Setting up Business in Oz

Guest woodsies11

Guest woodsies11

Hi

What a great site, I wish there was stuff like this when I came to Oz in 1981. I'd just like to say to any new migrants, welcome, it is a great country with many opportunities. ( Great! this site has spell check ). The first 6 months to a year are always the hardest, just stick with it, stay focused and you will get there.

There has always been an unwritten "law" that we Poms look out for our own, no matter which end of the country we come from. To the point though.

If you are thinking of starting your own business in Oz, have a look at this website Business & Entrepreneurs Asia Pacific Group (BEAP Group) (Brisbane) - Meetup.com

You should be able to copy and paste the link. Like this site it's free to register the meet up and the idea is to get like minded entrepreneurs ( that's got to have been a French word! ) together. it doesn't hurt to look and register, it may be that you have something to offer too.

I'm in Brisbane, originally from Gillingham Kent and I'm happy to answer any questions and give advice from new or potential migrants.

All the best

Mick

Guest hunter7

Having just gone over the age for fast track visa, i was wondering if you know of anyone that has sucessfully been able to get sponsorship to work in Australia, other than opening their own business? My wife, daughter and i wish to relocate very soon, so need some advice. Rgds Phil

Guest woodsies11

Phil

Mate I've got to be honest, I'm not one of the experts that roam this site. Do you have any skills? How old are you? Do you have any relatives? Where are you looking to settle? I'm sure these are all questions that you've heard before and probably can't give the desired answers. I know many people from Africa come into Oz via NZ. It appears to be easier to gain entry and then travel between the country's is relatively easy. Stay in Oz for 3 years and apply for citizenship. sounds easy! All I know is, that I know of people that have got in that way.

All the best

Mick

Hi hunter

we are in the same position as you just over the 45 only by a year but the trouble that causes we are not dead yet are we ????????

OUR ONLY OPTION is gona be a sponcer so heres hoping everybody on this site is so great and do there best to point you in the right direction

so good luck to you i understand what you are going through

deez

Guest hunter7

Hi Woodsies & Deez, thanks for your comments, i wish Oz was like Nz would get Visa no problem, feel like a leper. I have written to loads of companies so hope to find a sponsor.Have been to see emigration experts and my professional skills are what are needed, i'm multi lingual French, German Spanish, Catalan and bit of Japanese. Also have years of experience in International markets. I am 47 now so not ready to retire for at least another 20 years. I know this is not a job search engine but you never know who you may be reading that needs multi lingual export person. Good luck as well, Phil

Guest woodsies11

Phil

I still think that entry via NZ is a good option, I'm not sure what their requirements are once you get a visa to NZ though. Got to be honest though wages and conditions in NZ are crap compared to OZ.

Have you thought about getting into the tourism industry? With a little bit of grooming, I reckon someone with multi lingual skills would be highly sought after. Asian languages are in demand but al of the languages you speak would be very handy. Obviously tourism is big in Oz, it might mean doing a course for a year or something, I don't know. My sister-in-law works for Queensland Tourism, I'll ask her for her thoughts. Be patient though, she only gets back from India tonight and I'm guessing she'll want a couple of days to recover.

Regards

Mick

Guest hunter7

Mick, thanks mate, very kind of you. Let your sisiter in law have a sleep. I would not mind retraining if that is what i had to do.Kind regards Phil

Guest benedict1
Hi

What a great site, I wish there was stuff like this when I came to Oz in 1981. I'd just like to say to any new migrants, welcome, it is a great country with many opportunities. ( Great! this site has spell check ). The first 6 months to a year are always the hardest, just stick with it, stay focused and you will get there.

There has always been an unwritten "law" that we Poms look out for our own, no matter which end of the country we come from. To the point though.

If you are thinking of starting your own business in Oz, have a look at this website Business & Entrepreneurs Asia Pacific Group (BEAP Group) (Brisbane) - Meetup.com

You should be able to copy and paste the link. Like this site it's free to register the meet up and the idea is to get like minded entrepreneurs ( that's got to have been a French word! ) together. it doesn't hurt to look and register, it may be that you have something to offer too.

I'm in Brisbane, originally from Gillingham Kent and I'm happy to answer any questions and give advice from new or potential migrants.

All the best

Mick

interesting link. Thank you very much!

I am in the 'thinking about it' stage of setting up a Baby Massage business but I'm not in Oz yet! Got the PR Visa but can't sell house in UK.

Will add link to favourites. :smile:

Guest woodsies11

Hi Bendict

Good luck with the sale of the house. I know things are tough there and it may be difficult to get a good price on your house in that market. There is some comfort however, as the market over here is also falling, so with the favourable exchange rate you should still enjoy good buying conditions. I know that there are members in the BEAP meet up that are masseurs, gym owners and doctors focusing in the "well being " area. You may still find that you are able to save much valuable time, making connections. The general idea, is to form a "well being" network, that will be able to cater for broad spectrum of needs. This in essence is the objective of BEAP, which is common with most areas of business. They also offer a paid membership area, which offers many services ( which you will need ) if you decide to pursue with your business venture.

Regards

Mick

ps. What is it with this spell check? When I went to school, the English spelled favor favour!! Mind you, that was a while ago, but the Oxford dictionary still lists it that way, phew!

Having just gone over the age for fast track visa, i was wondering if you know of anyone that has sucessfully been able to get sponsorship to work in Australia, other than opening their own business? My wife, daughter and i wish to relocate very soon, so need some advice. Rgds Phil

In general getting sponsorship is difficult, especially in this current economic climate. Many 457Visa holders are losing their jobs and battle to get a new sponsor. While not impossible, what I attempted to do is helping prospective migrant with market research information to enable you to look at various other career options. See Perth Business Services - Home

Another possibility is to purchase a small profitable business or equity in a business and obtain a 132Visa. I have a few opportunities available.

Guest woodsies11

Hunter7/Phil

Hi mate. I spoke to my sister in law on Sunday and she seems to think that you'd have no trouble getting work as a tour guide. Obviously you'd need some training and I'd have thought that to have any chance of getting to Oz you'd have to complete that over there. She mentioned a site over here Australian Tour Guides - tour Australia with qualified IATG Australian tour guides

I've had a look at it, I'm not sure how great it is but still may give you some useful information. There are also links to some tour guides, they are all situated in Sydney ( I'm not sure where you are planning to migrate to ). I think I'd first explore the course and qualification requirements, then decide if that's the way you want to go.

Obviously I don't know how you're sitting financially, nor do I need to know. Starting a business, maybe as a translator for businesses, i don't know. Why not join the free Beap meet up site: Business & Entrepreneurs Asia Pacific Group (BEAP Group) (Brisbane) - Meetup.com

Post your details, maybe outlining both of your ideas for migrating or at least the skills you possess and see if you get any responses. Because the members are entrepreneurial by nature, they may be able to offer you other alternatives. I hope this is of some help to you, keep in touch, I'm always happy to help, if I can.

All the best.

Mick

Guest hunter7

Hi Mick, was away at weekend only got this answer this morning, thanks for that, i will certainly check it out, kind regards Phil

Guest benedict1
Hi Bendict

Good luck with the sale of the house. I know things are tough there and it may be difficult to get a good price on your house in that market. There is some comfort however, as the market over here is also falling, so with the favourable exchange rate you should still enjoy good buying conditions. I know that there are members in the BEAP meet up that are masseurs, gym owners and doctors focusing in the "well being " area. You may still find that you are able to save much valuable time, making connections. The general idea, is to form a "well being" network, that will be able to cater for broad spectrum of needs. This in essence is the objective of BEAP, which is common with most areas of business. They also offer a paid membership area, which offers many services ( which you will need ) if you decide to pursue with your business venture.

Regards

Mick

ps. What is it with this spell check? When I went to school, the English spelled favor favour!! Mind you, that was a while ago, but the Oxford dictionary still lists it that way, phew!

valuable information, thank you very much!!

LOL, if you are using a Microsoft package then your spell check may be American?!

:smile:

Archived