transferring from R.N to R.A.N royal navy to royal australian navy

Guest guest25493

royal plaza hotel two cups of tea £14.80:cry:

I hope it was a decent size cup and tasted good!

We have our date of August next year also so planning on starting visa application end of the year is that leaving plenty of time?

Also, to those of you who have already made the move I have a question for you.

What would you do diffrently re the move/travelling, what would you take that you didnt and what would you leave that you took? Opps sorry 3 questions in one!

Ruby thats great news, they offered us that date too but Hubby couldnt get out of the 12 months notice to leave that soon

• Replies 1.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Guest gavnicjacflo
I hope it was a decent size cup and tasted good!

We have our date of August next year also so planning on starting visa application end of the year is that leaving plenty of time?

Also, to those of you who have already made the move I have a question for you.

What would you do diffrently re the move/travelling, what would you take that you didnt and what would you leave that you took? Opps sorry 3 questions in one!

Ruby thats great news, they offered us that date too but Hubby couldnt get out of the 12 months notice to leave that soon

Wouldnt pay it but on the plus side when out for a great chinese and only cost us £17 for a family of four. What Portmans have organised has been really good so far things have gone like clock work and 3 days of travelling the family the RAN has given us over £650 and we still have to claim back for petrol underground extra.

Our visa process took 4 months from start to finish including police checks and medicals

Wouldnt pay it but on the plus side when out for a great chinese and only cost us £17 for a family of four. What Portmans have organised has been really good so far things have gone like clock work and 3 days of travelling the family the RAN has given us over £650 and we still have to claim back for petrol underground extra.

Our visa process took 4 months from start to finish including police checks and medicals

Thank you.

Guest jeffner1974
royal plaza hotel two cups of tea £14.80:cry:

I'd give up tea or you'll be skint by the time you get to Oz ;o)

Just been told we are to move out in July 2013 in Sydney (medical and visas permitting!), looking at the DHA areas which is best to go for- or are we able to go for alternatives? From what I can see the choices are glenbrook, liverpool, richmond or sydney centre. Suggestions would be gratefully received for a family of two young children (9 and 6)!!!

Just been told we are to move out in July 2013 in Sydney (medical and visas permitting!), looking at the DHA areas which is best to go for- or are we able to go for alternatives? From what I can see the choices are glenbrook, liverpool, richmond or sydney centre. Suggestions would be gratefully received for a family of two young children (9 and 6)!!!

There are a lot more areas than tha. I dont know anyone that lives in any of thoses places. You have Manly, nothern beaches,Dundas,

,,carlingford. and also the sutherland shire, lovely place lol, I live there so I will say that. Look all these places up. Only you can decide where u would like to live.

PM message me if you like, I can tel you loads more.

Anita :biggrin:

Congratulations to everyone that have got their TOS's & dates for coming to Australia :smile:

Gav and Nic - hope you had a good journey over - are you here yet? Looking forward to finally meeting you all, give us a ring anytime :biggrin:

Liz & Steve x

Finally received Labour Agreement last week. :biggrin:

This had been issued by the DIAC October last year but only reached me last week.

So I have been advised to apply for residency visa sub class 120 using DIAC form 47ES.

What is the order for the forms, medicals, police checks, reserve waiver etc?

Also what are the DIAC like for keeping in contact and letting you know how the application is going?

Thanks in advance,

John.

Guest jeffner1974

This had been issued by the DIAC October last year but only reached me last week.

So I have been advised to apply for residency visa sub class 120 using DIAC form 47ES.

Also what are the DIAC like for keeping in contact and letting you know how the application is going?

Thanks in advance,

John.

Congratulations on getting your LA, another step closer.

If you goggle visa wizard it should take you to the right forms. It is a postal application, it's worth printing off, doing a dummy run and gather all the info you need. police checks and meds can be done before app is lodged but are only valid a year so dont do them too early.

you also need to fill in a form 80.

get plenty of passport pics done.

be prepared to constantly repeat yourself

reserve waiver - think thats one of the last things they ask for. OH has only recently been asked to do this, and should be just a formality

i'm sure all the links to the sites/info you need are on this thread (may take a bit of back reading, or someone might be along soon that can cut n paste bettter than me) .

any dealings we had with DIAC they got back to us fairly quick (other than our co going on holiday) they never gave us a timescale or anything but i think this type of visa gets processed fairly quickly (we were about 3months and that was with xmas and about a months hold up waiting for info)

jen

Guest gavnicjacflo

Thanks in advance,

John.

we sent the visa 47es form 80 and another one which I cant remember and our police checks off, we received an email to say they had the application, money went from account no email, medicals sent no email, next email from DIAC visa granted. Very little communication.

we sent the visa 47es form 80 and another one which I cant remember and our police checks off, we received an email to say they had the application, money went from account no email, medicals sent no email, next email from DIAC visa granted. Very little communication.

Thanks for the info above. When it comes to the medicals do you wait to be asked by the DIAC after you have sent them all the other stuff?

Guest gavnicjacflo
Thanks for the info above. When it comes to the medicals do you wait to be asked by the DIAC after you have sent them all the other stuff?

Having checked with Nic, we actually did our medicals before we sent our visa off

Well we have been here a week and really enjoying it, We watched the news tonight and the weatherman was disappointed that it didn't rain today made us laugh. We have moved into our DHA Rental and have our airfreight, the OAT will lend you futniture until your sea freight turns up, when our furniture turns up its going to look empty in our house. Make sure you print everything you think you need because internet connection has been hit and miss. Hopefully we will sort out a car this week, having looked around yes they are a little more expensive than the UK but not overly expensive. Only been into work once and they dont really seem interested that you have arrived, got my uniform, loads of it the only thing that is common to RN is cap. The children are loving the beach, parks and playing in the sea. Cheapest tea bags in the Coles this week tetleys!!!!!! and when your out you can get a decent cup of tea. So one week in we are really enjoying it.

I can't believe it! received COS email this morning so should get it in the post in the next few days hopefully, then starts the fun part of medicals, police checks and visas' ,from reading previous threads I'm guessing we can't really do anything till we get LA apart from maybe police checks, my enlistment date is the 10Jan13 does anyone know when we would be likely to be leaving the UK or is that the day we would fly out.

PS, Gav and Nic hope you had a good journey over and are getting settled, any advise from you would be most appreciated.

Guest jeffner1974
I can't believe it! received COS email this morning so should get it in the post in the next few days hopefully, then starts the fun part of medicals, police checks and visas' ,from reading previous threads I'm guessing we can't really do anything till we get LA apart from maybe police checks, my enlistment date is the 10Jan13 does anyone know when we would be likely to be leaving the UK or is that the day we would fly out.

PS, Gav and Nic hope you had a good journey over and are getting settled, any advise from you would be most appreciated.

hi, congratulations on your cos.

your enlistment date is the day you go to Australia house to sign on the dotted line and then you fly out straight after.I think (depending on location in the uk ) you will go to london the day before.

just start gathering all your info so that your visa app is ready to go once your LA comes through.

jen x

Hey Ruby,

Congrats on your COS, we are still waiting for ours but recieved LA last week!

Its great knowing we are one step closer isnt it. I spoke to visa dept at Australia house this morning, and they told me to lodge our visa application and I would then be told when to get police checks and medicals done by case officer.

However, we are going to wait until nearer the end of the year, as our enlistment date isnt until 22nd Aug '13.

I am sure the folks on here will have all the right answers with them having gone through it all already.

congrats again

Neenie

• 2 weeks later...
Guest jeffner1974

hi,

it's got awfy quiet on here, hope everyones plans are going well.

Gav, how are things down under? hope your all settling well. did you go to Disney Hongkong?

Just a wee note that may help those of you in the process of visa apps ect. OH now has to do a security clearance for RAN (visa approved, got COS, LA and reserve waiver sorted so this seems to be the next step) i've just been back to the lawyer to get more certificates certified (birth, marriage, driving license, passport, payslips x2, discharge proof certificate) so it's maybe worth while getting a couple of copies of everything done when doing it 1st time round for visa, save you a trip back when/if you have to do the SC

jen x

Hi Jen

Thats surprising news, as I've sent all that info with the visa application (nothing heard as yet), did you submit forms 80 and 1221 with your application?

regards

Paul

hi,

it's got awfy quiet on here, hope everyones plans are going well.

Gav, how are things down under? hope your all settling well. did you go to Disney Hongkong?

Just a wee note that may help those of you in the process of visa apps ect. OH now has to do a security clearance for RAN (visa approved, got COS, LA and reserve waiver sorted so this seems to be the next step) i've just been back to the lawyer to get more certificates certified (birth, marriage, driving license, passport, payslips x2, discharge proof certificate) so it's maybe worth while getting a couple of copies of everything done when doing it 1st time round for visa, save you a trip back when/if you have to do the SC

jen x

Guest jeffner1974

It was a wee surprise for us too, thought all the form filling was by with for now. i don't know if everyone has to do it or if it's job specific but i'm sure you'll find out at some point lol!

we done form 80's not sure about the 1221 doesn't sound familiar but we may have (sort of lost track now)

hope you hear about your visa soon

Hi All,

Long time reader, first time post. Been accepted to join Jan 2013, got labour agreement and currently completing visas. So excited though it still feels like we have a long way to go. Got a few questions ref visa - Do you know who you can use for certifying true all the documents? And is it worth completing the 80 and 1221 forms?

Also message for Anita and Dougie this is Sarah and Andy Waller we met at Senior Rates Ball we were with Duke and Julie Keene!

Thanks Sarah

Guest gavnicjacflo

Hello all,

well we have been here about a month now, starting to not feel like we are on holiday anymore. The flight over went well apart from if you have got little ones, our daughter is 3, it is quite difficult to see them in the pods in business class, not complaining though it was lovely and comfy and got to sleep on the way to Hong Kong, we flew with Cathay Pacific. Hong Kong was great, we would love to go back because we didn't really see that much of it, we did take the children to Disneyland which was good, it was funny chinese people kept taking photos of our daughter who is blonde, she thought she really was a little princess especially when she was dressed as Sleeping beauty. The hotel was fabulous in Hong Kong, great food, we stayed at the Royal Plaza.

We secured our house with the DHA before we left, which we are so glad we did, we only had to stay in temporary accommodation for 5 days. We stayed in the Rockingham beach apartments which were nice and clean and right opposite the beach. Liz and Steve kindly went to look at the house and surrounding the area for us, we would be happy to look at houses for anyone on their way over and send some photos. Most of the areas seem the same around here though we haven't seen anywhere that looks terrible. Our house is in Rockingham, it is 5min drive from the foreshore and it takes Gav about 15min to drive home. We have enrolled our son into school, luckily they had an open evening the week we arrived, so we popped along. He hasn't started yet though as they are on Easter hols.

The only issue we have really had is we didn't transfer any money over into our Australian account so have been using our English money and the exchange rate is not good so seems expensive. It's not too expensive though when you are getting paid by the dollar, you just need to shop around for things. Also it takes a while to claim back all the expenses, we haven't had ours back yet.

We would recommend bring as much of your stuff as you can, at the beginning you feel like you are always paying out for little things, that you had at home but didn't bring because they were old etc. We only had 9 boxes of air freight but we could have had 16, we wished we had packed some hangers most of our clothes are still in our suitcases and decent shampoo is quite expensive so if it is half price in Sainsbury's stock up. I also wish I had bought more summer clothes in UK, I haven't found any decent clothes shops yet. Things we put in air freight included dinner service, kettle, toaster, bedding, towels, clothes, toys, if you've got a decent cool bag bring it, most places have picnic areas and barbeques. We arranged a furniture pack with OAT before we left the UK, which has been ideal, included TV, beds, corner sofa, table and chairs, fridge/freezer, washing machine and dryer. We haven't used the dryer yet, it only takes an hour or so to dry on the line.Our freight arrives tomorrow and we can't wait, I feel like it's christmas eve.

If anyone has any questions feel free to ask, I will get Gav to write a post about the base and give a guy's perspective.

Hope all is going well Jen see you soon Nic

Hi All,

Long time reader, first time post. Been accepted to join Jan 2013, got labour agreement and currently completing visas. So excited though it still feels like we have a long way to go. Got a few questions ref visa - Do you know who you can use for certifying true all the documents? And is it worth completing the 80 and 1221 forms?

Also message for Anita and Dougie this is Sarah and Andy Waller we met at Senior Rates Ball we were with Duke and Julie Keene!

Thanks Sarah

Hi Sarah and Andy.

I dont look on here that often now, glad I read this one though.

Hope your both ok, I often think of that night at sultan it always makes me laugh. The marines where a bit boring though lol. it was a good night.

Do you know where they are posting you yet? I cant remember where ur brother lives Sarah, it was ur brother wasnt it. Private message me and let me kniw whats happening. Will give you loads of info that way

Take care speak soon

Anita and Dougie :biggrin:

Guest stevenstina

Well, after over a year of reading the posts on here I finally have two years left in the RN before my 22. I've sent off my expression of interest, CV, last two write-ups and Service History and had a response back saying they are looking through it at the moment. Now it's just a waiting game to hear what the next step is.

i would just like to pass on all my thanks to the people on here who constantly pass on such valuable information. Hopefully soon I will also be Ble to pass on information to new joiners.

Hello all,

well we have been here about a month now, starting to not feel like we are on holiday anymore. The flight over went well apart from if you have got little ones, our daughter is 3, it is quite difficult to see them in the pods in business class, not complaining though it was lovely and comfy and got to sleep on the way to Hong Kong, we flew with Cathay Pacific. Hong Kong was great, we would love to go back because we didn't really see that much of it, we did take the children to Disneyland which was good, it was funny chinese people kept taking photos of our daughter who is blonde, she thought she really was a little princess especially when she was dressed as Sleeping beauty. The hotel was fabulous in Hong Kong, great food, we stayed at the Royal Plaza.

We secured our house with the DHA before we left, which we are so glad we did, we only had to stay in temporary accommodation for 5 days. We stayed in the Rockingham beach apartments which were nice and clean and right opposite the beach. Liz and Steve kindly went to look at the house and surrounding the area for us, we would be happy to look at houses for anyone on their way over and send some photos. Most of the areas seem the same around here though we haven't seen anywhere that looks terrible. Our house is in Rockingham, it is 5min drive from the foreshore and it takes Gav about 15min to drive home. We have enrolled our son into school, luckily they had an open evening the week we arrived, so we popped along. He hasn't started yet though as they are on Easter hols.

The only issue we have really had is we didn't transfer any money over into our Australian account so have been using our English money and the exchange rate is not good so seems expensive. It's not too expensive though when you are getting paid by the dollar, you just need to shop around for things. Also it takes a while to claim back all the expenses, we haven't had ours back yet.

We would recommend bring as much of your stuff as you can, at the beginning you feel like you are always paying out for little things, that you had at home but didn't bring because they were old etc. We only had 9 boxes of air freight but we could have had 16, we wished we had packed some hangers most of our clothes are still in our suitcases and decent shampoo is quite expensive so if it is half price in Sainsbury's stock up. I also wish I had bought more summer clothes in UK, I haven't found any decent clothes shops yet. Things we put in air freight included dinner service, kettle, toaster, bedding, towels, clothes, toys, if you've got a decent cool bag bring it, most places have picnic areas and barbeques. We arranged a furniture pack with OAT before we left the UK, which has been ideal, included TV, beds, corner sofa, table and chairs, fridge/freezer, washing machine and dryer. We haven't used the dryer yet, it only takes an hour or so to dry on the line.Our freight arrives tomorrow and we can't wait, I feel like it's christmas eve.

If anyone has any questions feel free to ask, I will get Gav to write a post about the base and give a guy's perspective.

Hope all is going well Jen see you soon Nic

Thanks for the good advice we will stock up on shampoo and buy summer clothes at Xmas posted off my terms of service last week so hopefully hear back soon, sending off for police checks now then visas and medicals, we can't wait to get visas and medicals sorted and to join you in the sun, the weather has been horrible

Archived