Sellling house - has anyone managed to do it?

froggirl

We put ours on the Market in August last year, and got an offer on the 9th of September we finally exchanged contracts last Monday 20 weeks after the offer and we will be moving out next weekend into our rental. We applied for our 175 CSL visa 4 months ago so now we wait...............................:swoon:We only dropped by £5000 under asking price.

• Replies 3.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
We put ours on the Market in August last year, and got an offer on the 9th of September we finally exchanged contracts last Monday 20 weeks after the offer and we will be moving out next weekend into our rental. We applied for our 175 CSL visa 4 months ago so now we wait...............................:swoon:We only dropped by £5000 under asking price.

Well done on the house sale, at least its another hurdle over with, good luck on your move

Best wishes

Tania X

Guest chickyp73

hi there, we recently sold our house but it took us approximately 9 months, despite the credit crunch we did have lots of people looking around but we found that there is a lot on the market right now and people can afford to be picky. We dropped the price around £40,000 over the 9 months and realised to make the move we had to sell - we are pleased with the sale and now we can start to think about moving on!! Good luck and I hope it goes well.

Guest brg1200

If you are thinking of renting your places out rather than selling up it would be worth checking the less generous buy to let deals out there on the market now. I tried to calculate if renting it was better than selling it, but to convert my excellent domestic mortgage to a BTL whacked up the mortgage costs prohibitively.

Not sure what the rules and implications of leaving it on a domestic mortgage and renting it out would be. Was tempted, could've made it a cash flow positive investment if we'd been able to hang onto the domestic mortgage. Banks are bastards.

Hi all,

we have just put our house back on the market after renting it out for the last 6 months. Had problems with tenant so we would not like to rent it again! It has been on the market for only a week but we have got 2 veiwings shortly (finger crossed). We did have to lower our asking price but thats something that had to be done if we want to sell. We are thinking that if we dont have much luck then we might enter it into a house auction. We would be able to put a reserve price on so that we dont have to sell for any lower that we need to get and also the sale goes through a lot quicker than selling through an estate agent. it is one other option!!

hi tania,

my OH has bought quite a few properties through auction, mostly as renovations projects, but lots of people attend looking for good family homes. because the process is alot quicker it is a good option for a lot of people. Once the auctioneer has accepted an offer the sale is binding and most go through within 28 days. Also as long as you put a reserve price on the property then it cant be sold for less than that price. Obviously auctions arent for everyone and is does depend on the people looking to buy on the day.

lee

Thanks for that Lee, its certainly an option, we have had our house on the market since July 08 and we have had at least 10 viewings with another one booked next week, but i don't know what people expect, we've really reduced the price, and nothing major wants doing to it, but we just can't seem to get that one person, so we need to make a decision sooner rather than later on what to do

Tania X

Guest yorkshirepud

This is our problem too and its getting me down! We have had house on market since July last year and have had - wait for it - 3 viewings!! We really want to sell, we can use the capital and want a cleak break etc. We have reduced price by £10k so far and obviously would be prepared to take even less now. We are going to try the internet auctions at the end of Feb if nothing doing. We do have someone who has said they would rent it off us, so thats our last resort should it come to it. Good luck everyone in the same boat!

Guest benedict1
Thanks for that Lee, its certainly an option, we have had our house on the market since July 08 and we have had at least 10 viewings with another one booked next week, but i don't know what people expect, we've really reduced the price, and nothing major wants doing to it, but we just can't seem to get that one person, so we need to make a decision sooner rather than later on what to do

Tania X

Know how you feel!!

We put uor house on the market February 08. (175 Visa granted July 08) We have had 4 viewings!!

Nothing wants doing, had extension 3 years ago, nice area. Dropped price by 20k.

E/A rang last wenesday for a viewing - first in 10 months! Guess what? They didn't show!!!!!!!!! :arghh:

P.S Anyone want to buy a house? lol

Guest benedict1
This is our problem too and its getting me down! We have had house on market since July last year and have had - wait for it - 3 viewings!! We really want to sell, we can use the capital and want a cleak break etc. We have reduced price by £10k so far and obviously would be prepared to take even less now. We are going to try the internet auctions at the end of Feb if nothing doing. We do have someone who has said they would rent it off us, so thats our last resort should it come to it. Good luck everyone in the same boat!

You live in York - lovely area! I'm surprised yours isn't snapped up!

Good Luck!

Know how you feel!!

We put uor house on the market February 08. (175 Visa granted July 08) We have had 4 viewings!!

Nothing wants doing, had extension 3 years ago, nice area. Dropped price by 20k.

E/A rang last wenesday for a viewing - first in 10 months! Guess what? They didn't show!!!!!!!!! :arghh:

P.S Anyone want to buy a house? lol

So sorry your viewers never showed up, thats so annoying, i just get fed up with tidying around all the time, its so difficult with 4 children to keep dead tidy. I am going to put an advert in our local newspaper and see if that brings in any potential buyers, i hate this situation.

Tania X

Guest willdavis

Just stumbled upon this thread, very sorry to hear that very few are having luck selling houses. We had our first viewing yesterday after being on the market for 3 months. It's just nice to get someone through the door!! Has anybody sold recently? I need some hopeful news.

Guest brg1200

Starting to count my blessings that we're in an "entry level" part of north London. 2 and 3 bed Victorian terraces. There's zillions of em but not many realy nicely done-up ones. Ours went coz it is near immaculate. Took a hit on the price - expecting them to drop further with the news being what it is.

Guest WARDStoOZ

Hi all...!

Well, thankfully I've noticed plenty of 'SOLD' signs around locally this week though there's still plenty of houses that can't be shifted by the looks of it,

The market's definately looking better here this month than at the end of last year but having said that maybe people sold with poor prices as they were to afraid to say no to an offer... who knows???

Dan xx

Guest sanders family

We've just sold ours for the 3 time got to wait for survey, so fingers crosed they dont reduce it anymore. Then we have to wait till may till we can sign contracts as the guy has got the mortage but his deposit is tied up till april in a high interest account. So it is still a long waiting game and then they can still change the offer OMG it does your head in. GOOD LUCK TO YOU ALL x

Guest Cane Family

Hi all,

We put our house on the market last week, we have had 30 viewers and 20 offers all over the asking price. WE WISH!!

We have put ours on the market at what we feel is a competitive price for the house type and area, only time will tell.

Unfortunately this is something we cant control ourselves.

Good luck to you all who are also trying to sell their houses.

Regards

Steve & Adele

We've just sold ours for the 3 time got to wait for survey, so fingers crosed they dont reduce it anymore. Then we have to wait till may till we can sign contracts as the guy has got the mortage but his deposit is tied up till april in a high interest account. So it is still a long waiting game and then they can still change the offer OMG it does your head in. GOOD LUCK TO YOU ALL x

Fingers crossed for you, lets hope it gets all signed and sealed this time.

We have another viewing on Saturday, this must be our 11 or 12 viewings now, its a nightmare

Good luck

Tania X:cry:

Guest WARDStoOZ
Fingers crossed for you, lets hope it gets all signed and sealed this time.

We have another viewing on Saturday, this must be our 11 or 12 viewings now, its a nightmare

Good luck

Tania X:cry:

All the best to you too Tania! Let's hope this is the one for you!!!

Dan xxx :hug:

Guest WARDStoOZ

Everything's crossed for you all...!!! :yes:

Dan xx :smile:

All the best to you too Tania! Let's hope this is the one for you!!!

Dan xxx :hug:

Thanks Dan, i know i should be grateful that we are getting viewings, its just when it eats in to your weekend, my hubby tends to work most weekends, i'm working Saturday mornings, then Arwen has swimming lessons on Saturdays, and then you are juggling everything around to accommodate people who probably won't even buy the house anyway, and making sure everything is ship shape before they come to look.

Are you still busy decorating your house????:jiggy:

Tania XX

Guest WARDStoOZ
Thanks Dan, i know i should be grateful that we are getting viewings, its just when it eats in to your weekend, my hubby tends to work most weekends, i'm working Saturday mornings, then Arwen has swimming lessons on Saturdays, and then you are juggling everything around to accommodate people who probably won't even buy the house anyway, and making sure everything is ship shape before they come to look.

Are you still busy decorating your house????:jiggy:

Tania XX

Hi Tania! I completely agree, especially when people have the cheek to be no-shows it must be awful! Yes, busy decorating here, my mum's still got to decide what colour she wants to paint her bedroom walls so we'll see how long it takes lol!

There definatley seems to be more and more people interested in viewing houses this month from what I've heard so hopefully things are looking a bit better at the mo.

All the best,

Dan xx

Guest littlesarah

'Not sure what the rules and implications of leaving it on a domestic mortgage and renting it out would be.'

Hi brg 1200

Some lenders will allow you to rent out your house on an owner-occupier mortgage. I was thinking of changing ours to HSBC's discounted rate, and when I phoned to explain that we may wish to let it out rather than sell, they said that as long as we'd had the mortgage at least 6 months they'd likely allow it. The lady I spoke to said that the main concern is that the property was bought with the intention of it being your main residence, and that at the moment selling is so difficult they understand that some people don't have much choice but to rent out their home rather than sell it.

I'd say, make sure you ask your lender - they might surprise you!

Good luck everyone

Sarah x

Archived