Sign in to follow this  
Guest Wallace

Arriving on a temporary visa and converting to permanent residency

Guest Wallace

:arghh:Hey guys!

Just a quick question to get some feedback from you all regarding change of visa.

I am just interested in finding out how long it took people to perhaps decide they wanted to stay in Australia post-arrival in the country on a more permanent basis than previously considered.

I guess this post is slightly more aimed at people that had never visited the country before and decided to apply for a temporary visa, perhaps e.g. 457 visa and then arrived in Australia ... and are perhaps now thinking what the process / options are to apply for permanent residency in Australia.

I know it is really a personal and rather individual decision to live somewhere on a longer term basis, however I would like to know what made people decide they wanted to stay and how long it took them to make this decision.

My husband I arrived on a 457 visa in September 2008, so not that long ago... however we are settling pretty well out here and can potentially see ourselves settling out here longer-term than originally anticipated as we had never been to Australia before. We are both health-care professionals and could either have our employers nominate us for a PR visa or go down the general skilled route. We have been told that being on the critical skilled shortage list can speed up the application process times and we are both on this list so this could work in our favour.

For all of you guys that are also members of PIO and moved out to Victoria in September 2008 - How are you finding it and are you glad you made the move??

Hope to get some feedback.

Cheers and Happy New Year to you all.

We went thro ens route oh a nurse from lodging to gettin pr took a week, they rush thro nurses apparently. Only wait was when Hospital put nomination forward some bureaucratic berk left the letter on her desk and forgot to tell anyone. From lodgin at perth diac took 1 week and that was wiyh missin a letter from employer in uk about employment record

Mally

Here at last:jiggy:

SUFC life not a pastime

I limit myself to 2 drinks a day, I`m now 10 years in front make that 15

Guest Wallace

Surely there has to be more of you out there that have transferred from 457 visa to PR visa after you have arrived in Australia??

Guest JoanneHattersley

I did too. My PR application took total of 6 months! 4 of those was waiting for appt to see consultant due to my epilepsy. Had to have medical reports etc etc!

Talk to Gill (gollywobbler) - she`ll give you all the ins and outs

Guest Weemac

Hi all,

Long time no see...I am interested in any more information on moving from a 457 to perm residency...just putting feelers out!!...so bumping this back into the fray!!

Enjoy,

Mac in Gero and luvin it