Insurance cover when renting fully furnished?

Guest jenny4nails

Guest jenny4nails

Hellooooo.....

Can any of you wise people out there tell me... roughly how much we can expect to pay to insure the 'contents' on our fully furnished rental?

We have a 4bed 2 bath home in Wurtulla, Sunshine Coast.

As the furniture/contents belong to the owners of the property, we want to make sure everything is fully insured just incase of accidents or unforeseen events etc.

Fingers crossed we'll never need to use the insurance, but better to have it than not in our opinion.

Look forward to your replies

Thanks in advance

Jenny

Guest tenquidder

Hi Jenny

Cal is right, insurance is the owner's responsibility. Not sure about Qld, but in NSW you pay a bond of 6 weeks rent for furnished accommodation. This is meant to cover any damage during your tenancy. All you need to insure are your own personal effects.

Whereabouts in Nottinghamshire are you from? I was born in Hucknall (but been in OZ for a while).

All the best

Chris

Guest prettyinpink

Hiya Jenny, we're renting a 4 bed house in WA. The building is covered by the owners insurance, we just insure the contents, i.e. our own possessions (it wasn't furnished when we arrived).

For that we pay approx $300 per year, which covers $50,000 worth of contents.

Hope that helps.

Guest The Pom Queen

Hi Jenny

Like Cal says, the owner should be insured for contents, however, are you after insurance for your own personal belongings?

If it's just for the furniture etc in the rental most landlords will ask for a bond and if anything is damaged this would be deducted from the bond and you may be charged for any damage, however, if the owner is insured then they should be able to claim on their insurance and you may just have to pay the excess.

Guest homeiown.com
Hi Jenny

Like Cal says, the owner should be insured for contents, however, are you after insurance for your own personal belongings?

If it's just for the furniture etc in the rental most landlords will ask for a bond and if anything is damaged this would be deducted from the bond and you may be charged for any damage, however, if the owner is insured then they should be able to claim on their insurance and you may just have to pay the excess.

One thing to keep in mind - your landlord might have what is called "landlords insurance" but in many cases it covers malicious damage and doesn't cover accidental damage. By law, like Kate said, you are liable for any damage you have caused and will have to pay for repairs or replacement. If the bond is not enough to cover the whole amount, they will charge you for the rest too.

I have posted a detailed explanation of all the kind of insurance including the kind you're interested in - renters insurance, have a look:

Home, Mortgage, Landlords and Renters Insurance explained | Home I Own, Aussie Real Estate Blog

Archived