Mobile phones (again)

Guest mbriody

Guest mbriody

I did a search and most of the threads are quite old so I thought I'd try and get an up to date reply.

My wife will be coming out first in March and we have a handset which will work so I'm looking at a SIM-only deal. She's not too savvy on this so I'm looking for a simple option for the short term, preferably that we can set up before we go out. Obviously she will be doing a lot of calling back to me in the UK.

Moving Planet have a link Talk Down Under which will give you a number before you go and a number of tariffs:

Talk Down Under - Mobile, Handsets, Cell, Phones, Nokia, Motorola, Service, Australia, International, Travel, Discount

I'm considering the $45 / month deal which charges 30c / min to mobiles, fixed and international and 48c per international text.

Is this a reasonable deal?

I did a search and most of the threads are quite old so I thought I'd try and get an up to date reply.

My wife will be coming out first in March and we have a handset which will work so I'm looking at a SIM-only deal. She's not too savvy on this so I'm looking for a simple option for the short term, preferably that we can set up before we go out. Obviously she will be doing a lot of calling back to me in the UK.

Moving Planet have a link Talk Down Under which will give you a number before you go and a number of tariffs:

Talk Down Under - Mobile, Handsets, Cell, Phones, Nokia, Motorola, Service, Australia, International, Travel, Discount

I'm considering the $45 / month deal which charges 30c / min to mobiles, fixed and international and 48c per international text.

Is this a reasonable deal?

I think she would probably be better to wait until she gets here. It is dead simple to get set up with a pay as you go sim with any one of the major telcos - I am not sure about the international calling from mobile though, these days most telcos dont include international calls in their cap and I dont know whether international calls are included in payg either. The best thing for calling o/s is a sort of calling card - you can get them from newsagents, internet cafes etc where you buy a card which gives you a certain amount of credit then you call a local number, input the number on the card and then dial your international number - basically you get the international call for the cost of a local call plus the cents a minute of credit from your calling card.

48c a text is more than I pay for international sms with Virgin - 35c for me. This is the Virgin rate FYI and will give you something to compare https://www.virginmobile.com.au/rates/internationalcalls.html Select prepaid mobile in the service drop down box.

Edited to say, if she is going to be able to access broadband, then Skype is going to be absolutely the cheapest - computer to computer is free. Computer to landline does cost a few cents - only problem can be the quality if your connection is a bit slow

Archived