Guest Dave+Mitch

Statutory Declarations

Guest Dave+Mitch

Hello Everyone,

We will be applying for the 175 visa with Dave as main applicant and me as fe dacto even though I have 140 points myself basically to save on time + cost. We are also doing it ourselves.

We will need to prove that we are in a de facto relationship. We have been together for 4 years and lived together for 2 however we have separate bank accounts and only one of us is on any bill.

I have found lots of things with both of our names on but I’ve read its best to get statements from family and friends. Has anyone on here had experience of this at all? Main thing I’m confused about is how we go about this.

Will just a page of typed A4 signed and dated by my Mum and a few others for example suffice? I’ve read that if you are getting one from an Australian then there is a special form and it needs to be witnessed by a solicitor etc?

My Mum lives in France and my friends are very scattered around the UK so I was hoping to be able to just request that they write a mini essay about us and we can send it off. I’m happy to get it copied and certified by a solicitor with all our other docs but don’t want to ask them to go to a solicitor unless we have to if you know what I mean. Also if we’re happy to post the original do we need to go through that step at all? Do we have to use a form similar to the 888?

Also what is the process of writing one about yourself? Is there a special form? If anyone has any examples i'd be very grateful.

Thanks

Mitch

Guest Dave+Mitch

Is it true you can get UK teachers/nurses/doctors to witness statutory declarations. What do they need to put on the bottom?

Could we also really get away with not having all our documents certfied if we apply online and scan everything in colour. Is this true? Even passports etc?

Guest ReadyPenny

Hi Guys

No, the Stat Dec has to be done by a solicitor as it has to be "sworn" we only paid £10 for this though, we wrote it ourselves, typed it up and they signed and stamped it. That's it! As for docs yes, if they are in colour you can get away without having them certified. We have done this as well.

Mandy

Guest Dave+Mitch

Thanks Mandy its so confusing. Great news about the certified documents though.

I read on the Australia website that theirs can be done by a whole list of people inc teachers etc so I was hoping it was the same over here. So I am going to have to ask 4 sets of family and friends to go to a solicitors themselves and pay to get a declaration that we are together sworn in! Arghhh. Is there really no way around that? My Mum lives in France

Guest ReadyPenny

Give the solicitors a call and ask. You may be able to get all the rellies to post them to you and then you make the one trip to get them all "sworn"

Not too sure, but worth a try. I think you may be able too, as their "statements" are part of YOUR overall Stat Dec, rather than individual stat decs. This way YOU are swearing that ALL the info contained within the complete document is the truth, if you see what I mean.

Mandy

Guest ReadyPenny

Forgot to say, people in the other professions you listed can certify your docs for you, then just can swear the stat dec. A magistrate will also certify for you, for free, but you have to make an appointment at your local magistrates court.

Guest Furball

We've got a load of people (my dad, his mum, his bf in Aus, friends here and his old land lady) to fill in 888's. They state that they can be signed by doctors/nurses etc etc etc and thats what we've done with them.

Not sent them off yet but hopefully they'll be ok!

Lissa x

Guest Dave+Mitch
We've got a load of people (my dad, his mum, his bf in Aus, friends here and his old land lady) to fill in 888's. They state that they can be signed by doctors/nurses etc etc etc and thats what we've done with them.

Not sent them off yet but hopefully they'll be ok!

Lissa x

Did you actually fill in 888's even if the people weren't Australian? Can you do that?

Thanks

Guest Dave+Mitch

Oh and Lissa - were they handwritten?

Guest Dave+Mitch
Give the solicitors a call and ask. You may be able to get all the rellies to post them to you and then you make the one trip to get them all "sworn"

Not too sure, but worth a try. I think you may be able too, as their "statements" are part of YOUR overall Stat Dec, rather than individual stat decs. This way YOU are swearing that ALL the info contained within the complete document is the truth, if you see what I mean.

Mandy

Thanks Mandy I will phone them and ask them!

Guest Furball

Yes, they're all handwritten - the form is a PDF - and no-one I know has acrobat, just reader so...

I was basically following advice I'd seen a month or so back on here about others with a defacto application - they got english people to fill in the 888 and got it signed by the "appropriate" people here too and there wasn't a problem - so I'm hoping ours will be ok too :)

Lissa x

We just downloaded the form 888 from DIAC web site...got friends to fill it in.. then as 1 works at a hospital she got a nurse to witness it and the other got a police officer friend to witness. Very straight forward....I asked the DIAC and they confirmed that that was sufficient. Also took all my docs to the local law courts and they certified them all free of charge as they are not allowed to charge for services.

Sue (44) Steve (51) Scott (17) Bradley (9) Sophie (5)

Jake - Little Ozzie Angel:angel_happy_face_ha

Spouse visa (PR) granted 17.4.09. In Secret Harbour 29.4.09..loving it!!!!!

Guest Furball
We just downloaded the form 888 from DIAC web site...got friends to fill it in.. then as 1 works at a hospital she got a nurse to witness it and the other got a police officer friend to witness. Very straight forward....I asked the DIAC and they confirmed that that was sufficient. Also took all my docs to the local law courts and they certified them all free of charge as they are not allowed to charge for services.

Very relieved about that as I was starting to worry! The English ones have both been signed by nurses so far... but the other one will be signed by a teacher (which i think is also on the list). No idea what the Aussie ones will be signed by but heyho!

Law Courts: Really?? Who did you see? Did you have to make an appointment? hmmm.... Bet the one in Oxford does though :( Its really difficult to even get into too!

One of the nurses I work with is a JP (thats how I found out) She said that she had done them on several occassions and that she is not allowed to charge because it is voluntary...so does not matter where you are JP's cannot charge. Just phone your local Law Courts and explain and they should give you appointment to go and do it. Go with all your copies and originals and make it easy for them and put copy with original.

Hope this helps.

Sue

Sue (44) Steve (51) Scott (17) Bradley (9) Sophie (5)

Jake - Little Ozzie Angel:angel_happy_face_ha

Spouse visa (PR) granted 17.4.09. In Secret Harbour 29.4.09..loving it!!!!!

Guest Dave+Mitch

Thanks guys, I feel a lot happier if I can just send those out to people. I have a lot of teacher friends so it should be simple to get them witnessed.

Thanks