transferring from R.N to R.A.N royal navy to royal australian navy

Guest guest25493

Hi everyone, Just a quick update of where we are received an email this morning to say my husbands medical clearance into RAN has been approved so just waiting on next step hopefully that will be terms of condition :laugh: I will be back on when we here something new

• Replies 1.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

We had our medicals done this morning, so thats the last bit of the puzzle. Just the wait now, we had been told the date of enlistment is 18th April, we then had a major panic, but was told not to worry as we are being put through for priority processing, so hopefully not to much longer.

Omg that's fast have you got your visas etc? We are still in the very early stages just waiting on the conditions of service offer which we have been told this morning should be through with in the coming weeks. I can't believe how much I've become on edge waiting for every email. We were initially told a date of October but that has to be confirmed yet.

good luck with everything, my best friend did the same move as us 5 years ago and is loving said the best thing they ever did

Debbie

Well I've spent the past week reading every post on this thread. Lots and lots of very useful information on here which we will take on board. Hubby has put his expression of interest in and we are going to take it from there. Good luck to everyone.

Hi All,

We are just new to all this and was wondering at what stage did you put your notice in to leave th RN to join RAN, we have had conflicting info, 1 advised us not to do so until visa has been granted and the other said we had to do it on applying for the visa???? confused.com

We had a phone call on Tuesday from Oz advising us they intend to offer my husband employment starting in Jan 2014 (conditions of service to follow within a week or so), but we have yet to submit notice to the RN, we explained this. They then followed up with an email saying there was scope to negotiate date of entry.

Does anyone have any advice on when to submit notice?? And do you do this before visa granted or after?? Any advice is welcomed TIA

Hi All,

We are just new to all this and was wondering at what stage did you put your notice in to leave th RN to join RAN, we have had conflicting info, 1 advised us not to do so until visa has been granted and the other said we had to do it on applying for the visa???? confused.com

We had a phone call on Tuesday from Oz advising us they intend to offer my husband employment starting in Jan 2014 (conditions of service to follow within a week or so), but we have yet to submit notice to the RN, we explained this. They then followed up with an email saying there was scope to negotiate date of entry.

Does anyone have any advice on when to submit notice?? And do you do this before visa granted or after?? Any advice is welcomed TIA

Hi and welcome,

We are just awaiting our visas being granted. Hubby put his notice in just before we applied for our visas. It is hard to wait until they are granted as some of them are coming through only valid for 5/6 months, which I guess is ok if you want to nip out on a validation/reccie trip, you then have 5yrs to move out, but not so great if you have notice to work.

Good luck with it all, and any questions ask away. :)

Hi and welcome to poms in oz, just to add to what Neenie has said, I put my notice in a year before my enlistment date because of my branch I was pretty sure I would not get early release and didn't want to be in a position where I had to ask the RAN if they could take me later, I took a risk and notice was in before COS arrived but paid off, when I got my visas in sept they were only valid till may so if u wait till visas are granted before u put ur notice in u will need early release or a very expensive holiday to fly out just to validate them. I have been out here since early Dec and it has been great, it's a very long and emotional roller coaster ride but well worth it. Any questions just give me a shout I will try and help where I can..Good luck:)

Does it really take ages for the RAN to respond to your EoI, or if you haven't heard from them are you to assume you are not what they are looking for? My hubby submitted his EoI in Oct12, but he hasn't heard anything yet. We are really hoping that its a backlog on their part after the recruitment drives.... Here's hoping! Lol

Does it really take ages for the RAN to respond to your EoI, or if you haven't heard from them are you to assume you are not what they are looking for? My hubby submitted his EoI in Oct12, but he hasn't heard anything yet. We are really hoping that its a backlog on their part after the recruitment drives.... Here's hoping! Lol

Have you chased it up? It does seem a long time, and they do let you know if you aren't what they are looking for. I would drop them an email.

He sent it all again, we are beginning to wonder if the email address is correct! It's the one on the RAN website for lateral transfers. There is an officer waiting to hear also, he submitted his EoI in Dec12. I think he is going to try and ring them to find out what the delay is, and following the answer there I think my hubby will try that route. It's just so frustrating!

He sent it all again, we are beginning to wonder if the email address is correct! It's the one on the RAN website for lateral transfers. There is an officer waiting to hear also, he submitted his EoI in Dec12. I think he is going to try and ring them to find out what the delay is, and following the answer there I think my hubby will try that route. It's just so frustrating!

I totally understand, you will get used to being frustrated through the process and also you need lots of patience! The address we sent to is the same thats on the RAN recruitment page, I am happy to pm it to you so you can check it, just dont think its something I should post publicly.

I dont know if RAN is same with summer leave but schools have only just gone back 2 weeks ago from their 6 weeks summer leave, they broke up 18th dec and went back about 8th Feb, so it may well just have been all caught up in summer/christmas leave.

Hang on in there, apparently its all worth it in the end!!!!

I totally understand, you will get used to being frustrated through the process and also you need lots of patience! The address we sent to is the same thats on the RAN recruitment page, I am happy to pm it to you so you can check it, just dont think its something I should post publicly.

I dont know if RAN is same with summer leave but schools have only just gone back 2 weeks ago from their 6 weeks summer leave, they broke up 18th dec and went back about 8th Feb, so it may well just have been all caught up in summer/christmas leave.

Hang on in there, apparently its all worth it in the end!!!!

thanks Neenie, I would appreciate that, even to put my hubby's mind at rest. X

Hi all, does anyone remember how long it took once you were medically cleared with the oz navy to receive cos

Thanks Deb

Hi our RAN meds were signed off on the 06 March and we got our COS on the 8th May. Hope that s and you dont have to wait too long :)

Hi thanks neenie that's a lot longer than we thought, were just told in the coming weeks. So we thought maybe 2 or 3 oh well more waiting. Thanks

To be fair, it maybe quicker. We were told the same, chased them up after 4wks, and it was in being signed, then they decided to change some of it! If everyone answered I dont think you would get 2 answers the same! Its the dreaded case of how long is a piece of string!

Hang on in there it will happen :)

Essentially they are inefficient and know absolutely nothing about how to recruit or how to run a recruitment process. They ignore you until you kick off and only then do they do something about it. Keep chasing and keep phoning (Tesco's phonecards are about 1p per minute to Australia if you aren't with either the Post Office or Sky for your phone line and thus get free calls there.)

My COS came through quite really, but i guess it depends on many factors. We are just waiting for a Case Officer now, hope it doesnt take to long, the house is meant to be getting packed up in 4 weeks.

Hi KJK88

It will be good to see if your Visa comes through quickly, I applied in August and still waiting for CO!!! I hope you get yours soon it will give the rest of us some hope!!

By the way has anyone got a direct number for Parramatta as i'm reaching the stage where I need to call them now!

Chris

Hi KJK88

It will be good to see if your Visa comes through quickly, I applied in August and still waiting for CO!!! I hope you get yours soon it will give the rest of us some hope!!

By the way has anyone got a direct number for Parramatta as i'm reaching the stage where I need to call them now!

Chris

Hi Chris,

I have some numbers I will pm them to you once my children are in bed. Hope you have better luck than I did though!

KJK88, Hope you hear soon as we applied 01/09 and like Chris still waiting for CO :(

Jen

Just wondering if anyone has any previous experience or info on pension from RN and tax when in Australia ?? Do we pay tax in UK and then again tax in Oz?? Any info would be great, just waiting on our CoS and wondering how my husbands pension will be affected when we transfer

TIA

Ian and J

Archived