transferring from R.N to R.A.N royal navy to royal australian navy

Guest guest25493

Hi all,

I emailed Terry and went to the interview before Id decided so I wouldnt see it being a problem at all. It was well worth it too as it made me choose to go. I went with an open mind too.

Cant wait now, roll on Jan. Oh and I did the interview nearly 2 years before Im now flying out. So 2014 is not that much further.

• Replies 1.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Guest coolchickclaire

Hi All,

My husband is a C.P.O in the Royal Navy and has done his 22 years and we are looking to move to OZ Navy, he has been in touch with terry George who asked him to fill out forms and medical etc which he has now done. We recently had an email to say they are sending people over on 2nd and 3rd December to conduct informal interviews. We are both going along and have a few questions to ask them but in the mean time I would like some advice from you guys that have already done it.

My OH is an air craft handler so the area we have been told we would be is Nowra, I have been to OZ 4 times my OH has never been.

Can anyone please tell me if they are based in Nowra and if so where is the marital housing located and is it nice, or do you rent privately and if so how much do you get towards your rent?

Do any of you live in Wollongong and commute daily?

Where do you all live if your based in Nowra and is it easy to meet other ex pats in the same boat? I don't want to feel isolated and want to make friends if we go out there.

All in all what do you all think of your life out there, and how have you all settled in?

And how is the pay??

Sorry for all the questions but I need as much advice and possible.

Many thanks

Claire 36 and Chris 43

Hi All,

My husband is a C.P.O in the Royal Navy and has done his 22 years and we are looking to move to OZ Navy, he has been in touch with terry George who asked him to fill out forms and medical etc which he has now done. We recently had an email to say they are sending people over on 2nd and 3rd December to conduct informal interviews. We are both going along and have a few questions to ask them but in the mean time I would like some advice from you guys that have already done it.

My OH is an air craft handler so the area we have been told we would be is Nowra, I have been to OZ 4 times my OH has never been.

Can anyone please tell me if they are based in Nowra and if so where is the marital housing located and is it nice, or do you rent privately and if so how much do you get towards your rent?

Where do you all live if your based in Nowra and is it easy to meet other ex pats in the same boat? I don't want to feel isolated and want to make friends if we go out there.

All in all what do you all think of your life out there, and how have you all settled in?

And how is the pay??

Many thanks

Claire 36 and Chris 43

Hi Clair and Chris welcome . We have been here 2 years in Jan and we love it. My husband is based in Sydney and thats about about 2 to 3 hour drive to where ur going to be based.

My husband said its very nice down there hes had to do a few courses there. As for marrierd quarters not to sure on that one but i would have thought they are there and if not then U go down the rd of renting private and Nowra is not that expensive so dont worry about that. I wouldnt have thought you would be based there for ever and will end up in Sydney at some point. As for woolongong cant tell you about that.

Meeting people is like anywhere so long as you get out and about u will be fine, I have English friends and Aussies.

Th life out here is great we have 3 teenage kids and they settled in right away, and Doug and me me are loving the life style we have.t was the best thing we ever did .

All I can say is go to the interiew and see what they have to say.

Hope ths helps

Anita and Dougie :)

Ive never been to Oz either and Im moving in with Anita in jan lol, my partner went a few years back and hell, whats life without a few gambles eh!!!

Roll on me time........... come on carolanne woohoo

Did anybody get any reasonable / unreasonable insurance removals offers? Just wondered where to go for them?

Hi Dean, take out insurance with the navy for ur electrical items, the removal firm dont cover u for damage done to the insides of the items only damage they can see.

Also dont forget you wll need travel insurance for ur stopover, I would use the navy again they where very good with us

Hope ur both ok

Take care Anita.

PS I see ur moving in with me, just bring the vodka please :chatterbox:

Hi guys, sorry for jumping onto the removals post, the navy pickfords thing will cover you for the internals, when you fill your forms in ( this is all free) make sure you fill in the box for electrical and mechanical derangement, this covers the items for any internal damage. We had 2 computers that failed on us and pickfords covered them no snags. Do your homework for prices in Oz NOT UK as they are probably more expensive here, definitely in the west !!!!

You need to have a good chat with Natalie Chee from Pickfords, she was invaluable when we were doing our forms and was a huge help all the way. Even to the point of me e-mailing the forms for her to check over before we submitted them. Can't praise her enough!!! Hope that helps.

Chris

Guest Lisamarie

Hi Claire

We have lived in Nowra, and will have to move back there the end of next year.

It is probably similiar to living in Helston, Cornwall. Not many decent shops, quite high unemployment,but with beautiful surrounds, you really just have to make the best of it.

We lived North of the River and I would recommend that as far as defence housing goes. We really enjoyed our time there, the housing is good and modern, we were at Bomaderry and there and North Nowra is where I would recommend.

Worriggee is another defence housing area, it is lovely and new but is right on top of a very rough area, personally I wouldnt live there.

Apart from that, you have Jervis Bay 20 mins South, which is stunning, beautiful Gerroa, Gerringong and Kiama 20+ North and Sydney and Canberra within 3 hours each way. Inland is Kangeroo valley and the Southern Highlands that are very green and lushious.

Basically if you love outdoor lifestyle, surfing, boating, swimming, bushwalking etc you will love it. If you enjoy winebars, shopping etc you may not as you will have to travel quite far to get a decent shop.

Good Luck x

Hi All,

And how is the pay??

Many thanks

Claire 36 and Chris 43

Hi i just got my visa's back not that long ago start in the RAN in May so looking forward to it i know the grass is never greener but its a mud colour this side or on my boat lol. cant wait lol

ps picture of my wife's sisters at the beach for my avatar thingie

Hi guys, sorry for jumping onto the removals post, the navy pickfords thing will cover you for the internals, when you fill your forms in ( this is all free) make sure you fill in the box for electrical and mechanical derangement, this covers the items for any internal damage. We had 2 computers that failed on us and pickfords covered them no snags. Do your homework for prices in Oz NOT UK as they are probably more expensive here, definitely in the west !!!!

You need to have a good chat with Natalie Chee from Pickfords, she was invaluable when we were doing our forms and was a huge help all the way. Even to the point of me e-mailing the forms for her to check over before we submitted them. Can't praise her enough!!! Hope that helps.

Chris

We also used Pickfords and had Natalie chee who was very helpful. But if there is any damage to the insides of any eletrical goods then u are not covered they advice u to take out insurance for it, if it damage to the screen or a door on ur fridge then yes its covered . Please read the small print it is there. The prices for stuff can vary a lot some things are alot cheaper and some dearer. Just ask and I will price them up for u Dean :biggrin:

A quick update gang and fellow pozzies.

Finally got my removals date on the 13th Dec - cant wait. Everything booked, visas sorted etc woohoo

Its nearly there now, only 69 days and I filled with mixed feelings of excitement and uncertainty. Only the uncertainty is the future and not about what Im going to do - so please dont think Ive changed my mind as I certianly havnt.

As far as advice goes, Ive just been told by a friend to enjoy my last cold xmas as my next xmas will be in June lol

Roll on me time

Dean

A quick update gang and fellow pozzies.

Finally got my removals date on the 13th Dec - cant wait. Everything booked, visas sorted etc woohoo

Its nearly there now, only 69 days and I filled with mixed feelings of excitement and uncertainty. Only the uncertainty is the future and not about what Im going to do - so please dont think Ive changed my mind as I certianly havnt.

As far as advice goes, Ive just been told by a friend to enjoy my last cold xmas as my next xmas will be in June lol

Roll on me time

Dean

Yep - enjoy the cold - I don`t think we`ve had a Christmas below 38 since we`ve been here. I save the Roast turkey for Christmas in July - seafood BBQ for us (did the roast 1st Christmas we were here never again- 40deg outside - in a house with no air con at the time - it was like living in the lower bowels of hell with oven on all morning!)

Glad to hear all is going well. Enjoy ur time at home with friends and family, and you will soon settle here Aussie. We did the beach last bbq the lot even though it rained, had roast in the evening.

This year we are still hav a proper

Glad to hear that everything is going well, enjoy ur time at home with friends and family. you will soon settle in Australia .

We had a bbq on the beach last year even though it rained, and xmas dinner later in the evening. This year we are still doing the xmas dinner we are having a few friends over,

Well gangsters, Ive accepted an offer on my house, a bit of a drop from what I wanted but I really dont want the hastle of keeping it and want to be free of it ha ha

So, with a little luck, this will be our final step for the readiness of flying in Jan.

To all the peeps waiting to find out if they can join, or are joining, good luck and if I can do anything for you please message me.

Sydney only 2 months away!!!

Guest coolchickclaire

Hi Anita,

Thank you very much for your reply. We have got the interview in Plymouth on the 3rd Dec, we are both going along so I am sure we will find out more by then. Do you have any advice on what to expect at the interview? I hope if we do get accepted that we would be in sydney eventually, I much rather be where there is a bit of life as beautiful as the south coast is it is a bit quiet! Glad you are loving it over there! Will keep you posted on how things go.

Claire xx

Hello everyone,

Just thought we would share our good news with you - Steve got his TOS last week :yes: The kids and us are all very pleased and excited. It took 19 weeks from receipt of his RN meds to receiving the TOS.

We've got our RAN interview in Pompey (9th) and then visa meds - both early December. So fingers crossed the medicals go OK (we're all fit & healthy) and we can get the visa application sent off pronto.

We've sent off our Police checks and emailed to request a 'reserve service waiver'.

Also - we go out on the day of my 40th birthday!!! (August 2011 to WA) Hopefully life really does begin at 40 :laugh:

Good Luck to everyone still waiting and to those going out soon.

Liz x

hi moving over to perth june 11 just wondering if there is anyone else going over at around that time

submariner married two kids 5 and 8

Archived