transferring from R.N to R.A.N royal navy to royal australian navy

Guest guest25493

Guest Guest31881
Hi all Happy New Year to everyone!Has anyone taken over a pet dog? Im in a complete dilemma, we have a very elderly Boxer (11 years old with epileptic seizure problems, a weak bladder and arthritis) which I would like to take with us, however Im concerned that the journey/quarantine would affect her greatly.The other concern is finding a suitable MQ which accepts pets in the Sydney area which isnt too far away from the Naval Base to commute, I hear that housing is difficult to find in Sydney as it is.Grateful for any opinions on this matter.RegardsPaul

Hi take a look at the threads by Petair,

http://www.pomsinoz.com/forum/shipping-pets-ask-pet-air/126688-pet-air-uk.html

You should post your question on there for an up to date answer, the rules are about to change or may have changed regarding rabies vaccinations. you should get all the info you need from there.

Also at the top of the page in the orange bar menu there is a direct link to Petair site, you do not have to use them, but they will have all the answers for you.

• 2 weeks later...
  • Replies 1.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Guest Tony Heppenstall

Hello I'm due to join the Aus navy in August 2012 as a POMT (Engineer) just wondering if anyone else is due to go over at this time?

Cheers tony

Guest gavnicjacflo
Hello I'm due to join the Aus navy in August 2012 as a POMT (Engineer) just wondering if anyone else is due to go over at this time?

Cheers tony

Welcome Tony,

I am hoping to go over in Mar 12 so I am sure our paths will cross POET.

Guest Tony Heppenstall

Not long to go for you then!! Are you all sorted now then all ready to go??

Where are you getting based east or west. I've been given Sydney but ideally want to get over to Perth.

What happen's with you when you first get there??

Cheers Tony

Guest gavnicjacflo

Tony,

The only thing we know for definite is that we will be going to Perth as I am a submariner. We got our visa just before Christmas and had a pre uplift survey by pickfords but that's about it. We are now waiting for the enlistment signal to be released. They seem to do everything at one speed, slow and like to keep you waiting until the last minute, remind you of any other organisation ?? If you've got any questions just give us a shout.

Not long to go for you then!! Are you all sorted now then all ready to go??

Where are you getting based east or west. I've been given Sydney but ideally want to get over to Perth.

What happen's with you when you first get there??

Cheers Tony

Hi Tony if there,s anything u need to knoiw b4 u get here just ask.

Doug and myself have been here 3 year hes a POET. We also live in Sydney, we wanted Perth when we got here, and very glad we got Sydney now. We love it here.

Good luck with the move and just shout if u need anything

Dougie and Anita :biggrin:

Guest Tony Heppenstall

Hi Dougie and Anita, glad your enjoying life in Sydney.

Where do you think the best area to live in is, as tony will be working at HMS Kattabul?

Do you live in a navy property or have you bought your own place?

The main reason we wanted perth was because of the house prices in Sydney how do you find it?

We have a 2 year old and another due in april, so we want to find a good area for the kids as well as tony getting to/from work.

Thanks for your help.

Emma and tony

happy new year to you all, haven't been on for ages and everyone seems to be progressing really well. Congrats to you all it's so exciting.

We have submitted app and oh med stuff got an email from Wendy hughes asking for a ECG which is apparently new requirement have now sent that and am now waitng TOS have been given prov date of Aug 2013.yay!! now just have to wait and wait and wait lol

I have a quick question with regard to the visa app, we,ve been looking on some websites about visa for oz and some of them have said you need to be taking a large sum of money per person. Has anybody else heard of this or could it be to do with a civvy visa??

It certainly doesn`t hurt to have as much money saved up as possible - when you get here you feel like you are contantly shelling out money, car, health insurance,school fees and books for kids etc. Australia can be expensive, especially when you first arrive until you suss out where to get the best bargains etc.

I think for some visa`s they do like to see that you have enough money to support yourself until a job is found, they don`t want you moving here and trying to claim from Centrelink (though Im not sure you can straight away anyway) or failing in the move due to a lack of funds for setting up. My mate is on a Regional visa and Im sure she said she had to provide proof of funds as part of her visa process.

Coming over as a lateral transfer you are in a better position than most as you have a job to come to and housing if you want it.:biggrin:

happy new year to you all, haven't been on for ages and everyone seems to be progressing really well. Congrats to you all it's so exciting.

We have submitted app and oh med stuff got an email from Wendy hughes asking for a ECG which is apparently new requirement have now sent that and am now waitng TOS have been given prov date of Aug 2013.yay!! now just have to wait and wait and wait lol

I have a quick question with regard to the visa app, we,ve been looking on some websites about visa for oz and some of them have said you need to be taking a large sum of money per person. Has anybody else heard of this or could it be to do with a civvy visa??

-Hi I dont think it matters how much money you have in ur bank, u are being sponserd by the navy, we where never asked about money. Like ErmintrudeMcMoo said u will end up spending a fair bit of money out for bits and bobs. My husband did,nt get paid for the 1st 5 weeks. :biggrin:

Hi

Thanks to Gavinjacflo and Ruby for replies, sorry not been on to check, but have been rather busy having a baby! We will look into getting ECG done privately, Ruby where did you get yours done please? I agree the process is long and painful but well worth it if you get to go.

Neenie

Hi

Thanks to Gavinjacflo and Ruby for replies, sorry not been on to check, but have been rather busy having a baby! We will look into getting ECG done privately, Ruby where did you get yours done please? I agree the process is long and painful but well worth it if you get to go.

Neenie

Hi Neenie

Congrats on having a baby I have three girl, hard work but couldn't be without them I had my ECG done at the sickbay in Faslane for free then took the print out to the vale of leven hospital for a cardiologist to report on it,they charged me a tenner my medical docs have past the general service medical now been assessed by the submarine medical department all my service docs and cert have been approved the last step is for the commander to assess everything and find me a position I have a provisional date of Jan 13 with my course starting in the June, it is difficult with all the waiting I put my notice in last week and I think the RN are going to make my life as difficult as possible telling me I could do every bit of sea time and that they don't need to let me off for courses the only thing guaranteed is they can't send me to sea if the boat is not likely to be back by the 3rd of jan, it all just makes me more determined that I'm doing the right thing leaving the RN regardless of getting into Aus, good luck in your application let me know how you get on.

Ruby

Hi Ruby

Thanks for the info, OH has been really annoyed with the whole changing of med requirements, and at one point he was saying not doing it so no Oz! But reading your reply he is all set to go into sickbay Monday (whilst on paternity leave!) to sort it out. so huge thank you again.

We now have a boy 3 1/2yrs and girl 10days old, so lots of sleepless nights at the moment! Guess its good practice for the wait to find out if we are offered TOS.

OH is also over 35 so can apply for waiver, OH has only ever done one run in the Tank is this the same for you, as one of the requirements is a record of doing the Tank runs. Was this the same for you, and were they happy with the theory of doing a tank run rather than doing it practically? Do you have more experience of the Tank? Sorry for all the questions,I just need to be able to tell OH whats going on with others, so he knows its not just us. We also have drafty breathing down OH neck not to go, so in a real dilemma.

Thanks again

Neenie

Guest gavnicjacflo

Neenie

I believe the Australian's allow five wet runs and then you dry run (the same way we use to do it when we did pressurised runs), the medicals are just a pain in the backside all worth it when you get your TOS. We have just received our passports back from the High Commission with our visa stickers in them. It only took 3 days !!!

Hi Ruby

Thanks for the info, OH has been really annoyed with the whole changing of med requirements, and at one point he was saying not doing it so no Oz! But reading your reply he is all set to go into sickbay Monday (whilst on paternity leave!) to sort it out. so huge thank you again.

We now have a boy 3 1/2yrs and girl 10days old, so lots of sleepless nights at the moment! Guess its good practice for the wait to find out if we are offered TOS.

OH is also over 35 so can apply for waiver, OH has only ever done one run in the Tank is this the same for you, as one of the requirements is a record of doing the Tank runs. Was this the same for you, and were they happy with the theory of doing a tank run rather than doing it practically? Do you have more experience of the Tank? Sorry for all the questions,I just need to be able to tell OH whats going on with others, so he knows its not just us. We also have drafty breathing down OH neck not to go, so in a real dilemma.

Thanks again

Neenie

Hi Neenie

I have only done one pressurised run in 1999 and a dry run in 2009 and booked on a dry run in jun they are recorded on JPA which I printed out and highlighted and sent across with my X-ray report which is all they asked for I tend to phone Wendy once a month just to help push things along and find out where my application is did your OH manage to get both X-rays done or just the one, and I'm sure you will agree drafty and th RN are only interested in one thing and that's filling billets, now I have my notice in I am getting stick aswell, there is nothing the RN could offer that would make me change my mind Wendy said that the West coast is the nicest part of Aus and that's where she goes on holiday and that's where we could all be living in the near future. if your local send me a personnel message maybe you and OH could pop round with the kids and talk about life down under

Guest jayp911

hi,

Im a 27 year old submariner currently serving on uk based submarines for the last 10 years. For sometime Iv been thinking about transferring to the R.A.N and would like any advice on how to start the ball rolling.

many thanks

Jay

Guest gavnicjacflo
hi, im currently wanting to transfer from the RN to the RAN and just wondered how I can get the ball rolling

Jayp

What branch are you, they are crying out for WE's and ME's, I aint sure on the other branches. The person you need to contact is Wendy Hughes (Lt Cdr)Her email is Wendy.Hughes@defence.gov.au. If they want your branch and rate she will send you the forms, the process takes about 18months to 2 years so you have to be patience and then some!!. If you got any other question dont be afraid to ask their is quite a few of us going through the process. I am Guzz based and ruby1 anf jeffner sunny Faslane.

Hi Neenie

I have only done one pressurised run in 1999 and a dry run in 2009 and booked on a dry run in jun they are recorded on JPA which I printed out and highlighted and sent across with my X-ray report which is all they asked for I tend to phone Wendy once a month just to help push things along and find out where my application is did your OH manage to get both X-rays done or just the one, and I'm sure you will agree drafty and th RN are only interested in one thing and that's filling billets, now I have my notice in I am getting stick aswell, there is nothing the RN could offer that would make me change my mind Wendy said that the West coast is the nicest part of Aus and that's where she goes on holiday and that's where we could all be living in the near future. if your local send me a personnel message maybe you and OH could pop round with the kids and talk about life down under

Hi and welcome. I just wanted to say I live on the other side of Australia in Sydney and its beautiful here, My husband got told he was getting Perth up until 2 months before we flew and then they changed it, we tried to get it changed but they wouldnt do it. . Hope it all works out for you we have been here 3 years this week and loving it. The life style we have is so different to what we had back in the UK. Good luck :)

Guest jeffner1974

morning,

how's it all going for everyone? Gavnicjacflo. whats happening with you now? i'm guessing you'll be kind of busy. here's hoping you can still find time to update us on the all the stages you go through to get to Oz.

we made a concious decision and got our date postponed till 17th sep now. march was coming round far to fast and not much else was happening. should have been august but due to the olympics there is no room at the inn, london will be chocka! give us plenty of time now (though i'm sure it'll still be a mad dash nearer the time).

jenx

Hi everyone,

Everything good here in WA. Had a huge storm Thursday night, it lasted 6+ hours and was constant thunder and lightening - AMAZING!! The weather is set to be 39/40C for the rest of this week - phew!

Hope all going well for you all.

Jen - don't blame you for feeling the time was running out, it's all a mad rush near end but like you say, don't think anyone ever feels completely ready. And then before you know it you live in Australia and you're thinking "how did that happen?" lol We're loving the lifestyle here, have made lots of new friends, kids have really settled well - no complaints or regrets so far.

Gav & Nic - doubt there's any worry of a submariner being posted to the East side at the last minute seeing as the submarine base is on Garden Island, WA. Hope your scrubbing of shoes is nearing completion and the packing goes well. See you soon.

Liz x

Guest gavnicjacflo

Hi all, sorry we haven't updated in a while, we are at the mad rush stage. We received our visa the day before Christmas eve but couldn't progress further because the whole of Oz seemed to shut down for a month. Gav had to receive the enlistment signal before flights could be booked etc. Well received the enlistment signal on Thursday then everything came at once, flights booked, Pickfords coming next week to pack up. We are flying with Cathay Pacific, via Hong Kong. We were hoping for Singapore but we've never been to HK so will be a new experience and the children are excited as we've promised a day in Disneyland, not really seeing the sights but they will need to let off some steam I am sure.

Hi Jen, I hope you are ok about postponing the date until Sept, it will probably still be a mad rush though. I will keep you updated and if you have any questions give us a shout.

Liz and Steve, must get back to the cleaning see you soon x

Guest jeffner1974

wow nic,

so excited for you, that's the way it goes though eh, nothing for weeks then bang! mad dash! sometimes it's better that way, no time to think about it.

did you not get a choice of stopovers? we were kind of hoping for singapore too but hong kong would be cool too! our neighbours are from hong kong so will need to get the insiders view of what to do. (though disney may just get on the itinary - not sure oh will agree though ;o))

feeling alright about the delay, it would have been great to have joined you in march, but our visa is still in limbo, they want more info from us but our CO AND his next line of contact are out of office till 30th jan!!!! so while it's alright to have a bit of a rush, it would have just have been a bit too mad lol! this way we can take our time with the shoe cleaning!

a spring/summer of car boot sales and painting ahead of us, and heading down under just in time for a proper summer!!!!

good luck with the next few weeks, would love to hear how your getting on.

has anyone else hoping to go out sept 12?

jenx

Hi Jen, I've just received my TOS today, but the aspirational date of joining is Aug 17th, I'll drop Wendy a line to see if it should be Sep.

regards

Paul

wow nic,

so excited for you, that's the way it goes though eh, nothing for weeks then bang! mad dash! sometimes it's better that way, no time to think about it.

did you not get a choice of stopovers? we were kind of hoping for singapore too but hong kong would be cool too! our neighbours are from hong kong so will need to get the insiders view of what to do. (though disney may just get on the itinary - not sure oh will agree though ;o))

feeling alright about the delay, it would have been great to have joined you in march, but our visa is still in limbo, they want more info from us but our CO AND his next line of contact are out of office till 30th jan!!!! so while it's alright to have a bit of a rush, it would have just have been a bit too mad lol! this way we can take our time with the shoe cleaning!

a spring/summer of car boot sales and painting ahead of us, and heading down under just in time for a proper summer!!!!

good luck with the next few weeks, would love to hear how your getting on.

has anyone else hoping to go out sept 12?

jenx

Archived