Hairdressing thread

TaniaColin

Hello! I am a hairdresser of 16 years. I want to go to Queensland (now!) Do you need a licence there or to re-train or anything? I have nearly finished my skills assessment work and hope to see an agent in march. ( we live in spain, no agents here!)

It's good to be in contact with hairdressers on this .. i have been looking into moving for ages and no-one can help me.

Bek xx

• Replies 423
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Hello! I am a hairdresser of 16 years. I want to go to Queensland (now!) Do you need a licence there or to re-train or anything? I have nearly finished my skills assessment work and hope to see an agent in march. ( we live in spain, no agents here!)

It's good to be in contact with hairdressers on this .. i have been looking into moving for ages and no-one can help me.

Bek xx

Hi Bek and welcome to poms in oz, i don't know much about what is required in Queensland, so perhaps one of the other members will help you out

Best of luck

Tania X:wubclub:

Guest chris_mac

Bek xx

Hi Simex

Please see link that will answer all your questions about Queensland and hairdressing.

Skills in demand by region

Ive just had a quick look and it provides a hell of a lot of information. Please take your time reading it and checking the links.

Best wishes

Chris

Hi Tania and to Hi all the hairdressers!!!,

Great idea tania it is very hard to find out about hairdressing in Oz. I have almost finished level 3 in hair so will be looking for a job asap. to gain some experience before we leave (this Oct) carnt wait:biggrin:. we have completed our meds etc so just waiting for visa. Luke is a plumber so he is the visa applicant. i have done hair so i can get a job (hope!) when we get to Oz. I always wanted to do hairdressing so its worked out well i love it! sorry Tania u know all this already.... Im waiting for Missy to come back from melborne as she is havin a good reccie for hairdressing be interesting to see what she has learnt xxx

Guest snow white
sorry006.gif

Lesley, I did indeed forget your plumbers thread...

lol xxx

lol its ok dan your forgiven, i think its great that everyone is helping everyone else out its good too have as much info on as many trades that require qualifications licenses here in oz so the more the merrier i say . keep up the good work all

lesley x

Bek xx

You will not need a licence to work in a salon, I was informed that you will need a licence for mobile/freelance hairdressing. I am still trying to find the link for this, if anyone knows where it can be found please post it for other would be hairdressers to read because I cannot find it anymore. I am starting to wonder if they have removed it altogether, but knowing what the Queensland Unions are like I very much doubt it.

It wouldn't surprise me in the slightest if you will soon need a licence to eat, walk, talk and breathe!!! It's just getting ridiculous in this State....:arghh:

OK after a bit of research I am still unsure if you do need a licence or not to carry out freelance/mobile hairdressing in QLD, here is a link to a the Queensland Toolbox website I found but still can't make heads or tails of it, I would assume you would need insurance at the very least to carry out this type of work, I do not intend to be a mobile hairdresser but if anyone out there is thinking about it then I would advise you read this or ring your local council...

Another quick note, just to help future migrants my husband has posted a Work Reference and Stat Dec Template connected to Hairdressing via his website. One of the references is what we supplied the TRA. If any migrants out there are scratching their heads like we did about what to write exactly you can find it here. Just click on the auspedia link and this will take you to the Australian links page, scroll down to the bottom of this page and there are two template links, click on either of these, hope this helps....

Guest lisaandnigel

hi all

I have just been on the other hairdressing thread.

i am lisa going to perth in august with my partner nigel and 2 boys alfie and harry.

I have been hairdressing 16 years and still loving it.

lisa

Guest KEITH HADDEN

Hello everyone

Myself and my partner are wanting to move to OZ say the nxt 2 years. He is a qualified Electrician/AirCon Engineer. I work in Marks and Spencers as Customer Service officer, hopeing to do a Hairdressing course.

Can anyone give us loads of information re immigration etc.

We greatly appreciate everyones advice.

thanks

Louise xxxx

and Keith x

Hi Louise and Keith welcome to poms in oz, what sort of things do you need to know.

A good way to start is have a chat to an agent, i used Go-Matilda to help me with my visa process, at least you know then what you are up against and then you can take it from there

Best of luck and just give us a shout with any questions

Tania X

Guest chatty66

hi... i am a hairdresser in joondalup... i didnt need to resit my exams as i had all my cerificates..which they assessed as being acceptable and i got my licence easy... however a friend of mine had to resit perming and colour/cut as he didnt have any certification...so look it all out before you come over and keep it with you...not in your shipment...you will need it...good luck..

Guest chatty66

hi I'm in a salon... its a lovely aveda salon.. was so lucky to get to work there..we have loads of poms for clients as they all want an english trained hairdresser...same goes for some aussies.....you will have no worries getting a job... just be carefull where you go to... some just dont care about the standard of work... it really annoys me the cuts we get in for correcting... sorry ranting!!!..when you hoping to come over?..chatty

Guest chatty66

well... we have better training.. even aussies will prefer to employ a brit...i love working here the only downsid is no tips!!!...took me ages to get used to that... its a very proffessional salon where i work but still very laid back... i love working here and living here... it takes a while to settle and you might loose your confidence in bit...but dont worry it all comes good... i worked at morris meade in the city west end when i first got here and i just cut and styled but it was full on 30 min appointments all day... also i missed colouring.. i like to put my colour where i want it.. not hand it over to someone else...so they might be worth a try...but most brit owned salons will expect you to do the lot... I'm in clarkson...northern subs... pm me if you want to meet up when you get here... its just good to have a bod to go for a drink with...

Hi Clarie

It will be interesting to find out all the gossip from Missy when is she back????

Tania X

Not sure back soon i would have thought. im going to PM her and leave her the link for this thrread. have u submitted all your documents just got to scan our police checks then done i hope so will just be waiting for our visa. we might be bringing our off to oz time quicker than we first thought, why not!!! nothing keeping us here (apart from finishing my course....)

xx

Archived