Guest soapy

do you get colds in oz?

Guest soapy

as i sit here freezing with the fire burning andtissues by my side i just wondered...

when in aus will i ever et a cold again? :huh:

happy 2009 to you all- wherver you are.

suz x

Guest John Sydney

For the first year you may get away from not feeling cold. But after a year or so your blood has thinned out and you feel the cold For myself any temperature under 20 deg C is cold 15 deg C is freezing stay in bed temperature

Guest sunseekers

Hi

I Know how you feel, I seem to get every cold going always have, Except the one year of my life i spent in Australia when i did not get one illness/cold/bug etc etc. Its one of my main reasons for going x oh...just thought...I did break my foot though, dont think that counts really lol x

Guest PommieLady

when in aus will i ever et a cold again?

You are funny :biglaugh:

When you are stressed you are more likely to 'get a cold'. Plus all the usual hand hygiene stuff.

Re the temp over here. One of the reasons we moved to Tas was my husband finding WA to hot, particularly as a delivery driver in the hills. Whilst I found it blooming cold, especially the winter. No need for ac for me.

When we arrived I was so surprised to see gloves and scarfs for sale, it was over 40 outside. That winter I had pjs, bed socks, hot water bottle, dressing gown and throw just to watch the telly at night.

As a community nurse it was difficult to dress for getting into cars that turn into ovens and visit clients who live in fibro houses with no ac and return to an office with the ac set at near freezin with the office staff and managers in long sleeves and full length trousers, some managers even wear suits!

It took me a long time to understand why all the shopping malls were always full and no one was on the beach, air con!

Anyway, if you're moving over to Oz and are planning to have a better quality of life, more R&R and less financial stress etc, then hopefully you'll have better physical and mental health :smile:

LOL, you are joking, right? Of course you will get colds and probably quite a few to start off with as you encounter strains that you may not have encountered before.

I know of more kids here who have had middle ear infections as a result of their colds with resultant grommet operations than I ever met in UK so, yes, you will get colds!

Guest earlswood

I had loads in Oz, You get more colds and virus in Oz as the warmth does not kill off the bugs, on the News in the UK with tempratures in some parts going down to -11 doctors are happy as it will kill of loads of nasty bugs etc..

as i sit here freezing with the fire burning andtissues by my side i just wondered...

when in aus will i ever et a cold again? :huh:

suz x

So many are caused through A/C

"640K ought to be enough for anybody." Bill Gates 1981

Guest fatpom

when in aus will i ever et a cold again?

suz x

I can honestly say I get a lot less colds in Aus... not sure why?

I hardly ever get a cold. I do not put that down to being in Aus or anywhere else I just think some people seem to get them and others do not. Depends on immune system.

Petals

:ssign15:taking no prisoners :wink:

Guest guest17301

Colds are airborne viruses. They are spread through coughs and sneezes. Colds and flu are more common in cold weather (Influenza is extremely rare ouside the months of Nov-Feb) Draw your own conclusions. I expect less colds in Australia. For the record I rarely get colds and flu but have suffered around 3 in the last 2 years all around the christmas period.

Guest ozboy

The weather in OZ is'nt warm all year round as some people think, most of OZ has four seasons except for the far northern tropical part of the country. In winter it can get very cold, down to zero degrees and just below and it snows in southern Australia.

people in OZ get cold and flu just as much as people in the UK.

Guest spottymercedes

I have had loads of colds since being in Oz. My kids have had loads too.

Guest earlswood
I hardly ever get a cold. I do not put that down to being in Aus or anywhere else I just think some people seem to get them and others do not. Depends on immune system.

Intresting fact...the healthier you are the more chance you have of catching a virus....something to do with how effecient your body works.

Guest Tim

I've a stinking cold at the moment even in the heat. Blame it on swimming as midnight on NYE. :nah:

Guest Working to fish

In 11 months i have had 1 cold ,only for a coulpe of days ,back in the uk i had 2 or 3 a year . I think the heat here plus being out and about more helps .

eddie

:wink:

I've a stinking cold at the moment even in the heat. Blame it on swimming as midnight on NYE. :nah:

Tim old chum apt name swimming at that time)

Was that alcoholic bravado or what did you forget about Mr pointer and his mates your cold must have put him off lol

Mally

Here at last:jiggy:

SUFC life not a pastime

I limit myself to 2 drinks a day, I`m now 10 years in front make that 15

Guest Tim
Tim old chum apt name swimming at that time)

Was that alcoholic bravado or what did you forget about Mr pointer and his mates your cold must have put him off lol

Mally

Swimming pool Mally.. I didn't think anyone had a drink on NYE???

Guest soapy

thanks- was just asking the whole family are now on drugs so hopefully on the mend :unsure:

still looking forward to that sunshine.....

OH & DS both got colds within a week of arriving, now imagine a temperature in 35 degree plus heat, I think I'd rather have a water bottle and a lemsip in the UK!

OH has suffered a number of minor ailments since we got here, I joked he is busy restocking the medicine cabinet we disposed off before we left! BUT I am glowing, my hair, nails, skin etc. have never been so good - I was obviously meant to live in a hot climate (or maybe it's just because he's started work and I haven't yet??)

Jules