The Cox's

Mental health nurse;unhappy w/ job

Any mental health nurse out there who are happy with their job?I'm working in NSW south eastern health,been here 4months,didn't think much of it.Thinking of relocating elsewhere (Perth,QLD,Tasmania),but we really love the area here.Anyone have any experiences where they work in these 3 states please share your views.

Guest proud2beaussie

Perhaps you could explain a bit further?Like what it is about the job that you don't like,the reason I ask is that the things you are unhappy about may be a common problem in the field elsewhere within Australia so moving may not be the cure.

Plus sharing your troubles always helps,just getting them off your chest might make you feel a little brighter.

Guest PommieLady
Any mental health nurse out there who are happy with their job?

Always sad to hear' date=' but not surprising, that another RMN is unhappy with the state of psychiatric nursing (here in Australia).

I'm on my 5th community post in 4 years, but my current which I've had for nearly a year and a half I think is as near perfect as I'm going to get.

To be honest moving from WA to Tasmania for me was to prevent me from having to return to the UK, and it has worked. I had even thought about becoming a social worker (sorry was that the scream of a thousand nurses :biglaugh:) and had even agreed with my husband that I would start a part time Clinical Psychology master in Feb (I have Psychology BA) but have decided that I actually love being a nurse (been my job for 20 years) and is the job I want to do. So am finishing off my nursing masters this year with a view to doing the nurse practitioner course next year.[/font']

I'd love to help in anyway if I can, let me know by pm.

:wubclub:

Thanks for your replies its great to hear from other psych nurses. I was meant to start in a brand new rehab unit in September 2008!!! (still not operational) All I can say it what a complete shower of ****!!! The management are shocking beyond belief I have constantly been lied to and pushed from pillar to post it has been very unsettling to say the least. Its hard enough leaving ya comfort zone moving to another country and then the working enviroment is just as bad. I will never say another bad thing about the NHS. The staffing levels are dangerous only 4 staff to 20 patients. The management want us to run the rehab unit in a therapeutic way running groups etc but with only 4 staff its going to be very difficult to say the least. Can others tell me what the staffing levels are like in other states? I wish I had done more research but you never really know how things are going to be until you are here. We really like the look of Tasmania any info you could give us would be greatly appreciated. I too love nursing and don't really want to give it up. I have since found out that the hospital I work at has a very, very bad reputation especially mental health.

Guest sandy25

Hi, hope it all works out for you, it must be difficult, like you say moving to another country, finding your work situation difficult. I'm a mental health nurse in England, moving to NSW. Can you give me any advice on working places to avoid. I'll probably be moving to terrigal area central coast. I've read some horrendous articles about psychiatric patients been chained to beds in a&e due to shortages of beds on psychiatric wards. Sounds awful. I'm disillusioned with psychiatry in England and I believe I have had the best job for me in a Primary Care Mental Health Team. But, unfortunately this is all changing. I'd like to work in the community in NSW, any advice would be greatly appreciated I'd like to stay in nursing too. I really hope it all works out for you. Wendy

Australia is very under resourced compared to MH in the NHS. I worked on the ward initially and was ready to leave after 4 months, care plans which never got looked at. Aus seems to be very medically orientated, in part that may be becuase MH nursing is not a speciality course, the students get a few weeks training. I too love nursing, and like the patient contact. The NHS was developing a good system of Primary Care, Crisis Home Treatment, Assertive Outreach and community mental health teams, backed up with psychological services. Here, I find that despite having psychologists on the team - alot of work is sent on to non government organisations.

Ali

I just want PIO to be a happy place where people are nice to each other and unicorns poop rainbows

Guest sandy25

Hi Ali, what a shame, never mind. I suppose it's just about being optimistic, no matter what. Staying true to whats important. Hard I bet when trying to settle into a new country and way of life also. Hopefully many more mental health nurses from England will join us and we'll all be singing from the same songsheet.

Guest PommieLady
Hopefully many more mental health nurses from England will join us and we'll all be singing from the same songsheet.

There are already loads and loads of us out here, and if you read the national frameworks regarding mental health services, its really very good. To be honest I think the service in Tassie is loads better than WA, most staff here in Tassie are from Tasmania or the mainland, whereas they are in the minority in WA.

I sometimes think its same name different job.

I am hoping that whent he ANMC take overall control of clinical governance of nursing nationally (instead of the independent state boards) in 2010 we might see some changes in the role of nursing within psychiatry/mental health.

Guest The Thomsons
There are already loads and loads of us out here, and if you read the national frameworks regarding mental health services, its really very good. To be honest I think the service in Tassie is loads better than WA, most staff here in Tassie are from Tasmania or the mainland, whereas they are in the minority in WA.

I sometimes think its same name different job.

I am hoping that whent he ANMC take overall control of clinical governance of nursing nationally (instead of the independent state boards) in 2010 we might see some changes in the role of nursing within psychiatry/mental health.

I have been a community mental health nurse for 10 years now (in the UK) and have just started applying for jobs in WA. How is it so different from the UK? Please tell me the bad bits ,warts and all, so I can feel more prepared (getting really anxious now).

Great replies folks! Tassie is sounding very very tempting indeed that was one of our options before we moved to NSW. It is very beautiful here and I suppose when you put things into perspective the lifestyle makes up for the crappy job (god I hate saying that!!!) Pommielady can you tell us a bit more about Tassie please many thanks. Dan.

Guest kate1973

Hi,

I am in the procces of getting a visa and hopefully moving to Adelaide this year, I am a social/welfare worker but my experience lies in the Forensic Psychiatry, right now I am working with adults before that I have worked with youth and would love to continue working in a Psychiatry, in Holland where I live teams are a mix of social/welfare workers and registered nurses, but I found all the positions in AU are for registered nurses, is this correct?

Guest PommieLady
Hi,

Forensic Psychiatry....I found all the positions in AU are for registered nurses, is this correct?

Hi

I work in community forensics and its very mixed accross the statewide service, and the contact I've had with other forensics teams indicates the same in other states.

You will though get paid loads and loads more than the psychiatric nurse you are sat next to, even though you've got the same job description :arghh: and irrelevant of your mental health training :arghh:

send me a pm if you want more specific info.

Good luck