plumbers thread queensland

Guest snow white

Hi Lesley

Have just had the time to read the whole thread and you seem to be the Queen of Plumbing!!!

We are arriving on the 15th April just wondering if you could pm me with details of colleges my oh could apply to to get his plumbing/gasfitting licence so he can start looking for work as soon as we arrive. As you have said in previous posts if you can help us so we are not running around like you were we would be really grateful.

Thanks Kate

Hi Kate phil

are you staying with cal n Gary in jimboomba? If so she is lovely and will help you out loads cal like me has also been on a bit of a tradies mission looking into licences etc to help people get a headstart on Arriving most of my paperwork is packed away but will have a look and see if I can find out the courses and college info for you plumbing wise that's the hardest and you will need course passes to gain full licence back

make sure you bring your gas licence card from uk withyou you should be able to get your full licence here after sitting listening to a gas course seminar for a couple of hours that you pre book on arrival and on showing that card

Let me know if there's anything else I can help you with

best of luck in April

Lesley x

• Replies 165
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Hi Kate

forgot to ask has phil got his LPG ??

If not do course in uk he will need it here and it is much easier to add it in uk then here believe me

Lesley x

Guest KateandPhil

Hi Lesley

We are staying with Cal n Gary when we arrive. They have been a great help already.

Phil has got his lpg he thought it might be useful.

Thanks for all your help. Will be in touch soon

Kate x

• 2 months later...

Hi everyone,

We've really enjoyed reading the thread and hearing all the plumbing up-dates. I wonder if any of you could advise us on our situation.

We already have our visa VE 175 (I'm a nurse)

OH is a plumber 20yrs exp and NVQ 2.

Does anyone know if level 2 is enough for provisional registration in QLD, or would we be better paying for him to do level 3 whilst we're still in the UK (and he has a job for portfolio etc)

Any feedback would be great, we're absolutely desperate to get out asap, but want to arrive fully prepared.

Thanks

Guest Bonzie
Hi everyone,

We've really enjoyed reading the thread and hearing all the plumbing up-dates. I wonder if any of you could advise us on our situation.

We already have our visa VE 175 (I'm a nurse)

OH is a plumber 20yrs exp and NVQ 2.

Does anyone know if level 2 is enough for provisional registration in QLD, or would we be better paying for him to do level 3 whilst we're still in the UK (and he has a job for portfolio etc)

Any feedback would be great, we're absolutely desperate to get out asap, but want to arrive fully prepared.

Thanks

hello, you will get a provisional licence with an NVQ 2, I know because I did, the hard bit is getting your full licence. You can work for a plumber with a provisional, the only thing you cannot do is get work signed off by the council plumbing inspectors so this means that you cannot do your own work (legally anyway) as it would not be approved. Plumbing licencing courses usually run from Feb to december, the course you would have to do would be 2/3 days a month at college over the 10 months, its pretty straight forward stuff and easier still after you have done a bit of aussie plumbing and know the correct swear word to use when the pipe does not fit! In addition to the plumbing licence you will need a building services authority licence. I am not sure if you can get one with a provisional licence, it might be that you have to work for the one company rather than be a subbie (if that makes sense) and be on their books. I work as a sub contractor and have my bsa in gas , plumbing and draining, before I was fully licenced i worked for other companies as a permanent casual, ie no holiday or sick pay. Hope this helps rather than adds to the confusion.

hello, you will get a provisional licence with an NVQ 2, I know because I did, the hard bit is getting your full licence. You can work for a plumber with a provisional, the only thing you ......................... Hope this helps rather than adds to the confusion.

That's great and thanks for the prompt reply, He's always worked for a company here in the UK, so that won't be a problem. I'm glad they recognise the level 2 as was going to cost us £7.5 to upgrade to level 3 through one of the UK private centers.

At least now we can apply for his licience and hit the ground running.

Big Thanks agin. :biggrin:

Guest Bonzie
That's great and thanks for the prompt reply, He's always worked for a company here in the UK, so that won't be a problem. I'm glad they recognise the level 2 as was going to cost us £7.5 to upgrade to level 3 through one of the UK private centers.

At least now we can apply for his licience and hit the ground running.

Big Thanks agin. :biggrin:

Glad its helped, just to let you know that the Queensland Plumbers and Drainers Board ( those in suits that make the rules) is now known as the Plumbing Industry Council. What this means is that the same people are in charge, just decided to call themselves a different name and create some jobs in the printing and logo industries, lol. They do have a website for upto date info. The standards we plumbers work to are known as AS 3500 4 . The 4 I think stands for 4th edition, its worth seeing if you can get hold of a copy and have a butchers, it will then make more sense when you actually do the work. The work is different but nothing that a good pommie plumber cannot handle, just need a bit more sunscreen on your ute than the uk. Some of my previous ramblings have contact details for the Tafe college i went to . Best of luck. PB PS another good web site to try is Queensland master plumbers, equivalent to institute of plumbing in uk.

• 2 months later...
Guest KateandPhil

Hi Bonzie some great info. My oh is a Gasfitter/plumber. Looks like his gas license is on its way but not much gas work around. We have just moved to Buderim so near the Mooloolaba TAFE can my oh ring the tutor there for a chat about his plumbing license? Do you have his contact details? Would be grateful for any help and info.

Guest Bonzie
Hi Bozie some great info. My oh is a Gasfitter/plumber. Looks like his gas license is on its way but not much gas work around. We have just moved to Buderim so near the Mooloolaba TAFE can my oh ring the tutor there for a chat about his plumbing license? Do you have his contact details? Would be grateful for any help and info.

Hello, yea the man to see is bob walters, his contact details are

Robert.walters@deta.qld.gov.au course number is 39206qld, phone no 07 5459-3720

You will need to do the BSA management course to get a bsa (building services authority) licence if you want to become a subbie, the bsa I am pretty sure are an extension of the old third reich or at least some of them act like it , LOL. I think the new plumber/drainer course covers the solar/ heat pump endorsement ( i got mine through the master plumbers, more expense but we will not go there). The master plumbers are a good bunch to join as they give you vouchers for training so what you pay in membership you get back plus good for advice. If you need more info give us a shout, I have put other posts on this thread, bye for now PB.

Guest KateandPhil

Thanks for that. I will get my oh to give him a call. It seems like its pretty easy to get the gas licence but more complicated for the plumbing side of things. Hope you don't mind but we may be picking your brains again soon lol. Thanks again.

• 2 weeks later...

nice to see the threads still going and helping lots of our tradies out there bonzie good on ya for all the info recently

lesley x

Guest T j win

Hi all we will be arriving in Brisbane Friday25th june and staying on the gold coast for approx 4weeks to sort things out (at last)

Iv been a plumber/heating eng for over 20yrs with advanced plumbing city&guilds,corgi reg and the new gas safe reg.and also my own business for 5yrs,

I also have a permanent resident visa,

Just wondering what should I do first and what licence’s will I be able to get…

Thanks …Tony

Guest KateandPhil

Hi mate

I arrived 13th April had a months hols and then started looking for work and licences etc. Its a bit of a nightmare to say the least. From most threads on here you will be under the impression you can get a full gas licence straight away not any more. I have just been rejected because I need to get an RPL (recognised prior learning) cert from a TAFE (college) these are resonably new changes. Can't advise as yet as I am currently going through the channels. As far as plumbing goes you can get a provisional licence but not a full licence until you have completed a 10 month p/time TAFE course and have practical experience in Australia. That creates its own problem because no one wants provisional plumbers only full licence all good fun!!

Dont know what your plans are when you get here but no doubt we will meet in a classroom somewhere. PM me when you get here and I will send you my number and we can have a chat, I should know more by then too.

Guest KateandPhil

Sorry to be the bearer of bad news but better you know where you are.

Not all bad tho if I knew this before I left I would still come. Great lifestyle, great people, great beaches, great fishing....................and a whole lot more.

Guest Bonzie

Have just read the last few replies, bit of a bugger that they have moved the goalposts re the gas licences. With the plumbing side of things you can still work for someone with a provisional licence, just means you cannot be self employed , if you want to be that is, as only full licence holders can get work signed off by the inspector. All plumbing apprentices only get a provisional now after they have done their 4 yrs, to get a full licence they have to do the same course that immigrants have to do, ie a mix of plumbing and business management. Was told recently that it will be a self certification system , ie like the gas, you do a job and sign the ticket to say its all pukka, probably within next 18 to 24 months. Also looking like us plumbers will no longer need to get a bsa licence so that should save us a few bob each year in fees. Always good to look on the bright side of life, dada da dede da da etc. lol. Bonzie

Archived