plant fitter......job dilemas

julie and gary

Hi there

I was woundering if there any other plant fitters out there migrating to oz.

Does any1 have any idear if there is much work at the moment, and if the trade has been affected much by the economy,

Im so worried about going out there without a job to go to, but I dont know if il be able to get a job before I go being all the way in the uk :unsure:

any help would be much appreciated

thanks

Guest BRISSYBOUND

Hello, I served my time as a plant fitter but moved into other areas in Uk, out here you'll just be classed as a diesel fitter here but your experience with hydraulics and things will get you further. I've had two interviews in the first week and people seem quite surprised when I say I do electrics and understand wiring diagrams. Money isn't as good as I thought (so far) but still better than Uk, mind you I was on very good rate in Uk, 12.50 an hour, been offered $24.77 and $25.50 so far and plenty of overtime. Not bad I suppose for a pom straight of the plane.

Try seek.com or the courier mail online for jobs.

Good luck Fred

Hello, I served my time as a plant fitter but moved into other areas in Uk, out here you'll just be classed as a diesel fitter here but your experience with hydraulics and things will get you further. I've had two interviews in the first week and people seem quite surprised when I say I do electrics and understand wiring diagrams. Money isn't as good as I thought (so far) but still better than Uk, mind you I was on very good rate in Uk, 12.50 an hour, been offered $24.77 and $25.50 so far and plenty of overtime. Not bad I suppose for a pom straight of the plane.

Try seek.com or the courier mail online for jobs.

Good luck Fred

Thanks for that,

I have been a bit worried about work with the econemy and all that, so Im hoping to get a job before I move out there, I would prefare not to go into the mines iv done that before and with having a young family I dont want to be spending alot of time away.

Im on a realy good rate of pay at the moment as well, dident think the pay was all that great in OZ, just going for the better life style.

So how would you compare work in oz to the uk

So how long have you been out there now,

Guest BRISSYBOUND
Thanks for that,

I have been a bit worried about work with the econemy and all that, so Im hoping to get a job before I move out there, I would prefare not to go into the mines iv done that before and with having a young family I dont want to be spending alot of time away.

Im on a realy good rate of pay at the moment as well, dident think the pay was all that great in OZ, just going for the better life style.

So how would you compare work in oz to the uk

So how long have you been out there now,

Can't really answer 1st question as the answer to 2nd question is two weeks, LOL and I've not got a job yet. Made a contact out here when we visited two years ago and from what he tells me ,if you've got the balls and intelligence to come out here in the first place, then you'll do alright here but apart from that it's suck it and see.

Hi there

Does any1 have any idear if there is much work at the moment, and if the trade has been affected much by the economy,

Im so worried about going out there without a job to go to, but I dont know if il be able to get a job before I go being all the way in the uk :unsure:

thanks

good question, i am a diesel fitter going in march 2009, went on recci in oct08

offered several jubs straight away BUT

from feed back of employees

mines suck up majority of young diesel apprenticies they work for 10 years

pay morgage off.

this leaves shortage of fitters in city ( where we old ones want to be age 42 )

if mines lay off staff on fifo they will flood into the city

the cities are suffering from the start of a recession so jobs reducing at the moment at least.

Its a big comitment to move your 1 ton snapon box and family out of comfort zone

but im hoping to find job

as you know we uk fitters do everthing mechanics, electrical, bodywork because

you have to so im sure we will fit in.

Saw a job advertised for diesel fitter

it said must have

diesel experience

work in confined areas

work under pressure ( i should have known then )

no fifo $100k a year

this sounds great

then found out

IT WAS ON A SUBMARINE (CRAP )

WHATCH OUT

Im thinking of opening garage in WA with people in same position (intrested )

beware of adverts that sounds too good to be true

many thanks

ian

Guest benedict1
Hi there

thanks

sorry couldn't resist saying... plant Fitter? - is that a bit like a Gardener? :biglaugh:

sorry couldn't resist saying... plant Fitter? - is that a bit like a Gardener? :biglaugh:

a little bit of information is always a dangerous thing

but well done not a bit but alot

because gardener is a very popular diesel engine used :laugh:

Guest Tony1963

Have you considered marine engineering gary?

I was out there in 88-89 on a working visa as a mechanical fitter. Although in oz was expected to do turning also. Did lots of maintenance work but then went into marine engineering and like megmor I ended up on a submarine for a company in fremantle. Lost 2 stone with the heat working in a dry dock with a fan pumping 'cool' air in. Also worked stripping butterfly valves out of oil tankers and repairing them. Good money at the time tho. T ps where are you thinking of moving to?ony

good question, i am a diesel fitter going in march 2009, went on recci in oct08

offered several jubs straight away BUT

from feed back of employees

mines suck up majority of young diesel apprenticies they work for 10 years

pay morgage off.

this leaves shortage of fitters in city ( where we old ones want to be age 42 )

if mines lay off staff on fifo they will flood into the city

the cities are suffering from the start of a recession so jobs reducing at the moment at least.

Its a big comitment to move your 1 ton snapon box and family out of comfort zone

but im hoping to find job

as you know we uk fitters do everthing mechanics, electrical, bodywork because

you have to so im sure we will fit in.

Saw a job advertised for diesel fitter

it said must have

diesel experience

work in confined areas

work under pressure ( i should have known then )

no fifo $100k a year

this sounds great

then found out

IT WAS ON A SUBMARINE (CRAP )

WHATCH OUT

Im thinking of opening garage in WA with people in same position (intrested )

beware of adverts that sounds too good to be true

many thanks

ian

Thanks for that,

I will be on the look out

Iv been on seek.com and all the job websites and there still seems to be quite a few jobs for fitter.

Am I right in thinking that this area of things hasent realy been affected as much as the other trades ie (joiner and builder)

We sent our application off 6 months ago and partner is eager for it to come, wants to pack up and move stright away, but im kind of hoping that it comes a lot later give it time for the econemy to pick up within the year you have to get out there.

Im planning on moving around the east coast (brisbane) if I have to work away I will but I will try my hardest to avoid this as I have a young family

i think it will tighten up but not as bad as building trade

i too am comfortable at work and could wait

but wifes do drive applications

i for one am not doing fifo

i would rather do garage purchase option

there a lot of mobile mechanics around wa aswell

incidentaly everyone pays approx 25 to 30 dollars per hour 60k per annum

on fifo 100k per year but in higher tax bracket ( work out final takehome )

see what happens after all if it goes tits up

blame wife

for rushing you

i think all wifes should have to remove a crankshaft out off a 60 tonner before saying you will be fine, after all its not raining in wa

thanks ian

i think it will tighten up but not as bad as building trade

i too am comfortable at work and could wait

but wifes do drive applications

i for one am not doing fifo

i would rather do garage purchase option

there a lot of mobile mechanics around wa aswell

incidentaly everyone pays approx 25 to 30 dollars per hour 60k per annum

on fifo 100k per year but in higher tax bracket ( work out final takehome )

see what happens after all if it goes tits up

blame wife

for rushing you

i think all wifes should have to remove a crankshaft out off a 60 tonner before saying you will be fine, after all its not raining in wa

thanks ian

So are you set on wa then.

I did hear that the econemy is alot worse that side then any other.

It will be strange dropping so low in money, im originaly form Dublin where I was realy well paid, I moved over to the uk to be with my partner I was offerd 4 jobs within the first week of looking so it was only a case of deciding deciding which one to take. im well paid now but did take a major drop comared to the irish wage.

Now it looks like im going to be dropping again...People probebly think im mad lol.

So if your going on march It would be nice to keep in touch, you can give us the heads up on the work

• 1 month later...
Guest plantman

Hi mate just come back from oz .I am a Plant fitter to and its getting bad there to .A lot of the fitters are comeing back from the mines and takeing up wot they call town jobs I have spend a lot of time over there.in the last 25 years and i have never seen it as bad I no a lot of lads i have work,t with in NZ and thay all seem to be in OZ now looking for work . and thay are all types of construction workers I was there last time for 9 month just got back 2 weeks ago . had been working on the new Airport inThialand then tuck the concreet train and pumps over to OZ to rebuild and go on a big job in brisben but its all come to a stop . was talking to a mate over there who i have none for 20 plus year . And he has the shout for a big muck shift out fit there and as been on at me for years to work for him . not ment wrong but i am not bad at wot i do and us Brits are good all rounders and they do love that . so thinking to my self well not much going in the uk i will have the crack with are Jack over the start . well he sat me down with a few cold beers and said well you no the money is not wot it was BIG LAD and we went round the house,s for a bit and then he said i would love to give you a job . but it would not be rite when thay is fitters from OZ out of work .And you no deep down i can not fault him . shame its not the same in the uk

• 3 years later...

In reply to your jobs dilema, there are jobs available in Australia for fitters. For those of you who know me from livethedreamaustralia.com will know we assist our clients to migrate to Australia. Our services include securing you a job with a sponsoring employer, processing your 457 visa and managing your relocation for a fee; however with some of the vacancies we have uncovered we now include in our fees the following:

Flights for you and family,

8 weeks accommodation,

Visa sponsorship

Relocation service

We are looking for mechanical fitters able to do the following: maintain, service and repair either as a field service fitter or branch fitter, diesel and petrol engines in trucks, vans, utility vehicles, plant and equipment such as generators, pumps, compactors, compressors, diggers, excavators etc. Ideally time served or 7 years experience in the plant & equipment hire industry or a field service or workshop based environment.

We have currently 43 position available in Queensland and Western Australia. Interviews are being held in Dublin & London during April 2012.

For more information please contact tony@livethedreamaustralia.com or call Tony Mooney on 020 3137 3161

Archived