Sign in to follow this  
ozgal

Defacto Visas

Hey people

My partner and I plan on moving to Oz next October. I am aussie born and bred but have lived in the UK for 7 years.

Has anyone here got in on a defacto visa? My boyfriend and I have been together for almost 4 years, have lived together almost all this time, and have the documents to prove it. However we are young (I am 27, he is 25) and we do not want to get married for the sake of a visa unless we have to.

I have got all the documents from Australia house and it seems a bit overwhelming, but we dont really want to pay thousands for an immigration service when we know we are legit.

Can anyone shed some advice on what they went through, what we should expect, and, if your relationship is real, how easy it is.

We have complete support from both families. I can understand why its so much harder applying for a defacto visa as we havent made that lifelong commitment yet...would we be better off applying for an engagement visa (we kinda are anyway, i just dont have a ring and we dont have a date). How much easier would it be if we got married first?

I know i shouldnt be worried as we truely are real and we can prove it, but it just seems so overwhelming.

Any advice would be appreciated.

Cheers!

Moneycorp

Moneycorp

Guest Boomer

Hi Ozgal

My partner got her permanent residents visa back in 1997. We had been together about a year when we went to Oz. I was on 1 year working holiday visa. Once we got to Oz we applied for a temporary resident visa so I could stay longer. We had the usual proving that we had an ongoing relationship but it was pretty easy. Unfortunately we came back to the UK after 3 years due to family (doh! as homer would say) and I never got permament residency. Basically we are going through the whole thing again. The only difference is my partner is now a citizen. My advice is do not get an immigration lawyer. If you are a Australian citizen it should be pretty straightforward without getting married. As long as you have proof that you have an on-going relationship ie household bils in both name or financial commitments together it should be a forgone conclusion....well that's what I have told myself. Say youself £1,000. The visa is £500 anyway!!!

If you got married you would still have to get all the same shit together that you are for a de-facto visa. So it doesn't really matter.

Hope this help.

Nick

Guest mancunian

Although criterias are constantly changing the best thing to do is be HONEST...........had a job and a half with my immigration papers some 10 years ago...the biggest problem? Immigration " lawyers"...they are no necessary...just after the buck... man dealing with my case in Melbourne Immigration said it didn't matter if you have 20 lawyers , they look at the evidence, the facts, the truth, the proof and, basically, stop wasting your money with a " lawyer".

Guest jocky boy

hi ozgal :)

we done it through an engagement, defacto , pain in the neck i know everyone goes through it all we have waited longer than anyone i know reason is they want bills, bank, accounts e.t.c. in each others name rent council tax, they want it for a year but we only had all the accounts together for six months so we have had to wait an extra six months. some people disagree but i believe it's better to get an agent god it's some amount of paper work i know it's dear but it's worth it. our case was so complicated but with my agent we sailed through. get a ring c'mon

good luck on everything

jocky boy..

Guest Naiad

What are the benefits of just getting married and being done with it against going for the prospective marriage visa?

It seems to me (and I could be wrong) that if you get a prospective marriage visa you go through all the paperwork and jump through all the hoops and then have to do it all over again when you get married and change to a spouse visa?

Yasmin

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

Sign in to follow this  

• Similar Content

• By Abi6635
        Me and my partner are applying for a skills visa. Both of us have wanted skills, my partner is the main person applying for the visa and I am going on his partner. We have been together for 6 years, we haven’t lived together and we don’t have a joint bank account. We currently live between our parents houses as we are saving to emigrate. We have evidence through photos, flight tickets, statements from friends. What is needed to ensure the visa will be granted? What else can we submit as evidence? Has anyone applied for a visa in a similar situation who could help?
        thanks! 
      • By ellemorrison
        Hello
        Somebody with knowledge please advise. I'm a stressed out Brit living in Paris, France with my Australian Partner. We are in a de facto relationship. Been living together for over 4yrs now.
        He has been offered a job in Sydney, Australia and we plan to move over there in 2 months time.  3 days ago, i applied for a tourist visa (subclass600) so that I can be with my partner while we wait for the processing of my Partner Visa. I intend to lodge the Partner Visa in the next few days offshore, here in Paris before we leave.
        I understand that I wont be able to work or have rights while on this tourist visa 600.  I also understand that I have to leave Australia to be granted the Partner Visa when processed.
        I was told by someone on these forums that as a British citizen, it was best to go for an ETA and apply for the Partner Visa onshore. I'm afraid waiting till we get to Australia is risky and my documents will be a little dated. I have all my documents and evidence ready to apply for the Partner onshore.
        Anyway, its too late now, I have already applied for the Tourist Visa 600. Have a completely messed up?
      • By Cootsy88
        Hi,

ive just completed my medical on wednesday and got an updated on emedical saying completed, on all 3 things. And on the immi website saying that "health clearance provided- no action needed".  
        I won't get a case officer probably for another 5 months, but was told to do my medical  by a friend after 4 months of submitting my defacto visa
        I'm a bit worried about the medical it says that I'm good just now until a co is assigned, but do you know if I had a serious disease that they would tell me or wait until co is assigned, like if I had hiv, and they tell me 5 months down the line that my visa is refused I'd be a bit pissed of as it's a serious disease 

thanks
      • By Ross Hopwood
        Hey, all. This is my first time ever writing on a forum, let's see how it goes  
        Just to give you a brief overview - I am a British Expat living in Dubai and have done so for the past 8 years. My partner, also British, is a permanent resident in Australia. We have been together for 3 years now surviving as a long distance couple, travelling back and forth to see each other. But it's time now that one of us makes the move, and it's going to be me moving there. I will be moving there sometime early 2018 on a working/holiday visa to start, with the hope of gathering enough evidence to submit an application for the partner visa. I've seen a lot on forums about the partner visa but never seen much of it done through the working/holiday visa. We will start off living with his Mum up until we can afford to rent or buy somewhere. I understand that I will need to be data gathering constantly to show that we in a strong, stable relationship and that I genuinely what to live there. 
        So, what I really need is some advice on lodging my application for the partner visa whilst I am on the working/holiday visa.... The time scale in which I need to send our application through (straight away, 6 months, 1 Year?.... What evidence we really need to be focusing on gathering.... Any temporary visas/bridging visas I can apply for to enable me to seek full-time employment.... Anything else you think I should know that can guide me in the process. 
        All advice is greatly received, and I look forward to hearing from some of you  
        Ross
      • By Jelzee
        Im Australian and my partner is English. We've applied for a partner visa and been told we need more proof that we were in a defacto relationship before we applied. We were living with his dad and his dad has done a stat dec, plus we've got letters and bills etc addressed to us there but they said they need a lease or rental agreement. We didnt have one because it was his dads house but now were trying to work out if theres a way to make one and back date it? If not is there anything else we can provide to prove we were living in a defacto relationship? 
        Thanks