transferring from R.N to R.A.N royal navy to royal australian navy

Guest guest25493

Hi everyone, quick question regarding medicals, i received my TOS last Jan 08 for the RAN then in May was told my application was being cancelled as i had psoriasis(very mild small patch on back of my head, never affected my navy job here) and i wouldn't get throught the recruitment medical as it wasn't based on my in service medical with the RN.

The med i did was with the forms they sent over and i went to my sick bay for everything. Has anyone who has made the move had to do a recruitment med other than the ones you do before you go? Personally think i was palmed off as the Lt Cdr and chief on the team changed very quick as they had brought people in who weren't on the Labour Agreement. This was during the Labour agreement faf.

cheers

Drew

• Replies 1.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Hiya All.

I'm a pompey based Killick (33) and ive sent my CV off and also attended the presentation, held in pompey, by the aussie navy lads. Found it really interesting but getting nervous as to wether to go through with it.

Ive got another interview on wednesday, but looks like im gonna submit my application pack to get the ball rolling.

Ive got most of my family (dads side) out in Melbourne, which is lucky, as im comms, so i'll do most of my training at cerberus.

Would love to hear from anyone doing the same as me.

Meddy.

• 2 weeks later...

Hiya Guys.

Had the interview with Terry George and handed in all my last 5 years RORRS, they're crying out for Comms, so i would keep my Killicks. Just waiting for my pack to fill out.

Looks like i could be out there as soon as next October (2010) based in Sydney. so fingers crossed!

Congrats meddy

How was the interview?

Did you ask if there are complimentary wets included for your flight?:biglaugh:

Guest nev_n_angie

As for the Conplimentary Wets - if it's still the same as 2007 - it's Business Class, so YES!!!

Guest Marca

Hi people, I was looking for a bit of advice on my situation which would be greatly appreciated. I'm a 26 year - old chief ME submariner interested in joining the RAN. The vast majority of people making the move seem to be married with kids but I have recently split up with my fiancee who I was with for nine years. I'm looking for a new start and I was just wondering if anyone would reccommend making the move as a single? I realise it may be a bit difficult to begin with but I feel quite keen to pursue. Thanks in advance for any help / guidance.

Guest Marca
Hi Marca

You know what... you're probably are quite right about it being mainly married people who are jumping ship and wanting to move to oz! Although, I can't see it would be any more difficult for you to do the move on your own... different yes... but not difficult. You might feel a little on your own at first but the same could be said in any new drafting here, new people, new places etc. If you feel keen to pursue it... then perhaps you should...you're young, free and single...and the world, as they say, is your oyster! I guess it just depends on how you, personally, would feel being on your own so far away from your family. There's no harm in applying now... the process is a lengthy one... so it gives you plenty of time to think things through to make sure you would be doing it for the right reasons bearing in mind your recent split.

Keep us posted if you do decide to go for it...

Liz

Thank you for such a quick reply. I think I'll apply and see what happens, It will take me a couple of weeks to get my CV sorted so I'll do that and see how they respond. Hopefully there will be vacancies in my field and I can find out a little bit more info on the job and where I would be based. If it gets to that point then hopefully I can make an educated decision! Do you know any websites where I could find out a bit more information about making the move? My knowledge on the subject is pretty limited! Thanks again for the reply and I'll let you know how I get on.

Mark

Guest Marca
Hi Mark

Have you looked on the RAN website at all...

Here's the link just in case you haven't.. All you really need to do is send them an email saying you are interested and a bit about yourself at first, you know the kind of thing... how many years in RN... what trade and rank you are... and so on! My husband didn't send his c.v off until they requested it. The RAN are really good at responding so you never know if you send them an email tonight you might get a reply straight back!

Overseas Applicants | Defence Jobs

The submariners are based on the west coast... (Perth) HMAS Stirling. We are due out there in January 2010 although my husband isn't a submariner. Apparently it's a great place to be if you like the laid back lifestyle!

Liz

Hi Liz

Thanks for all the great info, I'll look into that right now. Perth sounds pretty good, who doesn't like a laid - back lifestyle! I'll send an e - mail off and I'll let you know how I get on when I get the reply. Thanks again.

Mark

Hiya Guys,

Just as a matter of thought, where are the married quarters if you are based in Sydney? Ive been on the DHA website, just to browse (havent got that pin code thingy yet!) and the houses up for sale are all down Sutherland way.

Cheers.

meddy.

Guest Impatient

Marca

if I was not married, I would have made the move years ago, but I stayed for the stability of pension etc. Hopefully now going next year. I say go for it, if you don't like it you can always come home, so just treat it like an overseas tour. If someone offered you a 3-year exchange, I bet you would bite their hands off, I know I would. Treat it like that, give yourself the freedom to leave at the end of 3 if you choose. Bet you stay forever though.

Not RN-specific, but their is a great thread on ARRSE about transferring. Army-centric, obviously, but good gen about the process.

Army Rumour Service > > Forums > > ARRSE International > > Australia > > Transferring to the Australian Army

Good luck

SB

Guest guest25493

Hi, you dont have patches like here in the U.K. The RAN have houses spread all over the place, privatly rented, all under 12 years old. When they get to 12 years they get rid. Once you get you pm Keys number (once visa has been sorted), you go onto the website and can browse houses and reserve one. Hope this helps

Lynette

Guest guest25493

Great thanks, are visa was recieved on the 9(th June, we were giving our officer today, and been told to ibook our medicals, so all systems go.

How about yourself? What area are you looking at to go? Well we are going to Sydney, ( 12 jan!!! Hooray). We have friends in Darlingford and Ermington, but I fancy the Shires. Have to wait and see. Once we get our number we can then browse. Not sure whether to go for a town house, a bungalow or what. You had any thoughts?

I have spoken to my friends over there, and they have given me a few tips, but they said they would go and check things out for me when i do start browsing.

Getting all excited now.

My hubby went to a cairvoyent last year and was told

You are going to be doing loads of paperwork, so mucjh paperwork it is as if you are signing your life away.

This year has been anightmare with work, but on New years eve, open a bottle of bubbly because 2009 will be a good year.

You are moving, far away, spending Dollars, Australian Dollars.

You are going to be living in ahouse with no stairs, like a bungalow, but much bigger, and you will have a house on its on, detached.

It was all so spooky, Martin always though stuff like that was cobblers and only went for a laugh, but came out shaking! lol

Well, take care

Lynette

Hi ericfish!

Have you completed all your stages yet? (Am I right in thinking you are going to the oz army?)

Liz

mornin' Liz, thats right, trying to transfer to oz army. Just waiting for the interview at the end of July, after that its the visas and the like (actually got most of it done already and waiting), aim is to be over there by early next year. Sent my initial email October last year, application pack completed end of November, mil medicals done over xmas and finalised end of Jan...and got the date for the interview at start of May, so just chewing away at fingernails now waiting.

eric :jimlad:

Guest Marca
Marca

if I was not married, I would have made the move years ago, but I stayed for the stability of pension etc. Hopefully now going next year. I say go for it, if you don't like it you can always come home, so just treat it like an overseas tour. If someone offered you a 3-year exchange, I bet you would bite their hands off, I know I would. Treat it like that, give yourself the freedom to leave at the end of 3 if you choose. Bet you stay forever though.

Not RN-specific, but their is a great thread on ARRSE about transferring. Army-centric, obviously, but good gen about the process.

Army Rumour Service > > Forums > > ARRSE International > > Australia > > Transferring to the Australian Army

Good luck

SB

Thanks for the link and advice, I recieved a reply from Oz with an application form and list of documentation required so I'm just getting all the documentation together at this moment in time. It's been a bit of a pain trying to organise everything, I never planned to leave previously so my personal admin was a bit disorganised to say the least! I'm definetely still looking to apply, so fingers crossed they have a job in my area!

• 1 month later...
Guest lonnie

Looks like loads of us are going in January we have our flight pre-booked for 11th of Jan and pickfords coming round to do the pre move survey in September. we are off to Melbourne way anyone else going that way?

Guest guest25493

have you had your visa yet lonnie. We have been told we fly the 12 th Jan, but we have not had any comms with pickfords etc yet.

Lynette... Have you been issued your visa yet? I think our case officer is on a go slow with ours, I haven't a clue what she's doing with it? My Hubby rang her to find out our status as we hadn't had any communication from her at all not even to tell us she was our case officer... (we managed to find that out from another department) anyway... she just confirmed that she had everything and that the meds had cleared and said she'd be in touch if she needed anything! I thought these visas were supposed to be fast tracked but their official line seems to be it can take 5 months! I honestly hope it doesn't take 5 months!

As for flight dates we've only been told it's 11/12/13 Jan!

Liz

Guest lonnie

Hi guys,

Yes we had our visas a couple of months ago it only took about 6 weeks we had the same snowy no contact was just about to send another e-mail checking on things and it was there in my e-mail inbox. A good thing to send is the form 80 as well as the 47ES it speeds things up. you then have to get it evidenced basically you forward a copy of the e-mail with your passports to Australia house and they put the visa in your passports (all free) really cool seeing it there in black and white "allow to reamain in Australia permenately".

As for dates we have the same 11/12/13th but when we informed the embassy of our visa approval we got sent an info pack and all the numbers are there to pre book flights and removals etc. The intend to enlist signal is due out in Late october so I have been told, so thats when that actual date will get confirmed but once you have your visa it is a good idea to pre book the flights as it is a busy time of year and they can always move the booking. I think you have my personal e-mail address drop me a line and I will give you my phone number so I can let you know what I have done etc.

cheers

! We've sent them our form 80's and on top of that we had to do another form about dependant children over the age of 18 (one of ours is 19) and sent loads of evidence to prove she is still financially dependant on us even though she is working! I hope we have sent enough and it goes through ok... if not... The RAN told us there wouldn't be a problem as she still lives 'under our roof' but I'm inclinded to think the DIAC doesn't really look at it like that! Liz

Hi Liz/Snowy....just starting the same visa chase for aus army...and have 18 yr old daughter too.......we have been told she gets PR as a dependent even tho she will be going to college/uni in aus or maybe here in uk...as long as she travels with us to validate her visa..........cos she is 'dependent' she gets same deal you do.

If she is on your 47ES she should get same deal, the form 80 is to prove she is dependent.

Might be different for navy but army are happy to take her as part of package with us.

Eric RM (very nearly ex-RM)

Guest guest25493

hi, we have got our medicals on Friday 7th Aug. We have had our xrays. congratulations on your visa, cannot wait for ours. We will email our immigration officer and say we have had thewm as she already has our 47es, seems to be no problems there, she is just waiting for medicals.We seny our form 80 with the 47es. Well take care, and snowy owl, let us know when your visa arrives :) take care all, Lynette

Guest guest25493

Little nervous about the meds, unsure what to expect really. We have a bottle of champagne ready for when our visa comes through. I know you have probably tols be before, but where are you going again?

Take care

Lynette

• 3 weeks later...
Guest guest25493

Any news on yor visa yet Liz? Immigration like to play their cards close to their chest dont they, lol. You email them with a read receipt, they read it and dont answer, not even a thank you. My hair is getting greying by the week, pmsl.

Waiting, waiting, and waiting.

:(

Guest guest25493

Did you have a form emailed to you from Terry, a new recruits form? asking for things like bank details? We had one last Thursday and sent it back on the Friday.

I cant believe that immi dont email back. The waiting is like living in Limbo, that black thought thinking "what if...."

We live in MQ's so we need not worry about selling a house.That would make my hair even greyer, lol. I hope our Visa comes next month, I want to start looking at houses and schools, and start packing things up here.

I am glad I am not the only one getting threaders at immi.

well, heres waiting

take care

Lynette

Archived