Sellling house - has anyone managed to do it?

froggirl

The one big thing that we must do is sell our house before the planning really starts. We haven't listed it yet, but things don't look good at the moment with the whole credit crisis.

Has anyone managed to sell their house recently? If so, how did you make yours stand out from the others in your area? Did you need to drop the price a lot to get it sold? There are lots of houses on our estate for sale or to rent and they don't seem to be moving at all.

Thanks

KJ

• Replies 3.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Guest kirstig123

Hi, Ours has been on the market since October and we have had 2 viewings! Might have to rent ours out. I know others in our village which are on for various amounts and not one has sold, nor had any interest. Its a bad time of year as it is, but yes the crunch isn't helping at all. We are developers and completed a chapel conversion into 2 houses last may - they too have had no interest, so we are renting them out until the market improves. We are just about to put in for a 175 visa (engineeers australia permitting?!?) so would like to cut ties before we go. I dont think it can stay this way for much longer, people will have to move / banks will have to start lending again....or maybe I am just hoping!!

Have you considered renting out your property??

Good luck with it, I hope you sell quickly!!

Guest paul1966

Hi ares is sold we had it on for 225 and sold for 212 i think we are very lucky. Its only been on the market for 8 weeks .

Flying to Brisbane 26th of Feb.

Cheers Paul.

Thanks Kirstig123. We would much prefer to sell and leave with a clean slate than rent it out again. We have had awful tenants before and found the real estate agents useless when we were living in Australia before, we were on the phone at least once a month. We don't have anyone close enough to leave with the responsibility of sorting things out if it all goes wrong. OH is talking about waiting until the market picks up, but we're really ready to start planning now.

KJ

Thanks Kirstig123. We would much prefer to sell and leave with a clean slate than rent it out again. We have had awful tenants before and found the real estate agents useless when we were living in Australia before, we were on the phone at least once a month. We don't have anyone close enough to leave with the responsibility of sorting things out if it all goes wrong. OH is talking about waiting until the market picks up, but we're really ready to start planning now.

KJ

Put it on for your buying price you are not losing house priices in the uk were massively overiflated its like anything else a diamond worth millions but in the desert its worthless compared to water

Mally

We've had 6 viewings since September.

The last people said they'd noticed that a lot of property had recently been taken off the market and it meant that they struggled to find things in our area to view.

We'll know by the end of March if the market is going to pick up.

Death, Debt or Divorce - Means that someone will buy our place.

Guest kirstig123
Hi ares is sold we had it on for 225 and sold for 212 i think we are very lucky. Its only been on the market for 8 weeks .

Cheers Paul.

Thats excellent news, cross fingers it will all pick up soon. It's probably a bit of luck, but I am sure it's not just that.

Good luck in Brisbane.

Guest kirstig123
We would much prefer to sell and leave with a clean slate than rent it out again.

KJ

Dont blame you at all, Thats what we want to do. Where are planning on going?

Guest WARDStoOZ

Cheers Paul.

Hi Paul! Congrats on selling your house! Do you mind me asking where you are in the U.K.???

Lots of Luck with the move and all of your plans...!!!

Dan :-)

Dont blame you at all, Thats what we want to do. Where are planning on going?

I am actually moving back home, OH is the one properly emigrating! We're going to Canberra, where I have lived before, although I'm a Perth girl originally. I was young, single and had four suitcases 8 years ago, so this feels like a huge move this time!

Cheers KJ

Guest Dionne and Rickie

We applied in Oct, we havn't put our house on the market yet we didn't see the point if it wasn't going to sell (too much stress). As soon as we get conformation that we have a case officer then we will put it on, that way we get a year to sell it wich makes more sence and hopefully the market will be slightly better.

Hope you manage to sell your house, we have had another viewing for ours today, and we had 3 viewings last week, so i thought that was a positive sign, if we can't sell ours, will have to think about renting it out, thats if we can afford to do it, so much uncertainty at the moment

Tania X

Guest littlesarah

Hello All

Our house has been on since August. We've had 7 viewings, with 2 of those in the last 2 days. Our agent tells me that they've been quite busy since they re-opened after Christmas, & they certainly have several sold stc signs in the window at the moment! (They weren't all listed as such before Christmas).

It's a difficult time, & I think asking price needs to be competitive, but it's not going to be the only factor that gets the house to sell. Our house would've sold in November, but the prospective buyers couldn't quite manage to get the finance they needed.

Good luck, everyone. We too are thinking of letting the house if we can't sell; but I'm still praying for a sale before we leave!

Sarah x

Guest ashmalog

we have been on since oct and not a jot. e/a says we have been priced too high so dropped house price to what we paid for it 2 years ago. got visa before xmas. really getting depressed at the prospect of house prices dropping more this year and need to get to oz asap. e/a states that house prices are to continue to drop 15-20% by end of the year - we will def be in negative equity.

Guest littlesarah

I think there are definitely regional variations in all this. Things were completely dead here, from October to before Christmas. I get the feeling that some of the first-time buyers are back looking which may start things moving a bit.

We live in a small village with one EA based here (others are 8-12 miles away), so the market's never been huge, but the EA certainly looks busier when I go past.

Hope things pick up, Ashmalog, where you are. I'm sure you've thought of eveything, but would renting your house cover the mortgage? I know the general thought at the mo is that rents are comng down due to increased availability, but in our village demand has outstripped supply as people have decided not to buy until the market settles. Yet in Norwich (20 min by bus or train), rents are definitely coming down. We live in funny times...

Still hoping & praying,

Sarah

Hope you manage to sell your house, we have had another viewing for ours today, and we had 3 viewings last week, so i thought that was a positive sign, if we can't sell ours, will have to think about renting it out, thats if we can afford to do it, so much uncertainty at the moment

Tania X

Hi Tania, 3 viewings last week is pretty positive and seems a good sign for you. I took my house off the market last summer after the market took a turn for the worse and now plan to put it back on in april. Am hoping to see an upturn by then. Good luck with your house.andy

Guest prettyinpink

We put ours on the market just before we came out, priced it really competatively (i.e. quite abit below market value) and agreed a price after a week on the market, The sale proceeded while we were in Oz and all completed in Dec. We did lose money, but we had to cut our losses.

You have to do what's best for your own situation. Good luck!

Hi

Yes we put our house on the market in November and had one viewing. the couple said they loved it and it was just what they wanted........that was the last we heard.

I spoke with the EA and levelled with him that we wanted to migrate and do it quickly. He told us to price our property ahead of the market which we did. We went to offer on xmas eve. The surveyor came last monday and said that he is having to downgrade valuations because prices are dropping that quickly and as a result some sales are being pulled. Fingers crossed ours is worth it!!

To our benefit our buyers had a sale that fell through and is currently living with the inlaws and they have a young family and want to stay in this area.

That said we dropped about 30k in all which means its beans on toast in Oz for a while and we will not be able to leave with a clean break and will have to arrange to pay car loans etc from Oz

If we had'nt have done it now we probably would have not done it at all.

So so far money to one side all going according to plan, visa granted 15th Jan, waiting for date to exchange contracts, sort a flat out for daughter, who is stayig to finish education and then off we go.

Our timing I feel is good, our high street is full of either empty shops of charity shops, and even they are having 50 per cent off sales!

I do hope that all those who are dependent on a house sale have the luck that we have had so far, despite difficult times, has been said before better to be poor in the sunshine!!

Ken

Guest ianpyne

Our house(in poole) is on the market just, no viewings yet but the market seems to be picking up here as there are several houses within a 1/2 mile radius that have sold since Xmas. We need to sell before we can go as all our equity is in the house,hoping to clear 100k after sale.

Guest Darwin's coming too

hi

Ours is going on in a couple of weeks. We're hopeful of selling as a similar house to ours sold in december after 3 weeks. We won't get as much as we'd hoped but we know that we're in a good position as bought it 7 years ago so have equity still.

we've decided that if it doesn't sell or a sale falls through after our june departure time then we'll make our solicitors power of attorney and sell from Oz as we intend to live with family then rent for a while. So we won't need our equity straight away.

good luck all house sellers !

lisa

Guest littlesarah

Well, we've just turned down an offer of £148k, which is £21k below asking price. We are resigned to the fact that we won't achieve even the price we paid for the house (before we spent several thousand on a new bathroom & kitchen), but I think we should achieve a bit more than that. They're first time buyers with mortgage agreed & would prefer 8-10 weeks for completion (which would fit in well with our plans).

For now I'm practically sitting on top of the phone will the agent to ring back with another offer!

Wish me luck, chaps!!

Tally ho...

Archived