Culture shock

Guest luluc

Guest 0405delboy
Fashion is about up to date now thanks to the internet Prepackaged meals in supermarkets are not as good or as tasty in fact are mostly crap and read the labels as there are different additives that are banned in UK Food in cafes pubs and restaurants is cheaper and better in Oz with good seafood Eating out is more common Commercial TV is crap unless you get cable etc altho sbs and abc are good Movies are up to date Pubs are not the same not somewhere to relax Coffee shops are good State schools expect money for books and some courses In WA kids have poor vocabularies Melbourne they have good ones Not sure about the other places It is easier to pay for private schools esp if they are church run But they may not be better than the state ones Oz people think that speaking a second language is exotic and not many do tho Aborginals up north may speak several languages There are a lot of amphetamines around and the usual drugs That is all I can think of for now

Must be a secret...........Any Brit woman looking for love in Oz is looking for lurve in all the wrong places...............:biglaugh:. Aussie blokes have about as much charm as a dying walrus foaming at the mouth but each to their own. :wink:

• Replies 130
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I will be honest....i dont get this culture differnce thing over here????.......i came here to try a new life, and have never once thought it is a complete different culture to the Uk......i think its better than the UK for me, but never really suffered any culture worries as i dont seem to find any......now if i moved to the middle east, id get the culture differnce thing......anyone else feel the same or not???.........

:yes: I totally agree! It is different from the UK but why move out here if all you're gonna do is moan about "back home we do it like this..."! The aussies hate that attitude. Live and let live. I went back to UK last year to visit relos and couldn't wait to come back to Oz! I do agree though that the sausages are crap - the chicken ones are bearable!

I think it's important to be realistic about whether or not you're a city or country person. I'm very much a city person and if I lived in the small village in Cumbria that my partner is from I probably would not have very nice things to say about the UK! Not because it's not a nice place but it's not my cup of tea.

I appreciate that often it is easier to get a regional visa which might be why 'city' people end up in the country in Australia.

Some things will be 'better', some things will be 'worse' - but you'd probably find that if you moved from London to Leeds (or vice versa - when I moved from Leeds to Surrey a few years ago that was a culture shock too!).

• 1 year later...

Is anyone new from merseyside to perth wa these threads I'm reading are all years old it would be great to talk to another scoucer so if your out there get in touch !!!!!

Archived