Culture shock

Guest luluc

Guest John Sydney

The best way of defining the difference between Australia and the UK Is to think of the UK at one end of a line and the USA at the other end. Australia will br about in the Middle of the two points.

A lot of the comments I have read about Australia are based on West Australia, Australia is more than Western Australia.

Australians are also very Cynical, and don't just swallow everything they are told -

Blunt as well call a spade a spade

• Replies 130
  • Created
  • Last Reply

LOL not too sure about the "temperance" nature of Australia, I would have said it was the opposite. Gosh we even had a cricketer doing a radio interview the other day while definitely under the influence. Every day (in nice middle class Canberra) I see people on park benches with their bottles in brown paper bags and if you walk through town late at night (not often thank goodness) you have to dodge the alcoholic vomit on the pavements.

When my son was working in central London as a special constable, they used to de-can people and pour their alcohol down the drain. I cannot imagine the Australian response if a copper tried to take their stubby off them like that - a riot would ensue! The government thought it had to introduce a tax on alcopops because of the teenage binge drinking. Just made the kids go for the real stuff and mix their own.

Ah yes, another cultural difference - our cops carry guns which can be a bit of a surprise if you are not expecting it.

Guest John Sydney

Temperance in Sydney what joke - catch a ferry after work and you see heaps of people drinking out of paper bags - it against the law to drink on the ferries but if the can is in a bag. Nobody says anything.

Typical example of one diffrence in Cultures.

I was round a customers house this morning She is from North Brisbane. Been round there a few times working lovley as she is she never ask's do you want a cuppa tea (drink of any sort).

Husband walks in local lad (Essex boy). Shakes my hand and ask's has she made me a drink. "No she never does" I said (he always asks) it's the Aussie way.

He said she's rude. She say's in aus you only get if you ask.

Guest 0405delboy
Definalty not!!!......its Oxford Street....winos and whores!!, there the skanks im on about!.....am in a differnt area now, broadway working......definatly better class of people there....

Example of cultural differences right there :

A better class of people???? Euggghhhhhhh!!!!

Never hear comments like that from Aussies - thank God! :wink:

Example of cultural differences right there :

A better class of people???? Euggghhhhhhh!!!!

Never hear comments like that from Aussies - thank God! :wink:

really????.......i never hear Aussies say anything good about Oxford street.......and thank god there are better classes of people through out sydney....would be really bad if all the people were like they are in Oxford Street....you ever been to Oxford Street??.....

Guest proud2beaussie
I cannot imagine the Australian response if a copper tried to take their stubby off them like that

Actually it's illegal to drink on the street in most Australian cities and after dark in most places you will be relieved of your "stubby" and it's pretty strictly enforced,certainly is in most parts of Melbourne and Sydney.(I speak from experience of having a stubby of Strongbow taken off me in Sydney last year)

SES volunteers came to a place over the road last night to chainsaw a tree branch which had skewered a car in the drive way. They were there until midnight and I would guess that they all came from other jobs which they had been doing all day.

I spent twelve years in the SES and thoroughly enjoyed it,learnt lots of new skills including First Aid Certificates and the correct way to use a chainsaw etc,also met lots of great people,I would urge anyone who wants to be part of their community to join their local SES.

Guest 0405delboy
really????.......i never hear Aussies say anything good about Oxford street.......and thank god there are better classes of people through out sydney....would be really bad if all the people were like they are in Oxford Street....you ever been to Oxford Street??.....

Yes I've been to Oxford Street and lived in Woollomoolloo - have stated before that I think Sydney's quite a seedy s#!% hole I wouldnt 'class' (ugh) anyone. In Eastern suburbs you may find 'better classes' (ugh) but their s%#t still stinks!!

My point being that while Aussies acknowledge ferals, bogans and yobos, theyre not 'classed' (eww) as is done in UK!! Thank God!! No wonder people think you live in a bubble!

regards 0405delboy

Yes I've been to Oxford Street and lived in Woollomoolloo - have stated before that I think Sydney's quite a seedy s#!% hole I wouldnt 'class' (ugh) anyone. In Eastern suburbs you may find 'better classes' (ugh) but their s%#t still stinks!!

My point being that while Aussies acknowledge ferals, bogans and yobos, theyre not 'classed' (eww) as is done in UK!! Thank God!! No wonder people think you live in a bubble!

regards 0405delboy

Many thanks.....can cleary see what class your in....like it or not!

Guest proud2beaussie
Many thanks.....can cleary see what class your in....like it or not!

I reckon you're ALL class,0405delboy,(even if you don't like cricket!):laugh:

Typical example of one diffrence in Cultures.

I was round a customers house this morning She is from North Brisbane. Been round there a few times working lovley as she is she never ask's do you want a cuppa tea (drink of any sort).

Husband walks in local lad (Essex boy). Shakes my hand and ask's has she made me a drink. "No she never does" I said (he always asks) it's the Aussie way.

He said she's rude. She say's in aus you only get if you ask.

Must just be one out of the box, as I ALWAYS offer people who come to my house a drink, tradespeople or otherwise. Just because one person does this, does not mean that ALL AUSSIES ARE LIKE THIS.

Gross generalisation AGAIN.

Swear word, loudly!

Must just be one out of the box, as I ALWAYS offer people who come to my house a drink, tradespeople or otherwise. Just because one person does this, does not mean that ALL AUSSIES ARE LIKE THIS.

Gross generalisation AGAIN.

Swear word, loudly!

She said it she's an Aussie. It's a cultule thing not a chip on your shoulder thing "calm down love and have your self a cupper"

I just don't believe it is a 'culture thing', it is a personal experience thing. I recognise that one person had this experience, but this is not the norm here as it is not the norm in the UK. I have been to Brit's places in UK who have not offerered drink/meal either, it was just the way it was from that particular person. Other people would not let me out till I had a drink/meal. (Especially Scotland) Hard to generalize.

I just don't believe it is a 'culture thing', it is a personal experience thing. I recognise that one person had this experience, but this is not the norm here as it is not the norm in the UK. I have been to Brit's places in UK who have not offerered drink/meal either, it was just the way it was from that particular person. Other people would not let me out till I had a drink/meal. (Especially Scotland) Hard to generalize.

When I worked in Qld I would say 95% of the time I was not offerd a drink of any Kind

Ok maybe it is a personal thing. Hear I'm offerd a drink maybe 95% of the time. I have 2 Australian customers and they just don't offer. Kylie nearly all the time gives me Eggs from the the chickens she has out the back. I'm not saying it's a rude thing as they are both generly niced people who I like

Could it be a "Just do the job you Pomie B'stard":jiggy: thing?

Guest earlswood

Why does everyone go to bed so early in Australia…I know the TV is garbage but why in bed by 9 , they just go to work go to bed go to work, could it be that it gets dark so early?

Also no one seems to smile much in Australia’ have you noticed that…so gloomy in the shops and in the workplace.

Why do they also eat so much junk food? Is it because there is a fast food takeaway on every corner in Perth. Then again I was guilty of that as by the time I left work the bloody shops were shut…..shops closing early really is a pain.

Why does the ale and beer and lager taste so disgusting in Australia? Why can’t they just follow British or German recipes.

Why have aussies got such a childish sense of humour…they are lost when a Brit comes out with his dry sense of humour or a witty comeback.

Why have Aussies got such large heads and massive teeth?

Why are aussie kids so fat?

Why do aussies not care about their personal hygiene as much as Brits?

Why do Aussie women look so bloody scruffy in the supermarkets in their pyjamas and their hair looking like they have been dragged backwards through a hedge.

Why do aussie supermarkets smell like stale cabbages.

Why do aussie shout instead of talking.

Why do aussie refuse to queue and would push a granny out of the way to get to the head of the queue.

Why do aussies play the worst game in the world in tight little shorts and all of them seem to have such skinny legs.

Why does everyone go to bed so early in Australia…I know the TV is garbage but why in bed by 9 , they just go to work go to bed go to work, could it be that it gets dark so early?

Also no one seems to smile much in Australia’ have you noticed that…so gloomy in the shops and in the workplace.

Why do they also eat so much junk food? Is it because there is a fast food takeaway on every corner in Perth. Then again I was guilty of that as by the time I left work the bloody shops were shut…..shops closing early really is a pain.

Why does the ale and beer and lager taste so disgusting in Australia? Why can’t they just follow British or German recipes.

Why have aussies got such a childish sense of humour…they are lost when a Brit comes out with his dry sense of humour or a witty comeback.

Why have Aussies got such large heads and massive teeth?

Why are aussie kids so fat?

Why do aussies not care about their personal hygiene as much as Brits?

Why do Aussie women look so bloody scruffy in the supermarkets in their pyjamas and their hair looking like they have been dragged backwards through a hedge.

Why do aussie supermarkets smell like stale cabbages.

Why do aussie shout instead of talking.

Why do aussie refuse to queue and would push a granny out of the way to get to the head of the queue.

Why do aussies play the worst game in the world in tight little shorts and all of them seem to have such skinny legs.

Earlswood, is this post your reflection of all of oz, or just of Perth? andy

Earlswood, is this post your reflection of all of oz, or just of Perth? andy

Not all Oz, just mainland australia and the surrounding islands

private chat room is it?? :huh:

No not a private chatroom, but obviously I was asking earlswood due to his previous post, unless of course you can speak on his behalf. andy

Guest earlswood
Well then that has to be the rudest post I have seen. andy

How long have you been on BIO...I have been far ruder than that:cool:

No not a private chatroom, but obviously I was asking earlswood due to his previous post, unless of course you can speak on his behalf. andy

whatever.jpg

Archived