Guest lanac

Dental Hygiene exams & visas!!!

Guest lanac

Hi everyone, I'm new to the site & am hoping to find out all the low down on making the move!

I'm currently working as a dental hygienist in the UK & am currently beginning the process of taking the various exams to allow me to practice in Oz.

Can anyone help with advise or tips on this subject along with visas & time frames etc. Am currently 38 & so can't make it in on the Skilled Ind visa but believe there may be an employer sponsored - is it the 457?

Any help really appreciated as we'd like to get out of the UK pronto...as it's freezing!!!

Thanks, lanac

Guest Gollywobbler

Hello Lanac

Welcome to Poms in Oz.

Dental Hygienist is here:

Dental Hygienist 3492-13 - Australian Skills Recognition Information

The full, authoritative description of the occupation is here:

1220.0 - Australian Standard Classification of Occupations (ASCO) Second Edition, 1997

Which exams are you taking at present? Vetassess will not settle for anything less than either an AQF Diploma or its overseas equivalent. To determine whether a British qualification is equivalent to the AQF Diploma, Vetasess rely on whatever the Country Education Profile for the UK tells them about the British qualification and its rating in comparison with the AQF Diploma. If in doubt, consult Vetassess about whether they will be content with whatever qualification you are doing:

Qualification Assessment

With regard to visas, how old do you expect to be by the time you will be able to submit your visa application, please? Your overall points total will depend on your age on the day the visa application reaches DIAC. You cannot apply for the visa until you have first obtained a positive skills assessment from Vetassess.

Aged 38, you currently have 20 points for Age. That will drop to 15 points on your 40th birthday.

In relation to Points (which in turn determines which visas you might be eligible for) I reckon it is best to start with the Points Test for the subclass 175 visa, which requires 120 points. If there is going to be a Points shortfall, using he 175 test will prove it:

Skilled – Independent (Migrant) Visa (Subclass 175)

At the moment, I get 85 Points for you. You could get an extra 10 points by obtaining 7.0 or above in each pf the four modules of the IELTS General Test:

IELTS: International English Language Testing System

However that still only gives you 95 points, so a subclass 175 visa would not be possible.

OK - not the end of the world. A lot of people cannot get enough points for the sc 175 visa.

Do you have any rellies in Oz, please? If so, where do they live and what relation are they to you, please? A Family Sponsored 176 visa only needs 100 points and gives Permanent Residency on Day One, though it is a far from ideal choice of visa just at the moment.

Failing Rellies (and currently better than Rellies) would be State Sponsorship. It is always difficult to discuss State Sponsorship many months before it will be possible to make an application for it because the States each publish Lists of the occupations they are prepared to consider sponsoring migrants for. These lists change fairly frequently.

At the moment, Tasmania is offering Dental Hygienists sponsorship for the subclass 475 Skilled Regional Sponsored Visa:

http://www.development.tas.gov.au/migration/Tasmanian%20SRS%20List.pdf

Migrating to Tasmania

However I do know that Tas are reviewing their lists in the light of the 1st January changes to the skilled migration program. They have not yet said whether they intend to publish a new List but my guess is that they might well do so sometime in the next couple of months. It is a matter of keeping an eye on their website for the time being.

The page linking you to all of the State & Territory Migration websites is here:

State & Territory Migration Sites - australia.gov.au

At the moment Tasmania is the only State making a positive bid to attract you. The 475 visa is here:

Skilled – Regional Sponsored (Provisional) Visa (Subclass 475)

Australian General Skilled Migration Booklet

Best wishes

Gill

Guest lanac

Hi Gill

Thanks so much for your reply. I have waded through lots of web sites recently & understand that there is an exam procedure set up for overseas qualified hygienists.

It appears to comprize of a written (which can be done in uk - at a nominated dental school) and a clinical assessment (3 days in oz). If successful this entitles the canditate to become registered on the state dental boards & therfore able to practice.

My rellies in melbourne are all second cousins so no points there!! I'm hopefull that there may be a way forward on an employer sponsored visa??? Again as early days still not sure in which order to do what and when! I have taken the first small step of ordering some new text books and begun to task of trying to revise and refresh!! Slightly daunting after 12 years but must stay positive.

Will check out the state sponsored route - hadn't looked at Tasmainia!

advice much appreciated

kind regards

lanac

Guest peteandnikki

Hi lanac, have just been through the process, if I can help, please just drop me a line regards pete

Guest lanac

Hi Pete

Thanks for your reply. I have recently sent all my qualifications etc to vetassess - waiting 6wks now so expecting something from them soon. If all comes back ok the plan is to apply for WA state sponsorship.

I suppose my big worry is that as I am nearly 12yrs qualified and although have work full-time since i'm concerned how much therory etc I need to revise in order to be ready to sit the exams in the Uk & then OZ. It would be really good just to get the low down on the exams/gen process & basically for some encouragement that it is actually possible to succeed!!!? You are the first person I have heard from that has done it. It is a long held dream to make a temp or perm move down under & although this is the only way at this stage looks like a mountain!

Guest beezkneez

HI Lanac

How are you getting on?

I am a hyg to so am interested to see how you are getting on

Thanks

Hi

I believe this agent who posts on here was a dentist in OZ..

Les Mighalls, MARA Reg. No. 0639714

Migration Assistance Australia

www.migrationassistance.com.au

Maybe try sending him a PM..

Agent appointed March 2008, TRA SUCCESSFULL 8/8/08 (Electrician) MODL 175 LODGED 28/8/08.. PCCS received 13/2/09, Meds done 18/2/09.OFF CSL 16/3/09..Applied Qsld SS 19/3/09..Qsld SS APPROVED 18/6/09..VISA GRANTED 23/7/09..Validated 13/12/09..Moved 6/6/10.

Guest peteandnikki

Hi lanac, hope all is progressing well, and my info helped,please donot hesitate to contact me should you need anything else regards pete

Guest lanac

Hi there,

I'm pretty daunted by entire process but I will definatley give it a shot! I've had great advice from a hyg who has been through the exams etc. I am waiting for vetassess & then state sponsorship before I really begin big time revising. Vetassess should be sending results any time now its been quite slow.

I hope once I start studying again i'll get into it! I think it may be idea to attend refresher courses if some available.

lanac

Guest natwarlal90

hi lanac

I am a dental hygienist working in london, i am immigrating next mont but dontknow where to start with studies.please let em know how you are coping with it,may be we can give assignments to eachother and get through this tough phase of passing this exam

navdeep chohan

uk

Guest natwarlal90

hi Lanac i am a dental hygienist working in london, I am moving to australai in september ,I have to go throught the exam process,please do contact me and we may be able to share to load

navdeep

Guest lanac

Hi Navdeep,

Really sorry for the delay in getting back to you. We're just back from our summer hols in France where we thankfully found some sunshine!

To give you some background info I qualified 12 years ago & haven't really kept upto date with all the changes over the years. To that end I'm pretty daunted by the entire process but I will definatley give it a shot! I've had great advice from a hyg who has been through the exams etc. I have just had a positive response from vetassess & then we have to apply for state sponsorship before I really begin big time revising.

I hope once I start studying again i'll get into it! I think it may be idea to attend refresher courses if there are some available.

It sounds as though you are well ahead of me if you are heading out in September. Out of interest which visa did you go for? Where in Oz are you headed? Have you done the written exam over here yet?

Keep in touch & try to keep positive, which is what my husband keeps telling me!!!

All the best.

Lana

Guest natwarlal90

hi Lanac thanks for the reply

My family is all in australia ,I am heading to melbourne.I also qualified 9yrs ago, not far from you .so learning all again is a very pressurising, I dont understand when uk dentist can work in Au without exam,why so much fuss about Uk hygienist ,and is a very costly buisness,900 dollars for written and then 1900 dollars for practical that goes on for three days!

I dont have any tips so far, if you know any please let me know.I havent even sent my certificates to VITASSES.

navdeep

Guest peteandnikki

Hi lanac, just a note to see how things are going, have you sat your exam yet? have you book your practical ? regrds pete

Guest luo2ang

hi,also new to site.In same boat as you,but have been qualified for 20 years.Any info on what I need to do to work-in Sydney suburbs.Have done CPD,but I feel i know nothing.Very scared at prospect of more exams,feel I may not even get my name correct on exam paper!Any help and pointers?Husband has a job,but feel I would like to work.thankyou.

Guest peteandnikki
hi,also new to site.In same boat as you,but have been qualified for 20 years.Any info on what I need to do to work-in Sydney suburbs.Have done CPD,but I feel i know nothing.Very scared at prospect of more exams,feel I may not even get my name correct on exam paper!Any help and pointers?Husband has a job,but feel I would like to work.thankyou.

Hi you will need to contact the Tafe in Adelaide and arrange to have a written exam either at your school in the UK or over here (oz). Then the practical in Adelaide which is sat over three days in November and may of the year, anything else dont hesitate to contact me on pw509@hotmail.com