Anyone in Townsville!!

Guest simonandwendy

Guest Irvingsago

Hi again,

I'm sure you've seen in threads that Aus in general is very expensive these days, however I'm sure this is due to a number of factors. The cost of living is high ie food is more expensive, as is rent (we pay $465 per WEEK), you have to buy school uniforms (much more expensive), school fees & buy books etc (it cost us $400 for my son just for books & uniform). This could have a particular impact if you have more than 1 or 2 kids. However on the flip side, petrol is much cheaper even though you use more. Also as we rent we dont pay rates & only pay electricity (expensive) & phone/net. I also think you notice it more if you're always converting it back to GBP as the exchange rate so poor presently. I've stopped doing this. As I said we're both professionals & as a nurse I earn enough here to work less so we're better off even with increased childcare costs. If you get permanent residence you're entitled to up to 50% chilcare paid & we're getting family tax benefit which is helping, apply for these on arrival after you've sorted out medicare. It's all worked in our favour & I'd say if you have min £20000 to get you started with a job lined up then you'll be fine as we were & I didn't work for 2 months till kids were settled. We eat out more than we would in UK. Bring ALL you can though as furniture here ridiculously expensive & cr*p. I'm so glad we did it after all the worrying beforehand. :wink:

• Replies 140
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Hi again,

I'm sure you've seen in threads that Aus in general is very expensive these days, however I'm sure this is due to a number of factors. The cost of living is high ie food is more expensive, as is rent (we pay $465 per WEEK), you have to buy school uniforms (much more expensive), school fees & buy books etc (it cost us $400 for my son just for books & uniform). This could have a particular impact if you have more than 1 or 2 kids. However on the flip side, petrol is much cheaper even though you use more. Also as we rent we dont pay rates & only pay electricity (expensive) & phone/net. I also think you notice it more if you're always converting it back to GBP as the exchange rate so poor presently. I've stopped doing this. As I said we're both professionals & as a nurse I earn enough here to work less so we're better off even with increased childcare costs. If you get permanent residence you're entitled to up to 50% chilcare paid & we're getting family tax benefit which is helping, apply for these on arrival after you've sorted out medicare. It's all worked in our favour & I'd say if you have min £20000 to get you started with a job lined up then you'll be fine as we were & I didn't work for 2 months till kids were settled. We eat out more than we would in UK. Bring ALL you can though as furniture here ridiculously expensive & cr*p. I'm so glad we did it after all the worrying beforehand. :wink:

Hi , thanks for the posts. Very useful. Our daughter is doing well at school in UK so we are hoping this will help. When you say year 9 , was that the right year or backward / forward. I ask as im unsure what to do for our daughter. Did you just apply when you got there or before .?

We are taking everything with us as cost to replace would be massive.

Are you on a Perm resident visa then ? we are on a 457 ?

Cheers

Guest Irvingsago

Yes we're on perm residence & I'd really say please try & get it as without it your life is apparently much more difficult when applying for everything. We've been told this by few friends who came out on temp visas (with & without kids). It's opened doors for us & less hassle, apparently even hard to get medicare with temp visa so pls if there's one thing I advise its get permanent res if possible.

My son had commenced year 9 equivalent in Scotland & had 8 wks off over winter (Aus summer) break so I was happy for him to start again. We had option of catholic schools & many of them about but it just didn't sit right for me & boys school was miles from where we live. We discussed in length with people about best public schools & everyone had different opinion. At end of day I couldnt choose my school in Scotland as there was only one locally so I think you've just got to get on with it as they'll get out what they put in wherever they go. I had to wait on schools opening after break to enrol but advice I had prior to leaving was ask as soon as you know where you're going, so I'd get in touch with them before you come over.

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Hi

We arrive in Townsville on the 23rd June !!! Everything is organised now I hope. Staying in Hotel for two weeks whilst we sort out a rental...

Iv been given loads of advice so thankyou , But anything else that might help me now this close will be great help. Looking to move near to pimlico/aitknevale due to schools.

Thanks

• 2 weeks later...
Guest Irvingsago
Hi

We arrive in Townsville on the 23rd June !!! Everything is organised now I hope. Staying in Hotel for two weeks whilst we sort out a rental...

Iv been given loads of advice so thankyou , But anything else that might help me now this close will be great help. Looking to move near to pimlico/aitknevale due to schools.

Thanks

Congratulations that's great news. The next few months will be a rollercoaster ride for you all. Just keep an open mind about suburbs, get a car as soon as you arrive & drive around as we did. Aitkenvale can be run down in some bits, I'd say have a look at websites before you come out & go & see them on arrival. Some of the photos are deceiving! I wish you well.

• 2 weeks later...
Guest tbones

Hey everyone,

Does anyone know where the best places are to shop for baby goods? I've been to ToyRus and toyworld and they have a pretty limited supply of prams ect. Also, I been looking on some English websites and found that the prams over here are so outdated. Where can I get the modern ones like they offer in the UK. Is mail order an option?

Cheers,

Toni

Guest tandcmum
Hey everyone,

Does anyone know where the best places are to shop for baby goods? I've been to ToyRus and toyworld and they have a pretty limited supply of prams ect. Also, I been looking on some English websites and found that the prams over here are so outdated. Where can I get the modern ones like they offer in the UK. Is mail order an option?

Cheers,

Toni

Would it be feasible to get someone in the Uk to buy one for you and then post it over??

Guest tbones
Would it be feasible to get someone in the Uk to buy one for you and then post it over??

Yeah I have thought about that, but the postage charges would be astronomical, especially if I sent it recorded post. :sad:

• 4 weeks later...

hi all im craig from carlisle, england and emigrating to townsville in august 2011. i'm moving to a aussie buddys in west end and hope to meet up with some fellow brits that have made the great aussie leap. i'm a 1st and 2nd fix site joiner by trade and looking to get a job in that field or cabinet making if anyone knows of any jobs going. hope to meet up in august, cheers

Hey!

I have been offered a job at the Uni/Hospital my visa application is underway does anyone have any experience odf how long the 457 visas take to come through?

Also once it does, any tips on where to live? Im coming over on my own and am female lae 20's so I guess I will be lookign for a house share at least at first? Im not really wanting to be out every night anymore but somewhere to pop nearby for a cold one or a bite to eat? Im coming from Manchester...people keep telling me Townsville is very big...do they mean spread out?

Hey Surfy Brit!

Our 457 took ages as there were lots of changes during our process, I think from what others say it takes 2-3 months.

As you are looking to be near eateries and bars you're best bet would be stay around North Ward as that's where the main restaurants/pubs are. Yeah Townsville is very spread out, which took some getting used to for us as we're used to everything being easily accessible and main shopping centres being in relative walking distance of each other-which they aren't here.

Joan

Hey!

I have been offered a job at the Uni/Hospital my visa application is underway does anyone have any experience odf how long the 457 visas take to come through? QUOTE

Our 457 was submitted in April sponsored by the same employer and it came through in 4 weeks.

Will be moving to Townsville end of July as permenant residents from the Isle of Man. Will be staying in a holiday apartment for two weeks whilst we get a house sorted. Kids (21 and 23) moving out later in the year. I have a job sorted but the Mrs is looking for something part-time at the minute.

Would love to hear from people in the region.

• 3 weeks later...

Hi All.

We Arrived ......!!! And wow what a ride we have had. Fun , stressfull and now finally starting to relax. Living on the lakes in Westend and starting to get into the lifestyle !!

Does anyone now of any Mother and Baby groups for me and my daughter ( 14 months ) could do with getting out and about and meeting new people. My daughter has loads of energy and could do with burning it out sometime .

Husband works during the day so im free during the week mainly .

Let me knoow if anyone know groups or activities.

loving the Sun ..

Louise:smile:

Archived