transferring from R.N to R.A.N royal navy to royal australian navy

Guest guest25493

• Replies 1.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Thanks Neenie, one more quick one on a similar note, how did he go about making them "certified copies"? is it just a case of getting an officer or some such to stamp and sign it?

Hi Lee

Similar to a passport photo, just grab someone equal to CPO or above. They need to sign it beneath a line which states ' A true copy of the original' or something similar.

Hope this helps.

Cheers and yep it feels good to be able to say now I am definitely going.

Don't go till march next year but good to be ahead of the game to sort out everything here in the UK before going.

Good luck & see you out there.

That's good u have ur visas it must be such a relief to know that everything is sorted and u have til march for everything else, we are due to join in jan and just been for medicals on tues so fingers crossed we will get our visas in 4 weeksor so, time seems to run away, i leave the navy in dec so hope everything starts falling into place soon

Ruby

Hi Neenie medicals went well and relatively painless we went to Manchester for them as it was alot cheaper than Edinburgh £260 each for Donna and I £190 for our 14yr old and about £80 each for the little ones. It feels good that it's all done and dusted, now it's a waiting game for visas, it's good to see other people getting there visas on here and I'm sure we will all be out there soon enough.

Ruby

Hi Jen U must be so excited I wish we were going in Aug this weather is depressing, i just hope we get our visas soon it's so frustrating, i hope things get easier my wife only has so much hair she can pull out lol

Ruby

Guest jeffner1974
Hi Jen U must be so excited I wish we were going in Aug this weather is depressing, i just hope we get our visas soon it's so frustrating, i hope things get easier my wife only has so much hair she can pull out lol

Ruby

i'm looking forward to getting there just so i can get some sleep again lol! t

he worst and most frustrating bit for us has prob been trying to get things organised outside the RN. OH came out last year so had to go through GP for a lot of medical stuff that was a nightmare, things that would've been sorted in a day or two taking weeks instead. but it does all fall into place. and we seemed to be on the cusp of a lot of things changing so got hit with things paperwork that he wasn't expecting to get here.

but it's all sorted now and once pickfords go next thursday we can chill out for a bit and enjoy our last few weeks of the gorgeous summer that is surely going to start some time soon!

jen x

Ruby, jan will be here before you know it. and with xmas in the way that'll kill some time. The visa will be through soon i'm sure and then it'll be all go. where are you heading to?

Hi Neenie medicals went well and relatively painless we went to Manchester for them as it was alot cheaper than Edinburgh £260 each for Donna and I £190 for our 14yr old and about £80 each for the little ones. It feels good that it's all done and dusted, now it's a waiting game for visas, it's good to see other people getting there visas on here and I'm sure we will all be out there soon enough.

Ruby

Thanks for that Ruby, Did you travel all that way in a day? We will probably stick to Edinburgh as couldnt do the trip in a day with 2 littleys and to add hotel and fuel wouldnt work out cheaper :)

Thanks for that Ruby, Did you travel all that way in a day? We will probably stick to Edinburgh as couldnt do the trip in a day with 2 littleys and to add hotel and fuel wouldnt work out cheaper :)

Hi Neenie we travelled down on mon stayed with the mother in-law in Blackpool then went to Manchester tues morn and we took the girls to Legoland after our medicals which was really good then came home on the weds, I'm using a resettlement warrant to claim the fuel back so shouldn't of really cost anything, I'm sure Edinburgh will be a lot easier we just couldn't get hold of them at all even left messages for them and didn't get a reply which was a bit worrying, not long now till you start applying for everything the next year will be manic I can't believe I have 5 paydays left, so scary.

Ruby

Hi Neenie we travelled down on mon stayed with the mother in-law in Blackpool then went to Manchester tues morn and we took the girls to Legoland after our medicals which was really good then came home on the weds, I'm using a resettlement warrant to claim the fuel back so shouldn't of really cost anything, I'm sure Edinburgh will be a lot easier we just couldn't get hold of them at all even left messages for them and didn't get a reply which was a bit worrying, not long now till you start applying for everything the next year will be manic I can't believe I have 5 paydays left, so scary.

Ruby

I guess we will start hounding Edinburgh now then, thanks for the tip off though! 5 paydays that sounds crazy really, I am not looking forward to hubby putting notice in especially with losing sub pay that stinks to be honest. Really looking forward to getting the paperwork in and paid so we are at least a step cloeser, not that it makes any difference one step forward 2 back isnt it?

January will be here before you know it really, as will next August, I cant believe how quickly this year has gone so far the next 13 months will fly in, oh and still so much to do! Any news on your house? I keep telling hubby we will higher a winnebago for our last few weeks in UK as the thought of staying with his family feel me with dread (living in the airport is preferable LOL).

Fingers crossed you hear soon, I am guessing we will here the screams of joy from here, when you recieve your visas!:biggrin:

I guess we will start hounding Edinburgh now then, thanks for the tip off though! 5 paydays that sounds crazy really, I am not looking forward to hubby putting notice in especially with losing sub pay that stinks to be honest. Really looking forward to getting the paperwork in and paid so we are at least a step cloeser, not that it makes any difference one step forward 2 back isnt it?

January will be here before you know it really, as will next August, I cant believe how quickly this year has gone so far the next 13 months will fly in, oh and still so much to do! Any news on your house? I keep telling hubby we will higher a winnebago for our last few weeks in UK as the thought of staying with his family feel me with dread (living in the airport is preferable LOL).

Fingers crossed you hear soon, I am guessing we will here the screams of joy from here, when you recieve your visas!:biggrin:

Hi neenie house sold and they want in by 13 aug so will prob end up in Churchill in 3 weeks so there is every possibility u will hear the screams if we get our visas, I also feel ur pain about staying with family I have the mother inlaw to contend with in dec if all goes to plan, I think 3 weeks at the airport sounds a lot less painless lol. Once ur husband puts his notice in u will prob feel more like ur working towards something as you will be doing police checks and medicals and such although it is harder without sub pay and he will also lose submarine supplement pay and nuc pay I'm down at least £600 a month, just another reason to look forward to getting the hell out of the uk

Ruby

Hi neenie house sold and they want in by 13 aug so will prob end up in Churchill in 3 weeks so there is every possibility u will hear the screams if we get our visas, I also feel ur pain about staying with family I have the mother inlaw to contend with in dec if all goes to plan, I think 3 weeks at the airport sounds a lot less painless lol. Once ur husband puts his notice in u will prob feel more like ur working towards something as you will be doing police checks and medicals and such although it is harder without sub pay and he will also lose submarine supplement pay and nuc pay I'm down at least £600 a month, just another reason to look forward to getting the hell out of the uk

Ruby

Hi Ruby,

Fab news on your house, at least you will be ready for packers once they make a date to come, as you will only need to unpack essentials!?!

We knew he would loose about £600 once notice was in so have been putting a little extra away to help the situation! But you are right, hubby cant wait to get out of RN. Its crazy how you are treated, his draft is due to end Feb, but whats the betting they extend him on that bloody boat even with only 6 months left!

Really looking forward (if thats the right terminology) to putting visa paper work in, and completind police checks and meds as then its all up to immigration.

Once you are in Churchill, if you and the family fancy a cuppa give us a shout.

hello folks,

Well just an update where we are:

1. Australia gets bloody cold on a night time, the houses don't have central heating or double glazing so make sure you have warm pj's with you and plenty of hoodies. During the day gets to a pleasant 18c.

2, Australians whinge all the time how cold it is, well its is winter after all get over it. Another favourite whinge is the price of petrol were paying $1.20 a litre today.

3. There is going to be change to citizenship very shortly all the family will get it after 90 days which is good news.

4. Everything seems expensive when you first get here and you seem to be shelling out all the time but it does get better when you start earning dollars. There isn't asda or tescos here so dont expect one but we do have dawn french advertising coles.

5. Since i have been here i have watched more TV than I ever did in the UK because the kids are out side playing instead of being indoors and i can get my hands on the remote. but saying that if you like your soaps it will cost you $100 a month to get foxtel, we don't bother.

6. Make sure your wife and children are up to date with dental etc because there is a 2 month waiting period on the health insurance before you get treated. For you to receive family benefits all children must be immunised, ours need a couple of boosters but theres no charge for this.

7. if you want to fit in real quick remember to use no worries, no dramas or too easy all the time.

All in all we have settled in really well, Nic gets homesick on the odd occassions but thats to be expected when the rest of family is back in the UK. If any of you want know anything specific give us a shout or drop us a PM for those coming out August enjoy the rainy summer and look forward to the long hot summer thats coming your way.

anyway this has been too easy

Hi Gav

Do you have any more info about when the change to the citizenship rules for the family are going to happen? Is it something you've been told or do you have a link to the information available? Do you know what date the change is going to take place?

I've done a google search and can't seem to come up with anything.

Many thanks

Carolyn

Hi Gav

Do you have any more info about when the change to the citizenship rules for the family are going to happen? Is it something you've been told or do you have a link to the information available? Do you know what date the change is going to take place?

I've done a google search and can't seem to come up with anything.

Many thanks

Carolyn

Hi Carolyn. It's just a waiting game I'm afraid. If I can remember it has passed two bills in the house of what ever one it is,it's now got one more bill to pass. We might have to a few weeks though as they are all on there holidays . It won't be long though. I have waited nearly four years so it won't matter for me but great news for others :)

Guest gavnicjacflo
Does anyone know if it is possible to get a TFN (Tax File Number) before leaving the UK?

you have to be country ten days before you can get TRN and Medi care, TRN done online and Medicare you pop in the office in the rockingham centre.

i'm looking forward to getting there just so i can get some sleep again lol! t

he worst and most frustrating bit for us has prob been trying to get things organised outside the RN. OH came out last year so had to go through GP for a lot of medical stuff that was a nightmare, things that would've been sorted in a day or two taking weeks instead. but it does all fall into place. and we seemed to be on the cusp of a lot of things changing so got hit with things paperwork that he wasn't expecting to get here.

but it's all sorted now and once pickfords go next thursday we can chill out for a bit and enjoy our last few weeks of the gorgeous summer that is surely going to start some time soon!

jen x

Ruby, jan will be here before you know it. and with xmas in the way that'll kill some time. The visa will be through soon i'm sure and then it'll be all go. where are you heading to?

Hi Jen not long now u must be so excited I wish we were leavening with u, where are you going? Perth or some were else if ur of to Perth where abouts are you going I have no idea what the quarters are like and would love to have a look on google if I had a street name, still waiting on visas it's so nerve racking it's been nearly 3 weeks since our medicals and I know we could be waiting several more weeks fingers crossed it won't be to long, but good luck and have a safe trip to ur new home in Aus, let us know how u get on

Ruby

Guest jeffner1974
Hi Jen not long now u must be so excited I wish we were leavening with u, where are you going? Perth or some were else if ur of to Perth where abouts are you going I have no idea what the quarters are like and would love to have a look on google if I had a street name, still waiting on visas it's so nerve racking it's been nearly 3 weeks since our medicals and I know we could be waiting several more weeks fingers crossed it won't be to long, but good luck and have a safe trip to ur new home in Aus, let us know how u get on

Ruby

Hi Ruby,

Getting real now. it's less than 3 weeks till we leave. All our stuff went in the container a week past thursday and the novelty of the airbed is wearing thin!! just trying to get the house freshened up for our tennants.

We are heading to Perth. We've secured a house in Shoalwater. prior to that we were offered Baldivis, Secret Harbour and Port Kennedy. i'd rather not post the street names on here but that's the kind of areas that you could expect to get offered.(you won't get to see any houses till nearer the time, when you get yourPMKeys number though) All the houses we saw looked nice though.

it really does come round fast though. and i'm sure your visa's not far away. I'll try and get on here once we arrive and give an update.

I'm so looking forward to it now, though not the overnight flight with our hyper 2 year old who doesn't seem to cope with change very well!! ooppps! apologies now to anyone on here that will be sharing the same flight as us!!

jen x

Ruby

Hi Ruby

Just thought I'd offer some support I'm at the exact same point as you just waiting for Visas to get accepted and our medicals were received about a month ago! Life feels like it is in limbo at the moment cant make any plans and just checking emails everyday and like you say it is so nerve racking! We have an enlistment date of Jan 2013 so lets hope we hear something soon! I emailed Wendy Hughes to ask for some advice and she said wait until beginning of August as the Immigration department are having a go slow period in July while they upgrade their IT system and are sorting through some teething problems!

Sarah

• 2 weeks later...
Hi Ruby

Just thought I'd offer some support I'm at the exact same point as you just waiting for Visas to get accepted and our medicals were received about a month ago! Life feels like it is in limbo at the moment cant make any plans and just checking emails everyday and like you say it is so nerve racking! We have an enlistment date of Jan 2013 so lets hope we hear something soon! I emailed Wendy Hughes to ask for some advice and she said wait until beginning of August as the Immigration department are having a go slow period in July while they upgrade their IT system and are sorting through some teething problems!

Sarah

Dont worry to much about your visa's we did'nt get ours untill 4 weeks b4 we flew out here.. We waited about 5 month's for them ....

Hi all

Hubby is transferring across hopefully Jan 2013. We have COS, medicals and visa sorted. However, currently struggling with RN about release dates. Did anyone else have a problem? If so, any advice via here or PM would be much appreciated.

Thanks

Carolyn

Hi All,

As I think i'm one of the first to apply for the new 186 Visa I thought i'd let anyone about to do it that the actual cost (not including medicals etc) is about £2130, I applied online last week, which seemed surprisingly easy, and the payment came out yesterday. Not heard back yet but I believe there is a backlog from June/July, could take a while. It would be good to hear if anyone else has applied for this Visa yet, it all seemed fairly straight forward but i'm expecting a long list of pick-ups and requests for more info.

Exciting Times

Chris

Hi Chris,

We are just waiting for my passport to come back and will be applying for the visa, Thanks for putting a rough cost. I just want to get on with it now, but am so used to the waiting! Its the one thing you learn when applying to RAN is patience, I will be so good at waiting patiently by the time we get there lol.

Good Luck hope they dont pick too many things up for you and its not too long a wait.

Neenie

Hi All,

As I think i'm one of the first to apply for the new 186 Visa I thought i'd let anyone about to do it that the actual cost (not including medicals etc) is about £2130, I applied online last week, which seemed surprisingly easy, and the payment came out yesterday. Not heard back yet but I believe there is a backlog from June/July, could take a while. It would be good to hear if anyone else has applied for this Visa yet, it all seemed fairly straight forward but i'm expecting a long list of pick-ups and requests for more info.

Exciting Times

Chris

Archived