transferring from R.N to R.A.N royal navy to royal australian navy

Guest guest25493

Guest nolineonthehorizon

Hi all, thought I would join in the fun and post after months of reading the valuable information on this thread.

In the application process for a transfer at the moment (10 months so far) and waiting for Med clearance. Think there is at least one more poster here in the same position.

Applying to transfer to Perth (subs) myself and currently stuck in that all too familiar and frustrating silent zone which I guess many who have been (are going) through the process.

T

• Replies 1.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Guest gavnicjacflo

Hello T,

Well your a little in front of us, we have sent application off, got medical next month. So we are playing the waiting game I think its something we are going to have to get use to. If accepted we will be off to Perth (subs).

GavNicJacFlo

Guest nolineonthehorizon

Hi GavNicJacFlo

Is that the RAN Medical or for the Visa? So far the RAN Med side has taken 4 1/2 months from the outset for my application. The waiting is becoming legendary in this game.

T

nolineonthehorizon

Thats liz steve r thats waiting on med clerance,

Were off to perth too hopefully in january got our visa etc got shippers coming on the 8th

But were stil waiting on the enlistment signal lol you think you only have to wait for one more thing then another comes along haha

Will be worth it in the end

Guest gavnicjacflo
Hi GavNicJacFlo

Is that the RAN Medical or for the Visa? So far the RAN Med side has taken 4 1/2 months from the outset for my application. The waiting is becoming legendary in this game.

T

The RAN Medical, I am due outside early 2012 so I dont know what to do with my resettlement at the moment it all depends on being accepted. Are you going out time done or are you putting in your notice ?. Then the deceision of selling the house (market very slow at the moment ) when do you put it on the market or renting it out etc etc

Gav Nic Jac Flo:wideeyed:

Guest nolineonthehorizon

Yeah, big risk involved with property and migration. Sell now and risk the RAN falling through or wait and see values drop further or not gain a sale to coincide with a move. Having said that the benefit of having (what sounds like very good service housing available out there), to hold on to a UK property and wait until the market to recover has to be an option.

T

Yeah, big risk involved with property and migration. Sell now and risk the RAN falling through or wait and see values drop further or not gain a sale to coincide with a move. Having said that the benefit of having (what sounds like very good service housing available out there), to hold on to a UK property and wait until the market to recover has to be an option.

T

Just be careful when renting out ur house the tax man will love u over here. They will find out and you could end up paying a lot of tax in Oz, its something u should look into. If you have a few years left oover in the Uk then i would say hold on for that little bit longer,

Anita and Dougie :wacko:

Guest nolineonthehorizon

Hmmm, well as Paul Hogan is finding out, overseas income and an Australian tax liability can be a very tricky subject! There is a great deal of personal experience quoted on the Army Latteral thread about the tax position when migrating, pensions etc... and it does seem the easiest and most efficient way is to bring the whole lot over within 6 months of migrating. It's a difficult call of selling (if that is possible) and moving the funds over immediately, or holding on and being subject to a high percentage of tax one the migration window has passed.

On the bright side though. Property is at least moving at the moment and sellers are out there. I guess it depends on the local market though, equity involved and the uncertainty of future values both here and over there. Not to mention the exchange rate which is not brilliant at the moment.

T

Hmmm, well as Paul Hogan is finding out, overseas income and an Australian tax liability can be a very tricky subject! There is a great deal of personal experience quoted on the Army Latteral thread about the tax position when migrating, pensions etc... and it does seem the easiest and most efficient way is to bring the whole lot over within 6 months of migrating. It's a difficult call of selling (if that is possible) and moving the funds over immediately, or holding on and being subject to a high percentage of tax one the migration window has passed.

On the bright side though. Property is at least moving at the moment and sellers are out there. I guess it depends on the local market though, equity involved and the uncertainty of future values both here and over there. Not to mention the exchange rate which is not brilliant at the moment.

T

The other thing, I wouldnt worry to much about moving all ur money over here within 6 months either, I dont anyone thats done it and I know we havent. Just move it when you need it.

We sold our house b4 we came here sold at the right time, and like you said the exchange rate is not very good at the mo. Not worth moving until that changes.

Hope this all helps, we have been here nearly 2 years now, and loving every minute of it. Hope it all goes well for you

Anita and Dougie :biggrin:

• 2 weeks later...
Guest nolineonthehorizon

Has anyone had either phone or email contact from Terry George in the past three weeks?

He seems to be missing in action.

Has anyone had either phone or email contact from Terry George in the past three weeks?

He seems to be missing in action.

Yes, we had an email from him 1st September (we'd written to ask if there was any news on our application - he said 'No news yet') and NOTHING since :dull:

This waiting is a killer! 10 weeks since they received Steve's RAN meds.

Maybe TG's on leave at the mo'?

Liz

Guest nolineonthehorizon

Liz,

had the same message from him mid way through August but nothing since, despite chasing.

Confirmed receipt in Oz 12 weeks ago but still no further forward. And you are right about the wait being a killer.

T

Guest Ironduke

Just thought I'd give those interested an update as I've not had much to say for ages!

We are all going for our medicals Mid October (could go now but thought I'd give myself a month to dry out etc) and we chose the Edinburgh panel doctor, manchester is nearer but as its all claimable may as well make it a good overnighter! Apparently the rail fare, hotel and a meal out are all refundable, I only wish the OH shopping habits were. Have patience all those waiting on the next stage - it soon comes then the prospect of what to do with your house looms large!

CHEERS

I would look into that again, im not saying they wont pay you, but I dont know one person thats dont that. Its a bit like them saying they will pay so much for ur animals, and then they dont pay it. I know that happened to someone that came out here the day b4 us, we got the money for our dog but they didnt even though they had the email saying they would.

Dont want to put the downers on anything just saying check. I hope they do pay and you have a lovely time

Anita and Dougie

Guest guest25493

agree..i would double check on that as well, we got med expenses etc back,but not for fuel /food etc. when you go to london and have your stopover mid flight,you get a food allowance ours was just short of 1000 pounds for 5 of us, but that was it............we got nothing for our pets, but all postage,passport photos,acro,meds,visas etc are claimable.....,

Guest Ironduke

No worries - if I get some money it will be a bonus - they probably have writers like ours, no two give the same advice or pay the same amount, ha ha

Well since we are all giving updates I think I should break my silence too :biggrin:

The pickfords guys were awesome and we are looking at getting a final date sorted shortly for the move, this looks like being end of Oct -Beginning of Nov.

Started house hunting already and people on this website are being great - keep up the good work as all the info on this thread will benifit everyone greatly. Still lots of paperwork to do, as it never stops lol. Big pile to crack through today woohoo.

Most diificult part at the moment is the wife looking for work as a primary school teacher. Nina now has authorisation to tach and its moving along but I know how much she loves working and will be a killer if shes out of work for a little time. Oh well, she will have to bronze up instead he he

Thanks for all your helpo guys, and I will return the favour where I can!!!!

Dean and Nina

Guest Ironduke

My mate in Oz reckons the RAN still shut down for November and December. I remember that happening a couple of years back but if its a regular thing I'll be impressed! Any info?

Cheers

Guest Ironduke
Well since we are all giving updates I think I should break my silence too :biggrin:

The pickfords guys were awesome and we are looking at getting a final date sorted shortly for the move, this looks like being end of Oct -Beginning of Nov.

Started house hunting already and people on this website are being great - keep up the good work as all the info on this thread will benifit everyone greatly. Still lots of paperwork to do, as it never stops lol. Big pile to crack through today woohoo.

Most diificult part at the moment is the wife looking for work as a primary school teacher. Nina now has authorisation to tach and its moving along but I know how much she loves working and will be a killer if shes out of work for a little time. Oh well, she will have to bronze up instead he he

Thanks for all your helpo guys, and I will return the favour where I can!!!!

Dean and Nina

Is there a way of finding out what they won't let you bring over, or what isn't worth bringing because its either cheaper or not compatable? I really want to bring a couple of motorbikes over as well and wonder if Pickfords could advise on that. I suppose I could give them a ring but personal experiences could save me some time!

Cheers

They charge extra for BBQs, Lawnmowers and rugs. £60, £70 and £25 - in that order. They take most things to be honest. Its the RAN that have the blocks on certain things. Obvioulsly flammables, food and booze cant go, or you pay for the import.

Best thing to do is contact Natalie Chee and she will get you in touch with the removals so you can pick there brains, they are good people and wont sell you any lies.

Guest nolineonthehorizon

You may find the following youtube links useful as they are interviews with companies involved with shipping & jobs etc... They were filmed and produced by my Brother for a migration agent.

Just to avoid any misunderstanding, I'm not promoting the agent here (as Laterrals don't need to use one) but they may be useful particularly on the subject on removals. Aus is very strict on the import on certain items such as wicker furniture, ornamental sea shells as examples and there is information on prohibited items within the videos.

In terms of vehicles, it is the case that they are very strict on vehicles and that they have to be imported in an immaculately clean condition to avoid bio hazzards.

Hope these are useful.

Shipping guide - YouTube - thinkingaustralia's Channel

Jobs in Education - YouTube - thinkingaustralia's Channel

Migration to Western Australia - YouTube - thinkingaustralia's Channel

T

Hi guys,

We're still waiting for a TOS 10.5weeks since RAN meds were sent - fingers still crossed for news soon :biggrin:

While we are waiting we've been starting to fill in the Police Check and Visa forms.

Our sons passport has run out, so we're getting his renewed.

Our two daughters passports run out 2013 - we're unsure of whether to leave theirs as is or renew now while in the UK (to avoid hassle when trying to renew in Oz).

My concern is that they might have a gap between their passports expiring and them becoming Aussie citizens (before they can obtain an Aussie passport). We'd have to get our PR visa put into their new passports as well.

So, just wondering what you guys think - do we pay out now and renew or wait?

Also we'd like to know when we would all get Citizenship status? Presumably Steve would get it asap after arrival (with him joining RAN). But when would I get it as his wife? And when would our children get it? Eldest two are Steve's step-children, don't know whether that makes a time difference?

Questions, questions! Thank you in anticipation of your response :biggrin:

Have almost driven ourselves mad waiting for a TOS, so we've decided to fill our time getting the forms filled and collating our docs - that way if it all turns out OK we'll be ready to send everything off pronto.

Hope everyone is having a good day and things are going well.

Liz and Steve

As I believe it to be its 3 months before steve will be allowed to apply.

Ive had a look and its 3 years for all the other members of the family to apply - Ive had a look for my wife too as we fly over in Jan !!!!!

Woohoo - and carolanne keeps giving me count downs, apparently its 3 months and 3 weeks now lol

Guest Ironduke

I was told it was almost immediate for myself (how else could you potentially fight for a country you're not a citizen of?) but then again the crossover courses can take up to 6 months so maybe there's leeway there, and similarly for the kids. Its a standing joke in our house that Mrs H will be the illegal alien in our Oz house because she will have to wait a couple of years for her passport.

I wouldn't bother with the police checks until nearer the time, we wasted our money on getting them before the TOS, thinking it would be for a January 11 join date and it ended up a June date, so by then they'll be out of date so we'll need to do them again.

I don't know about the legal status of step kids and it would be a guess so I won't, but if they get the same treatment as (now struggling to find the word for kids you had a hand in making without offending step kids lol) .....kids then they should get citizenship same time as hubby so you can work out from your joining date wether they need UK passports renewing or not.

Cheers

Cheers

Hi guys,

We're still waiting for a TOS 10.5weeks since RAN meds were sent - fingers still crossed for news soon :biggrin:

While we are waiting we've been starting to fill in the Police Check and Visa forms.

Our sons passport has run out, so we're getting his renewed.

Our two daughters passports run out 2013 - we're unsure of whether to leave theirs as is or renew now while in the UK (to avoid hassle when trying to renew in Oz).

My concern is that they might have a gap between their passports expiring and them becoming Aussie citizens (before they can obtain an Aussie passport). We'd have to get our PR visa put into their new passports as well.

So, just wondering what you guys think - do we pay out now and renew or wait?

Also we'd like to know when we would all get Citizenship status? Presumably Steve would get it asap after arrival (with him joining RAN). But when would I get it as his wife? And when would our children get it? Eldest two are Steve's step-children, don't know whether that makes a time difference?

Questions, questions! Thank you in anticipation of your response :biggrin:

Have almost driven ourselves mad waiting for a TOS, so we've decided to fill our time getting the forms filled and collating our docs - that way if it all turns out OK we'll be ready to send everything off pronto.

Hope everyone is having a good day and things are going well.

Liz and Steve

Hi Liz and Steve, 1st ur husband will get his citizenship after being here 3 months and taking the test. as for the kids they will get theres the same time as Steve, but that will depend on there ages, if you have children 16 and over then they will not get it, I have been trying to get it for one of my daughter who was 16 when we got here. Theres a big thing over here about this at the mo, I was very upset that 2 of my kids got it and my other one didnt, even though she cant vote, drink or go to war, she cant even join the armed forces or be a copper, and is classed as a adult but she still has to go to school for 2 years when we got here. Hopefully we will get things changed,:biggrin:

You Liz will have to wait 4 years to get urs and u will have to take the test then, it used to be 2 but they changed that just b4 we came here. As for the other kid not sure on that one if they are coming here with u then I would say they would get it too, but you would have to ask.

the passports for the kids depends on you if you know when ur coming and its b4 there passports run out by 6 months then I wouldnt bother, they will get new ones when they get there citczenships, mine are keeping there uk 1 and a Aussie one

Hope everything is going ok with you, we now have a new PM so everything should start moving again, fingetrs crossed for you

Anita and Dougie:wacko:

Archived