Is it worth it, Pros & Cons

Guest dupester

Guest dupester

Hi All,

Well to start with with tell you abit about myself. I am 41 years old originally from Nottingham, joined the army in 86, moved out to Germany in 87 and have been here ever since. I left the army in 93, but carried on working for them as a Storehouse Depot Manager (sounds more glamourous than it is lol).

I have a German wife of 41 who speaks excellant English, 3 kids son 16, daughter 11 & youngest son 9.

I have read all about the skills and points systems etc., I have a few skills acquired over the years inluding ECDL, but nothing spectacular. What realstic chances do I have of getting a sponser?

Sorry for the long intro, but thought it should just about cover everything then.

All the best

David

Guest gladiator ace

Hi David,

we have spent the last 2 years and wasted 6 grand on visas buying into the dream of australia. the reality is the ozzys are hiding the fact there is a big recession over there and taking advantage of desperate working class brits telling them their skills are in critical shortage and if you spend around $12000 aud dollars they will let you live there!!! its an outrage...

Guest WARDStoOZ

Hi and welcome to PomsinOz David!

Australia is a beautiful country and the lifestyle seems to be amazing!

You only live once... Good Luck!!!

Dan :-)

Guest gladiator ace

Hi David

You will love ozz if you are wealthy enough not to work. Indeed it is a beautiful country. But I am told the novelty soon wears off when you cant afford to feed your family...

Good luck bud I hope you live the dream

Hi David, Gollywobbler (Gill) hopefully, will respond to your post, she's great at answering these questions regarding visa's , providing links etc.,

I would disagree with Gladiator from a personal perspective. My family and I migrated 2 years ago, Didn't have enough money to not work, the novelty hasn't worn off and we've never not managed to feed the family. We live within our means and have an enjoyable life here ....

Ali

Guest gladiator ace

sorry if i offended ali,

glad you are the positive type and getting by and managing to feed the hungry mouths. keep it up.

Guest chris_mac
Hi David,

we have spent the last 2 years and wasted 6 grand on visas buying into the dream of australia. the reality is the ozzys are hiding the fact there is a big recession over there and taking advantage of desperate working class brits telling them their skills are in critical shortage and if you spend around $12000 aud dollars they will let you live there!!! its an outrage...

Gladiator, you had your dream and it didnt work out.. Why shout, scream and be down right negative leaving horrible posts and spoil every one elses dreams?

Other peoples personal circumstances and finacial situations and ATTITUDES may be diffrent to yours and as such may be the best thing in their lives that they do...

Give it a rest! and if you cant say anything nice for a change then dont bother.

Hi All,

Well to start with with tell you abit about myself. I am 41 years old originally from Nottingham, joined the army in 86, moved out to Germany in 87 and have been here ever since. I left the army in 93, but carried on working for them as a Storehouse Depot Manager (sounds more glamourous than it is lol).

I have a German wife of 41 who speaks excellant English, 3 kids son 16, daughter 11 & youngest son 9.

I have read all about the skills and points systems etc., I have a few skills acquired over the years inluding ECDL, but nothing spectacular. What realstic chances do I have of getting a sponser?

Sorry for the long intro, but thought it should just about cover everything then.

All the best

David

No one can tell you if its worth it you have to try it for yourself, it works out great for some people and for others it does'nt, depends alot on individual circumstances. l don't think theres a recession in OZ yet , unemplyment is still low, but Even if OZ is the greatest country in the world to live in if the only job you can get is flipping burgers and can't make enough money to get by you would probably hate it, but if you get a well paid job you like and can afford to live somewhere nice you are much more likely to like it. Also it depends on what part of OZ you move to, its a vast country different states and cities are very different, you might hate living in one state but love another, For example living in Cairns with tropical beaches , rainforests and tropical climate is totally different to lving in Hobart Tasmania with Snowcapped mountains and cold climate similar to England.

Hi David,

I see your glass is not half empty, Visa application can take 2 years or more and you knew that before you started. This financial meltdown started a few months ago.... skills visa have been available for YEARS. You CHOSE to spend 6 grand. Skills visa are available because Aussie will take people with those skills- Did they threaten to break your legs if you decided not to apply?

Desperate working class brits?? They have "council estates" here that Rottweilers are afraid to enter.

Visa's are like eggs at Asda, on sale, on offer but not mandatory to purchase.

Well we spent 4 years waiting and and processing. Not counting £15000 + on three recce/holiday visits. our visa'a and AOS bond cost around AUD$78000. Add to that we "lost" £45000 from the house valuation/best offer price.

Me and OH are here on Contributory Parent visa's and although we are allowed to work, fact is we never will.... so we cannot even start to claw back any of our costs.

The Aussies have a well managed immigration system - which offers a multitude of visa's allowing entry. As opposed to the UK - which has a system that nobody understands and is not workable. The Aussie computerized system records EVERY person coming and and every person going out.. so they know how many over-stayers they have. When caught... they are flirted out of Aus ASAP AND have to pay for the detention costs! UK dont even know how many illegals there are..and when caught they only have to say...I dare not go back to XXXXX I will be killed..and the Human Rights brigade step in!

YES, Aussie is suffering like every other country just now and un-employment is rising. They also say the will "Protect Aussie jobs" which means cut backs on work sponsored visa.

Too really bore you. long before you were born.... as a kid I used to say to my gran, I wish I had XXXX or I wish I could go to XXXX and every time my gran would say... "If you really want something that much, you have to make the effort and have the determination to get it because nobody will give it you for nothing".

We are in the process of buying a property. The Government will give us $24000 for buying a new house as a first time buyer. No Stamp duty under $500,000. What did Browns lot do in the UK.... reduce stamp duty a little to the point on no real effect.

My "dream" to be in Aus started in 1950 - I got here November 2008!

Finally, to those who dream about Aus from adverts - you need to come here and travel away from the tourist spots in cities and see the real Austrlia before you decide its the place to be for the rest of your life.

I dont know about life in Germany, I am ex RAOC ( 23881673 yer never forget the number!) (B2 Storeman) but never got to there. Maybe now is not the time. But for all information about visa opportinities:-

www.immi.gov.au and do some home work.

Guest chris_mac

Excellent Post Lanky Lad

I wish you and your family all the best in Australia...

Chris

I see your glass is not half empty, Visa application can take 2 years or more and you knew that before you started. This financial meltdown started a few months ago.... skills visa have been available for YEARS. You CHOSE to spend 6 grand. Skills visa are available because Aussie will take people with those skills- Did they threaten to break your legs if you decided not to apply?

Desperate working class brits?? They have "council estates" here that Rottweilers are afraid to enter.

Visa's are like eggs at Asda, on sale, on offer but not mandatory to purchase.

Well we spent 4 years waiting and and processing. Not counting £15000 + on three recce/holiday visits. our visa'a and AOS bond cost around AUD$78000. Add to that we "lost" £45000 from the house valuation/best offer price.

Me and OH are here on Contributory Parent visa's and although we are allowed to work, fact is we never will.... so we cannot even start to claw back any of our costs.

The Aussies have a well managed immigration system - which offers a multitude of visa's allowing entry. As opposed to the UK - which has a system that nobody understands and is not workable. The Aussie computerized system records EVERY person coming and and every person going out.. so they know how many over-stayers they have. When caught... they are flirted out of Aus ASAP AND have to pay for the detention costs! UK dont even know how many illegals there are..and when caught they only have to say...I dare not go back to XXXXX I will be killed..and the Human Rights brigade step in!

YES, Aussie is suffering like every other country just now and un-employment is rising. They also say the will "Protect Aussie jobs" which means cut backs on work sponsored visa.

Too really bore you. long before you were born.... as a kid I used to say to my gran, I wish I had XXXX or I wish I could go to XXXX and every time my gran would say... "If you really want something that much, you have to make the effort and have the determination to get it because nobody will give it you for nothing".

We are in the process of buying a property. The Government will give us $24000 for buying a new house as a first time buyer. No Stamp duty under $500,000. What did Browns lot do in the UK.... reduce stamp duty a little to the point on no real effect.

My "dream" to be in Aus started in 1950 - I got here November 2008!

Finally, to those who dream about Aus from adverts - you need to come here and travel away from the tourist spots in cities and see the real Austrlia before you decide its the place to be for the rest of your life.

I dont know about life in Germany, I am ex RAOC ( 23881673 yer never forget the number!) (B2 Storeman) but never got to there. Maybe now is not the time. But for all information about visa opportinities:-

www.immi.gov.au and do some home work.

For those who try living in another country/culture at some stage in their lives, many of them probably won't lie on their death bed saying "Gee I wish I had never tried that". Probably the other way round, i.e. "I had a shot at something different". Once again, life is not set in concrete. What is the worst possible scenario? Return home - not always the easy option either, but Brits have been pingponging back and forth from the two countries for 200 years, and the future will be no different.

Guest Geordieinaus

Australia pros & cons:

Pros: Good restaurants @ reasonable prices...sunshine

Cons: Aussie nasal accent, 'howyagahn', crap TV, too far from any other country ( now we know why the convicts were sent here), aussie patriotism and arrogance for their national teams in sport, Kevin bloody Rudd and his 'australian working families'

These comments are to be taken with the proverbial 'pinch of salt' :biggrin:

Guest bexrobertson

:unsure:Hi,

BY the end of this message I will of asked a million questions, so I will apologise now.

I am 25yrs old and training to be a mental health nurse i have 2 yrs left. My husband is 34 and already qualified and has 3 yrs experience as mental health nurse. We have 2 young girls Ellie almost 3 and Grace 6 months. We have wanted to move to australia since we have been together.

Can you tell me how secure our jobs would be there?

Any idea of places good for nursing and a young family?

Is it true some hospitals will pay for nurses visa's?

Someone told me that because mu husband is already qualified and has experience that we will be able to go to oz as soon as i qualify. is this true?

sorry for all the questions

Becky

Archived