Sign in to follow this  
Guest threespire

Newbie - hello , a million questions !!!!

Guest threespire

Hi there,

First can I say what a brilliant site this is !!!!! We love it already !!:yes:

We're a family of 5 - me 36 Mum to the 3 youngsters, hubbie 34 and in IT and 3 kids Elodie (nearly 4) and twins Finn and Ruby (8 months).

We've just started the process - IELTS booked (we need proficient level points) and Skills assesment sent off to ACS, applying for 175 PR visa. My sis lives in Sydney but I think we're possibly looking at Sydney or Melbourne or possibly sunshine coast???

Anyway, just wanted to say hi and ask a few questions which all seem chicken and egg at the minute .........

We know visa may take 18 months from lodging to be processed and just wondered at one point has everyone sold their house? Is it best to wait til the visa is granted , but then selling may take forever? Also woried if visa refused for some reason and then we've already sold?

Also am I right in thinking once the visa is granted you have 6 months to activate it - is this just a case of my hubs (or all of us) flying out there and then we can come back to sort things out here? How long after that do you have to become resident?

Last question for now - promise!! - we obviously need to send lots of certified doics of with the various applications and have read in different places who can certify them. One says it must be a JP or notary public - another says a practicing medical practitioner, bank manager, solicitor etc. - can anyone tell me for definite please?:err:

Thankyou for all being here, look forward to hopefully hearing back from some of you,

Kirsty, Nathan and the kiddywinkles xx

Guest harrison family

Hi Kirsty, Nathan & Tiddywinkles,

Welcome to POI, as you say what a great site it has been a god send to us.

To answer some of your questions you usually have 12 months to activate your visa once you get it and that date is from when your police checks or medicals were done (whichever was 1st).

I believe that all of you have to activate them together, you then have 5 years to re-enter Australia and i believe have to live there for 1year in that 5.

We had a agent who organised having our various documents certified, i would recomend having a initial chat with an agent most do not charge for a initial chat, I am sure Gollywobbler (gill) will be along shortly to offer some great advice. She is a wealth of knowledge.

Good Luck

Sallie Harrison

Agent appt Nov 07

Vetasses Jan 08

TRA Assement Apr 08

Visa lodged online June 08

Case officer Oct 08

Police checks Nov 08

Meds done Dec 08 and now we wait patiently

Guest snoo

Hi Kirsty....welcome!!

I'm Lisa (38) and we have had our PR 176 family sponsored visa since Oct 2008...Lodged April..so 6months lodge-visa!! I think someone has been pulling your leg about it taking 18months!! Unless you are a 'hairdresser from India' (that's a joke!)

What I would advise you to do is GET ON WITH IT!! It was all of the paperwork before lodgeing that took about 12months! BUT....we did take our time and should really have more on the ball!!

A JP will do your certifying...free of charge. Anyone else will more than likely charge you and it could be quite a lot!

You will need to do your meds and police checks....generally about 3 months (my opinion) after lodgeing (we did ours 4wks after lodgeing which was way too soon!!)..then you have 12 months to ALL validate the visas from the date of the meds/pc's.

After validation you have 5 yrs to take up PR.

I would put your house on market now personally! We've had ours on for almost 3yrs!!!!! Although things are looking up and we have 3 viewers this week who have nothing to sell...so no chain!!

Anything else (I'm sure there will be...LOADS!!)...feel free to ask away!

Lisa,x

Guest Dionne and Rickie

Hi there we are going on a 175 visa we applied in Oct, we are not front loading our meds we are waiting to hear from case officer. Once we hear from then we are going to put the house on the market and hopefully the market has picked up by then.

Hope this helps, dont be affraid to ask any other questions.

Guest threespire

Thanks everyone - that's so helpful already!

What's a TRA????? We have to have a skills assesment (well hubs does) by the Australian Computer Society - paperwork being sent this week so will have a PSA (Positive skills assesment hopefully at some stage) is this the same as a TRA?

He has IELTS test booked feb 7th then we await results from both and will get rest of visa app ready in the meantime with a view to lodging it by June this year.

We are not using an agent as it all looked pretty straightforward (if long winded) - just out of interest how much does one normally cost? and are they worth it?

Many thanks ,

Kirst xxxx

Guest Dionne and Rickie

Hiya yeah the TRA is the skills assessment it stands for Trades recognition Australia we think our agent was worth it but in reality Rickie still had to fill most of the visa form in on paper then the agent did the rest online and he corrected anything that was wrong, they charged us £1000 which didn'nt seem that much considering how much it all costs anyway, whats another grand lol. Wich reminds me got to save for flights now.

Dionne.xx