Assurance of Support Dilemma..HELP !

Guest DebbiePom

Guest DebbiePom

My partner and I are in the process of emigrating to Australia and qualify on points for a family skilled sponsored visa. Our aunt in Adelaide has agreed to act as the family sponsor but the problem we have is that she cannot act as the Assurer of Support as she only spends a proportion of the year in Oz and the rest in Singapore..We basically need any Australian Citizen or Permanent Resident who earns a minimum of $ 45,000 Dollars taxable income a year to put up a bond as Assurance of Support of $ 5,000 Dollars for 2 years. Does anyone know of anyone who may be willing to do this for us ? We are happy to give the bond from the beginning and then for it to be kept after the 2 year period..or alternatively go through an agency / law firm etc....We are feeling desperate as we are 100% committed to starting a new life in Oz and it is so close we can " Feel the Sunshine & Smell The Barbies !":cry:

Guest Gollywobbler

Hi Debbie

I have sent you a PM with some names and contact details.

Does your aunt have PR in Oz or Australian citizenship? Does she also pay Income Tax in Australia? If the answer to both questions is "Yes" and she can prove the necessary level of net assessable income, the fact that she spends half the year in Singapore shouldn't make a difference, I wouldn't have thought. (However, I'm not an expert on AoSs and neither are Centrelink, regrettably. Where is your aunt at the moment?

Have you tried ringing Centrelink yourself about this? If not, please see this article by Alan Collett, which gives their phone number. The number reaches a call centre in Tasmania. The first time I called them, last year in connection with the AoS for my mother, I was put through to a woman who sounded quite knowledgeable. The second time, the call centre was dire so I gave a Greek woman a hard time till she put me throught to her Manager, who was in Sydney.

http://www.gomatilda.com/news/article.cfm?articleid=214

Hopefully, Alan Collett (a chartered accountant as well as a registered migration agent) will see this thread later tonight and will respond about whether or not your aunt needs to live in Oz year round in order to Assure you.

If you end up with your aunt as the Assurer, she has to sign the AoS form in the presence of a Centrelink officer, so obviously she would need to go to Australia to do this. However, I think your CO would probably grant an extension of time if you needed to wait till your aunt returns to Oz.

I hope you manage to resolve this satisfactorily. Please forgive any typos but I am tired and peering at the screen is hurting my eyes (contact lenses) which are a bit dry.

Best wishes

Gill

Guest DebbiePom

Hi Gill

Thanks for your time and effort in the information you have given us it is much appreciated ! For the record our Aunt is a Permanent Resident, however she doesn't earn the sufficient taxable income to qualify as our Assurer too.She is currently in Singapore and due to go back to Oz in April...( my contacts are getting very gritty too! )..Kindest Regards Debbie

Archived