Since arriving have you managed to find work ?

Stuju

Have you managed to get work here in Oz ?  

49 members have voted

1. 1. Have you managed to get work here in Oz ?

• yes pernament part time
    • yes pernament full time
    • casual
    • sponsored work via visa
    • no still looking/having troubles
    • no need to work retired
    • own business

Hi

Just was wondering how things are going for everyone is Oz espec the new arrivals regarding work.

I do know from experience how very very hard it can be to get work & although things are not as bad in Oz as the uk at the mo

how are you all doing ?

My hubby managed to get a member on here a job where he works as the guy was having troubles, its not easy alot of the time.

But thats the beauty of the site we can help one another & be supportive.

Cheers

stuju :-)

I voted, my hubby has been in pernament full time work since being here, i had a pernament full time job for 6 months then got laid off, after a while trying to get work i got another job spent 3 months as a casual (on probabation) then a month in limbo then offered a pernament part time position & had another 3 months probabtion - so all in all done 6 months probabtion & now just out of it so hopefullu will receive some full benefits at last

Ju

Guest spottymercedes

We have been here since May 08. My OH came out with a job working for the same company he worked for in the UK, although here it is only a fraction of the size it was in the UK. He has hated it from day one as the people he works for are not nice to him. You couldn't meet a nicer friendler person than my OH so he has trouble understanding why everyone is not like him. He has been looking for another job since about July/August and there are jobs advertised but he never gets them. He is now putting the wheels in motion to start his own business as the pay he gets is nowhere near enough to live on and if we don't do something soon we will have no savings left.

He is in Engineering, just in case you were wondering.

Guest spottymercedes

Stuju, I apologise as I think I have voted for the wrong choice. I have voted as still looking/having trouble, when he is actually working full time, but we have been looking since July/August and are having trouble. If we had come out with no work, then I dread to think where we would be now, as I honestly don't think we would have found anything.

We have been here since May 08. My OH came out with a job working for the same company he worked for in the UK, although here it is only a fraction of the size it was in the UK. He has hated it from day one as the people he works for are not nice to him. You couldn't meet a nicer friendler person than my OH so he has trouble understanding why everyone is not like him. He has been looking for another job since about July/August and there are jobs advertised but he never gets them. He is now putting the wheels in motion to start his own business as the pay he gets is nowhere near enough to live on and if we don't do something soon we will have no savings left.

Hi, I will never understand it, why peeps cannot be pleasent to each other at work, god you gotta be in the same place at the same time & get on with it, it crazes me.

I hope that things look up for you both & that your oh manages to get his business going ok guess its gonna be alot of hard work (you need a bloody licence to fart here !!!!)

Keep us all posted - im sure many of us in oz will be able to help with advice etc if ya need it.

keep smiling

ju

Guest guest17301

A very good question Stu-ju. I was just saying I feel lucky to be a nurse and have a job to go to as I know people are getting the rug pulled out from under them when they think they have a secure job offer.

I hope my husband manages to find employment once we are out there, he is unskilled as such so I don't really know what his prospects are.

Guest prettyinpink

Hubby started work 4 days after we arrived.

I have got a part time job in a local school, which works great for me. Start in Feb, wish me luck lol

Know how your oh feels I have had 2 jobs one with asn agency crap money treated like a lepor basically cos you are a pom etc, left because the pay went down to $18. Got a job here now its oik some of the blokes are complete @@@@ blank you etc. One thing i miss about old job the banter between the blokes p***taking was the norm but it was light hearted and everyone gave as you got . Here no banter try for a laugh and it goes over there heads. If you like drivin a big loud v8 burn the rubber off the tyres then constantly moan you are skint you would be ok. The thread about there being jobs on seek etc is a bit ambiguous becos 1 job can be advertised by many agencies so 10 job ads would be for the same ad . I went for a job only to be told there was not a job but just wanted to look at you. Why look at an ugly git like me the mind boggles

Mally

What type of engineering is your husband in? My husband is a CNC setter/operator and we have been told that there would be loads of work for him when we move out there.

tasha

Guest PommieLady

Nurses on permanent visa will have no problems finding work (cos we're lovely :laugh:) including securing permanent employment for arrival. Best done independently though, not through an agent.

Telephone interviews are horrid but if you've done your homework won't be that bad.

:smile:

Guest Working to fish

Causal for 1st job i had here lasted 3 months then gave it up ,still waiting for super from them.

Job 2

1st week causal then offered full time after 1 week ,now after 7 months have been put back on causal as they say work is slowing down ,still waiting for super.

now looking into working for myself as i did in the uk ,or might say sod it and good back to uk (not sure yet).

eddie:sad:

Know how your oh feels I have had 2 jobs one with asn agency crap money treated like a lepor basically cos you are a pom etc, left because the pay went down to $18. Got a job here now its oik some of the blokes are complete @@@@ blank you etc. One thing i miss about old job the banter between the blokes p***taking was the norm but it was light hearted and everyone gave as you got . Here no banter try for a laugh and it goes over there heads. If you like drivin a big loud v8 burn the rubber off the tyres then constantly moan you are skint you would be ok. The thread about there being jobs on seek etc is a bit ambiguous becos 1 job can be advertised by many agencies so 10 job ads would be for the same ad . I went for a job only to be told there was not a job but just wanted to look at you. Why look at an ugly git like me the mind boggles

Mally

I LOVE reading your posts ... you are so funny, this made me laugh so much. The guys you work with who do not laugh with you must have no sense of humour. We are coming over to Perth mid February, would love to meet up with you, maybe bring or buy you a beer? Hubby a brickie and have a 2 and half year old daughter, staying in Clarkson for a week and Mandurah for a week. If you are free, let me know, Amanda

Archived