for our COS, then everything has gone by very quick whilst I was expecting it not to be approved/rejected around July August time.

Anyway we are off to Sydney in December as mt TX date is mid November, not sure whether to wait til we get there for a quarter but do know that kids will be on their summer holidays when we arrive so hopefully will have some time to decide on arrival.

To answer your query debbs , my girls will be 16 and 14 when we go, both are really excited and my eldest is sitting all of her GCSE's this year as she is quite academic, I know these wont count for much down under but she may return to the UK one day, and will almost be like she is finishing her education here before we go.

Our biggest concerns are where about's in Sydney to live, as I am going to Waterhen I think it would be prudent to live north of the river but have no idea of good areas for housing, schools or even where they have quarters.

I'm sure the all will become clear as we go on, but if anyone out there knows about Sydney then all advice is gratefully received.

Regards

​Paul

Hi Paul,

we are going to the other side of Sydney. My best friend did the same move 5 years ago and gave us loads of information on housing. The areas she has advised are Caringbah, Cronulla, Gymea, Cronulla, kiwwee, Miranda, Como, Jannali. But they are on th other side of the river. We've had lots I'd advice on waiting until we get there to choose a house as a lot of the time they only put on the houses they can't get rid of, unless we see anything we really like the look of then we can lock it down but not under obligation to take it if we don't like it on arrival.

anyway our son is also 16 and doing his gces's but knows he has to go back to school until he's 18 to get the Ozzie qualifications.

​debbie

Hi everyone, just wondering if anyone can remember how long it took once your medicals were done for them to put theapplication thanksapplication thanks

Hi Debbs, I called the High Commission in London about 2 weeks later about something else and they told me they could see them on the application with a date about 2 days after they had been completed, so ours were pretty quick. I don't think there is a way that you can check it yourself though, probably best to check with the HC.

​Chris

To confirm with other posts, it doesn't take long at all. The doctor did our meds on a Thursday, told us he would type it up on the Saturday and that Immigration would be able to see the info on the following Monday.

To add that I never saw any info on the immigration website to confirm this, so I would imagine no one has oversight of this process apart from immigration.

Hope this helps, and that all will be clear with your application soon

​Paul

• 2 weeks later...

We are so jealous of you all. We had an email this morning telling us that the RAN is no longer recruiting my hubby's branch. We knew it would be difficult for us anyway, but we are just gutted!

Fingers crossed recruiting opens up again soon for his branch! X

Good luck to all of you, fulfil all yours dreams xx

We are so jealous of you all. We had an email this morning telling us that the RAN is no longer recruiting my hubby's branch. We knew it would be difficult for us anyway, but we are just gutted!

Fingers crossed recruiting opens up again soon for his branch! X

Good luck to all of you, fulfil all yours dreams xx

Why not check if your husband's occupation is on the shortage occupation list (SOL) over here and if it is, apply for permanent residency yourselves? You can then decide where you want to live and are not beholden to anyone. We did it, went for state sponsorship (which we got) which just means we are obliged to live in our specific state for 2 years (not a problem as we really like it here), but my husband can work for whomever he wants and we can't be made to move on every couple of years.

You might do it and find you had a lucky escape!

Hi everyone we have just had our revised COS through for my husband and we are going to Sydney on the 22nd August 2013. Is anyone else going then? Also for those that have already gone to Sydney could you please tell us what the RAN quarters are like and what we are likely to get when we get there? We have a little boy of 20 months so hoping we get a house. Also any advice on where we are likely to be put as my husband has be based at HMAS KUTTABUL.

​Thanks in advance.

Does anyone else have any trouble getting hold of CPO Lange at the lateral recruitment cell? myself and a friend also applying seem to be forever waiting to get a response, sometimes even 5 emails later there is still no reply which is quite frustrating considering that a move to the RAN is quite a significant decision to make.

Why not check if your husband's occupation is on the shortage occupation list (SOL) over here and if it is, apply for permanent residency yourselves? You can then decide where you want to live and are not beholden to anyone. We did it, went for state sponsorship (which we got) which just means we are obliged to live in our specific state for 2 years (not a problem as we really like it here), but my husband can work for whomever he wants and we can't be made to move on every couple of years. You might do it and find you had a lucky escape!

i never thought of that, thank you! I shall get the hubby on to it this weekend x

Hi everyone we have just had our revised COS through for my husband and we are going to Sydney on the 22nd August 2013. Is anyone else going then? Also for those that have already gone to Sydney could you please tell us what the RAN quarters are like and what we are likely to get when we get there? We have a little boy of 20 months so hoping we get a house. Also any advice on where we are likely to be put as my husband has be based at HMAS KUTTABUL.

​Thanks in advance.

Hi,

we are aLao going to Sydney but not until 26 sept just got our case officer for visa needing one lat thing.

as far as I am aware you go in a hotel for a few days to start. You will be given something called she keys to look on see if you like any of the houses, they do not have married quarters they rent private properties. You are going to similar area to us have a look on line at these areas to get a feel for properties Gymea, Cronulla, Caringbah, Kiwweee, Sylvania waters, Miranda.

my very good friend lives in Sydney and has advised us they are the best areas. If there are none of the houses on Che you like they will put you in temporary accomadtion until you find one, I have been advised that its sometimes better to wait.

let me know if you need any more info been researching for weeks with help from my friend.

​debs

Hi should have been dhe keys predictive text correcting me lol

Hi,

we are aLao going to Sydney but not until 26 sept just got our case officer for visa needing one lat thing.

as far as I am aware you go in a hotel for a few days to start. You will be given something called she keys to look on see if you like any of the houses, they do not have married quarters they rent private properties. You are going to similar area to us have a look on line at these areas to get a feel for properties Gymea, Cronulla, Caringbah, Kiwweee, Sylvania waters, Miranda.

my very good friend lives in Sydney and has advised us they are the best areas. If there are none of the houses on Che you like they will put you in temporary accomadtion until you find one, I have been advised that its sometimes better to wait.

let me know if you need any more info been researching for weeks with help from my friend.

​debs

Archived