transferring from R.N to R.A.N royal navy to royal australian navy

Guest guest25493

Hi Jen, we are just waiting for the visa's to come though. We had the medicals 2 weeks ago, so don't know how long it will be from now. We also have to get the new babies Visa done, once he or she is born, so waiting for an agent to contact us regarding, the best way to do that?

Like you said the drip feeding from the Oz navy is driving me crazy. Just feel like all we can do is wait.

We asked for Perth, but got given Sydney. I sure we will love Sydney, but the house prices put us off. We just hope they will transfer us to Perth, if we are not happy? Friends in the Oz Navy said this is possible? Have pickfords been out to see you?

How old are your children, bet they can not wait.

Emma x

Hi Emma did you get my message that I sent on ur home email.

If you need to know anything just let me know. Hope all is going well for you.

Take care and speak soon

Anita :biggrin:

• Replies 1.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Guest jeffner1974
Congratulations, shall we reserve you a seat on the plane !!!!

do you think we could turn it around in 4 weeks??? no thanks, going to take that long to come down off my visa induced high. it's just like the biggest weight ever has been lifted of my shoulders. so going to enjoy the next 6months getting organised (no doubt there will still be a mad dash at the end) and reading your updates so i know what to do next

jen x

do you think we could turn it around in 4 weeks??? no thanks, going to take that long to come down off my visa induced high. it's just like the biggest weight ever has been lifted of my shoulders. so going to enjoy the next 6months getting organised (no doubt there will still be a mad dash at the end) and reading your updates so i know what to do next

jen x

Congrats on getting ur visa, I dont blame u waiting another 6 months. We had 6 weeks to do it all in and it was hard work, with 3 teenage kids.

The time will fly by for u, summer in the UK and then it will be our spring when u get here. Enjoy ur time in the UK.

Anita :)

Guest Tony Heppenstall

Hi Anita, I did not get a message on my home e-mail? please can you send it again. I have e-mailed you my address.

Thanks, hope your all well.

Hi Anita, I did not get a message on my home e-mail? please can you send it again. I have e-mailed you my address.

Thanks, hope your all well.

Hi Tony I havew sent you a private message with my home email address. I cant

find yours any where. Hope everything is going to plan.

Take care and speak soon.

Anita :)

Guest jeffner1974
Hi Jen, we are just waiting for the visa's to come though. We had the medicals 2 weeks ago, so don't know how long it will be from now. We also have to get the new babies Visa done, once he or she is born, so waiting for an agent to contact us regarding, the best way to do that?

Like you said the drip feeding from the Oz navy is driving me crazy. Just feel like all we can do is wait.

We asked for Perth, but got given Sydney. I sure we will love Sydney, but the house prices put us off. We just hope they will transfer us to Perth, if we are not happy? Friends in the Oz Navy said this is possible? Have pickfords been out to see you?

How old are your children, bet they can not wait.

Emma x

HI Emma,

hopefully you'll hear something about your Visa soon (if you haven't already) it's such a relief when that comes through.

my kids are 6 and 2, the little one is none the wiser but my daughter is looking forward to it. we've been showing her loads of pics of swingparks, beaches and roos and it seems do be doing the trick lol

the weeks are certainly rolloing by now and august doesn't seem that far off. pickfords are coming to pack mid july. the house has to be done top-to-toe so it's ready for renting. the time will fly in!

i'm sure sydney will be great, it looks fab (to be fair i'd be happy going anywhere)

GavNicJaqFlo, how are you getting on? all ready? have you decided on disney land, hongkong? do you know how long you get there as a stopover?

hope things are going well for everyone

jen x

Guest gavnicjacflo

Hi Jen,

we are doing ok thankyou, we are busy at the minute doing up the house to rent out. We've got about 36 hours in Hong Kong, so will go to Disney Land for the day, let the children stretch their legs. Just seem to be waiting to go now, I'm sure it will be a mad rush at the end, trying to see family and friends. We have decided not to have a leaving party, too depressing. Hope you are all well, look forward to seeing you in six months Nic x

Guest bobandclaire

Hi everyone,

Been given an aspirational joining date of 08th May 2013 to join the RAN, wondering if anyone could answer a few questions please:

1. Regarding Tax issues and forces pension(Will have completed 22 years), what is the best option to take; UK tax or Aus tax?

2. Is there a limit to what Pickfords will take over to Oz and also will it make a difference that we are maybe moving from Italy and not UK?

3. Is there an option for private schooling as per UK forces?

Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

Bobby

Guest jeffner1974
Hi everyone,

Been given an aspirational joining date of 08th May 2013 to join the RAN, wondering if anyone could answer a few questions please:

1. Regarding Tax issues and forces pension(Will have completed 22 years), what is the best option to take; UK tax or Aus tax?

2. Is there a limit to what Pickfords will take over to Oz and also will it make a difference that we are maybe moving from Italy and not UK?

Thanks

Bobby

hi,

sorry i can't answer your tax question as i don't have a clue!

pickfords will take over a reasonable amount per per person in the house (unless your taking the mick like 2 adults in a fully furnished 5 bed house was how the guy put it to me) your stuff is surveyed and they'll tell you what your allowance is (sea and air freight) i'm sure if the RAN have accepted you and are moving you from italy then they'll have pickfords or similar to do the move for you.

i'm only just starting to look into schools but i believe that private schools in OZ are a lot more afforadable than over here (uk) but i don't think there are any allowances for forces children (i may be wrong and i'm sure someone will come along and correct me)

jen x

Hi everyone,

Thanks

Bobby

Hi there Bobby and Claire,

We have been in Waikiki, WA for 6 months and are enjoying life so far, as are the kids.

Regarding your pension - it's a minefield - we took financial advice for all our finances before we came over. We used a company called Montfort that have helped us quite a bit, it did cost us 600GBP but we feel they pointed things out that we weren't aware of. Must stress I am not advertising Montfort, merely saying we have been pleased with them - I am very sceptical about giving anyone money for advice but it seems to have paid off for us so far regarding tax & pensions.

We send our two older children to private school, we chose private as we felt they had a stricter and a more morally based structure. Again personal choice, we saw a few schools (private & government) and sent the kids to the one we all originally thought we'd like. We let the kids have a say in where they liked too. Also some of the schools only had places for one or the other of our children not both, this one had space for both of them. Although it's not as expensive as private school would have been back in the UK (we don't get any help from the RAN towards the fees) they do like to charge you for EVERYTHING, we had a surprise demand from the school, just before Christmas, that we purchase an iPad2 for the eldest (wasn't happy the school suddenly decided to make the parents buy them instead of them providing them as in previous year groups). Other than that we are very pleased with it. Our children settled in so quickly and have made loads of new friends, the school atmosphere seems friendly as well.

We decided to send our youngest to the local government primary school for Kindy and she's loving it. We wanted to be part of the community and get to know families whom live near us. Seems to going well so far and the curriculum seems quite challenging for a little Kindy girl.

Congrats on your TOS and good luck with all the things you have to do before you get here. If you want to ask anything else, feel free.

Liz & Steve

Guest bobandclaire

Liz and Steve,

Many thanks for the good advice, just about finishing off our visa paperwork and then start the waiting game!! We will be looking to move to WA eventually, been to Perth before and very impressed.

Thanks again.

Claire and Bobby

Hi,

I would appreciate any advice on recent visa applications/approvals. I submitted my application to the Parmetta visa office (I am using a visa agent) at the beginning of Nov 2011 and it still has not been granted! Is this normal? I am getting very frustrated with the waiting game...

Any info would be very much appreciated..........

Ian

Guest jeffner1974
Hi,

I would appreciate any advice on recent visa applications/approvals. I submitted my application to the Parmetta visa office (I am using a visa agent) at the beginning of Nov 2011 and it still has not been granted! Is this normal? I am getting very frustrated with the waiting game...

Any info would be very much appreciated..........

Ian

Hi Ian,

I'd get on to your agent if i were you. we lodged ours mid december and they were back to us looking for info the 1st week in jan. We got ours granted last week. (never used an agent)

Maybe worth chasing it up.

good luck

Jen x

Thanks for the response. I really dont know what is going on! I am in regular communication with Wendy Hughes, who was the one who alerted me to the visa issues, but the visa agent has come back saying they are currently processing applications from Aug 2011!! and that basically i will have to wait (which i feel i have done plenty of already)

Did your application go through the Parmatta office?

I will be calling the visa office myself tonight to get to the bottom of this issue.......

Ian

Hi everyone,

Congrats to all those who have had Visas granted and are moving very soon.

I have a couple of questions I was wondering if you could answer for me.

I have read every page and my understanding is that everyone has handed in the notice once they have recieved there TOS, is this correct? We have just recieved an email to say Hubby has passed all medical checks (hurray!). Has anyone waited until medicals complete or visas granted?

Ok question number 2 is because I am feeling a little jittery about hubby handing in notice which I am sure I have not been alone. Does anyone know of anyone who has been turned down at visa stage? (I dont know of any reason why they would turn us down) Hubby is more laid back than me I am the one panicking, about him not having a job!

Is there anyone else that recieved the email from Australia House about flights last week?

Thanks for your help

Neenie

Sorry 1 more question!

Please would someone post the address as to where you go to get visa medicals done.

Just realised in my last post i mentioned medicals being completed it is the visa medicals I meant, and could someone just outline what is they do at the medicals please.

Many Thanks

Neenie

Guest jeffner1974
Thanks for the response. I really dont know what is going on! I am in regular communication with Wendy Hughes, who was the one who alerted me to the visa issues, but the visa agent has come back saying they are currently processing applications from Aug 2011!! and that basically i will have to wait (which i feel i have done plenty of already)

Did your application go through the Parmatta office?

I will be calling the visa office myself tonight to get to the bottom of this issue.......

Ian

that sounds a bit off. i'd contact parramata myself if i was you. yes, that's where we sent our application. ours was also held up because our case officer was on holiday for a few weeks or we may have had it sooner. i think that gav (gavnicjaqflo) sent theirs in september(ish) time and got theirs granted just before christmas.

hope you get some answers tonight. the waiting about is a killer.

jenx

Guest jeffner1974

Hi Neenie,

not to sure about the notice question because my OH was time done by the time he got his TOS but i'd reckon that once you get that it's a safe bet to hand in notice (i do get how jittery you are though, i've got constant butterflies)

we got the email with the provisional flights on it, where are you heading too? when is your proposed enlistment date?

http://www.immi.gov.au/contacts/overseas/u/united-kingdom/panel-doctors.htm here is a link for the list of clinics that are approved for medicals, if it doesn't work you can google australian visa medicals it will give you the nearest clinic for you. up here in scotland the only one you can go to is in edinburgh. basically all they do is a urine test, an HIV test, check your eyes,ears, throat and a chest x-ray and charge a small fortune for it. it's pretty straight forward. kids over 5 have to do the urine test but not the blood test, or chest xray. kids under 5 they just get a wee check over.

hope that helps a wee bit

jen x

Hi Jen

We dont have an enlistment date LOL, so you can imagine my surprise and sheer panic at getting the flight email! We will be going to Perth.

Thanks for the Clinic link and for reassuring me about the children I have a 3 1/2 yr old and 7 week old! My 3 1/2 yr old will be pleased with a train trip to Edinburgh then.

Are you in Scotland to?

Thanks for your help

Neenie

Guest gavnicjacflo

Had an email today about enlistment day (woohoo) One of the things they mention is dress code : shirt and tie, all mine are in a container somewhere, wonder if I can claim the cost of a tieback as an expense!!! and the other thing is your family isnt allowed to attend the high commission whilst you sign on takes about one hour.

Guest jeffner1974
Hi Jen

We dont have an enlistment date LOL, so you can imagine my surprise and sheer panic at getting the flight email! We will be going to Perth.

Thanks for the Clinic link and for reassuring me about the children I have a 3 1/2 yr old and 7 week old! My 3 1/2 yr old will be pleased with a train trip to Edinburgh then.

Are you in Scotland to?

Thanks for your help

Neenie

Hi,

yes we're in Scotland, stay in Ayrshire. We made a day of it. went to the castle and down the royal mile ect. the staff were really good with the kids too. my 6 year old was worried about the urine sample and by the end of it thought it was a great laugh.

it all seems to fall into place (so far anyway and i am the biggest flapper ever)

well if your heading to perth and possibly in august. we'll see you there :biggrin:.

jen x

Guest jeffner1974
and the other thing is your family isnt allowed to attend the high commission whilst you sign on takes about one hour.

good news! extra shopping time!!:wink:

Archived