Air conditioning and working with disabled people jobs in Oz

Guest 113guinness

Guest 113guinness

Hi all, I have briefly outlined our circumstances in the dilemma topics but have also posted this as this area is a bit more specific.

Anyway my wife and i both 34 years old are in the very early stages i;e only just speaking to agents and doing research etc. I have been driving construction machinery for around 10 years mainly on rivers and sites and also in the forestry trade however as work was slow and wages not great i started retraining in the air con trade around 12 months ago and have really progressed as i am now specializing on the commissioning and service side,i've looked online and there does seem to be plenty of this type of work paying around 65-70k$ per year and it looks like it's a required skill on the list.The ideal outcome would be for me to learn a bit more then maybe get a position with Mitsubishi or Daikin (main UK A/C brands)followed by a transfer to their Australian branches although i would have to be very very lucky for that to happen, i doubt that i would be granted a visa unless I'm fully trained otherwise i would look into carrying on my training over there but again that's unlikely to happen.My wife works with adults that have learning disabilities,downs syndrome and autism etc,she loves her work and would like to continue that career,does anyone know the correct name for that job over there?.Here she is a day services assistant within social services.

As we are only just starting we are planning the move in around 18-24 months to allow for visas and tying up of various commitments here, also to allow me to gain a lot more knowledge in the a/c trade.

Any ideas/advise on any of the above would be great, we are most likely looking within the Perth area if that helps.

many thanks

DEC

Hi 113guinness,

On another thread somewhere I mentioned that my son was doing his 2nd year apprenticeship as a aircon/refrigeration mechanic (here called a 'fridgee' !). There is a company called Hastie Services which operates here and is apparently a UK company. Google them I am sure you will find them there. Also I am a Disability Support Worker, we have many CRU (Community Residential Units) here and there is plenty of work there. That is assisting a handful of residents in a shared house. If your OH is a qualified teacher of Special Education she can teach in some of the schools here as well. Look up the Department of Human Services in Victoria, or similar Department of Community Services in other States, and you can click onto their job opportunities. There is plenty of casual/part time work. There are agencies. Good luck!

cheers

Olly

Melbourne Victoria

Guest 113guinness

This site is unbelievable i've been on other expat sites for weeks and got nothing on any thread,i post on this site and within 20 min i get 3 very useful replies on different posts.I shall be on here constantly.

Huge Thanks DEC

Guest 113guinness
Oh, just to let you know that my son told me that it is on internet under

hastiegroup.com.au and it shows all their locations Australia wide, and they're big!

cheers

Olly

Thanks again

Archived