Guest lovediving

Be aware of asthma in australia

Guest lovediving

Hi guys,

I want people to know that Asthma here is rife. I have hardly spent any time home due to it recently always in hospital.

Please be aware that if you come here you need to get a proper asthma plan because it is really bad here for some reason.

regards

Guest HappyBunny

There was a post on here back before christmas asking whether people with asthma had found their asthma had got worse when they emmigrated to Australia. For the life of me I can't find it but the outcome was that there was a mixed response.

Some people had got worse but the majority had noticed no change or had improved.

There was also no correlation between states probably due to a combination of influencing factors such as:

- the different weather in each state

- the individuals trigger factors

- the severity of their asthma.

Unfortunately you seem to have got worse, my daughter on the other hand is much improved, gained weight and has a lot more get up and go than she had in the UK. Hopefully you will feel better when you are back in the UK but please think about what you write before you post and don't scare people, who are considering emmigrating or are in the process, into thinking that all asthmatics get worse in Australia as it is not true.

Some people are better in the dry climate a friend of mine went to London and had to leave and go over to Oslo because her asthma got so bad she needed drier air. As there are so many different allergens around everyone is different. I cannot use chlorine bleach when my daughter is around, new paint etc affects her. Also some furniture which has been treat with fire retardant chemical can upset people.

Ideal house for asthmatic, no carpet, no curtains, no dust of any description, natural fabrics no synthetics.

Petals

:ssign15:taking no prisoners :wink:

Guest Furball

TBH - in the 2 months I was in Oz, neither I nor my other half had a sniffle or a wheeze in sight - and this from someone (me) who has allergic asthma set off by all sorts and the OH who sniffles and wheezes *permanently* in the UK... Other family members and friends have experienced the same thing - no-one has got worse over there, in fact all have improved (*touches wood*) so I'm afraid you've had a bad run and your particular sensitivities are affected. It doesn't however mean that everyone or even the majority will be. Everyone is different and everyone has different triggers.

I do hope you have a good doc though and are feeling better soon.

Lissa x

Amazing! A lot of ent consultants and chest physicians in the UK recommend their patients go to warm drier climates so their asthma and other upper respiratory tract symptoms will hopefully clear up!

Fibrous Plasterer (dryliner) MODL 4412-11 - AQF3/Pathway E TRA sent 8/4/09 passed 6/5/09 - 175 visa lodged 2/6/09 - Medicals received 4/4/11 - Police checks uploaded 3/11 - More work evidence sent 14/6/11 - APPROVED 16/6/11

My Asthma is far worse in the winter, with the cold bitter winds etc also dry central heating doesn't help, so out comes the humidifier at night! In the summer, that is if we get one, not a wheeze in sight, so i'm hoping living in oz will be a great improvement.

Oz is Beautiful, but the uk is home :wubclub:

Returned to Bournemouth 20th August 2010

Amazing! A lot of ent consultants and chest physicians in the UK recommend their patients go to warm drier climates so their asthma and other upper respiratory tract symptoms will hopefully clear up!

That is so true, they also say living by the sea helps also x

That is so true, they also say living by the sea helps also x

I didn't know that. But I suppose the sea air is supposed to be good for health in general. Although cars rust quicker. Hard decision, good health and a rusty car?

Fibrous Plasterer (dryliner) MODL 4412-11 - AQF3/Pathway E TRA sent 8/4/09 passed 6/5/09 - 175 visa lodged 2/6/09 - Medicals received 4/4/11 - Police checks uploaded 3/11 - More work evidence sent 14/6/11 - APPROVED 16/6/11

Guest donovan

I have to say that since moving to the Gold Coast, my son's Asthma has not been a problem, he has only used his medication once sine we moved here in Aug 07

Sarah x

I have to say that since moving to the Gold Coast, my son's Asthma has not been a problem, he has only used his medication once sine we moved here in Aug 07

Sarah x

Thats really good positive news for your son, I hope he continues to improve.

All sounds good postive thumbs up for most asthma sufferers . As an underlying factor stress doesn't help asthma so i guess oz is a little less stressfull than the uk!

Guest earlswood

I did notice quite a few of the people I worked with in O z had asthma.

It is getting worse world wide.

The countries which are worst affected by asthma are Ireland, the UK, Australia and New Zealand. Those least affected include Albania, Romania, Georgia and Indonesia.

• In Australia, one child in six under 16 has the condition
  • In Western Europe, the number of asthma cases has doubled in the last decade
  • in the USA the number has risen by 60% since the early 1980s. Around 5,000 Americans die from asthma each year. Asthma is 26% more prevalent in black than white American children
  • around 8% of Swiss people suffer from asthma, compared with just 2% 25 years ago
  • there are an estimated four million asthmatics in Germany
  • some three million Japanese suffer from the condition, of whom 7% have severe symptoms and 30% have moderate problems.

Guest earlswood
Thats really good positive news for your son, I hope he continues to improve.

All sounds good postive thumbs up for most asthma sufferers . As an underlying factor stress doesn't help asthma so i guess oz is a little less stressfull than the uk!

I would say it is more stressfull than the UK especially the first few years when you are trying to settle....stressfull people will be stressed in Oz if they are stressed in the UK and laid-back people will be the same in either Country...

I did notice quite a few of the people I worked with in O z had asthma.

It is getting worse world wide.

The countries which are worst affected by asthma are Ireland, the UK, Australia and New Zealand. Those least affected include Albania, Romania, Georgia and Indonesia.

• In Australia, one child in six under 16 has the condition

• In Western Europe, the number of asthma cases has doubled in the last decade

• in the USA the number has risen by 60% since the early 1980s. Around 5,000 Americans die from asthma each year. Asthma is 26% more prevalent in black than white American children

• around 8% of Swiss people suffer from asthma, compared with just 2% 25 years ago

• there are an estimated four million asthmatics in Germany

• some three million Japanese suffer from the condition, of whom 7% have severe symptoms and 30% have moderate problems.

I've missed Stat Boy. Glad to see he's still saving us all by advising us of those all important stats. Thanks.

Guest earlswood
I've missed Stat Boy. Glad to see he's still saving us all by advising us of those all important stats. Thanks.

No problem lad....betterhaving facts than heresay and gossip...

Guest Deb62

Hi;

My understanding is that the rate of asthma in Australia is worse than the rate of asthma in the UK. For that reason I was concerned about my daughter who is mildly asthmatic. But in a five week holiday in Brisbane she didn't need her inhaler once.

Deb

Guest earlswood
Hi;

My understanding is that the rate of asthma in Australia is worse than the rate of asthma in the UK. For that reason I was concerned about my daughter who is mildly asthmatic. But in a five week holiday in Brisbane she didn't need her inhaler once.

Deb

Good news....different people react to different areas....peopel who have never had asthma in the UK might find they get it in Oz and visa-versa....Oz and the UK are two of the worst in the world for asthma while other Countries do not get it....why do people in Albania never get it?

I know from myself and having children with asthma problems that the worse kind of asthma can be stress related asthma and reading the threads the other day from lovediving the panic and stress would obviously have been making things worse.

Its a horrible illness and the nebuliser isn't nice can I ask you lovediving have you settled in OZ do you have a network of friends over there yet maybe once you have settled more your asthma may settle more?

Make sure your Doctor understands the full picture so he can fully understand and treat your condition. Hope you feel better soon.

Lyn (50) Barry (39) Ross (9) IT WAG !!!

OFFERED 457 ON 18/02/2010 started 457 1/3/2010, CO ON 04/03/10, 457 awarded 16/3/10,arrived 23/4/10

Guest lovediving
There was a post on here back before christmas asking whether people with asthma had found their asthma had got worse when they emmigrated to Australia. For the life of me I can't find it but the outcome was that there was a mixed response.

Some people had got worse but the majority had noticed no change or had improved.

There was also no correlation between states probably due to a combination of influencing factors such as:

- the different weather in each state

- the individuals trigger factors

- the severity of their asthma.

Unfortunately you seem to have got worse, my daughter on the other hand is much improved, gained weight and has a lot more get up and go than she had in the UK. Hopefully you will feel better when you are back in the UK but please think about what you write before you post and don't scare people, who are considering emmigrating or are in the process, into thinking that all asthmatics get worse in Australia as it is not true.

Hi,

Did not mean to write that with the effect of scaring people sorry if it came out that way, personally I have got it bad but then again you are right that not everyone will have the same experience.

Sorry did not mean to make it sound like it is just Australia I obviously cannot cope with the climate and that does not mean that any of you thinking of moving here will have the same problem.

Thanks

Hi,

Did not mean to write that with the effect of scaring people sorry if it came out that way, personally I have got it bad but then again you are right that not everyone will have the same experience.

Sorry did not mean to make it sound like it is just Australia I obviously cannot cope with the climate and that does not mean that any of you thinking of moving here will have the same problem.

Thanks

That is true climate change does not suit everyone, The cold air effects me badly, where as heat and pollen etc doesn't, It depends highly on the individual

Hope you are feeling better x

Guest lovediving
That is true climate change does not suit everyone, The cold air effects me badly, where as heat and pollen etc doesn't, It depends highly on the individual

Hope you are feeling better x

Hi

Thanks I was in hospital yesterday and they think it is more than asthma now, had a ct scan and there is something going on but please dont listen to me as I am very stressed right now not even sure what is going on. I am either asleep or passing out and the ambulance service are getting paid a huge amount from me because of it.

I cant log on again today am going back to bed.

J

Guest Deb62

Hi; Sorry to hear you are so ill. I hope they find out what is wrong quickly.

:hug:

Deb

Guest technohive

I think that you should need to clean your house often as well as there is some car right now which is asthma free. Refrain from using stuff with hairy texture.