Which NVQ????

Guest nforne

Hi!

I'd like to emigrate to Australia via the General Skilled route. My job is on the SOL (Graphic Pre-Press Trades person). I've worked in this capacity for 13 years, but have no related qualification.

An opportunity has arisen for me to study for a City & Guilds NVQ in Printing and Graphic Communications. I have the choice of either Level 2 or Level 3. Both are assessed by work-based assessment. The Level 2 should take 12 months and the Level 3 18 months. It isn't necessary to gain the Level 2 before taking the Level 3.

I'd be really, really grateful for any advice about what route to take to maximise my chances of a successful application. :)

hiya, just read your post. if i can offer any advice i would go straight into Level 3. i am an N.V.Q Assessor and also level 4 qualified in Health & Social Care.

Level 2 N.V.Q is an intermediate level equivalant to GCSE grade A-C. Level 3 is advanced level, equivalant to A level. I think you would have a better chance of securing a job over in Oz. Hope this helps. Dawn :)

Thanks Dawn :)

What's confusing me is that I've heard that the amount of study time needed to gain a qualification is taken into account by the TRA.

In the past, you had to go to college on day release for several years to get the qualification I'm after (to Level 3). A friend of mine who did this emigrated successfully a couple of years ago and he would have racked up a lot of study time in the process.

The system has changed and the same qualification is now gained by work-based assessment. According to the people at the college I should be able to reach Level 3 in 12 to 18 months because I'm already very experienced. As it is work-based there will be little or no dedicated study time.

I'm worried that, even if I get qualified, the TRA will say haven't done the required amount of study time...

:?: :?: :?:

Hiya, all i can sugest is that you speak to your current employers and ask if you can have allocated study time to help build up your hours.

If your employer requires you to gain the award, then they have to allocate you study hours. If you are achieving it for TRA purposes then i would speak to the college and ask about any NVQ workshops that they run, to enable you to build up study time.

When i was completing my Level 4 award in Health & Social Care, i was also very experienced, and my award took me 9 months to complete. i too was work based assessment, but every time i worked on my award i put it down as study hours. It was surprising to see how many hours i had calculated.

If needed try to get in touch with TRA or an migration expert who may be able to offer more advice on how many hours are required.

hope this has been of some help.

Dawn

Archived