Hairdressing thread

TaniaColin

• 2 weeks later...
  • Replies 423
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Hi everyone,

I've recently moved to Tassie from the UK with my fiance (who is works in recruitment and has a 457) and our daughter.

I am a hairdresser with a level 2 NVQ diploma in hairdressing, I dont have much salon experience but have done quite alot of home hairdressing from friends/family.

I have been going around the salons in Launceston and have come across a common problem - people seem to be confused as to how my qualification fits into the australian qualifications. One salon was interested in taking me on, so I did assessment cuts and colours so they could assess what level I was on.

Apparently I cant be taken on as a level 2 apprentice because I've already done some of the units that are covered in the course (they say its illegal) - After some deliberation the salon owner has decided that he wont take me on as a level 3 apprentice as he feels i'm not up to that standard.

So i'm pretty frustrated and feel like i've been left in limbo - i'm going to contact the local college to see if I can find a course to get myself up to level 3.

Has anyone come across a similar problem when moving from the UK re qualifications? If anyone has any advice it would be much appreciated.

Thanks very much

Jaime

Hi all, been a hairdresser for 18 years now, have my visa but moved back with in the year as my wife fell pregenant with our son. He is now 2 and we are planing to move back. Have to be back by oct 2012. I brought a franchise when we came back as I did not think my wife would want to return but now she does and Im putting the salon up for sale. Hopefully we will go back with enough money to look at opening another salon as I love having my own. I know I will have to work for some one else for a year or two as we will still need a business loan and suss out were we want to open one.

The thing that is worrying me is the wages, I was in Queens land before and the money was not great but it did not mater at the time as it was just two of us. Now I have a family to support im worried how im going to do it on a hairdressers wage. I was being paid the minimum wage as a basic plus commision but we all know that takes time to build up. I know its a personal question but can any hairdressers out there give me an idea of how much hairdressers can expect to earn at the mo. It will be interesting to see if it has improved in the last two years and Im sure that there are other who would find the info helpful. Also, how much does it suck that hairdressing has been taken of the list!!!!

John.

actually its lousy money i get $25,00 an hour on a casual rate although i have set days [ i work 4 days a week ] plus super] i think the full time rate is about $19.00 an hour plus you get sick pay and holiday pay , i personally prefer the casual rate as i dont tend to take sick days so at least i get compensated a bit by the casual rate , id hate to support a family on it luckily my hubby earns three times what i do .

years ago i had my own salon which was good as you have a lot of deductions etc , but these days being much older i much prefer to do my job and leave no hassle no responsibility , no staff problems etc

actually its lousy money i get $25,00 an hour on a casual rate although i have set days [ i work 4 days a week ] plus super] i think the full time rate is about $19.00 an hour plus you get sick pay and holiday pay , i personally prefer the casual rate as i dont tend to take sick days so at least i get compensated a bit by the casual rate , id hate to support a family on it luckily my hubby earns three times what i do .

years ago i had my own salon which was good as you have a lot of deductions etc , but these days being much older i much prefer to do my job and leave no hassle no responsibility , no staff problems etc

Thats still a better rate than you will get here! Not sure how it equates to supporting a family over there, my wife will have to go back to work which is fine, hopefully we will be able to manage. Im sure we will make it work! What does your husband do to earn $75 an hour, maybe I should have a career change.

• 3 weeks later...
Guest jill29
Hello

I'm a UK Hairdresser in Queensland, if you need any advice I will try to answer any questions you fellow PIO's put to me, Good Luck....

Im still in the UK and hoping to move to AUS in a couple of years time. My question is are UK qualifications (NVQ, HND) applicable in oz? I have an NVQ level 2 atm. Since we have some time before we move I had considered doing level 3 and HND in order to have some additional qualifications when I apply for skills visa. I should add I have 13 years experience working in salons, have ran my own salon for 5 years and without seeming bigheaded am very confident in my skills. I have heard you need to do a skills assesment, what does this involve? If I can find a sponsor what do they normally require and would they consider NVQ/HND? I don't want to spend time and money doing these qualifications if they mean nothing. (I know they don't mean that much in UK!)

Thanks in advance

Jill

:hug:

Thats still a better rate than you will get here! Not sure how it equates to supporting a family over there, my wife will have to go back to work which is fine, hopefully we will be able to manage. Im sure we will make it work! What does your husband do to earn $75 an hour, maybe I should have a career change.

hubby is a mech engineer lol another thing you could look at is doing your qualifcations to teach hairdressing at tafe its very good money i had a friend who did this about $40/ 45 an hour she told me and a lot more for being available when the apprentices are doing their exams

Guest ashnmatti

Hello fellow choppers, been wanting to make the move since i qualified in 2004 but have had children since so had to be put on hold, finally started the GSM Jan 2010 oly to have hairdressing taken off the list before i had time to lodge my app. Had to start again, this time on my partners trade (plumber) and lodged his trade test app the other day, so we are now waiting for them to let him do the practical test so we can apply for the visa. Hopefully we will get to that stage this time without them messing with the lists again!! Hoping to shimmy over to SA as we have friends just outside of Adelaide who seem to enjoy life there and rate it for bringing up our children.

• 3 months later...

Hi are you still hairdressing in Queensland?

We are reapplying for our visa after a complete mess up last year. Applying under my husbands occ.

Although this year I have seen hairdressers are no longer on the sol list. Typical. Anyway I have been told that I need to be at least level 3 qualified to get work. I passed my level

2 years ago but never bothered sitting a level 3. Starting back at college in Sept to brush up on skills and I will also get back into a salon.

Did you have a level 3 when you started? is it much different to the Uk, work wise and, may be a silly question but I've got to ask, do the salons have air con? Just something I keep thinking about, with the heat generally combined with hot air of a hairdryers in salons. I can imagine myself melting.

Thanks any advise is greatly appreciated.

Hi, that sounds interesting have visa planning on moving to oz in 18 months have level 3, do you know what the teacher training involves and would it be best to do it here or in oz, if here is it recognized there? Thanks Sam

Hi, that sounds interesting have visa planning on moving to oz in 18 months have level 3, do you know what the teacher training involves and would it be best to do it here or in oz, if here is it recognized there? Thanks Sam

i have my level 3 and was wondering about my assessors course but not sure of its worth in oz so shall i save my money.

Hi all, just seen this thread, wonder if someone could help me, my oh and I are planning to move to WA on my oh visa as a bricklayer, I am the hairdresser, do I need to take TRA to work in WA or is my British C&C qualification ok, ?

Hi, I had to do TRA but I was the main applicant oh also hairdresser but has not needed to get TRA certificate. Haven't moved yet waiting for improvement on E.R. If that ever comes...

• 8 months later...
Guest Janr82

Hi all!! I know it's been months since the last post...But thought I'd see if anyone can help.. I'm currently doing my Nvq II diploma in hairdressing, completion date Is 15th may, but on rack to complete early... I would really really love to move to Aus, first choice would be WA as i have friends there etc. But i wouldn't mind the NT either... Anyway, how much experience do i need after i qualify in order to apply for the state sponsorship visa?? Some say a year others say 3...even been told 5 years!?!?!?!

Was also thinking of going over to visit friends again after our summer, maybe scout around to see if any salons would be willing to sponsor... Anyone still getting sponsored employment as a hairdresser???? :chatterbox::confused:

Thanks in advance for any help :smile:

• 9 months later...

Hi im doing my level 2 hairdressding and will complete in sept. im really looking for information aswell. As to weather people are getting sponsored and if ill need lots of years of experience before i go. Id like to go to perth. I have no idea where to start applying or what id need to do. So if anyonw has any information id really apreciate it. Kind regards X

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
Hi all!! I know it's been months since the last post...But thought I'd see if anyone can help.. I'm currently doing my Nvq II diploma in hairdressing, completion date Is 15th may, but on rack to complete early... I would really really love to move to Aus, first choice would be WA as i have friends there etc. But i wouldn't mind the NT either... Anyway, how much experience do i need after i qualify in order to apply for the state sponsorship visa?? Some say a year others say 3...even been told 5 years!?!?!?!

Was also thinking of going over to visit friends again after our summer, maybe scout around to see if any salons would be willing to sponsor... Anyone still getting sponsored employment as a hairdresser???? :chatterbox::confused:

Thanks in advance for any help :smile:

Hi I've researched the options for hairdressing as that's what I am doing, I am doing my level 3 now. You need to do your level 3 and you will need either state sponsorship or employer sponsorship. With state sponsorship it is a point system so you need to be working in your occupation for at least 3 years to get 5 points and more than 5 years you get 10 points. Dont think you can get a state sponsorship visa without the working experience. Another possibility is if you are 30 or under you can apply for a working holiday visa then apply for permanent residency when your there x

Guest bradfords

Hi , iv been a qualified hairdresser since 2002 and been hairdressing since i was 15 yrs old so in the industry for 14 yrs . me my 3 boys and my husband are hoping to move to Perth in the next couple of yrs this gives us time to save , i have been advised by the experts that we do qualify to get out to Perth and that i would have to work in a salon for no less than 2 yrs then after this we would be free to live and work any ware in Australia . i was wondering whats the trade test and English test that i will have to take like not done and exam for a long old time ? also whats the type of wage i would expect to be on for full time hours and what sort of hours would i exspect to do ? iv heard Perth is very expensive so was wondering what so of rent would we be looking at for a 3 bed home and how do we choose what area to move to . Perth is the only place taking on hairdressers on a working visa so im told by the experts many thanks xx

Hi my name is Cheryl

I came to oz 20 yrs ago was hard to get a job as i had no clientele and they wouldn't look at my work. Then we had the hairdressers federation but that has now collapsed. I did a basic theory any practical exam and got interviewed by the board. I then went on to do mobile hairdressing as it was hard then as W A was not as forward as it is now.

We live in Bubury I had my own salon for 8 years sold that now I have a huge room set up in our home as a salon and its brilliant thd best

if you look on wage line Australian website you can check out wages. Food here seems to have got more expensive but the quality knocks dead the uk vegis. In Bunbury your pro ably looking at $400 week rent for 4 bed 2 bathroom prob more on Perth.

Hope this helps good luck have a happy life x

Archived