transferring from R.N to R.A.N royal navy to royal australian navy

Guest guest25493

evening,

hi ruby1, did you hear anything yet? has your application arrived? i'm sure it'll all be worth it.

how is everyone else getting on? Gav and Nic you must be like proper natives now :o) how's it all going?

Things are speeding up for us now. 7 weeks till enlistment day, pickfords coming in 3!!! OH finishing work on thursday so it's all happening now.

Things are pretty stress free to be honest (that's coming from a major stresshead!!) it all seems to be falling into place.Everyone has been really helpful, no question too stoopid (and i've probably asked some crackers) we'll see if i'm still saying this a week before pickfords arrive and my house is upside down!!

hope everyone elses plans are coming along

jen x

Hi Jen you must be so excited,not long now I wish we were going in 7 weeks. Parcel force said they delivered my visa application on Friday but we have not had confirmation from immigration so we are going phone tonight to see if they have it, this has to be the most stressful time we are still trying to sell our house, so we are pulling our hair out hopefully we will be going for medicals in the next couple of weeks then that will be one less thing to worry about, how long did it take for you from sending in your visa and them being granted?. We only have 6 months left till we are due to enlist so we will be cutting it fine.

• Replies 1.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Guest jeffner1974

Hi Ruby1,

Our visa was lodged 21st dec last year and was granted at the middle of feb. bear in mind the xmas holidays and that we had about a month when our co was on holiday and they were waiting for extra paperwork from us so it really wasn't long.

(we were originally meant to be going in march but defered it as it was getting too tight for time)

another way to check if it's arrived with DIAC is check your bank account, they were not slow in taking the money! hopefully you'll hear something soon.

do you know that you can get your medicals done just now? we had ours done a month before our app was lodged.

what i would say is , get clearing out and cleaning now cause the time comes round so fast

good luck. let us know how you get on

jen

Hi Jen you must be so excited,not long now I wish we were going in 7 weeks. Parcel force said they delivered my visa application on Friday but we have not had confirmation from immigration so we are going phone tonight to see if they have it, this has to be the most stressful time we are still trying to sell our house, so we are pulling our hair out hopefully we will be going for medicals in the next couple of weeks then that will be one less thing to worry about, how long did it take for you from sending in your visa and them being granted?. We only have 6 months left till we are due to enlist so we will be cutting it fine.

Hi dont worry at all, our visa's did not turn up untill 6 weeks before we flew here, and then one of them was wrong. They sorted it out with in hours.

Good luck

Anita

We've used both parcelsplease and collectmyparcel.com (discount online brokers recommended by moneysavingexpert.com) and both of them have been reliable, excellent value for money, and half the price of Parcel Force. One sent our parcel by DHL and the other by UPS and collection and delivery were on time, as stated and we tracked both parcels every step of the way to the RAN office. Worth a try if anyone needs to send applications to the RAN.

Hiya

If you have your TRN number you can check the progress of your application online on the DIAC website. I can't remember the link but I google DIAC online application status check and it is the first one to come up.

Hope this helps.

Good luck!

Hi Goldie unfortunately I do have to drop to killick which is a bit annoying as I feel I will have dropped 2 rates as was due to pick chiefs up on 1st of dec, so in jan I will be a LH in Aus instead of a chief in the RN but such is life I would rather be out there as a LH than stuck in the UK as a Chief, I will just have to pull my finger out when I'm there ( visas depending )

Hi all,

The Info for the new Visa (186) is now on the DIAC website. As well as the cost going up by $1000(Brilliant!!!) it looks like there could be more changes than expected.

I've not had chance to have a proper look yet, but on the check-list it asks for a CV and asks if your skills have been assessed. I'm hoping having the LA and the COS will cover most of what is needed. It also seems to be an online only application, but that might make things simpler.

Has anyone else had a look yet, I would be interested to get someone elses view on it. Had an Email from the Aus Navy last week assuring me it was only a name change!!!!

Is anybody about to send off their application? I'm not sending ours until August, I don't want to be first to tackle the new Visa!!!!

Chris

Hi all,

The Info for the new Visa (186) is now on the DIAC website. As well as the cost going up by $1000(Brilliant!!!) it looks like there could be more changes than expected.

I've not had chance to have a proper look yet, but on the check-list it asks for a CV and asks if your skills have been assessed. I'm hoping having the LA and the COS will cover most of what is needed. It also seems to be an online only application, but that might make things simpler.

Has anyone else had a look yet, I would be interested to get someone elses view on it. Had an Email from the Aus Navy last week assuring me it was only a name change!!!!

Is anybody about to send off their application? I'm not sending ours until August, I don't want to be first to tackle the new Visa!!!!

Chris

Hi Chris

I have had a look at this and it looks to me as though you have to provide a skills assessment as well as your CV and certified copies of all your documents. The skills assessment has to be done by one of their official bodies (eg VETASSESS) and you are looking in the region of $550 to have it done (they make a fortune out of skills assessments). It can also take anything from 1 - 12 months to get the skills assessments done, depending on which professional body you go to. Every occupation is allocated to a specific body which will look at their qualifications and experience and then compare it to the equivalent in Australia. Have a look on the pages for going as a skilled independent and you will find all the information on skills assessment. We went through it and it's a pain in the whatsit!

However, I would assume that the RAN will refund the cost for you. If I were you, I would be inclined to get myself a Migration Agent, checking of course that they have some experience of Labour Agreement transfers. I think it will save a whole lot of pain, and may possibly be cheaper by the time you have had all your documents certified by a solicitor. On a variety of boards there are comments on Migration Agents but two who seem to have particularly good reports are Go Matilda and Ian Harrop (now called Overseas Emigration).

If you want any more info, feel free to PM me and happy to talk. Hope this helps!

Carolyn

I would ask on here first if ayone else has used a migration agents. I think the fact that ur joinig the RAN and they do it all for you, you woul'nt need one. I myself would not spend all that money. We looked into one before we came here nearly 4 years ago. We decided it was not worth it at all, all they wanted was our money and as we found out half of what they told us was not true..

Im not trying to put anyone down Im just saying I would ask on this site if anyone has used one thats joining the RAN

Anita

Yes we are currently using one, and have been since before the RAN made an offer (we were coming over anyway). The agent has been absolutely excellent and have saved us a lot of time and effort. With the new system and the new requirements for applicants via a Labour Agreement, I think (provided you select one who has experience of dealing with Labour Agreements and is up to date with the latest requirements), that they are a good idea. However, it has to be admitted, it is not entirely clear from the information provided on the DIAC website, what is required in terms of Skills Assessments etc. Previously, for a 120, we would have had no hesitation in applying for it ourselves, but with the new system and 186 visa, if we had not already had an application in progress, I am not quite so sure.

After further investigation and reading all the info it seems a little simpler than I thought. There are 3 options when you apply for a 186 Visa; the direct option, a regional option or the Labour Agreement option. Going down the LA route bypasses the Skill Assessment part of the application, the RAN have already carried this out as part of the application process and had to prove to DIAC that they have carried this out as part of the LA approval process. Hopefully apart from one or two other changes and a price increase there won't be any other nasty surprises. Also its all now done online, all forms are sent as attachments which should make the whole process easier. I'm hoping so anyway!!!!

Hi I was just wondering how u managed to do the medicals without the trn number that u get once ur application is lodged?we have been told we can't do ours till we have it our application has been lodged but there is back log with it being the subclass 120

Guest jeffner1974
Hi I was just wondering how u managed to do the medicals without the trn number that u get once ur application is lodged?we have been told we can't do ours till we have it our application has been lodged but there is back log with it being the subclass 120

Hi ruby,

not sure if this has changed as well as the visa application but when we went for our medicals last november they (spire shawfeild, edinburgh) they sent the results straight to Parramatta. we hadn't sent off our visa app by then. they just kept it and tied it in with the app when they recieved it. give your nearest medical clinic a phone and they should clarify this

HTH x

Hi Chris,

It all seems so confusing (maybe my baby brain!) I cant seem to find the definate cost, lots of instalments and a nomination application charge am I looking in the right place? Would you be so kind to clarify the cost of the visa as you have worked it out please? We are planning to apply end of August also as have date for August next year so want meds and police checks to be in date.

Many thanks

Neenie

Guest goldie
Hey Ruby, are you dropping back to killick when you go out there?

@Goldie, MCDO on vig? left veng gold start of this year?

Yes thats me mate.. I have been trying to get up to see you but the BMP hasn't been very kind, surprise surprise..

I am hoping to get a chance shortly..

Well the visa did not take so long after all. One month after medicals. It is valid for 12 months from police checks certificate.

Top tip though - check all the wording. The first visa had someone else's name above my address on the first page. This was corrected within a day.

Counting down to last day at work resettlement/terminal leave then TX date.

Just need to apply for waiver from reserve liability now and start thinking about accommodation arrangements.

Think the whole process has taken around 18 months and cast me a total of £2500. (to be claimed back)

Happy days..

Well the visa did not take so long after all. One month after medicals. It is valid for 12 months from police checks certificate.

Top tip though - check all the wording. The first visa had someone else's name above my address on the first page. This was corrected within a day.

Just need to apply for waiver from reserve liability now and start thinking about accommodation arrangements.

Think the whole process has taken around 18 months and cast me a total of £2500. (to be claimed back)

Happy days..

Congratulations!!! Another tip is to check your vaccinations with the scablifters - it was only during my release medical (when I asked) that it was found I was out of date for Yellow Fever and Hepatitis, having to go back in on terminal leave to get them sorted.

Hi Neenie,

I've had a good look at the new prices and I think i'm happy with it all!!

The Visa Cost is now $3060, thats the first and only instalment you will pay as long as you have functional English!! The nomination fee is the fee that the employers pays to nominate you for the LA. Medical fees are additional and vary from place to place but I have worked out for me about £1000 (2 adults, 3 kids) police checks are a little more on top. So in total I have budgeted for just over £3000 for the lot. Hope that helps.

Chris

Guest jeffner1974

Happy days..

Congratulations on your visa!! it's a great feeling isn't it? when are you due to go?

5 weeks on thursday for us now. pickfords coming next tuesday!! but it's all falling into place now. good luck with the next steps

Hi Neenie,

I've had a good look at the new prices and I think i'm happy with it all!!

The Visa Cost is now $3060, thats the first and only instalment you will pay as long as you have functional English!! The nomination fee is the fee that the employers pays to nominate you for the LA. Medical fees are additional and vary from place to place but I have worked out for me about £1000 (2 adults, 3 kids) police checks are a little more on top. So in total I have budgeted for just over £3000 for the lot. Hope that helps.

Chris

Hi Chris we are just away for medical today at Manchester and will cost us £870 for two adults one 14yr old and two younger kids.

and British passport holders are exempt from the English test which is one less worry just glad we managed to get in under the subclass 120, join jan13 just hope visas come through soon after medicals so we can get sorted

Ruby

Guest gavnicjacflo

hello folks,

Well just an update where we are:

1. Australia gets bloody cold on a night time, the houses don't have central heating or double glazing so make sure you have warm pj's with you and plenty of hoodies. During the day gets to a pleasant 18c.

2, Australians whinge all the time how cold it is, well its is winter after all get over it. Another favourite whinge is the price of petrol were paying $1.20 a litre today.

3. There is going to be change to citizenship very shortly all the family will get it after 90 days which is good news.

4. Everything seems expensive when you first get here and you seem to be shelling out all the time but it does get better when you start earning dollars. There isn't asda or tescos here so dont expect one but we do have dawn french advertising coles.

5. Since i have been here i have watched more TV than I ever did in the UK because the kids are out side playing instead of being indoors and i can get my hands on the remote. but saying that if you like your soaps it will cost you $100 a month to get foxtel, we don't bother.

6. Make sure your wife and children are up to date with dental etc because there is a 2 month waiting period on the health insurance before you get treated. For you to receive family benefits all children must be immunised, ours need a couple of boosters but theres no charge for this.

7. if you want to fit in real quick remember to use no worries, no dramas or too easy all the time.

All in all we have settled in really well, Nic gets homesick on the odd occassions but thats to be expected when the rest of family is back in the UK. If any of you want know anything specific give us a shout or drop us a PM for those coming out August enjoy the rainy summer and look forward to the long hot summer thats coming your way.

anyway this has been too easy

Congratulations on your visa!! it's a great feeling isn't it? when are you due to go?

5 weeks on thursday for us now. pickfords coming next tuesday!! but it's all falling into place now. good luck with the next steps

Cheers and yep it feels good to be able to say now I am definitely going.

Don't go till march next year but good to be ahead of the game to sort out everything here in the UK before going.

Good luck & see you out there.

Congrats on the Visa frontstunt!

Cheers for that Chris, thats what I worked it out as Meds are £800 give or take for 2 adults and 2 children then the police checks. but all I could see was numbers and payments hahaha.

Tiff lee, yes thats what Hubby sent GCSE's and up till now.

Good luck Jen, I expect you to teach me all the ropes when we get there, you have a year lol (very envious of the summer you have coming!) Also Good luck to anyone else going August.

Hope you hear about your Visa soon Ruby

Archived