Guest YellowGecko

Australia vs UK : Good Bad & Ugly

Guest YellowGecko

If you have lived in Australia and/or the UK we would like to hear your honest and realistic opinions on the good, bad and ugly regarding both places.

We appreciate this has been done before in bits and pieces, but this time it would be good to keep all the GOOD and BAD points all on one thread. PLEASE.

This thread will no doubt cause some arguments, but we saw a very very interesting post which was incredibly well written a few months ago about some of the "non-eutopia" things about Australia which we have never been able to find again!!!

It would be nice to hear both sides of the story in one thread.

Blaze away...and don't be scared about being honest, we'd like to hear everything!

AUSTRALIA versus UNITED KINGDOM...

GOOD BAD & UGLY!

Guest guest17301

Good thread idea YellowGecko......not sure how 'useful' it will end up being though!..lol

No experience of Oz yet but the UK (and I refer to my part of the world not holiday spots etc) is for me; dull, uninspiring, rough, dangerous in places and tatty. Good points are; some very good and down to earth people, some lovely local countryside.

Guest 0405delboy
Good thread idea YellowGecko......not sure how 'useful' it will end up being though!..lol

No experience of Oz yet . Mthe UK (and I refer to my part of the world not holiday spots etc) is for me; dull, uninspiring, rough, dangerous in places and tatty. Good points are; some very good and down to earth people, some lovely local countryside.

Plenty of experience in both places. Australia; dull, uninspiring, rough, dangerous in places and tatty. Good points are; somevery good and down to earth people (nearly all are foreign) and lovely scenery round the coastlines although New Zealand is way more pleasing to the eye.

Regards 0405delboy

Guest 0405delboy

Come on YellowGecko, where are you going with this? What are your opinions, you live here after all.

Guest prettyinpink

Am a Northern lass and from this I'd say

The Good: Very friendly people

The Bad: Constant drizzly rain

The Ugly: Hooligans and Hoodies on my old estate

Now I live in Perth, my experience so far

The Good: Beautiful scenery, free parking at beaches and of course the weather

The Bad: The driving over here is pants, people cannot use roundabouts correctly

The Ugly: The complete lack of customer service within the 'big' companies, lack of competition and blatant disregard for customer needs reminds me of the UK in the late 80's, early 90's.

To me I think the difference has morphed in my head into:

UK: Great fun place for adults to go for drink with all and sundry

Aus: Great fun place for kids to play sport or go to a park

Of course, when I read that I think that is ridiculous, given all the awesome times kids have in the UK and all the great pubs in inner city Australia that people love going to.

But, despite it being a gross generalisation, for some reason the feeling never leaves me...the UK is best for party adults and people who want to embrace adulthood and Australia is for children and people who want to play with their kids.

In the UK I observed many children who were part of adult rituals and couldn't wait to grow up, in Australia I see more parents wishing away their problems and dreaming of being children again.

That's why I think emigrants to Australia who are looking for a better life for their children will succeed where those looking for a better life for themselves may not....just my humble opinion.

Guest YellowGecko

My wife and I have made an extensive list, as we have lived in both places for sometime, and once enough opinions and lists have been voiced on here we will provide our HUGE list, showing both sides.

Central Scotland:

Good - three amazing & contrasting cities within 50 miles (Edinburgh, Glasgow, Stirling). Strong sense of history & belonging. Spectacular countryside on the doorstep, mountains for biking, climbing and snowboarding a day trip away.

Bad - The weather - so unpredictable

Ugly - Neds, poverty & associated crime and violence in certain areas

Perth/Fremantle

Good - The beaches, closely tied to the weather (although it is a matter of opinion, my 5 year old was crying yesterday & said he wants to go back to Scotland because it's too hot here - it was 38 degrees and hotter today!) People have gone out of their way to welcome us. BYO almost everywhere, even went to a club last week to see a live band and it was BYO food and drink. Although the 'cost of living' is comparable it actually costs less to live as there is so much to do for free so long as you take a picnic! Shopping locally is a real pleasure (especially Freo market for fresh produce).

Bad - kids menu's are less common and additive-free food is harder to find. I've not met anyone yet who claims their ancestry is Australian. Urban sprawl - Perth is a collection of villages rather than a coherant city (villages with identikit malls!)

Ugly - prejudice towards ethnic minorities is accepted

Just to throw a spanner in the works...let me, as an aussie, start off the aussie criticisms:

- spread out and lonely suburbs where it helps to already know people you went to school with.

- crap pubs once you leave the traditional 1970's border of the original old cities and enter the suburban spread.

- cheap clothes - specially in the hotter climates where clothes are not as important.

- "greatest country in the world" - too ready at the lips of tv commentators and some gullible public.

- verbal cricket team - they go over the top sometimes beyond my liking - though beating the poms is still the ultimate (take that as flattery as the indians soon may replace you - and us)

- the use of the word "bugger" - I like it but my oh so proper english sister in law insists it's rude - i say bollocks to that :)

- inferior chocolate - or so my english wife tell me :)

- an affinity with most english (and british) people we meet but a sharp reaction to snobby english people - sorry we (I) can't help it - like a lot of english, australians are brought up generally to be direct and equal so we react badly to snobbery, even though Australia is full of it's own version of it.

- Some really hot places where you might not cope - some very outback places where you might not cope - some cold places where you might not cope - some lonely places where you might not cope - some places with crocodiles where none of us would cope :)

- I can think of many more but they are generally human conditions that we all suffer from - not just Australians.

Central Scotland:

Good - three amazing & contrasting cities within 50 miles (Edinburgh, Glasgow, Stirling). Strong sense of history & belonging. Spectacular countryside on the doorstep, mountains for biking, climbing and snowboarding a day trip away.

Bad - The weather - so unpredictable

Ugly - Neds, poverty & associated crime and violence in certain areas

Perth/Fremantle

Good - The beaches, closely tied to the weather (although it is a matter of opinion, my 5 year old was crying yesterday & said he wants to go back to Scotland because it's too hot here - it was 38 degrees and hotter today!) People have gone out of their way to welcome us. BYO almost everywhere, even went to a club last week to see a live band and it was BYO food and drink. Although the 'cost of living' is comparable it actually costs less to live as there is so much to do for free so long as you take a picnic! Shopping locally is a real pleasure (especially Freo market for fresh produce).

Bad - kids menu's are less common and additive-free food is harder to find. I've not met anyone yet who claims their ancestry is Australian. Urban sprawl - Perth is a collection of villages rather than a coherant city (villages with identikit malls!)

Ugly - prejudice towards ethnic minorities is accepted

Apologies for focusing on the negative point of your post (I love Edinburgh and Glasgow too :)) but in my life and my peers prejudice towards ethnic minorities is not accepted.

I wonder whether I could just as easily make this point having lived in northern UK as you can hearing it afresh and different in a new country.

I sometimes think the different targets of the prejudice that we are not used to make it more obvious and obscene (this is a good thing).

I know when I moved to the UK I found the attitude of some of my cousins and workmates towards the Indians and Pakistanis who lived there repressive and aggressive. I chatted freely to Indian/Pakistani cab drivers and shop owners and often got the impression that they were surprised and pleased by my friendliness.

I do not agree that prejudice is any more accepted here....we all have our bigots and Australia is very multicultural in its bigger cities.

Guest prettyinpink
Just to throw a spanner in the works...let me, as an aussie, start off the aussie criticisms:

- spread out and lonely suburbs where it helps to already know people you went to school with.

- crap pubs once you leave the traditional 1970's border of the original old cities and enter the suburban spread.

- cheap clothes - specially in the hotter climates where clothes are not as important.

- "greatest country in the world" - too ready at the lips of tv commentators and some gullible public.

- verbal cricket team - they go over the top sometimes beyond my liking - though beating the poms is still the ultimate (take that as flattery as the indians soon may replace you - and us)

- the use of the word "bugger" - I like it but my oh so proper english sister in law insists it's rude - i say bollocks to that :)

- an affinity with most english (and british) people we meet but a sharp reaction to snobby english people - sorry we (I) can't help it - like a lot of english, australians are brought up generally to be direct and equal so we react badly to snobbery, even though Australia is full of it's own version of it.

- Some really hot places where you might not cope - some very outback places where you might not cope - some cold places where you might not cope - some lonely places where you might not cope - some places with crocodiles where none of us would cope :)

- I can think of many more but they are generally human conditions that we all suffer from - not just Australians.

What a fantastic post, I was laughing from the start. You are dead right about a lot of things.

Oh and Fish - you're wife is spot on about the chocolate!!!!

Guest earlswood

UK…..Breathtaking scenery especially my favourite Snowdonia, Britain's magnificent scenery ranges from craggy mountain to fenland; cliff top to beach; mooreland to valleys, woods, forests and lakes and a rolling 'patchwork quilt' of fields leading to villages, historic towns, cathedral cities, castles and stately homes, Cumbria takes my breath away on a frosty cold sunny morning.

History and architecture goes without saying and I would urge anyone to join the National Trust” for a year and more and discover the unbelievable hoard of hidden treasures.

Friendly people especially upt-North where they are always up for chat and a “cuppa”

Great choice of fresh healthy food from all parts of the world due to the mixing pots of nationalities in the UK, you can live as healthy as you can anywhere in the world if you really want to.

The seasons which I must say I love especially the Autumn when I go hiking in Ross on Wye which is stunning.

Brits tolerance to different nationalities and the way in general they take them as they find them except for your typical Daily mail reader who would have them taken out on a ferry and blown up.

Decent Ale….nuff said.

Australia…..Lovely beaches and scenery around Perth great for water sports enthusiasts and Fisherman.

Generally the people are nice and friendly and if you are outgoing you will make friends anywhere in the world (tip…..if you play sports…get into a club…if you are good you will soon make loads of friends) Aussies eat drink and sleep SPORT….sorry ladies but prepare yourself for it.

Sense of space especially when you get out of the city…Oz is big.

Plenty of land which is cheap if you want to self build.

I loved the fast food outlets peppered around perth (I am a sucker for fast food) they tasted far better than the UK as they did not go with the “food police” and cut out all salt and fat, fast food in moderation never hurt anyone.

The weather for some is great but I found it to hot or to cold but at least you could plan a barbi unlike the UK where the weather is so unpredictable.

I liked the way the Australian government do not hand money out to shirkers…get a job or expect little help unless you are 100% genuinely ill and cannot work which should be the policy in the UK with so many lazy shirkers that are costing us billions every year.

At the end of the day it what floats your boat…the UK floats it for me but others are different and Oz is the place……..2 great Countries and we should all feel privileged to have the chance to live in either.

Friendly people especially upt-North where they are always up for chat and a “cuppa”

[/b]

OK Earlsy you can stop bumping up your friendship with Madplumber :biglaugh:

we all know you love each other :biggrin:

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]another year another slogg

Guest slipshot

For me, there are loads of good and bad but one thing that summed it was 'choice' that I missed when I lived in Aus. In everything - cars, supermarkets, shops, clothes...

There was so much more choice in the UK. People may moan, but that's life, although it is or it was a fact that there was less to choose from in Australia, in general. That was for me the biggest difference not that it mattered too much but you will, automatically, make comparisons...

Other things work in your favour though - more choice ways of buying a house and being able to afford land and to self-build - a rarity in the UK.

I must qualify and say I have only lived in Perth a month plus I already had friends here (who are from Perth but I met in Scotland) and they and their friends just like you and your peers certainly wouldn't find acceptable.

I am from Northern England originally and know too well the prejudice towards asians - my two best friends growing up were from pakistan so I witnessed it first hand however I don't think in the UK today the kind of comments I have heard here would be accepted - I am talking in the media and by 'officials', not down the pub in Tower Hamlets.

For example today I went on the Fremantle Prison Tour and the official guide told a 'joke' - it wasn't excessively offensive but was racial in nature & I have never experienced anything like that in the UK.

Very many people in the UK would say 'political correctness' has gone too far - I wouldn't & in my limited experience it has a long way still to go here.

I hope you don't take offence at me responding, I truely hope my friends and yours are the majority here but I wanted to explain why I made that comment.

Jules

Apologies for focusing on the negative point of your post (I love Edinburgh and Glasgow too :)) but in my life and my peers prejudice towards ethnic minorities is not accepted.

I wonder whether I could just as easily make this point having lived in northern UK as you can hearing it afresh and different in a new country.

I sometimes think the different targets of the prejudice that we are not used to make it more obvious and obscene (this is a good thing).

I know when I moved to the UK I found the attitude of some of my cousins and workmates towards the Indians and Pakistanis who lived there repressive and aggressive. I chatted freely to Indian/Pakistani cab drivers and shop owners and often got the impression that they were surprised and pleased by my friendliness.

I do not agree that prejudice is any more accepted here....we all have our bigots and Australia is very multicultural in its bigger cities.

I think its good you responded...thank you.

What was the joke, and what did you hear in the media? I'll try and comment on whether as an Aussie I see it as racist or acceptable.

Hi Jules2409,

After re-reading your post I just wanted to add something else. In my experience both countries think that they are more politically correct than the other.

I have observed that English people often assume that the relaxed, direct nature of Australians means that they are probably less educated and more racist than they actually are - I think preexisting stereotypes of Australians as portrayed by English media throughout their life time exacerbates this - without understanding the different culture.

I have also observed that some Australians have old fashioned views of England as all elitist and racist.

Obviously I am not denying that Australia has its racists, any more than an English person would deny the widespread racism in England.

But I think you will find, (in the big Australian cities) that there is just as many PC, passionate, and committed liberals as in the UK.

Hi fish.01, I have PM'd you (before reading your second reply!) to avoid hijacking this post & also to avoid the risk of offending anyone - it sounds like you're up for a good debate as I would be but I've seen this sort of thing get out of hand of here before.

Jules

Guest earlswood
Hi fish.01, I have PM'd you (before reading your second reply!) to avoid hijacking this post & also to avoid the risk of offending anyone - it sounds like you're up for a good debate as I would be but I've seen this sort of thing get out of hand of here before.

Jules

You have a good point Jules, Australians are like Brits 30 years ago laughing at "Love thy Neighbour, Alf Garnett etc" at the time we did find them offensive until the “thought police” got hold of us….Australians are not in general racist…they just have not caught up yet.

Well now....England: good points are nice scenery in miniature and fabulous history

bad points are miserable weather and British reserve...

Ugly points, racism and miserable weather...

Australia: Paradise....er....well, next stop.

Lived in all states except Tassie, too much like UK (wet and miserable) and Sarf Orstraylya...it's only there to keep WA and Vic apart...

Northern Territory: magnificent

WA: The Kimberlies, brilliant; Pilbara, brilliant; rest of WA, slightly better than average

NSW: pretty in places but a shonky, wonky government spoilthe fishing scene.

Vic: full of Poms and Melbunians who want to come to Qld...:biglaugh:

Qld: AHHH!!! God's special favourite place.:notworthy:

Cheers, Bobj.

• Like 1

UK…..Breathtaking scenery especially my favourite Snowdonia, Britain's magnificent scenery ranges from craggy mountain to fenland; cliff top to beach; mooreland to valleys, woods, forests and lakes and a rolling 'patchwork quilt' of fields leading to villages, historic towns, cathedral cities, castles and stately homes, Cumbria takes my breath away on a frosty cold sunny morning.

History and architecture goes without saying and I would urge anyone to join the National Trust” for a year and more and discover the unbelievable hoard of hidden treasures.

Great choice of fresh healthy food from all parts of the world due to the mixing pots of nationalities in the UK, you can live as healthy as you can anywhere in the world if you really want to.

The seasons which I must say I love especially the Autumn when I go hiking in Ross on Wye which is stunning.

Brits tolerance to different nationalities and the way in general they take them as they find them except for your typical Daily mail reader who would have them taken out on a ferry and blown up.

Decent Ale….nuff said.

Australia…..Lovely beaches and scenery around Perth great for water sports enthusiasts and Fisherman.

Generally the people are nice and friendly and if you are outgoing you will make friends anywhere in the world (tip…..if you play sports…get into a club…if you are good you will soon make loads of friends) Aussies eat drink and sleep SPORT….sorry ladies but prepare yourself for it.

Sense of space especially when you get out of the city…Oz is big.

Plenty of land which is cheap if you want to self build.

I loved the fast food outlets peppered around perth (I am a sucker for fast food) they tasted far better than the UK as they did not go with the “food police” and cut out all salt and fat, fast food in moderation never hurt anyone.

The weather for some is great but I found it to hot or to cold but at least you could plan a barbi unlike the UK where the weather is so unpredictable.

I liked the way the Australian government do not hand money out to shirkers…get a job or expect little help unless you are 100% genuinely ill and cannot work which should be the policy in the UK with so many lazy shirkers that are costing us billions every year.

At the end of the day it what floats your boat…the UK floats it for me but others are different and Oz is the place……..2 great Countries and we should all feel privileged to have the chance to live in either.

Good posts.

I just cannot get into Oz so cannot comment.

Apart from the weather here being s**t my list would be too long of what I dislike but some of it was mentioned above.

However, Britain does good real ale (God bless London Pride), good Indian and Chinese takeaways, Good football on your doorstep, (C'mon Liverpool) and apart from family that is all I would miss.

O and the wages, what you get paid. I have a good job on the railway and get good pay and conditions but there is more to happiness than money.

If it happens then it happens. If it doesn't well it doesn't. Amor Fati !!

Guest earlswood
Well now....England: good points are nice scenery in miniature and fabulous history

bad points are miserable weather and British reserve...

Ugly points, racism and miserable weather...

Australia: Paradise....er....well, next stop.

Lived in all states except Tassie, too much like UK (wet and miserable) and Sarf Orstraylya...it's only there to keep WA and Vic apart...

Northern Territory: magnificent

WA: The Kimberlies, brilliant; Pilbara, brilliant; rest of WA, slightly better than average

NSW: pretty in places but a shonky, wonky government spoilthe fishing scene.

Vic: full of Poms and Melbunians who want to come to Qld...:biglaugh:

Qld: AHHH!!! God's special favourite place.:notworthy:

Cheers, Bobj.

Mate dont know how long you have been away from the UK but... aussies are far more racist than Brits.....fact...and my 2 years in Perth the weather was no better than the south of the UK much more rain in Perth.

Guest Deb62

(But I think you will find, (in the big Australian cities) that there is just as many PC, passionate, and committed liberals as in the UK.)

I think, as a generalization, people in cities tend to be less racist than those who live in traditional and rural communities. We live in deepest, darkest Somerset which is beautiful, but our farming village is deeply conservative and can be highly racist. There is not a single non-white child in the village school, or family in the village. My son even experienced some racism for being Australian when we first came here, including from his English teacher at high school.

In Australia I usually found quite la lot of racist talk, but most people would give the shirt off their backs to some one in need regardless of race of colour.

Deb

Guest petmarchehol

auzzie - unbearably hot,run down, long work hours, no holiday pay, nice beaches, not alot else to do, just bush

uk - better education, unpredicable weather, countryside beautiful, nice summer evenings, best of all family and friends

Guest petmarchehol

sorry forgot

auzzie - dangerous - sharks, stinger jellyfish, spiders and snakes and flys

uk - to wake up to snow is beatiful

you don't know what you have got until you leave and then you realise what you had was better and when return will appreciate it more