getting my UK drivers licence changed to a VIC one?

iain

Hi Iain

You need to contact your nearest VicRoads and make an appointment. It doesn't take long and you are just given a bog standard eye test before they take your photo and your money. You can either have a 3 year license or a 10 year one. I can't remember off the top of my head how much it was. I'm sure someone else will know.

T x

Australia has a licence exchange agreement with UK so you just rock up to your local road traffic office with your licence and hand it over, maybe take an eye test and get your picture taken and fork out for your 10 year licence (bit of a swizz that one because your UK one is going to be for much longer!). Shouldnt be hard and if you need to go in the opposite direction you do the same thing.

Yeah Iain, like Quoll says, you can just rock up, that's what we did. We dropped lucky and the place was empty, but we were told that had they been busy, we would have either been in for a long wait, or had to make an appointment for a later date. Best to ring and get an appointment really.

T x

Guest The Pom Queen

Hi Iain

They will ask you to provide proof of address in Australia, this can either be a tenancy agreement or if you are renting a short term furnished house ask them to write a letter for you to hand over.

A 3 year license is $45.30 and a 10 year is $154.

Guest carolans

Hi Iain,

Just really confirming what others have said - I got my license last week. I booked an appointment a week earlier and it took me 30 mins from arriving to leaving. Glad I had an appointment as it was heaving!

I had a letter from the bank with my address on - this was OK as proof of address - and don't forget both parts if your UK license if you have a photo one. (And now I'm useless - cos I can't remember whether I took my passport as well!!!)

Anyway good luck and watch out for the big number displaying your month and year of birth on the back!

Zoë

Hi Iain,

I did this last week, I called to make an appointment (the number was on the website) & was given an appointment for later that day. In & out withing 20 minutes clutching my lovely shiny Aussie driving licence. Never known efficiency like it in the UK!!!!!!!!

Jaq

Archived