transferring from R.N to R.A.N royal navy to royal australian navy

Guest guest25493

Guest Antony

Hi

I think i have a long way to go !! I sent a e-mail to LCDR T George back in January and was told to send my military details to Canberra which then got sent to my branch sponser ( Medical ) I have now been given a date to attend a interview and a presentation in Glasgow (based in Faslamabad) so Where does it all go from here??

• Replies 1.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Guest nev_n_angie

We arrived in Canberra in September 2007 - and loving it!!!!

Good luck to all - it's worth the effort!! Medicals are fine - no problems - we have 3 kids who are now 13,16 & nearly 18 and they love it too!

Hi, apologies for going slightly off thread, RM going Aus Army ...

Also from Plymouth...

Mind if i ask how your eldest has found it? We have soon to be 18 year old daughter who has yet to be convinced of the move so is either heading to Uni here or gonna be dragged kicking and screaming to Uni there. :arghh:

Guest guest25493

hi Antony, you are at the same stage as general 67 who has been a part of this thread. From Canberra you will get a huge pack, asking about your service, your family, health etc, there is loads of it. Once you send this back, then hoefully, you will be sent a job offer, (terms of service). These thaen get sent back. That is the stage we are at the moment, but any unanswered queations you have, you can ask at your interview.

All the best, Lynette

Guest dickiedaviesrn

Hi everyone,

I have been toying with the idea of joining the RAN since visiting Perth 2 years ago. I am a CPO(OPS) submariner and have got 2 months left before time done. Can anyone give me some advice/websites/contacts or phone numbers. I am serving at HMS Raleigh in the Submarine school at the moment. Cheers, John (Dickie) Davies

Guest martythew

Hi,

I have just come across this site whilst looking for ways to transfer to the RAN from the RN. My wife and I are really interested in moving away from here, I've got 21 years in and am still serving. I could do with a bit of advice on contacts and information on how to start the process, any advice would be much appreciated. I have tried the RAN website but can't seem to find the e-mail address to get in touch with anyone.

Cheers

Marty

Try these links, first one is the straight forwarding ADF Jobs, second is for Overseas Applicants for the RAN. Third one is email address for initial application.

Can't comment on transfer to Navy, as i am RM going Aus Army, but i do know they are screaming out for submariners even if some other areas of overseas recruiting are being cut back.

Home | Defence Jobs

http://http://www.defencejobs.gov.au/recruitmentCentre/overseasApplicants/navy.aspx

RAN.OverseasRecruiting@defence.gov.au

Also worth a look at the ARRSE website, search Australia...its very perce orientated but has loads of info on about 50-odd pages. Bear in mind process for transferring is different for each service, in the same way as it is also different if you were emiigrating civvie.

Quite a few lateral transfer on here from time to time, nev_n_angie should be able to advise you.

Guest nev_n_angie

Eldest settled in quicker than we did! Kids are kids for longer here and she noticed that they were slightly immature to her liking to start with, but she was off down the coast within 2 weeks of starting school with friends etc. She has progressed so much more in school here and LOVES the social side of things!

It was difficult at forst, but after a couple of weeks and getting into school as early as possible, which meant that the friends cirlce was re-built, she was fine

Where in Plymouth are you? We were in Roborough and then Crownhill to finish off.

Guest guest25493

thnaks for that nev and Angie. I have been slightly worried for the children. We live at Widewell at the moment.

Guest lonnie
hi, my husband has just received his terms of service. We are due to arrive in Sydney on Jan 12 2010. Wew have just send of our for a criminal check with ACRO, onve that arrives we can send of our immigration forms, and then get our medicals done.

We live in Plymouth, and are in touch with others who are also in the process.

What about yourself?

Are you going to the meet and greet interviews on May 28th/29th?

all the best

Lynette

Hi All

Lynette and Martin I am due to fly over in Jan I am going to Melbourne, Just received my Visa yesterday so all systems go now finally got through it all and just got to wait ticking the days off. We are over the moon that we got through and really looking forward to the move just got to sort the house out now. If you want to get in touch I will gladly let you know the timeline for me and any advice I have picked up along the way. Good luck with you plans hope to see you in January.

Lonnie

Guest The Spoonies

Hi,

We moved July 2007, husband came as a lateral recruit from UK Army. Kids have both settled in fine, eldest is in second year Uni (21 year old), youngest is in local high school (18 years old). It is what you make of it. We love Sydney. Its very different from living on a 'patch' but I like it. Wish you all the very best of luck in your transfer!

Guest guest25493

yesss, our CRB s arrived today, and yes we are god honest people, No Traces found. Now we can send of for our visa, hurray.

• 2 weeks later...
Guest nev_n_angie

Read the news papers - anyone who was due an interview best wait and see!!!!!! What a nightmare!!!!

Guest nev_n_angie

He wasn't going over on his own, so shouldn't be massive issue to anyone there - still bad press here in Canberra though!!!!

Guest sallyp

My husband is due to leave the RN in 2013 and i'm at uni studying for a BA(HONS) degree in youth and community development. We are seriously considering moving over to OZ. I was wondering if anyone could help answer some Q's such as how easy is the process, what's the education system like, how much does it cost for removal,paperwork etc. We are looking at all the options at the moment but still in the early stages. Any advice would be gratefully recieved. My husband is a CPO(ET) and is now totally disillusioned by the RN and is concerned he may go from one bad navy to another. It certainly doesn't sound that way.

Thanks in advance,

Sally and Ed Perkins:wub:xx

Guest nev_n_angie

Hi Sarah & Ed

We have been in Canberra since September 2007 and went through the lateral tranfer process - it was OK. The whole process has been simplified sonce we did it - as far as the way the Navy is here - it's all good. You get good and bad parts in any job, but my hubbie is enjoying it - the kids are in good schools - the dog has settled in and I have a good job too!

If you look through the search side of this site, you'll get a good understanding of how different people have found the process

Best of luck!

Angie

Guest sallyp

Hi Angie,

Thanks for the swift reply, we also have a springer spaniel, is the process straight forward for them as couldn't leave him behind. Thanks it really helps knowing someone has been through it. I have been reading the posts by others for a while I haven't found anyone who doesn't like it. Trying to decide whether to do it on my job or his. Thanks again.

Sallyx

Guest nev_n_angie

Hi Sally

If his job is in demand - they pay for all of it! Apart from the dog - we only got $660 back for her coming across and she cost 2,500 GBP. Worth the effort though!

I'm not too sure how a sponsored employer would work regarding the visa status, but my hubbie and 2 youngest got citizenship after 3 months. We are all permanent residents though, which is a bonus!

As we lived in Plymouth and hubbies parents lived in France, we already had a passport fro the dog. She had her rabies vaccine etc. as for the rest we used a place in Bristol and paid them to do all of the hard work. We sent her over via them in August 2007 and she had 4 weeks in Sydney then, by the time we'd got ourselves out here, we picked her up a couple of weeks later. It gave us the chance to get the packers in and over here to get defence housing - then picked her up. The flight didn't bother her at all as the crossings’ on the ferry - Plymouth to Roscoff - were usually pretty dire, so she was used to the motion.

There were loads of families picking pets up at the same time, so it's common place.

If you’re not sure, then start the contact process and see what comes of it – you don’t have to accept any of it until the letter of offer comes through – then it goes to immigration and the checks start. We started with immigration in January 07 and got our perm residency visas 01/05/2007.

Like I said before, best of luck and I think it’s well worth the effort!

Angie x

Guest sallyp

Hi Angie,

Thanks so much for all the info, it has really helped. I will look into it a little more and keep you updated on how we get on.

Sallyx

Archived