transferring from R.N to R.A.N royal navy to royal australian navy

Guest guest25493

Hi was wondering if anyone who has already made the move has been in same situation, We have had our Visa approved a few days ago and we are due to make the move to Oz on 8th may so not long left really but we still have been unable to find a house on home find site it just always says there is no homes currently available!! what happens if we cant get a house before we leave? would anyone recommend privately renting first if so what are the best areas to look?? my husband will be working at HMAS Stirling, We have a 5 year old son so really need to know where we will be living so can sort out schooling etc! After all this waiting it seems to be coming round so fast now i worry i wont have everything sorted in time! im getting so nervous now haha! Thanks Jenny :)[/untUOTE]

Hi I thought I replied last night, but I cant see it here, so if it comes up twice sorry. We could not get n homefinder until we got here, I thought that was a good thing. It gave us the chance to have a look at the areas. Like I have said before people can tell you where to live, ad what might be good for them it may not be the right plce for you...When I moved here I had a 13, 15 and 16 year so dont worry about schools. My kids settled in very well. The RA private housing is good for some but not for others... I have 3 friends that have done it and have had to move every year. One friend has been here 14 years and moved every year, she said it was hard because of her kids moving school so often.... Hope this helps, and good luck, a house will come up. :biggrin:

• Replies 1.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Hi thanks for the reply! Oh right so it isnt a problem if we dont find a house on home find before we go then thats good i was under the impression we had to have provisionally approved one before we got there!! where did you live when you got there then and what happens if our furniture arrives before we have a house sorted would we then have to pay for removals once we get a DHA house? Yes i would prefare to live in a DHA house rather than renting as it is more long term than private but was just worrying about making the move to Oz without knowing where we would be living! Thanks again for your reply, Jenny.

Guest jeffner1974
Hi thanks for the reply! Oh right so it isnt a problem if we dont find a house on home find before we go then thats good i was under the impression we had to have provisionally approved one before we got there!! where did you live when you got there then and what happens if our furniture arrives before we have a house sorted would we then have to pay for removals once we get a DHA house? Yes i would prefare to live in a DHA house rather than renting as it is more long term than private but was just worrying about making the move to Oz without knowing where we would be living! Thanks again for your reply, Jenny.

Hi,

try not to worry. just keep checking, something will come up (when we looked at first the houses seemed to come on at odd times and would be off just as fast but something will come up) if you see something you like you can reserve it, doesnt mean you need to take it but you can check it out when you get here. if you dont have anything your furniture ect will go into storage, if you get a house before your stuff arrives they will either keep you in temp accomodation or give you a furniture pack till your own stuff arrives. whichever is more cost effective.

it will all sort itself out. the junior schools are all pretty much the same around this area so i wouldnt worry too much about that unless there is a specific one you want. if you're in the catchement they have to take him, but you cant enrol till you have an address. they all have uniform shops so it's quick and easy to get them started once you know where he's going x

it does all seem daunting and as if things take forever but it gets there, honest :o)

HTH x

Hi all,

we are still waiting on our cos were told 4 weeks ago we would have it in a couple of days then each week and email to say sorry for delay....what a nightmare :(

Hi Debbs72

Dont worry to much they are very slow with everything they do, we were told we would have our COS before Xmas 2011 and we got them about 4 months later but the waiting was worth it and there is a lot of waiting to come, good luck and things will happen slowly but surely

Ruby

• 2 weeks later...

Hi I dont get on here often now. Take your time looking for a house, look in the area's do not be pushed into taking a plce you are not 100% with. You have a few weeks to find something.. Has someone else said they put you uo somewhere nice normally. We stayed in Bondi very nice with a view of the bridge and the opera house. Bit expensive though.We looked at places all over. Once we found a place they gave us all the furniture untill ours got here. We got some great things so dont worry that its all rubbish its not. Schools you will find the right school once you find the right house.. I find it word of mouth about schools... if you want to know anything if your coming to Sydney just PM and I will get back to you :) Anita

Good news got our COS

off to Sydney in September this year so full steam ahead woo hoo:laugh:

Congrats that will fly by. If you need any info on Sydney just shout, we have lived here 4 and half years now.. Good luck :)

Anita have you been to Nowra, we are moving there in 2 weeks, just wondering what it is like really.

Hi Yes I have been down to Nowra, Only been for a few days. So I cant say what its like to live there... I have a friend that lives there they are English. I can ask her where abouts she lives and what are the best areas if you like ?

One of the beaches down their is voted one of the top 10 beaches in the world. its called hyams beach.

Let me know if you need to know where to live.

Anita

Thanks everyone,

Anita I think you maybe friends with my best friend from plymouth Shelley she moved to Sydney 5 years ago. She was over last month giving me loads of iinfo debs x

Hi Debs Yes your right I am very good friends with Shelley, going round there house tomoz infact for a BBQ. Good luck with your move and will hopfully meet you when you get her xx:biggrin:

Hi,

I haven't been on this thread for a while now and just wanted to give an update on life post move.

I was an ME submariner before leaving the RN and have come over here to do the same in the RAN. Life in Oz has been pretty good all round with a few ups and downs.

The weather obviously helps out a lot, and my family and I are certainly making the most of the outdoor lifestyle.

I would like to offer a little piece of career advise to anyone making the move (from a similar background as myself)

Please be very careful/take with a large pinch of salt any career expectations that are offered to you verbally. I was a PO in the RN and was told I needed to drop to leading seaman in the RAN with 3 yrs seniority, I wasn't exactly over the moon about being a JR again however when I spoke about my concerns with the lateral entry staff I was assured that it would only be temporary and that I should expect to recover my rate within 12 months. The reality when you get here is that they will have at least 12 months worth of courses for you, during which time you do not accrue promotional write ups, then I need to join a boat a qualify up to MSM watch keeping level which realistically is at least another 2 yrs before getting a look in at recovering my rate.

Dont get me wrong Australia is awesome and great for he family but don't believe everything you are told and get everything in writing. I am now at the stage were I am pursuing action to break my contract and leave before my six year return of service is complete.

Apologises for the negative vibe, but I would like someone to give me heads up about my career expectations if they could.

Hi all, Had some great news this morning, our Visa has been granted!! For anyone about to apply, ours has taken over 8 months and that was without any obvious problems!! I know some people have had it a lot quicker but I think its worth getting the Visa App in ASAP to avoid the stress that we have had.So we've now got four months to get ourselves ready to go!!Chris

Hi all, Had some great news this morning, our Visa has been granted!! For anyone about to apply, ours has taken over 8 months and that was without any obvious problems!! I know some people have had it a lot quicker but I think its worth getting the Visa App in ASAP to avoid the stress that we have had.So we've now got four months to get ourselves ready to go!!Chris

Thats fantastic news! :)

​great news congrats

Hi everyone,

got our labour agreement through, couldn't believe how quick we got it. Now on to the visa application already submitted main part now just have to get everything certified and police checks done and Medicals are booked for 2 weeks time. Wow everything is moving so fast. Prepared for the long wait for visa approval though x

My top tip for the Visa is to fill in and attach Form 80, it wasn't on the required list when I applied and I got asked for it right at the end, which delayed my application a bit. I would also attach as much as possible to the application, I put a lot on anyway and then got asked for even more by my Case Officer, I had a look at someone elses and they got approved with a lot less, so it seems to depend on your CO allocation. I think the more you attach the more likely you will get approval straight away, I could have saved myself about 6 weeks of waiting.

Hi Yes I have been down to Nowra, Only been for a few days. So I cant say what its like to live there... I have a friend that lives there they are English. I can ask her where abouts she lives and what are the best areas if you like ?

One of the beaches down their is voted one of the top 10 beaches in the world. its called hyams beach.

Let me know if you need to know where to live.

Anita

Hi did your mum sort you with a place. I understand that your mum had already got you a place down there

Hi All,

Another Visa query from myself!!

Had an Email from my case officer in the early hours of this morning asking for more info to finalise my Visa application. Most of it is straight forward, but the one thing i'm not sure about is that she is asking for Evidence of a Skills assessment.

As far as I was aware this is covered by our application process to join the RAN, which concludes with you being offered Conditions of Service and then a Labour Agreement, both of which I've attached to the online application. Has anyone else got any experience of this? And did anyone either receive or attach any additional information to their application which would support "Skills Assessment"?

Any info is greatfully received guys, i'm desperate to get this Visa sorted, seems so near yet so far!!!

Cheers

Chris

hi Chris,

we are in final process of visa application if you don't mind me asking what did you eventually attach for skills assessment we have had most of our documents now with recieved next to them but we also attached cos and it still says required. So in a bit of a dilemma

​many thanks Debbs

hi Chris,

we are in final process of visa application if you don't mind me asking what did you eventually attach for skills assessment we have had most of our documents now with recieved next to them but we also attached cos and it still says required. So in a bit of a dilemma

​many thanks Debbs

Hi Debbs,

I sent an Email back to my CO asking to clarify exactly what she required. She replied to ignore the skills assessment bit as that was for another Visa, it should read qualification and work experience.

I sent; my CV, writeups for the last three years, a list of work references and a letter from my DO attesting to my good character and the JPA service certificate that they print out from the UPO.

As well as my COS, labour agreement and all the standard bits.

I wasn't sure if that was what she wanted but I got the Visa about 6 weeks later.

Chris

Archived