transferring from R.N to R.A.N royal navy to royal australian navy

Guest guest25493

• Replies 1.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Just wondering if anyone has any previous experience or info on pension from RN and tax when in Australia ?? Do we pay tax in UK and then again tax in Oz?? Any info would be great, just waiting on our CoS and wondering how my husbands pension will be affected when we transfer

TIA

Ian and J

I spoke to an accountant last week about this and I was told I would pay no tax in the UK provided I had signed the appropriate forms for the UK taxman declaring I had left the country. In Australia I believe you do not pay tax on your first $18,000. It put my mind at ease but all this would obviously need to be checked.

RAS

Had good news today! We now have our case officer and are now were waiting for our decision! :) only 7 weeks till we are due to fly out to Australia!

everything seems to moving very fast now!

Great news for you getting a CO so quickly, as I read your post I got an Email saying we had got a Case Officer as well!!! Finally after almost 7 months, can't believe it!

Hopefully we get the really good news in about a week

Chris

Hi Debbs72,

I think we are in the same boat! :-) we are waiting on our cos feels like forever!! (It's only been 2 weeks lol) I just want to be making progress, but feels like we are just marking time till we receive it. I'm not very good at waiting!! X let me know how you get on, we too are waiting for cos to arrive before submitting notice.

Hi Everyone,

newbie here, just completing 24 yrs in the RN. WE WO2, interested in joining you all down under. I have submitted my EOI and have the application forms and medical forms to complete. All very daunting I know. Question on my mind at the moment is how does this all work in relation to gratuity and pension. I have read the tax guidelines but clear as mud. Am sure there is someone on here able to explain in plain English

thanks

andy

Hi Debbs72, they first of wanted my hubby to start Jan 14 but he hasn't submitted his 12 months notice so we have revised their offer and said May / June 2014 ( he doesn't want to submit notice until he has his CoS read) and they are happy with that. I think from the waiting times everyone else is experiencing Jan is a bit unrealistic!!

they have offered him Melbourne for his first posting and then Sydney??

We are currently in Lee-on-the-Solent, (Pompey) but moving on the 25th of March to Birmingham.

What about you? Did they give you any indication of where and when?? Where abouts in Plymouth are you? X

Take care, J x

Hi Andy!! Welcome to the waiting game! All very exiting though!! Your name sounds familiar are you by any chance friends with The Peachey's????

We have been reading into this but haven't got any clear guidelines to be honest! I think a chat with a financial adviser/accountant is on the cards! My hubby has done 25, someone replied to a similar question of mine on here and said he thought (wasn't certain) that we sign in the UK to forgo paying tax on the pension here as we will be living abroad. But from the not very clear guidelines I have been reading, I think we get taxed here but the government has agreements with some countries not to double tax! There is a list on government website, and Oz is one :-), as for the lump sum I haven't found out yet! Will let you know when I find out more:biggrin:

Hi J,

they have indicated where at the moment origional ly they wanted us to join June 2013 and then it changed to October 13. My husband is going to ask for early release, I doubt it will be October now although I have read a few posts where people have got through the process very fast. We are living in Plymstock.

do you have any children going with you?

Look forward to hearing from you

debbie

Hi All,

Another Visa query from myself!!

Had an Email from my case officer in the early hours of this morning asking for more info to finalise my Visa application. Most of it is straight forward, but the one thing i'm not sure about is that she is asking for Evidence of a Skills assessment.

As far as I was aware this is covered by our application process to join the RAN, which concludes with you being offered Conditions of Service and then a Labour Agreement, both of which I've attached to the online application. Has anyone else got any experience of this? And did anyone either receive or attach any additional information to their application which would support "Skills Assessment"?

Any info is greatfully received guys, i'm desperate to get this Visa sorted, seems so near yet so far!!!

Cheers

Chris

Hi J,

they have indicated where at the moment origional ly they wanted us to join June 2013 and then it changed to October 13. My husband is going to ask for early release, I doubt it will be October now although I have read a few posts where people have got through the process very fast. We are living in Plymstock.

do you have any children going with you?

Look forward to hearing from you

debbie

Hi Debbie, gosh that is quick! Have you started the visa process yet or are you like us and waiting for the CoS??

Yes we have children!! lol rather a large brood! I have 5 kids from 12 to 3 years old! They are all really keen and excited at the min about it all! What about you, do you have any kids?

Which branch is your husband in? Everyone I have meet or know so far has been posted to Perth (they have mainly been submariners) We did toy with the idea of asking for early release but I don't think they will get our visa and everything else inplace for Jan, so thinking May / June is more likely.

J

Hi Debbie, gosh that is quick! Have you started the visa process yet or are you like us and waiting for the CoS??

Yes we have children!! lol rather a large brood! I have 5 kids from 12 to 3 years old! They are all really keen and excited at the min about it all! What about you, do you have any kids?

Which branch is your husband in? Everyone I have meet or know so far has been posted to Perth (they have mainly been submariners) We did toy with the idea of asking for early release but I don't think they will get our visa and everything else inplace for Jan, so thinking May / June is more likely.

J

Hi J,

no we haven't started the visa process as far as I know you have to wait for the labour agreement.

we are hoping for Sydney.

i have 2 grown up children one is 16 next month and is coming with us the other is nearly 20 he is also in the navy and hoping to come out once he has done his return of service.

some of the visa applications have only taken 3-5 months that i have been reading about normally should only take upto 6 months, so January next year would be very do-able

My husband is into his extra time so early release should be fine for us.

one of my best friends has transferred 5 years ago and loves it she is also in Sydney

hope everything starts move on soon I'm so impatient lol

debs

Hi All,

Woke with the best news ever, our Visas have been granted!!

Fantastic news congrats. Time to start packing the summer clothes my friend is over from Sydney and when she left on Thursday it was 28 degrees

debbie

Evening All,

We have received the document that are required for Pickfords, I'm just wondering, of the ones that have already moved did you insure your good through Pickfords? It all seems a little confusing to me me.

Thankyou

Guest jeffner1974

Hi,

dont use pickfords. they are (by their own admission) very expensive. we used Layton percival off the top of my head i think that was their name. they were pretty good to deal with and the cheapest quote for us. plenty of recommendations on here for other companies

jen x

p.s congratulations on your visa

Evening All,

We have received the document that are required for Pickfords, I'm just wondering, of the ones that have already moved did you insure your good through Pickfords? It all seems a little confusing to me me.

Thankyou

Hi J,

no we haven't started the visa process as far as I know you have to wait for the labour agreement.

we are hoping for Sydney.

i have 2 grown up children one is 16 next month and is coming with us the other is nearly 20 he is also in the navy and hoping to come out once he has done his return of service.

some of the visa applications have only taken 3-5 months that i have been reading about normally should only take upto 6 months, so January next year would be very do-able

My husband is into his extra time so early release should be fine for us.

one of my best friends has transferred 5 years ago and loves it she is also in Sydney

hope everything starts move on soon I'm so impatient lol

debs

Hi J,

Any news yet? had an email to say we should have our cos soon and October is still achievable....god the waiting lol

debb's

Hi J,

Any news yet? had an email to say we should have our cos soon and October is still achievable....god the waiting lol

debb's

Hi Debb's

No we haven't heard anything! So frustrating! We sent them an email last week but haven't heard anything back!! Might get my other half to email or ring again and chase it! At least they have replied to you x I find myself awake every night at 3 / 4 in the morning checking the emails!!

Hi Andy,

Because you will be a perm resident, your RN pension will form part of your income and you will pay tax on it here along with you're wages, at around 38 %.

As far as the RAN pension goes, they will pay you a sum equivalent of 28% of you're annual wage into a pension fund here, which believe me is the best pension in Australia! Put it this way if you joined the RAN from scratch you would get 18%, so they recognise you're time done in the RN for you're 28%. So if you earn $100000 a year in the RAN, they will pay $28000 into a pension for you per year. It soon mounts up!

Regards

Steve

Question. I have seen numerous threads similar to this one and as an ex serviceman have to ask. I swore a oath I took very seriously. You will, in Oz be asked to swear just as serious an oath. It may be unlikely ( but stranger things have happened) what would you do if the UK found itself at war with Oz?

• 2 weeks later...

Hi was wondering if anyone who has already made the move has been in same situation, We have had our Visa approved a few days ago and we are due to make the move to Oz on 8th may so not long left really but we still have been unable to find a house on home find site it just always says there is no homes currently available!! what happens if we cant get a house before we leave? would anyone recommend privately renting first if so what are the best areas to look?? my husband will be working at HMAS Stirling, We have a 5 year old son so really need to know where we will be living so can sort out schooling etc! After all this waiting it seems to be coming round so fast now i worry i wont have everything sorted in time! im getting so nervous now haha! Thanks Jenny :)

Archived